2020 Three Rivers Athletic Conference (TRAC) Predictions

Anthony Wayne is a machine now. They're closest NLL game was 21 points last year. It'll be 20 this year. They will roll through NLL.

Eastwood returns a lot, but does lose their 2 running backs. They have athletes ready though I'm sure. Rossford/Otsego could contend though.

Toss up, per usual the last couple of years in the NWOAL.

Anthony Wayne was a 1 man team last year, hardly a machine. They lost by 2 scores to an Olentangy team who lost 40% of their team the prior year when Berlin opened when that player was gone (and that Berlin 40% gave AW a decent game in the 1st round if you took away 4 explosive runs by that one exceptional player).

People seem to have a hard time understanding about their programs when a generational player is there who elevates everyone else. It doesn't mean you have an exceptional program. Given that Mason and Scott are both gone now, I saw little in those last 2 games of their season from the other players on the field that would lead anyone to expect they will win all their league games by 3 TDs next year, that opinion is just completely laughable.

Anthony Wayne was a 1 man team last year, hardly a machine. They lost by 2 scores to an Olentangy team who lost 40% of their team the prior year when Berlin opened when that player was gone (and that Berlin 40% gave AW a decent game in the 1st round if you took away 4 explosive runs by that one exceptional player).

People seem to have a hard time understanding about their programs when a generational player is there who elevates everyone else. It doesn't mean you have an exceptional program. Given that Mason and Scott are both gone now, I saw little in those last 2 games of their season from the other players on the field that would lead anyone to expect they will win all their league games by 3 TDs next year, that opinion is just completely laughable.
You'd a said the same thing about their previous squads under Brungard when they had guys like Denman, Schneider, and Brown at QB.

AW plays good D and sticks their best athlete on offense at QB and uses him to death. Simple model really but it has more to do with a very weak league in the NLL. AW and Perrybsurg are big schools in an essential D3 league and it shows. They have more kids and more depth. Duh.

From 2009-2015ish NWOhio had some good ball going on with some deep talent. Since around 2015 it has dropped substantially. Aside from AW running through a weak league since 2016, Whitmer of 2017 was decent and CCHS of 18 was darn good. Many NWOhio folks live in a bubble and struggle to understand the level and degree of quality and talent that play elsewhere in the state including the OCC. This is especially true at the big boy level since NWOhio only has two real DI teams in Whitmer & Findlay (Start is DI but only in terms of enrollment).

Last edited:
Where did the Whitmer RB end up?

1589043314625.png

They've had guys like: Evan Brown, Bryce Boyer, Nolan Barber, Raimonde, Scott, Alberts, etc. Hardly 1 man teams.

Cavon Butler coming back to play football for UToledo.

They could use him in the paint. They've no beef on the BBall team.

You'd a said the same thing about their previous squads under Brungard when they had guys like Denman, Schneider, and Brown at QB.

AW plays good D and sticks their best athlete on offense at QB and uses him to death. Simple model really but it has more to do with a very weak league in the NLL. AW and Perrybsurg are big schools in an essential D3 league and it shows. They have more kids and more depth. Duh.

From 2009-2015ish NWOhio had some good ball going on with some deep talent. Since around 2015 it has dropped substantially. Aside from AW running through a weak league since 2016, Whitmer of 2017 was decent and CCHS of 18 was darn good. Many NWOhio folks live in a bubble and struggle to understand the level and degree of quality and talent that play elsewhere in the state including the OCC. This is especially true at the big boy level since NWOhio only has two real DI teams in Whitmer & Findlay (Start is DI but only in terms of enrollment).
And if I am not mistaken, with the new counts that came out recently, Findlay is the smallest DI school in the state.

And if I am not mistaken, with the new counts that came out recently, Findlay is the smallest DI school in the state.
Cut off is 591 and Findlay is at 600 so it is close.

Findlay had over 700 boys even recently. I guess that is the fluctuations you will see in a closed public district?

Whitmer has 839 last count. Whitmer has held pretty steady over the last decade around that number. There is no reason Whitmer should not have 100 boys out grades 10-12 every year, anywhere from 25-30 seniors, and put at least two or three kids per class into D-I/D-II realm.

This past October Findlay reported 1,931 students in their high school. Based on current enrollment data by the time the current Kindergartners are in 9th grade Findlay HS will have an enrollment of 1,607. That's only if no one moves out, open enrolls out and no one moves in. If all those k-3 kids remain for the foreseeable future then Findlay will still be a D1 school i'm guessing just because other larger D2's and smaller D1's may drop at the same or faster rate than they will.

It's funny and odd to me that OHSAA has Perrsyburg at 672 males in grades 9-11 and Findlay at 600. According to the ODE enrollment count Pburg has 862 males in 9-12 and Findlay has 988 males in 9-12.

Cut off is 591 and Findlay is at 600 so it is close.

Findlay had over 700 boys even recently. I guess that is the fluctuations you will see in a closed public district?
Findlay is the smallest D1 next year and is an open enrollment school. Of course being the biggest school in their area they net loser of students. It has been awhile since they had 700 boys in top three grades. 15-16 - 604, 17-18 - 612, 19-20 -600.

I think they will stay D1 most years going forward as others schools are losing students at the same or quicker rate.

Whitmer has 839 last count. Whitmer has held pretty steady over the last decade around that number. There is no reason Whitmer should not have 100 boys out grades 10-12 every year, anywhere from 25-30 seniors, and put at least two or three kids per class into D-I/D-II realm.
Best guess why that hasn’t been happening??

Findlay is the smallest D1 next year and is an open enrollment school. Of course being the biggest school in their area they net loser of students. It has been awhile since they had 700 boys in top three grades. 15-16 - 604, 17-18 - 612, 19-20 -600.

I think they will stay D1 most years going forward as others schools are losing students at the same or quicker rate.

"Findlay had over 700 boys even recently" - irish_buffalo

Depending how you define "awhile" and "recently." Lol.

I get it that Findlay can lose kids to a Liberty Benton and the Trojans may have open enrollment but they are also essentially on an island which is more to what I was talking about. Findlay Public Schools does not have to compete with 6 or 7 private schools for their kids/athletes.

I get it that Findlay can lose kids to a Liberty Benton and the Trojans may have open enrollment but they are also essentially on an island which is more to what I was talking about. Findlay Public Schools does not have to compete with 6 or 7 private schools for their kids/athletes.
I do not disagree with this. They lose nearly as many to Van Buren as LB. There has been a real increase in students going to StF, StJ and StU from Findlay for sports. As far as I know none of them are football players but golf, hockey, swimming and volleyball. St. John's has a van go back and forth everyday from Findlay.

Clearly it is not even close to the number of kids that schools like Clay, Perrysburg, Slyvania and AW lose.

I realize TCC plays a tough schedule every year but I just saw their 2020 schedule- 6 returning playoff teams

Detroit Western
Cleveland Benedictine @Euclid
Olentangy Orange
St Johns
@Lima Senior
Clay
@Whitmer
Fremont Ross
St Francis
@Findlay

Thanks for the edit cchs1983, would you rather play Euclid or Benedictine?

Last edited:
St Johns - SJ beat CCHS at Lyden Field two seasons ago
@Lima Senior - Lima Sr. has never beaten CCHS
Clay - Clay has not beaten CCHS since at home in 2003 10-7.
@Whitmer - The Panthers beat CCHS at the Gallagher in 2012 and 2017 (and 2015* :ROFLMAO:) but the Panthers have not beaten the Irish at home since 2011.
Fremont Ross - Ross last beat CCHS in 2005.
St Francis - SF last beat the Irish in 2003. What?! Yes, 2003, we are approaching 20 years of SF not being able to beat the Irish. Is it really even a rivalry anymore? Outside of nostalgia for some?
@Findlay - Findlay last beat the Irish in 2011.

That = dominance.

* - Darned officials. ;)

St Johns - SJ beat CCHS at Lyden Field two seasons ago
@Lima Senior - Lima Sr. has never beaten CCHS
Clay - Clay has not beaten CCHS since at home in 2003 10-7.
@Whitmer - The Panthers beat CCHS at the Gallagher in 2012 and 2017 (and 2015* :ROFLMAO:) but the Panthers have not beaten the Irish at home since 2011.
Fremont Ross - Ross last beat CCHS in 2005.
St Francis - SF last beat the Irish in 2003. What?! Yes, 2003, we are approaching 20 years of SF not being able to beat the Irish. Is it really even a rivalry anymore? Outside of nostalgia for some?
@Findlay - Findlay last beat the Irish in 2011.

That = dominance.

* - Darned officials. ;)
SJJ - And the Johnnies loaded again this year, just listen to them talk talk talk about how good they are. Hope they survive that opener at Waite.
LS - Had CCHS beat at CCHS, year escapes me. CCHS blocked 2 extra points which kept the game under 30 and a running clock, believe CCHS outscored them 28-0 in the 4th.
Whitmer - My fave game every year, love the atmosphere no matter where it's played and yes, 2015 was a terrible call that cost Whitmer. Intersting to see what the Panthers look like this year, hopefully they can survive that non-league tilt at Waite.
Ross - Fremont had a QB that played at UT who CCHS couldn't contain. Fun game at Start high school. CCHS later wins sates.
SFS - This is the year Chipka has been promising his fan base and money givers, "2020 is the year we get the IrishKnight back". Depth at QB and RB, but unfortunately for SFS he remains on the sidelines. Guy who kicked directly to Bowen, because Bowen was overrated, as Bowen ran the opening kickoff untouched for a TD, hope he stays at SFS forever.

SJJ - And the Johnnies loaded again this year, just listen to them talk talk talk about how good they are. Hope they survive that opener at Waite.
LS - Had CCHS beat at CCHS, year escapes me. CCHS blocked 2 extra points which kept the game under 30 and a running clock, believe CCHS outscored them 28-0 in the 4th.
Whitmer - My fave game every year, love the atmosphere no matter where it's played and yes, 2015 was a terrible call that cost Whitmer. Intersting to see what the Panthers look like this year, hopefully they can survive that non-league tilt at Waite.
Ross - Fremont had a QB that played at UT who CCHS couldn't contain. Fun game at Start high school. CCHS later wins sates.
SFS - This is the year Chipka has been promising his fan base and money givers, "2020 is the year we get the IrishKnight back". Depth at QB and RB, but unfortunately for SFS he remains on the sidelines. Guy who kicked directly to Bowen, because Bowen was overrated, as Bowen ran the opening kickoff untouched for a TD, hope he stays at SFS forever.

2015 again. Great game at CCHS. We (Whitmer) had just dispatched yet another overly talented SJ Titan team 48-17 and were listening to the end of the game on the big board on the field. That Lima Sr. team had DUDES.

Aaron Opelt. Beat UM. The QB after him at Ross (Ottney) was no slouch either.

Look, I'm not saying they didn't have some decent players who got scholarships, but the man called them "a machine". Now, you make a fair point about how they look relative to the D3 league they play in, and that's fine in the same way that a steak at Applebees is superior to a hamburger at McDonalds.

A "machine" that "plays good D" does not give up 400 yards and 36 points to a 2nd year team that is essentially 1/2 of a previous D1 team that was diluted 2 years ago. And then turn around and give up 350 yards and 31 points to the other 1/2 of that previous team the following week in a loss. That's not a machine, and not even worthy of any kind of praise, those are poor efforts. And all those other kids the other poster named were part of them in one way or another, perhaps with the exception of Scott who gets a pass due to his ankle injury.

At the end of the day we are talking about a team who has won 5 playoff games since moving to D2 in 2013 and missed the playoffs 3 of those years. That's not a machine. TCC is a machine. I'd even consider Whitmer a machine moreso than AW since they consistently make the playoffs.

Without Mason Alberts on that team last year, we are maybe? talking about an 8-2 team who likely would have lost any 1st round matchup to any of the other 7 playoff teams in that region. I might consider giving them the Troy game because they are really bad and have hopelessly deluded fans who don't understand football away from the tomato cans they play, which is a common problem in Ohio, ESPECIALLY D2 and under SWO.

There was nothing machine-like or special about that team, unless you are talking about relative to the D3 garbage in their league. You will see more when (if?) the playoffs happen this year.

Look, I'm not saying they didn't have some decent players who got scholarships, but the man called them "a machine". Now, you make a fair point about how they look relative to the D3 league they play in, and that's fine in the same way that a steak at Applebees is superior to a hamburger at McDonalds.

A "machine" that "plays good D" does not give up 400 yards and 36 points to a 2nd year team that is essentially 1/2 of a previous D1 team that was diluted 2 years ago. And then turn around and give up 350 yards and 31 points to the other 1/2 of that previous team the following week in a loss. That's not a machine, and not even worthy of any kind of praise, those are poor efforts. And all those other kids the other poster named were part of them in one way or another, perhaps with the exception of Scott who gets a pass due to his ankle injury.

At the end of the day we are talking about a team who has won 5 playoff games since moving to D2 in 2013 and missed the playoffs 3 of those years. That's not a machine. TCC is a machine. I'd even consider Whitmer a machine moreso than AW since they consistently make the playoffs.

Without Mason Alberts on that team last year, we are maybe? talking about an 8-2 team who likely would have lost any 1st round matchup to any of the other 7 playoff teams in that region. I might consider giving them the Troy game because they are really bad and have hopelessly deluded fans who don't understand football away from the tomato cans they play, which is a common problem in Ohio, ESPECIALLY D2 and under SWO.

There was nothing machine-like or special about that team, unless you are talking about relative to the D3 garbage in their league. You will see more when (if?) the playoffs happen this year.
Obsess much? Try not to get caught up on the word "machine" so much.

Not fair to pick on AW for being the best team in a down league, that's like saying Larry Holmes wasn't any good because he came after Ali, Frazier and Foreman and before Tyson. A champ is a champ. Everyone around here thought Kregel walked on water when he had two of his best classes with 2 gifted high school QB'S in back to back years. Where's P'Burg been since? Was the NLL that much better back then? I do know Kregel dropped CCHS off the schedule as soon as he could and now has done the same to Whitmer. Is AW a machine? Depends on how you define it, but I do know, you better be prepared to play when you have them on the schedule. Heck, the TRAC is down compared to past years. CCHS won the recently with a kid completing 35% of his passes, where can you win with that performance behind center?

So CCHS has Jalen Riven (6'3 220 LB - UT Commit), Tae'Shawn Johnson (5'11 180 WR - BGSU Commit), Prentiss Reasonover (5'11 205 RB - MAC offers), Chris Sennett (6'5" 285 OT - MAC/Cincy), J'shun Rushing - (6'3 180 WR - YSU/MAC) and just added...

And the very talented rising sophomore from Waite (Clark).

So CCHS has Jalen Riven (6'3 220 LB - UT Commit), Tae'Shawn Johnson (5'11 180 WR - BGSU Commit), Prentiss Reasonover (5'11 205 RB - MAC offers), Chris Sennett (6'5" 285 OT - MAC/Cincy), J'shun Rushing - (6'3 180 WR - YSU/MAC) and just added...

And the very talented rising sophomore from Waite (Clark).
Looks like another 5-5 season on Cherry St, in my best Greg Dempsey voice.

Lima was up 48-21 in the third quarter and lost 49-48. That was 2015