2021 D4 Outlook

jonmoxon

Region 13-- Lake Catholic, Canal Fulton Northwest, Ursuline, Poland, and Perry should be tough teams in this region. Maybe even Hubbard if they drop to D4 again.

Region 14-- Van Wert, Clyde, Keystone should all be in decent shape this year.

Region 15-- Licking Valley, Bloom-Carroll have been dominant the last few years, I don't know much about this region so there's probably other schools.

Region 16-- Wyoming, Clinton-Massie, Valley View should all be in the mix too.

Let me hear your thoughts too!

Region 13-- Lake Catholic, Canal Fulton Northwest, Ursuline, Poland, and Perry should be tough teams in this region. Maybe even Hubbard if they drop to D4 again.

Region 14-- Van Wert, Clyde, Keystone should all be in decent shape this year.

Region 15-- Licking Valley, Bloom-Carroll have been dominant the last few years, I don't know much about this region so there's probably other schools.

Region 16-- Wyoming, Clinton-Massie, Valley View should all be in the mix too.

Let me hear your thoughts too!

Region 13-- Lake Catholic, Canal Fulton Northwest, Ursuline, Poland, and Perry should be tough teams in this region. Maybe even Hubbard if they drop to D4 again. *copied what you said because these were my thoughts exactly. Tough region to get out of.

Region 14-- Van Wert and La Grange Keystone should be on a collision course in this region. Keystone played the Cougars tough and have the D1 WR plus starting RB (who is a load to bring down) and QB coming back but will see how the OL looks for them. Van Wert needs their young QB to step up and play well but have a lot around him to make some noise again.

Region 15-- Don't know enough about this Region to make a decision.

Region 16-- Clinton-Massie for me. Lot's of firepower coming back and I think Wyoming loses too much from this past years class.

Division 4 is always a fun one to watch because there's always teams that come out of nowhere and make runs. Especially the last two years with Clyde and Van Wert. Keystone losing to the state champion back to back seasons is an interesting tidbit and Shelby losing to the state champ 3 out of the last 4 seasons is quite interesting too.

I agree that DIV is always one of my favorite divisions to watch each season. R16 is where I'm most familiar and tends to send a strong team to the State Semi-Finals. Right now, those teams have been Wyoming or Clinton Massie. Valley View has been in the mix. In regards to Valley View, they lose their QB and several skill players on offense. Not to mention they lost their HC, OC, and DC. Of late this has been Wyoming's region to lose so I'll put them as the favorite heading into 2021. If I had to list teams I expect to make their push this season, I would say:

R13: Lake Catholic, Canal Fulton Northwest, and Ursuline
R14: VanWert, Keystone, and Bellevue
R15: Licking Valley, Bloom-Carroll, and St. Clairsville
R16: Wyoming and Clinton Massie

Of this list, do any of them in particular return a lot from last season?

I agree that DIV is always one of my favorite divisions to watch each season. R16 is where I'm most familiar and tends to send a strong team to the State Semi-Finals. Right now, those teams have been Wyoming or Clinton Massie. Valley View has been in the mix. In regards to Valley View, they lose their QB and several skill players on offense. Not to mention they lost their HC, OC, and DC. Of late this has been Wyoming's region to lose so I'll put them as the favorite heading into 2021. If I had to list teams I expect to make their push this season, I would say:

Yes, in R14 Van Wert has their whole OL back, 3 of 4 top WRs, and starting RB back. They lose Treece/Johnson (the QB and top WR) but their QB next year was a starting DE for us and will be a physical 6'3/6'4 190 junior back there. Wil be very interesting to see them this coming year. Keystone returns their whole backfield plus their stud WR who will be just a junior next year. Not sure what they return up front. That region is who I'm most familiar with too.

i’ll take-

R13- Lake Catholic
R14- LaGrange Keystone
R15- Bloom Carroll
R16- Clinton Massie

Lake Catholic over Keystone
Clinton Massie over Bloom Carroll

Clinton Massie over Lake Catholic for the title

i’ll take-

R13- Lake Catholic
R14- LaGrange Keystone
R15- Bloom Carroll
R16- Clinton Massie

Lake Catholic over Keystone
Clinton Massie over Bloom Carroll

Clinton Massie over Lake Catholic for the title
Lake Catholic return that much? Seemed like a pretty senior dominated team when I watched them play in the state championship game. Thought they lost a lot.

Lake Catholic return that much? Seemed like a pretty senior dominated team when I watched them play in the state championship game. Thought they lost a lot.
think they had some solid underclassman but they seem to be pretty well coached, they may be around for a few years

Ursuline brings back a lot.

I believe the Senior class to be for Clinton Massie was very successful as freshman beating the likes of Cincinnati Moeller, Upper Arlington, Columbus DeSales (I think) and going undefeated. Clinton Massie's record over the last 3 years is:
* 2020, 9-1 losing to Wyoming 28-9 in the playoffs
* 2019, 9-2 losing to Avon Lake 24-23 in wk 2 and Valley View 42-28 in the playoffs
* 2018, 10-2 losing to Coldwater 31-28 in wk 2 and London 28-7 in the playoffs

I would guess expectations are extremely high at Clinton Massie for the upcoming season.

Last edited:
It’ll be interesting to see Ursuline and Lake Catholic next year because not everyone makes the playoffs, it may have been difficult for both to get in this year in Region 13 if we had to qualify for the playoffs.

It’ll be interesting to see Ursuline and Lake Catholic next year because not everyone makes the playoffs, it may have been difficult for both to get in this year in Region 13 if we had to qualify for the playoffs.
12 teams are getting on and Ursulines schedule will get them in even with 6 or so wins I would think. Ursuline will have more than 6 wins.

12 teams are getting on and Ursulines schedule will get them in even with 6 or so wins I would think. Ursuline will have more than 6 wins.
Youngstown Ursuline
08/20 H Columbus Bishop Hartley
08/27 A Hermitage Hickory (PA)
09/03 A Chardon
09/10 A Austintown Fitch
09/17 A Warren Warren G. Harding
09/24 H Youngstown Chaney
10/01 A Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary
10/08 H Boardman
10/16 A Youngstown East
10/22 A Youngstown Cardinal Mooney

I see 6 games that could go either way. You think at least 7 wins?

Youngstown Ursuline
08/20 H Columbus Bishop Hartley
08/27 A Hermitage Hickory (PA)
09/03 A Chardon
09/10 A Austintown Fitch
09/17 A Warren Warren G. Harding
09/24 H Youngstown Chaney
10/01 A Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary
10/08 H Boardman
10/16 A Youngstown East
10/22 A Youngstown Cardinal Mooney

I see 6 games that could go either way. You think at least 7 wins?
Hickory, Harding, Chaney, East, Mooney are wins. Boardman too. Hartley most likely a win. Fitch, St. Vs and Chardon will be tough. Remember they have a D1 QB returning and a lot of skill and some good lineman returning. Plus Reardon will keep working his magic.

Hickory, Harding, Chaney, East, Mooney are wins. Boardman too. Hartley most likely a win. Fitch, St. Vs and Chardon will be tough. Remember they have a D1 QB returning and a lot of skill and some good lineman returning. Plus Reardon will keep working his magic.
Do you think they beat Lake Catholic at full strength last year?

Massie comes back pretty loaded. Lose 3 on offense, 1 off the defense, and a 1st team all-Ohio kicker off the special teams.

If CM can tighten up the defense, and stay healthy I can see them making a serious run.

That’s interesting. I would think Harding would be less of a sure thing since Ursuline lost to them last year. But I’m unfamiliar with what these teams bring back. And, what tells you that Hartley will be an easier game than St V? Hartley is pretty darn good. Again I’m not sure what they have coming back.

That’s interesting. I would think Harding would be less of a sure thing since Ursuline lost to them last year. But I’m unfamiliar with what these teams bring back. And, what tells you that Hartley will be an easier game than St V? Hartley is pretty darn good. Again I’m not sure what they have coming back.
Harding loses a lot, their QB being first and foremost. My picks are more based on what Ursuline has coming back than anything else. The Reardon factor is huge too. He knows how to win at Ursuline. I could be completely off on all my picks but I think they are going to be good. Possibly make a serious run.

Harding loses a lot, their QB being first and foremost. My picks are more based on what Ursuline has coming back than anything else. The Reardon factor is huge too. He knows how to win at Ursuline. I could be completely off on all my picks but I think they are going to be good. Possibly make a serious run.
My predictions will be:
R13: Ursuline (that Shannon kid at QB is going to be a tough out for anybody. He's really good).
R14: Van Wert
R15: Honestly have no idea about this region.
R16: Clinton Massie

Yes, in R14 Van Wert has their whole OL back, 3 of 4 top WRs, and starting RB back. They lose Treece/Johnson (the QB and top WR) but their QB next year was a starting DE for us and will be a physical 6'3/6'4 190 junior back there. Wil be very interesting to see them this coming year. Keystone returns their whole backfield plus their stud WR who will be just a junior next year. Not sure what they return up front. That region is who I'm most
familiar with too.
[/

Keystone lost most of their offensive and defensive lines and did not have much depth last year at all. Their JV group and lower level linemen were not great either. Something to watch to see how they fill those holes, but I think last year and 2019 was their best overall group.

I think it's a fair assessment to expect the two private schools to both be very competitive next season in R13. Despite difficult schedules, the regions moving to 12 teams should help both make the playoffs. I have heard that VanWert returns a ton despite losing their stud QB/WR combo. In R15, Bloom Carroll, LV, and St. Clairsville will all be good. I'm still torn in R16. I know CM returns a lot, but Wyoming has been on a run the past few seasons. I think I still favor the Cowboys. So if I narrowed my list down, it might look like:

R13: Ursuline
R14: VanWert
R15: Bloom-Carroll
R16: Wyoming

Region 13 (CVCA returns some players though they lose their QB; Woodridge returns a lot---I would expect both teams to qualify and potentially advance.)

I believe the Senior class to be for Clinton Massie was very successful as freshman beating the likes of Cincinnati Moeller, Upper Arlington, Columbus DeSales (I think) and going undefeated. Clinton Massie's record over the last 3 years is:
* 2020, 9-1 losing to Wyoming 28-9 in the playoffs
* 2019, 9-2 losing to Avon Lake 24-23 in wk 2 and Valley View 42-28 in the playoffs
* 2018, 10-2 losing to Coldwater 31-28 in wk 2 and London 28-7 in the playoffs

I would guess expectations are extremely high at Clinton Massie for the upcoming season.
CM beat DeSales freshmen in 18 will be this years Senior Class , DeSales Freshmen won in 19 Junior Class ,
Their week 4 matchup should be a great one this year on the Varsity level.

R13 will be ursulines to lose this year, absolutely loaded and are picking up a few more really good Youngstown city kids. They lost to covid last year