2020 SWBL Final Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did some research last night on the southwestern side of the SWBL for the last decade. Since we are starting a new decade it’s fun to take a look back at how the schools performed over the last 10 seasons

Playoff record in “( )”

Franklin 75-32 (2-6) 6 playoff app. 5 x champ

Valley View 70-39 (5-4) 4 playoff app. 1 x champ

Bellbrook 63-40 (1-2) 2 playoff app. 2 x champ

Brookville 61-44 (2-2) 2 playoff app. 1 x champ

Eaton 51-56 (2-1) 1 playoff app. 1 x champ

Monroe 35-66 (0-1) 1 playoff app.

Oakwood 32-68

some of the best seasons for this side of the league the last 10 years
2010 Eaton 12-1 regional runner up
2015 Brookville 12-1 regional runner up
2019 Valley View 10-3 regional runner up

Franklin winning the league 5 times in 10 years is mighty impressive

Bellbrook currently has 4 straight seasons of 3 losses or less

Valley View has the most 10+ win season the last decade with 4

hopefully the SWBL keeps having these teams represent their league well!

Excellent info. If you add in the Buckeye side and their playoff success it’s even more impressive. Milton, Madison, Waynesville and Carlisle have all had playoff success. Overall the SWBL is strong.
MU playoff record from 2010-2019 is 3-5 with one Regional runner-up in 2012. 1 SWBL title (2012). 6 playoff appearances.

Last edited:
I know this is an SWBL thread but I wanted to show you why I desperately hope they add CM. Here is the last decade in the SBC big side: reg season record first with playoff wins in ( )

Batavia 43-57 (1-1) 1 playoff appearance.
Goshen 51-49 (0-1) 1 playoff appearance.
Western Brown 57-43 (0-2) 2 playoff appearances.
Wilmington 58-42 no playoff appearances.
New Richmond 72-28 (2-3) 3 playoff appearances.
CM 92-8 (23-8) 10 playoff appearances.

Went ahead and did the Buckeye side of the league for the past decade
All records and playoff appearances are per Joe Eitel

Playoff record in “( )”
Madison - 64-43 (5-2) 2 playoff app. 4x champ
Waynesville - 62-44 (1-5) 5 playoff app. 3x champ
Milton-Union - 59-49 (3-5) 5 playoff app. 1x champ
Carlisle - 58-45 (0-3) 3 playoff app. 4x champ
Preble Shawnee - 37-63
Dixie - 33-68 (0-1) 1 playoff app.
Northridge - 25-75

best seasons the past decade
2012 Milton-Union 10-3 regional runner up
2017 Madison 11-3 Regional Champ, Final 4
2018 Madison 12-1 regional runner up

Carlisle and Waynesville both lead the league with 7 winning seasons in 10 years (Milton-Union was 2nd with 6)

Milton-Union and Waynesville also led the league with 5 playoff appearances the past 10 seasons

Madison and Carlisle both led the league with 4 titles won outright/shared

Madison was Mr. Consistent as the only team to win 4 or more games, per season, the past 10 years

Northridge celebrated their first winning season of the decade in 2019 (6-4)

Any idea who the winningest program in SWBL history is? That’s from 1944-2019. I think it’s between Valley View and Milton-Union. VV has more playoff success with the 3 State titles. Overall wins and losses. It would be interesting to see who that school is.

I wish there were better archives kept for seasons before 1990. Have a lot of trouble finding anything besides old AP polls and computer rankings that don’t even have the record.

Madison definitely had their best decade in school history. I still feel like they are going to really struggle, along with Carlisle, once the teams from the Buckeye league are gone after next season. Historically, they have not done well in crossover games.

Madison definitely had their best decade in school history. I still feel like they are going to really struggle, along with Carlisle, once the teams from the Buckeye league are gone after next season. Historically, they have not done well in crossover games.
I agree. I think Madison will be able to compete with everyone when they have great classes come through... like the 2019 graduating class. Most other years they will be lucky to go 5-5 in the new SWBL.

This is the reason I don’t think this new version of the SWBL works, it’s going to push teams from the bottom or the top out, teams like Franklin/Bellbrook and Madison/Carlisle have to decide what the next move is, guessing the bottom two are the odd guys out, but no one can look at this league and say it sets up nicely for Madison or Carlisle in any sport neither school is getting any bigger Madison doesn’t even have room to grow. And not sure Carlisle has any room to grow either maybe a little.

This is the reason Milton is leaving. Madison and MU are very similar. We saw a chance to play county schools and jumped on it. Covington vs MU will be a war. Can’t wait. They play this year in week 2. Covington is a very good program. 10 miles up at rte 48.
Could get Madison, Carlisle, Waynesville, Little Miami, New Miami, Blanchester and maybe Ross to form a new conference. The Hamilton 7 conference. Maybe even Monroe to make it 8. Bigger schools but not like the SWBL.

Last edited:
This is the reason Milton is leaving. Madison and MU are very similar. We saw a chance to play county schools and jumped on it. Covington vs MU will be a war. Can’t wait. They play this year in week 2. Covington is a very good program. 10 miles up at rte 48.
Could get Madison, Carlisle, Waynesville, Little Miami, New Miami, Blanchester and maybe Ross to form a new conference. The Hamilton 7 conference. Maybe even Monroe to make it 8. Bigger schools but not like the SWBL.
I think you’re right, I also believe we see another new conference in a few years also,I know Brookville doesn’t want in the MU conference right now but in a few years it maybe the best choice, it would also give the SWBL the room to add whatever bigger schools they wanted.

to be considered D III (272-377)
To be considered D IV (209-271)
To be considered D V (163-208)
(All #s adjusted for competitive balance)
SWBL Enrollment for 2020
D III
Franklin- 354
Monroe - 334
Bellbrook - 320

D IV
Oakwood- 249
Valley View- 239
Northridge- 223
Eaton- 219
Milton Union- 215
Waynesville- 211

D V
Carlisle- 192
Madison- 176
Brookville- 171
Preble Shawnee- 171

D VI
Dixie- 162

I think the notion Monroe belongs in a small school conference is not correct. I get their sports are down but they absolutely have the #s to rebound and be up there with Bellbrook and Franklin

I haven’t really been that much interested in conference realignment However if the SWBL does decide to realign I would like to see schools all with similar enrollment #s. It’s pretty crazy seeing the massive enrollment differences between teams within the same division

Also for reference CMs 2020 adjusted enrollment is 258

to be considered D III (272-377)
To be considered D IV (209-271)
To be considered D V (163-208)
(All #s adjusted for competitive balance)
SWBL Enrollment for 2020
D III
Franklin- 354
Monroe - 334
Bellbrook - 320

D IV
Oakwood- 249
Valley View- 239
Northridge- 223
Eaton- 219
Milton Union- 215
Waynesville- 211

D V
Carlisle- 192
Madison- 176
Brookville- 171
Preble Shawnee- 171

D VI
Dixie- 162

I think the notion Monroe belongs in a small school conference is not correct. I get their sports are down but they absolutely have the #s to rebound and be up there with Bellbrook and Franklin

I haven’t really been that much interested in conference realignment However if the SWBL does decide to realign I would like to see schools all with similar enrollment #s. It’s pretty crazy seeing the massive enrollment differences between teams within the same division

Also for reference CMs 2020 adjusted enrollment is 258
100% agree Monroe’s numbers are crazy the only schools you consider small that’s in the Southwestern side is Brookville, Oakwood and VV aren’t really that big but would guess if they split like that Brookville would be the odd man out. I thought Bless em all said he heard they were splitting into East and West.

I am not saying this is going to happen, because it's probably not likely. But I'd still love the WOAC to split into a north and south and see the south division to look something like this...

WOAC South = TVS, TCN, Preble Shawnee, Dixie, National Trail, Madison, Carlisle

I'm sure you understand that is a non-starter BF937. North, South, and Trail didn't help kick out Miami East and Bethel to add Madison and Carlisle. That whole league is going to live in their small bubble for a while before they let in any 'big' schools, (and I consider Carlisle and Madison big comparing them to most WOAC schools.)

I'm sure you understand that is a non-starter BF937. North, South, and Trail didn't help kick out Miami East and Bethel to add Madison and Carlisle. That whole league is going to live in their small bubble for a while before they let in any 'big' schools, (and I consider Carlisle and Madison big comparing them to most WOAC schools.)
South will be playing Madison week 1 starting next year, Carlisle’s football program hasn’t ever been that great besides a 3/4 year run same with Madison, both schools will end up in a different conference and I know Shawnee/Dixie will at least try to get the other WOAC schools on board with this might not happen but I know it will be a option.

The issue was the “bigger” schools like Miami East and Bethel. Madison and Carlisle are the same size. Madison will be very tough again and would likely win the WOAC every year. Carlisle is on the way back.

i don’t hate this league but i can’t ever imagine Little Miami and New Miami joining up. replace New Miami with Badin maybe?

South will be playing Madison week 1 starting next year, Carlisle’s football program hasn’t ever been that great besides a 3/4 year run same with Madison, both schools will end up in a different conference and I know Shawnee/Dixie will at least try to get the other WOAC schools on board with this might not happen but I know it will be a option.
TVS will actually play Carlisle starting week 1 of next season. Madison is the jamboree game. I understand why the CCC broke up, but I'm just speaking as to what I wish would happen.

I think a conference of what I previously mentioned would be good. Although TVS has always been in the CCC and we will now be in the WOAC, we've always played a lot of the smaller schools in the SWBL. Logistically we border a lot of the SWBL schools. Eaton, Dixie, Preble Shawnee, Brookville and Valley View all bump up to our school district. I always cringe when I think about the early/mid 2000's when TVS and TCN were reached out to, as a pairing, with an invitation to join the small school division of the SWBL. TVS was in favor and TCN was not. I think that would have been a good move if we would have joined. Oh well, it doesn't matter now...

i don’t hate this league but i can’t ever imagine Little Miami and New Miami joining up. replace New Miami with Badin maybe?
Little Miami is too big and and still growing. New Miami couldn't compete against any of those schools they are DVII and not getting any bigger. Badin would dominate in just about every sport, but especially football. They beat Alter twice this year (no small feat) and played a solid game against Trotwood in the regional final. There is no simple answer for either Madison or Carlisle. The current Buckeye division was a great fit, but without adding extensive travel there really isn't a great match for either of them.

The best option for the small SWBL schools is to reform without Bellbrook, Monroe, and Franklin. Won't be a popular opinion, but Valley View, Eaton, Oakwood, Waynesville, Carlisle, Madison, Brookville is one school away from a solid mid-size league. I don't know who that 8th school is though. Massie would be good. Dayton Christian would be a stretch, but they might be up for it.

Franklin, Bellbrook, and Monroe could join the 7 teams in the SWOC, bringing it to a 10 team league.

The best option for the small SWBL schools is to reform without Bellbrook, Monroe, and Franklin. Won't be a popular opinion, but Valley View, Eaton, Oakwood, Waynesville, Carlisle, Madison, Brookville is one school away from a solid mid-size league. I don't know who that 8th school is though. Massie would be good. Dayton Christian would be a stretch, but they might be up for it.

Franklin, Bellbrook, and Monroe could join the 7 teams in the SWOC, bringing it to a 10 team league.
That would be insane for Bellbrook. They won't leave the SWBL for a league where their average travel distance would be roughly an hour. If they leave for any conference it would be the MVL.

That would be insane for Bellbrook. They won't leave the SWBL for a league where their average travel distance would be roughly an hour. If they leave for any conference it would be the MVL.
That’s if the MVL wants them. A lot of “what if’s” here.
dograt is right. The 3 largest schools are either going to leave the league or they will determine its future. SWBL was always a small school league and seeing it move towards larger schools takes away from the foundation of the SWBL.
Bellbrook, Franklin and Monroe are fully capable of finding another conference to join. The other 7 could add a couple of nice programs like CM, East Clinton or even Greeneview and have a nice SWBL.
Bellbrook will hang onto the SWBL as long as they can. Just like Brookville. Franklin and Monroe could take it or leave it.

That’s if the MVL wants them. A lot of “what if’s” here.
dograt is right. The 3 largest schools are either going to leave the league or they will determine its future. SWBL was always a small school league and seeing it move towards larger schools takes away from the foundation of the SWBL.
Bellbrook, Franklin and Monroe are fully capable of finding another conference to join. The other 7 could add a couple of nice programs like CM, East Clinton or even Greeneview and have a nice SWBL.
Bellbrook will hang onto the SWBL as long as they can. Just like Brookville. Franklin and Monroe could take it or leave it.
I agree with that. I wouldn’t be surprised if Franklin and Monroe left sometime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.