2021-2022 General Discussion

Hoping his foot and back issues are in a place where he has near if not full mobility to be fully active within the practice setting. Best of luck to Thad!

Definitely. Thad brought us conference championships, Final Fours and ran a clean program.
Impressive list of coaches in the Big East after Butler, Xavier and Seton Hall made splash hires. Jay Wright, Sean Miller, Thad Matta, Ed Cooley, Shaheen Holloway, Dan Hurley, and Shaka Smart.

Wish the Big Ten would make a note.

Interested in how the Mike Woodson situation evolves at IU at this point. Matta off to Butler as head coach, and it wasn't talked about here, but Woodson effectively fired Dane Fife as an assistant coach in the last couple weeks and seemed to be very distant/estranged from him on the bench in the closing weeks of the season.

The two parts of the staff and organization that most Hoosier fans were excited about and talked themselves into being satisfied with the Woodson hire, the prospective front office mentor and prospective future head coach, are now out of Bloomington. I could see the seat getting very hot very quickly for Woodson if he flounders for a couple more years with a low 20s win total and right at or slightly below .500 in Big Ten play.

my team lost but I’m still going to watch the title game bc I’m a real fan and not a jealous b**ch.

The Duke/UNC game was incredible. As a college hoops fan, I would love to watch Kansas / UNC, but they lost me with the 9:20pm start time.

They really need to re-think this. I know they want some prime-time coverage in California, bet there will be a lot of East Coast TV's tuning out. West coast fans can watch at 5:30 Pacific/8:30 Eastern. Eastern fans can't watch until almost midnight. People work in the morning, kids have school, etc. Just dumb.

I doubt I watch more than the first half at most, same as every other year. The tip time in the Eastern time zone is way too late for a Monday night.

Interested in how the Mike Woodson situation evolves at IU at this point. Matta off to Butler as head coach, and it wasn't talked about here, but Woodson effectively fired Dane Fife as an assistant coach in the last couple weeks and seemed to be very distant/estranged from him on the bench in the closing weeks of the season.

The two parts of the staff and organization that most Hoosier fans were excited about and talked themselves into being satisfied with the Woodson hire, the prospective front office mentor and prospective future head coach, are now out of Bloomington. I could see the seat getting very hot very quickly for Woodson if he flounders for a couple more years with a low 20s win total and right at or slightly below .500 in Big Ten play.
Add to that, point guard Xavier Johnson arrested over the weekend for reckless driving and resisting arrest. He was one of the 5 Hoosiers suspended for the Northwestern game. Woodson made it a point to suspend the guys to "make a point" guess point wasn't taken. Fife was a very popular Hoosier and was a candidate for some to get the job before the Woodson hire. Considering IU underperformed this season And TJD is likely gone, this program is on the rocks.

The Duke/UNC game was incredible. As a college hoops fan, I would love to watch Kansas / UNC, but they lost me with the 9:20pm start time.

They really need to re-think this. I know they want some prime-time coverage in California, bet there will be a lot of East Coast TV's tuning out. West coast fans can watch at 5:30 Pacific/8:30 Eastern. Eastern fans can't watch until almost midnight. People work in the morning, kids have school, etc. Just dumb.
I'll watch. I go to bed after midnight, EST, and am at work at 8AM next day. I think enough of us in the east watch that the time will never be changed. Just get a nap in tonight before the game. You'll survive.

I always watch the first half. Then based off how competitive of a game it is I’ll either go to bed or stay up and suffer at work (I’m up at 5:05am). Even if I don’t watch the second half I’ll check my phone to see the score when I get up to use the bathroom. I agree the start time for these games is absolute BS. West coast people don’t care about college sports and if they did they’d figure a way to get out of work to watch.

I'll watch. I go to bed after midnight, EST, and am at work at 8AM next day. I think enough of us in the east watch that the time will never be changed. Just get a nap in tonight before the game. You'll survive.
Nah. I'll watch the start, but I like to be in the office by 7:30am, and I usually get to the gym most mornings before work, so up at 5:30am. I'd stay up and be tired if it was a team I cared about...

What's the deal with OSU coaches? They leave due to health issues, then get other jobs? First Urban, now Matta?
Well, Urban's issue was hard to see, but Thad's health issue was obviously real. Not life-threatening, but he was clearly in constant pain and he could not actively coach. I hope he is mostly better now and wins a bunch of games at Butler. Always liked him at OSU, but clearly the program had declined with his health, so it was time for a change.

Well, Urban's issue was hard to see, but Thad's health issue was obviously real. Not life-threatening, but he was clearly in constant pain and he could not actively coach. I hope he is mostly better now and wins a bunch of games at Butler. Always liked him at OSU, but clearly the program had declined with his health, so it was time for a change.
Always like Matta as a coach, in fact I'd been ok if IU hired him. But he's kind of old school and I think that wore on players at Ohio State. For some reason it's not just about success anymore. I think Butler will be a good fit for him, but it will be interesting to see how his health holds up.
Didn't Urban black out on the sidelines? That wouldn't be hard to see.

See previous post....
I'm up at 5:15am during the work week. I'd try to plan for a long late afternoon nap if my favorite team happened to be playing, but I'm not staying up till midnight during the work week to watch just anyone play in the championship.

I wish the Final Four was played Friday and Sunday, with the Sunday championship having a tip time between 7:00-7:30 Eastern.

I'm up at 5:15am during the work week. I'd try to plan for a long late afternoon nap if my favorite team happened to be playing, but I'm not staying up till midnight during the work week to watch just anyone play in the championship.

I wish the Final Four was played Friday and Sunday, with the Sunday championship having a tip time between 7:00-7:30 Eastern.
Good heavens, I can still get another 2 hours of sleep when you're. To each his own. I hate the early mornings.

Sounds like where TOSU is , in today’s basketball world. Mediocrity !

I think Kansas wins tonight, in large part because of the fast paced, high intensity nature of the Duke FF game. We saw it last yr where Gonzaga was flat after that ridiculous UCLA FF game. It happened to Wisconsin in 2015 after that UK game. UVA struggled in the title game vs Tech after the Auburn FF game. They were a much better team than Tech, but it took a late 3 to send it to OT before they pulled away.

Last edited:

Yeah but OSU Basketball is the Beta sport, at IU it’s the Alpha.
IU used to be. Long live Bobby Knight. TOSU is a joke in basketball. 1 national championship in their history. TOSU football has won 2 since 1970. Always next year in Ohio.

And once again, this tournament proves experience trumps raw talent in March. The ‘12 UK team was an anomaly, you need leadership to win it all.

IU used to be. Long live Bobby Knight. TOSU is a joke in basketball. 1 national championship in their history. TOSU football has won 2 since 1970. Always next year in Ohio.
No matter how bad the team actually is, Basketball is always going to be top dog at IU. Also, Knight was his own worst enemy and the program was struggling towards the end of his tenure anyway.