2021 D2 Outlook

cjb56

D2 has been one of the more entertaining divisions in recent years, but it has largely been dominated by one team...Hoban.

I will install Hoban as the favorite heading into 2021, mainly due to being the champ until someone proves otherwise.

We have the usual contenders in Winton Woods, LaSalle, Massillon, Avon, Toledo CC. I'm sure they will all be in the mix. Assuming the regions stay roughly the same in 2021, who are the favorites, contenders, sleepers?

R5 -- Hoban is the favorite. There are teams such as Hudson and Mayfield that have played them well over the years. Is there a team ready to knock them out early this year?

R6 -- Avon is the favorite. Toledo CC will offer a stiff challenge and can even be considered co-favorites. Barberton, Fremont Ross and Highland are the sleepers here. Anthony Wayne will be a factor, as well as Olmsted Falls and Avon Lake.

R7 -- Massillon is the favorite. Will one of the Cbus area schools knock them off? Perry is always tough.

R8 -- LaSalle is the favorite. Winton Woods will be right there with them. I do not see a challenger to these two.

Last edited:

Piqua could make some noise in R8 this year. next years team should be better than this years, i’m hearing
They are one of the teams I thought about, but wasn't sure what they returned. I hope someone has some info on them. Kings is another team I'd like to hear more about.

They are one of the teams I thought about, but wasn't sure what they returned. I hope someone has some info on them. Kings is another team I'd like to hear more about.
I think they have 7 starters back on defense and 8 back on offense. That could be switched but I remember they have a ton coming back. Most important there QB and I think 4 lineman. I just don't see them beating LaSalle or WW.

Outlook ? You mean who can crash the LaSalle - Hoban invitational tournament? HMM , I think this 7 year run will be in tact for another few years myself . Who is the third best? WW next year someone said. D-2 was more public at one point or at least a mix , but it's kind of like an even more top heavy version of the CFB play-off . Hoban and LaSalle are Bama and Clemson but without OSU{ 2014 } and LSU { 2019 } butting in on their title parades .

WW loses 6 D1 players on defense 2 in secondary 2 linebackers 2 Defensive lineman. On offense lose QB but mostly everyone is back. What I do know is they have talent and a favorable schedule. This year's team can make some serious noise. It's all predicated on who they scrimmage to get this team some early work to prepare them for Lasalle and kings and a possible rematch w Lasalle in playoffs.

Outlook ? You mean who can crash the LaSalle - Hoban invitational tournament? HMM , I think this 7 year run will be in tact for another few years myself . Who is the third best? WW next year someone said. D-2 was more public at one point or at least a mix , but it's kind of like an even more top heavy version of the CFB play-off . Hoban and LaSalle are Bama and Clemson but without OSU{ 2014 } and LSU { 2019 } butting in on their title parades .
This is true, but I don’t think it’s going to stop Massillon, Winton Woods, Avon, Hudson, Olentangy, etc., from trying their best to break the stranglehold.

This is true, but I don’t think it’s going to stop Massillon, Winton Woods, Avon, Hudson, Olentangy, etc., from trying their best to break the stranglehold.
Absolutely , and there is a lot more to the HS football experience than playing in a title game or winning one . A lot of interesting games in the regular season and in the play-offs before that point and what is important as you said is working to be the best you can be as players and teams in general . I just pointed out that for 7 years the outcomes have been pretty predictable in terms of who was going to be left standing . Was much less predictable at one point. D-1 has been somewhat similar , with PC breaking through twice as a public but Catholics usually win , but it's been a couple more Catholics that challenge unlike D-2 where it's been the best in the South and the best in the North trading titles.

La Salle is probably one of the best DII team in the state, but the Lancers will have a helluva time reaching the playoffs with that schedule.

I really hope TCC makes it over the hump this season. They definitely can beat Avon/Avon Lake and they should have beat them last year.

They'll have no problems on defense but if they can get a punter and a solid quarterback (a position that has layers of potential drama around it as to who will start) that can fully take advantage of the weapons they have offensively, they should be a serious threat in the state tournament.

Massillon will have a lot of talent but only return....I believe 3 starters on offense, and only 1 on defense. I look for them to take a step back next year but be back in the hunt strongly in '22.

D2 has been one of the more entertaining divisions in recent years, but it has largely been dominated by one team...Hoban.

I will install Hoban as the favorite heading into 2021, mainly due to being the champ until someone proves otherwise.

We have the usual contenders in Winton Woods, LaSalle, Massillon, Avon, Toledo CC. I'm sure they will all be in the mix. Assuming the regions stay roughly the same in 2021, who are the favorites, contenders, sleepers?

R5 -- Hoban is the favorite. There are teams such as Hudson and Mayfield that have played them well over the years. Is there a team ready to knock them out early this year?

R6 -- Avon is the favorite. Toledo CC will offer a stiff challenge and can even be considered co-favorites. Barberton, Fremont Ross and Highland are the sleepers here. Anthony Wayne will be a factor, as well as Olmsted Falls and Avon Lake.

R7 -- Massillon is the favorite. Will one of the Cbus area schools knock them off? Perry is always tough.

R8 -- LaSalle is the favorite. Winton Woods will be right there with them. I do not see a challenger to these two.
I still wouldn't trust Ross as painful for me to state. Actually, anymore, I wouldn't trust Central Catholic as well. I think the TRAC has become too finesse to the point it's damaging to a lengthy Postseason run. Hopefully, I can be proven incorrect, especially regarding the Little Giants.

Last edited:
Massillon will have a lot of talent but only return....I believe 3 starters on offense, and only 1 on defense. I look for them to take a step back next year but be back in the hunt strongly in '22.
Massillon doesn't take steps back at this point under Coach Moore. I understand what you're saying, but I expect the Tigers to be a contender in 2021.

DII has been one of the most predictable divisions in the state over the past few years. Hoban has been dominant. LaSalle has also been dominant. To some extent, Massillon Washington has been dominant until the championship. Avon is very dependable in their region. You could make the case that the best team in the state has played in DII on occasion as well.

2020: Hoban over Massillon Washington (Avon & LaSalle in Final 4)
2019: LaSalle over Massillon Washington (Avon & Toledo Central Catholic in Final 4)
2018: Hoban over Massillon Washington (Avon & Winton Woods in Final 4)
2017: Hoban over Winton Woods (Avon & Massillon Washington in Final 4)
2016: LaSalle over Perry (Hudson & Anthony Wayne in Final 4)
2015: LaSalle over Perry (Hudson & Perrysburg in Final 4)
2014: LaSalle over Nordonia (Olentangy & Mayfield in Final 4)

2016, 2015, and 2014 were the last years you didn't see at least 3 of Hoban, LaSalle, Massillon Washington, or Avon in the Final 4. In all three of those years, LaSalle still won the title. With that said, I expect much of the same in DII in 2021:

R5: Hoban
R6: Avon with Toledo Central Catholic lurking
R7: Massillon Washington
R8: LaSalle

I really hope TCC makes it over the hump this season. They definitely can beat Avon/Avon Lake and they should have beat them last year.

They'll have no problems on defense but if they can get a punter and a solid quarterback (a position that has layers of potential drama around it as to who will start) that can fully take advantage of the weapons they have offensively, they should be a serious threat in the state tournament.
Of course TCC has the talent to beat an Avon or Avon Lake. They need to match the physicality, though. Maple City Fan points out the TRAC has become a little bit finesse-oriented. That can sometimes hurt in the playoffs. That being said, I fully expect TCC to be right there with Avon this year.

DII has been one of the most predictable divisions in the state over the past few years. Hoban has been dominant. LaSalle has also been dominant. To some extent, Massillon Washington has been dominant until the championship. Avon is very dependable in their region. You could make the case that the best team in the state has played in DII on occasion as well.

2020: Hoban over Massillon Washington (Avon & LaSalle in Final 4)
2019: LaSalle over Massillon Washington (Avon & Toledo Central Catholic in Final 4)
2018: Hoban over Massillon Washington (Avon & Winton Woods in Final 4)
2017: Hoban over Winton Woods (Avon & Massillon Washington in Final 4)
2016: LaSalle over Perry (Hudson & Anthony Wayne in Final 4)
2015: LaSalle over Perry (Hudson & Perrysburg in Final 4)
2014: LaSalle over Nordonia (Olentangy & Mayfield in Final 4)

2016, 2015, and 2014 were the last years you didn't see at least 3 of Hoban, LaSalle, Massillon Washington, or Avon in the Final 4. In all three of those years, LaSalle still won the title.
Very nice breakdown. Yes, LaSalle and Hoban have been the big dogs.

I’m not sure what Painesville Riverside has coming back, but they seemed like they were on the verge of making a jump into that group last year. They would have given anyone in R5 all they wanted except for Hoban

Hoban is replacing 10 starters on D, and will have a new QB for the first time since the 2017 season. They'll be talented, but young, and as big of an unknown since 2015. They'll lean on the oline and run game early, which should be very formidable.

It wasn't too long ago that anyone could sneak up and win this division. I lived in Maple Heights for nearly ten years and it made a run during that time.

It wasn't too long ago that anyone could sneak up and win this division. I lived in Maple Heights for nearly ten years and it made a run during that time.
In 2009 they made a great run through the region but in 2010 nobody was stopping them.

I wonder if Avon Lake or Anthony Wayne could surprise some people this year in region 6. I know AW returns a lot, including a very good junior QB.

Reactions: AXE