2021 Inaugural Season: Three Rivers Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Milton is going to go 9-1 at worst 8-2 and currently would have a road game week 1 of the playoffs.
I know there has been talk about Milton will soon drop to D5 but how long till that happens?
They would currently be 5th in D5 with their points.
As a D5 they would love this conference but little to no points to compete for a home game in D4.

Milton 5-1 3-0
Northridge 4-2. 3-0
Riverside 4-2 2-1
Troy Christian 3-3 1-2
Miami East 2-4 1-2
Bethel 1-5 1-2
Covington 1-5 1-2. ( It was late after a long day D4)
Lehman 0-6 0-3

Last edited:
Is Covington firing their coach?
Not that I've heard. He is definitely in a tough position though . The wins and losses are one thing but the sudden drop in numbers is more telling.

I cheer for whoever is playing Covington but this year is a little too rewarding. No fun to kickem when their down.

Is Northridge real deal? Is Riverside a contender? Milton better be ready for both.
They lost to Oakwood and Carlisle, after seeing how Carlisle matched up against Monroe, that isn't a bad loss.
I'd say they have confidence that they have never had before. This League isn't having a good year, outside of MU, Riverside and Northridge. I don't think Milton has had a complete game yet. When they do, watch out.

They lost to Oakwood and Carlisle, after seeing how Carlisle matched up against Monroe, that isn't a bad loss.
I'd say they have confidence that they have never had before. This League isn't having a good year, outside of MU, Riverside and Northridge. I don't think Milton has had a complete game yet. When they do, watch out.
I watched Miami East versus Carlisle and I was not impressed by Carlisle

The polar bears are reaping the benefits of a terrible league. Every year they were in the swbl they would get beat down, kids would give up on the year. Not getting beat down has helped them get confidence and we sit on here acting like Northridge turned around 30 years of bad teams over night.
I stated earlier this year about Covington hiring the wrong person and it set their program back and everyone on here assured me that Covington makes good hires. When you only have what 20 some kids coming out to play, you made a bad hire. Wonder how long it will take for them to fix the program, do you give the coach another year?
Crazy to think a league championship will come down to Milton vs Northridge. Never thought I would see that in my life.

The polar bears are reaping the benefits of a terrible league. Every year they were in the swbl they would get beat down, kids would give up on the year. Not getting beat down has helped them get confidence and we sit on here acting like Northridge turned around 30 years of bad teams over night.
I stated earlier this year about Covington hiring the wrong person and it set their program back and everyone on here assured me that Covington makes good hires. When you only have what 20 some kids coming out to play, you made a bad hire. Wonder how long it will take for them to fix the program, do you give the coach another year?
Crazy to think a league championship will come down to Milton vs Northridge. Never thought I would see that in my life.
I think it will be Milton-Union vs Riverside in week 10.

Say what you want. Northridge and Milton are a combined 3-2 against SWBL foes this season. Not sure anyone doubted a middle of the pack SWBL team could win the TRC, so why are we acting so surprised?

Going by the past few years, Milton's SWBL schedule this season would have included:

0-6 Madison
3-3 Carlisle
2-4 Dixie
3-3 Valley View
6-0 Preble Shawnee
4-2 Northridge
4-2 Waynesville

Out of conference would have been the typical 2-4 Miami East, 2-4 Oakwood, and 0-6 Northwestern.

So we're saying that because Milton plays Covington, Troy Christian, and Riverside instead of Carlisle, Preble Shawnee and Waynesville they will be less tested. I see the difference, but I'm not so sure its a BIG difference.

Say what you want. Northridge and Milton are a combined 3-2 against SWBL foes this season. Not sure anyone doubted a middle of the pack SWBL team could win the TRC, so why are we acting so surprised?

Going by the past few years, Milton's SWBL schedule this season would have included:

0-6 Madison
3-3 Carlisle
2-4 Dixie
3-3 Valley View
6-0 Preble Shawnee
4-2 Northridge
4-2 Waynesville

Out of conference would have been the typical 2-4 Miami East, 2-4 Oakwood, and 0-6 Northwestern.

So we're saying that because Milton plays Covington, Troy Christian, and Riverside instead of Carlisle, Preble Shawnee and Waynesville they will be less tested. I see the difference, but I'm not so sure its a BIG difference.

I think the buckeye side of the SWBL was a joke too. I was ashamed Milton couldn’t win more league titles on that side. I couldn’t stand that we went to the weak side. My point of use being not tested and not really challenged is kind of being proven considering we are 5-1 and only 9th in playoff standings. If it weren’t for the expanded playoffs we could possibly not make the playoffs as league champs. Plus if the playoffs were to start now do you really think Milton wins a playoff game?

In wouldnt get too upset about scheduling yet. I come from a day when Milton, from 1975-1983 won league titles in 75,77,78,79,81,82. After joining the SRC and Magoteaux leaving they went 24 years until the next title.
Milton is a different town now and the kids are different.
I think this league will grow and Milton will continue to get smaller. I graduated with 180 in 84. They are half that size now.
Typically, Covington, Miami East, Riverside, and Milton are tough in football. With that said, it's not enough to just win in this conference, we should be winning big-time each week like last Friday.
Oakwood was a letdown. Valley View seems to be less than it's normal. Troy Christian just got blasted by Riverside.
I think Milton will have it's hands full with Riverside in week 10.
I'm excited for the future of this league. Eventually, it will grow and add teams. Brookville, Ft Loramie, etc.

0-6 Madison
3-3 Carlisle
2-4 Dixie
3-3 Valley View
6-0 Preble Shawnee
4-2 Northridge
4-2 Waynesville

Think you summed it up pretty well. I knew going in Milton would be the heavyweight of this conference in football.

Riverside has shown themselves to be better relative to the other teams than I thought they would be.

I have contended for 30 years the CCC is extremely weak. Look at their playoff record. Covington is 0-11 vs MAC opponents in the playoffs. That says alot. Miami East , Arcanum, Ansonia, - never have had much success in the playoffs once they get there.

It is very difficult for the small schools to compete vs D 4 schools in football. Other sports, they will be fine.

How long will it take for Covington to bale on this version of the Three Rivers Conference?

How long will it take for Covington to bale on this version of the Three Rivers Conference?
I think Covington will get back to their typical selves.
This is really every small town program, except the MAC schools.
I'm really looking forward to seeing the Buccs and MU playing every year. I feel the other CCC schools baled too early.
Milton needed to get out of the SWBL due to travel. Not sure why Northridge did. Covington had no other league to go to. If they left the TRC, where would they go? Ft Loramie is really regretting not joining this league. Their travel is tough.
The original TRC broke up, Covington didn't bale. They left the SRC because they weren't competitive in it. Versailles, Tipp, Milton were too big for them back then.

I think Covington will get back to their typical selves.
This is really every small town program, except the MAC schools.
I'm really looking forward to seeing the Buccs and MU playing every year. I feel the other CCC schools baled too early.
Milton needed to get out of the SWBL due to travel. Not sure why Northridge did. Covington had no other league to go to. If they left the TRC, where would they go? Ft Loramie is really regretting not joining this league. Their travel is tough.
The original TRC broke up, Covington didn't bale. They left the SRC because they weren't competitive in it. Versailles, Tipp, Milton were too big for them back then.
Im not originally from this area, but it would seem two schools from towns as close as Covington and West Milton are would make for a good rivalry game yearly. we shall see.

Im not originally from this area, but it would seem two schools from towns as close as Covington and West Milton are would make for a good rivalry game yearly. we shall see.
Not sure what develops a good rivalry? Often it is a similar cycle, two schools being very good at same sport same time. Geography helps to be sure, but Bradford vs Covington at one time was a great rivalry, then Bradford lost their competitive ability and the rivalry ended.

Also have to remember at one time Milton was at least 3 times the size of Covington in the not too distant past.

Speaking of size, Dayton Daily news , 9/23/2021, Bethel Twp annexation request to Huber by landowners. 300 more acres of Bethel is likely to be turned into housing. That would bring the developed land up to US 40.

Speaking of size, Dayton Daily news , 9/23/2021, Bethel Twp annexation request to Huber by landowners. 300 more acres of Bethel is likely to be turned into housing. That would bring the developed land up to US 40.
Yeah, I think Bethel will be the biggest school in the league in a few years.

I don't always enjoy the conference realignments, etc. But I also understand that's where we are and what happens from time to time. One thing I do believe in is giving the changes a chance. What I don't want to do is jump to too many conclusions about the league or individual teams based off of a small sample size. I'm one that expected Covington and Miami East to field competitive teams in this new league. If they were, I think we would look at the league as a whole differently. But in 2021, they are both definitely down. Miami East now is on a two year trend of struggling while Covington has had essentially 25 straight years of success prior to this season. I'm inclined to give both time and give the new league time in the process.

I don't always enjoy the conference realignments, etc. But I also understand that's where we are and what happens from time to time. One thing I do believe in is giving the changes a chance. What I don't want to do is jump to too many conclusions about the league or individual teams based off of a small sample size. I'm one that expected Covington and Miami East to field competitive teams in this new league. If they were, I think we would look at the league as a whole differently. But in 2021, they are both definitely down. Miami East now is on a two year trend of struggling while Covington has had essentially 25 straight years of success prior to this season. I'm inclined to give both time and give the new league time in the process.
I know football is the big money maker but it's not fair to judge conferences just off of football either. I don't have enough information to know if MU will dominate all sports. If they go out and win league titles across the board then it maybe time to start having those conversations.

Most people probably think MU is the biggest school because the OHSAA is using 3 year old data and still has the 'Dogs in DIV. MU is currently d4 with a base enrollment number of 204, when actually their number for this year should be 172 (which is a small d5). Bethel's number is 178 (although that is also 3 year old data, i don't know their actual 2021 number). Northridge's is 195.

Next year MU's number should drop to 148 (difference of 75 boys in one class to 51 boys coming in next year). Miami East is at 153 (3 yr old #).

It is possible that MU is the 4th largest school in the TRC next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.