2021 Cleveland Browns Thread

News flash-

The Browns and defensive end Takk McKinley agreed to a one-year contract worth as much as $4 million, a person familiar with the deal confirmed Tuesday.

The Browns pursued McKinley several times last season on the waiver wire.

This acquisition begs the question- Who?

News flash-

The Browns and defensive end Takk McKinley agreed to a one-year contract worth as much as $4 million, a person familiar with the deal confirmed Tuesday.

The Browns pursued McKinley several times last season on the waiver wire.

This acquisition begs the question- Who?
He was a first rounder, who had 16 sacks with ATL his first 3 seasons. Not a star but reasonable price. With single-coverage blocking guaranteed hopefully he will produce.

He was a first rounder, who had 16 sacks with ATL his first 3 seasons. Not a star but reasonable price. With single-coverage blocking guaranteed hopefully he will produce.

I remember him from when he was drafted. My "Who" was more a reference to our hope/expectations for a big name.

Some good info on him here-

4 years, 24 mill...makes you wonder if they arent confident about Greedy coming back or concerns with Wards injury history.

This fits in with one of the analytics tenants of building a roster, you can never not have too many CBs in the NFL. They believe you spend capital on the outside and then work in with the exception of QB on offense and Safety on defense. Depending on how the draft plays out I would not be surprised if they pick a WR in the 1st round if there is not decent edge available.

This fits in with one of the analytics tenants of building a roster, you can never not have too many CBs in the NFL. They believe you spend capital on the outside and then work in with the exception of QB on offense and Safety on defense. Depending on how the draft plays out I would not be surprised if they pick a WR in the 1st round if there is not decent edge available.

Agree with all of this. Love the signing. Browns are being very widely praised by national pundits for their astute signings. Is this real life, or am I dreaming?

Browns apparently hosted Clowney. I'd host him, lead him on, then yank the rug out from under him as he didn't want to come to Cleveland last year.

It appears that Clowney is now identified as a situational edge that plays against the run and is lifted in passing downs, no way do you pay a guy big $s on the edge to stop the run. ESPN did a great job of hyping the guy based off of the fact he played in the SEC and had that big hit against UM, never did anything as a Pro and some white dude from the B1G proving to be the player that Clowney wished he was.

Really starting to think the Browns will do some kind of move at the end of the 1st round, if the edge they want is not there I see a trade down to the top of the 2nd for one of the 2nd tier WRs like Kadarius Toney or grab a LB there. Gives them some draft capital so they can add non value positions like IDL or depth at positions of strength like OL & RB in case of injury or guys leave in 2022.

If you can get Clowney on an inexpensive one year deal I don't have an objection to it, but I doubt his ego will allow that to happen. He was a solid pro (emphasis on the WAS) but has never been the player he was projected to be and has not been a decent rush end for some time.

I think the lack of movement on an edge guy (other than the flyer on McKinley) is a pretty good indication that the Browns intend to address it through the draft. It does appear to be a good year for edge guys. It seems like some GMs have an area they think they can piece together rather than emphasize and Berry's seems to be LB.

Last edited:
I'm with most of you guys on Clowney. You can;t spell "Clowney" without "clown". Way over-rated. Oh, cool, you knocked of a Michigan helmet. Great. One year low cost deal at best.

If they sign Clowney to a reasonable one year contract ... that would be a good rotation of Garrett, McKinley, Clowney, and Gustin .... that would allow them to draft anybody ... a true best available player or a future need.

some people never change ... still blaming other people ... still throwing other people under the bus ... glad the Browns have new leadership!

some people never change ... still blaming other people ... still throwing other people under the bus ... glad the Browns have new leadership!

I was just thinking the same thing. In the League you never bad mouth anyone in public if you want to make a living in the sport, what he is saying probably has some truth to it but you don't go on a sports talk show in the team's market and use it as a megaphone. Shut up, take a gig as position coach, and be happy you make a living without getting your hands dirty.

I was just thinking the same thing. In the League you never bad mouth anyone in public if you want to make a living in the sport, what he is saying probably has some truth to it but you don't go on a sports talk show in the team's market and use it as a megaphone. Shut up, take a gig as position coach, and be happy you make a living without getting your hands dirty.
He even mentioned "minority coaches" in the interview to inject race into the story

Maybe old Hue figures he's done so that it's time for him to talk. What he hasn't realized is that no one gives a $h!+ about anything he has to say. In hindsight, he may well have been misled as it appears Sahsi and crew were stripping it down and saving money for the future, but Hue did his part to take 4 or 5 win talent into the abyss. Certainly, Hue's experiences have not brought him insight, humility or any sense of responsibility.