2021 Inaugural Season: Three Rivers Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
W. Milton is primed to grow. Currently there are two huge new developments in West Milton and it's just getting started. I see Milton being a D5 then back to D4 for the foreseeable future. Too many Northmont folks that want to move to West Milton.
Covington, Lehman and Riverside will stay stagnant. Bethel, Milton, East, Northridge will grow. I see Northridge bumping up to D3 soon. They will rule in hoops. Troy Chr is going to stay stagnant.
It will change in the next 10 years but I think it stays pretty much the same with maybe some growth to 10 teams eventually. Who knows.

on another note, why isn’t the TRC doing rivalry games week 10?
They may have talked about it, I don't think it works out well though. What would your rivalries be?
any combination of MU/Cov, MU/ME, or Cov/ME is good. Lehman/Riverside or even Lehman/TC (private school champs) works. Bethel/ME maybe? Northridge doesn't have a rival, and if you say MU since they both came from the SWBL you lose me. MU is currently on a 27 game winning streak against 'Ridge.
My best shot would be:
MU/Cov
ME/Bethel
Lehman/Riverside
TC/'Ridge

half the league AD's probably wouldn't be for that. You can't just tell Miami East (for example) Milton and Covington aren't really your rivals, its Bethel. Doesn't work that way.

ME/Cov
MU/TC
Bethel/Ridge
Leh/Riv
? maybe?

It's like telling Michigan State that Penn State is their new rival. You can play when the OSU/Mich game is happening, but doesn't mean its more of a rivalry then MSU/Mich to them.

I think it would be somewhat difficult to divide up the Miami county schools into "best" rivalry games for week 10. I guess I would go either Milton/Covington and Miami East/Bethel or Milton/Bethel and Miami East/Covington. For the others, probably Troy Christian/Lehman Catholic and Northridge/Riverside.

They may have talked about it, I don't think it works out well though. What would your rivalries be?
any combination of MU/Cov, MU/ME, or Cov/ME is good. Lehman/Riverside or even Lehman/TC (private school champs) works. Bethel/ME maybe? Northridge doesn't have a rival, and if you say MU since they both came from the SWBL you lose me. MU is currently on a 27 game winning streak against 'Ridge.
My best shot would be:
MU/Cov
ME/Bethel
Lehman/Riverside
TC/'Ridge

half the league AD's probably wouldn't be for that. You can't just tell Miami East (for example) Milton and Covington aren't really your rivals, its Bethel. Doesn't work that way.

ME/Cov
MU/TC
Bethel/Ridge
Leh/Riv
? maybe?

It's like telling Michigan State that Penn State is their new rival. You can play when the OSU/Mich game is happening, but doesn't mean its more of a rivalry then MSU/Mich to them.
i would go Riverside/Lehman, Miami East/Bethel, Milton/Covington, and Troy Christian/Northridge

Milton and Bethel have never played in Football. It was thrown around in the 90s and Bethel didn't want it. It will be interesting seeing who becomes rivals with who. My guess is Milton vs Covington will be big, Bethel vs Northridge, they have history vs each other, East vs Troy Christian (battle of Troy) Lehman vs Riverside ( battle of of the two d7s)

I believe Northridge and Bethel have opened the season vs each other for quite a few years. I remember that one back in the 80s.

Riverside and Bethel faced off week 1 from 2000-2003, Bethel won in 2000 & 2001, Riverside won in 2002 & 2003. Found on Joe Eitel, not sure if they played prior to 2000 or not.

Last edited:
With the playoffs expanding to 12 teams per region, how do you see that affecting the league? With each team getting 3 OOC games, I would at least think that opens the door to anywhere from 2-5 teams making the playoffs depending on how strong the league is. I still view teams like Miami East, Bethel, and Troy Christian as in a bit of transition, hopefully building. Northridge and Lehman are probably in the bottom tier of the league. But teams like Covington, Riverside, and MU should all have playoff hopes in 2021, probably expecting to make the playoffs. Am I missing anyone in those other two tiers? Maybe a team that'll push for the playoffs? The teams in DVII obviously only need so many wins to make the Top 12, could give them an edge. Thoughts?

My tiers would look a little different, at least for 2021.

1- MU/Covington - these 2 should go in with expectations of making the playoffs. I think the winner of this game is league champ this year.

2- Riverside/Miami East - these 2 should be hopeful for a strong year and a playoff spot.
Did East have a one-year blip?
Can Riverside duplicate their success against bigger (better?) competition? (last 2 seasons, 16 of 20 games were against d7 schools. They will have more games this year in league against bigger schools (5) than they had in the last 2 years combined (4). MU and 'Ridge are d4, Bethel is 5, Cov and ME are 6.
The difference between "hopeful" and "expectant" might be small, and I wouldn't be entirely shocked if one of these schools won the league.

3- Lehman/TC/Bethel/Northridge - Need things to fall right to make the playoffs.
TC beat Northridge last year 21-14, I'm not putting them a tier above yet. I love their coaching though, so maybe they can do it. The Miami East and Riverside games will be huge for them.
I hate Bethel's OOC schedule, so I don't think they have put themselves in a good spot for the playoffs. If they win those though, they jump to the front of the line.
Northridge has a scheduling problem too, I missed it before but in years when they can beat Oakwood and Carlisle, the rest of the SWBL is going to beat up on those schools and they'll be worth very little. Maybe Dixie can get them points in the WOAC?
Lehman hasn't shown much recently, but 2 of their wins last year were over Ridgemont and Ridgedale...so Northridge should be worried :LOL:

Riverside had a really good back last year that graduated. I be see them, Lehman and Northridge towards the bottom.
East, TC, Bethel will fill the middle and MU and Covington are headed for a showdown. Ridge is always so hard to gauge due to move ins and outs. Bethel could have a good year based on what I am hearing.
East will be tough as will TC.

My tiers would look a little different, at least for 2021.

1- MU/Covington - these 2 should go in with expectations of making the playoffs. I think the winner of this game is league champ this year.

2- Riverside/Miami East - these 2 should be hopeful for a strong year and a playoff spot.
Did East have a one-year blip?
Can Riverside duplicate their success against bigger (better?) competition? (last 2 seasons, 16 of 20 games were against d7 schools. They will have more games this year in league against bigger schools (5) than they had in the last 2 years combined (4). MU and 'Ridge are d4, Bethel is 5, Cov and ME are 6.
The difference between "hopeful" and "expectant" might be small, and I wouldn't be entirely shocked if one of these schools won the league.

3- Lehman/TC/Bethel/Northridge - Need things to fall right to make the playoffs.
TC beat Northridge last year 21-14, I'm not putting them a tier above yet. I love their coaching though, so maybe they can do it. The Miami East and Riverside games will be huge for them.
I hate Bethel's OOC schedule, so I don't think they have put themselves in a good spot for the playoffs. If they win those though, they jump to the front of the line.
Northridge has a scheduling problem too, I missed it before but in years when they can beat Oakwood and Carlisle, the rest of the SWBL is going to beat up on those schools and they'll be worth very little. Maybe Dixie can get them points in the WOAC?
Lehman hasn't shown much recently, but 2 of their wins last year were over Ridgemont and Ridgedale...so Northridge should be worried :LOL:

Nice break down dograte. I think this will stay farily consistent though out the history of the TRC. There is going to be some great games this year. I would put TC in a 2b rating slightly above 3. They could beat anyone in this division next year, but also lose to 30 to anyone if that makes sense. If TC is healthy tehy are about 14 points below MU and Covington but can beat everyone else. But, again, could lose to everyone else also.

was TC injured against 'Ridge last year? I really don't have much to go on for some teams but scores against common opponents.

This new conference will be fun for all schools I believe. Milton and Covington being the head of the class but any of the other schools could make a run at any given year. My biggest problem with Milton is they bounce between D4 and D5. They are not a D4 team at all and need to stay at that D5 level if they ever want to make a good run in the playoffs. Hopefully some of the smaller schools in this conference will be able to grow so we call can be around the D5 level

My biggest problem with Milton is they bounce between D4 and D5. They are not a D4 team at all and need to stay at that D5 level if they ever want to make a good run in the playoffs

Yeah, the problem is, MU has a tiny freshman class, and the incoming frosh class is small too. they should move down to d5, but the OHSAA in their infinite wisdom, decided to use the 2019 data for the THIRD year in a row next season. Covid makes it too hard to count students? BS.
Milton will have a d5 population to draw from, but get a d4 tournament draw.

Yeah, the problem is, MU has a tiny freshman class, and the incoming frosh class is small too. they should move down to d5, but the OHSAA in their infinite wisdom, decided to use the 2019 data for the THIRD year in a row next season. Covid makes it too hard to count students? BS.
Milton will have a d5 population to draw from, but get a d4 tournament draw.

And that's what sucks for Milton. My wonder is what happens with that new subdivision and how many kids move to the area.

was TC injured against 'Ridge last year? I really don't have much to go on for some teams but scores against common opponents.

They had 3 keys out. Which in football it seems everyone has injuries so cant use that excuse. But at TC they can not overcome those with there size.

And that's what sucks for Milton. My wonder is what happens with that new subdivision and how many kids move to the area.
They are building homes right now but those homes won't produce a huge infusion into MU anytime soon. Total of 200 homes being built at the maximum which could take years. In the meantime you're getting 1-2 kids average from each home. 200-400 kids over a 10 year period isn't a huge infusion. Overall, I think West Milton draws more people in to the city overall due to the new development.
Could put MU over D4 after 4-5 years. Overall, Bethel is the one growing then Miami East.

Last edited:
They are building homes right now but those homes won't produce a huge infusion into MU anytime soon. Total of 200 homes being built at the maximum which could take years. In the meantime you're getting 1-2 kids average from each home. 200-400 kids over a 10 year period isn't a huge infusion. Overall, I think West Milton draws more people in to the city overall due to the new development.
Could put MU over D4 after 4-5 years. Overall, Bethel is the one growing then Miami East.
Yes, Bethel is growing I worked in that subdivision for a while, they cant build those houses fast enough. I don't see the subdivision in Milton really taking off. I hope Milton is just able to stay D5.

On another topic lets talk football stadiums for the new league, who has the better stadiums/fields/locker rooms, who will have the best home field advantage? Any thoughts???

Yes, Bethel is growing I worked in that subdivision for a while, they cant build those houses fast enough. I don't see the subdivision in Milton really taking off. I hope Milton is just able to stay D5.

On another topic lets talk football stadiums for the new league, who has the better stadiums/fields/locker rooms, who will have the best home field advantage? Any thoughts???
Lehman playing at Piqua and Sidney gives them an edge

i heard Bethel is building a new stadium so that may put them on top

otherwise, i don’t feel like this league has a ton of great stadiums.

So regardless of your tier for the league, do you think 12 teams per regions opens the door to additional playoff teams in 2021 from this league?

Best stadium is tough. Best for players or fans?
This isn't really in order, just some observations.

Lehman is the best. Not having a true home and sometimes having to go Saturdays takes points away though. great visitor locker rooms (VLR)
Northridge is probably #2. Amazing home side, adequate away side. Highway drops it a bit. VLR just ok https://gopolarbears.com/facility-list/
Milton is nice. No track, it's in town which gives it a cool feel. VLR just ok
Covington always has their grass in great shape. Stadium is unremarkable though.
Miami East is OK. VLR small and far.
Bethel is weak, but potential to be great. Interesting to see what they do with new stadium
TC is decent, but gets points off for size, no visitors stands, and the highway
Riverside- I can't comment. I haven't been there. Someone let us know.

I don't really think home field advantage is really a thing in high school. Not like the pro where they are sleeping in a hotel and such. No TRC home field is going to be so loud the other team can't call audibles. Bus ride can be though. Northridge and Riverside may have an advantage in that department?

Best stadium is tough. Best for players or fans?
This isn't really in order, just some observations.

Lehman is the best. Not having a true home and sometimes having to go Saturdays takes points away though. great visitor locker rooms (VLR)
Northridge is probably #2. Amazing home side, adequate away side. Highway drops it a bit. VLR just ok https://gopolarbears.com/facility-list/
Milton is nice. No track, it's in town which gives it a cool feel. VLR just ok
Covington always has their grass in great shape. Stadium is unremarkable though.
Miami East is OK. VLR small and far.
Bethel is weak, but potential to be great. Interesting to see what they do with new stadium
TC is decent, but gets points off for size, no visitors stands, and the highway
Riverside- I can't comment. I haven't been there. Someone let us know.

I don't really think home field advantage is really a thing in high school. Not like the pro where they are sleeping in a hotel and such. No TRC home field is going to be so loud the other team can't call audibles. Bus ride can be though. Northridge and Riverside may have an advantage in that department?
i dislike Miami East’s stadium.

Covington does always have phenomenal grass

love how Milton is in town, quality stadium

Northridge isn’t bad

Riverside and Troy Christian are underwhelming

Back to the population, dont count on Miami East with a big population burst. Their side of Troy (NorthEast I guess????) is having huge housing developments. I have no idea what economic factors are driving this surge in homes, but ME is defiantly not shrinking.

i dislike Miami East’s stadium.

Covington does always have phenomenal grass

love how Milton is in town, quality stadium

Northridge isn’t bad

Riverside and Troy Christian are underwhelming

Can only speak for the stadiums we've visited as Riverside fans. Lehman obviously is great, thanks to Sidney's and Piqua's facilities. I prefer Sidney to Piqua, just a personal preference.

Riverside, while small, has one of the nicest natural fields in our area. They installed an in-ground sprinkler system a couple years ago, and it's made a huge difference in the field's quality. Visitors stands are smaller than most, visiting teams use the JH gym's locker rooms across the parking lot from the football field. So a little bit of a walk for visiting teams. I will say our concession stand on the visitor side is the bomb. Ran by our athletic boosters, they grill ribeye steak sandwiches, delicious burgers and everything else, but the steak sandwiches are awesome. Has nothing to do with the field or facilities, but if y'all come to Riverside, make sure to get food from the visitor's side concession stand! I've visited TC back when they were in the NWCC, and although they have a large home stands, I think Riverside has a nicer setup than TC. Just my homer, biased thoughts.

I love this picture of MU. Shows the houses behind, including the one with the party deck. Always a crowd watching the game from the 2nd floor deck! (2019 senior night btw...MU seniors walking off for the last time)

MUstadium.jpg

Can only speak for the stadiums we've visited as Riverside fans. Lehman obviously is great, thanks to Sidney's and Piqua's facilities. I prefer Sidney to Piqua, just a personal preference.

Riverside, while small, has one of the nicest natural fields in our area. They installed an in-ground sprinkler system a couple years ago, and it's made a huge difference in the field's quality. Visitors stands are smaller than most, visiting teams use the JH gym's locker rooms across the parking lot from the football field. So a little bit of a walk for visiting teams. I will say our concession stand on the visitor side is the bomb. Ran by our athletic boosters, they grill ribeye steak sandwiches, delicious burgers and everything else, but the steak sandwiches are awesome. Has nothing to do with the field or facilities, but if y'all come to Riverside, make sure to get food from the visitor's side concession stand! I've visited TC back when they were in the NWCC, and although they have a large home stands, I think Riverside has a nicer setup than TC. Just my homer, biased thoughts.
you’re right about the grass. i looked up some pictures, it’s very nice. stands are small. stadium setting kinda reminds me of triad with corn surrounding.

my grandson graduates this year so i will have time to make it up to other games when Greenon plays away. would like to see Riverside vs Covington sometime- think that will be a good matchup. the steak sandwiches sound GOOD.

i would like to see Triad and Riverside start a series. i think that could end up being very competitive these next few years. Riverside vs Northeastern is a great game for both.

Sounds like it is going to be some good small town football. I am excited to visit some of the new stadiums. Not only is this football season going to be good, I believe this whole league will be good for all sports. Very excited to see what comes of it. Would love for this league to produce some powerhouse schools that can compete at the state level!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.