2020 SWBL Final Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bless Em All

I was here for the last 3 times that the SWBL split up and reorganized in 1974, 1981 and 2000.

2020 is the swan song of the current format. Milton, Northridge, Shawnee and Dixie are all leaving In 2021.

2020 will see Milton play it’s last season in the SWBL after stints from 1945-1981 and 2000-2020.
Northridge has been a consistent member since 1958, Dixie since 1975 and Shawnee since 1984.
Will any of these schools have a shot at a final SWBL football crown or will the remaining members take it home?
Milton has a favorable schedule but faces Miami East, Covington, Madison, Waynesville and Valley View this year. A tall task.
thoughts?

Milton lost everybody and will be lucky to win a game. Everyone should just look past them and use that week to get ready for the following opponent.;)

Milton Union- maybe, but won’t be favored. Waynesville should be very good. but they’ll be in the mix for sure. Only time will tell how they adjust after losing a very good senior class.

Northridge- probably not but you never know, they seemed to be pretty competitive last year in most games

Preble Shawnee- maybe but probably not. they’re inconsistent. they gave Franklin all they could handle and thrashed West Carrollton. if they can come up on the winning end in some of their bigger games, they’ll be right in the thick of it.

Dixie- no. sorry, but no.

Should be wide open on the Buckeye side, I can’t think of a team that’s head and shoulders above another besides Dixie but think they will be a little better, as for the Southwestern side I don’t really follow but I’d guess the same three teams as always VV,Bellbrook,Franklin

Shawnee might surprise a few this year. Just sayin. Milton is a guessing game, Northridge has the talent, Dixie is a weaker program.
I feel like Shawnee lost a lot last year, especially in regards to skill players. They had a very nice Senior class. Just in losses of Green (QB), Hobbs (RB/LB) and Tutt (WR/DB). Those are some pretty big shoes to fill. Shawnee is not your typical school that "reloads" every year, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

I feel like Shawnee lost a lot last year, especially in regards to skill players. They had a very nice Senior class. Just in losses of Green (QB), Hobbs (RB/LB) and Tutt (WR/DB). Those are some pretty big shoes to fill. Shawnee is not your typical school that "reloads" every year, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes.
Not sure many in Arrow land would agree with you on that, are QB this year should’ve been the QB the last two years better arm throws a better ball and runs way better than last years QB for whatever reason he wasn’t, he’s also been the leading tackler the last two seasons so that maybe is one of the reasons he wasn’t the QB, as for RB if you remember 3 years ago a kid named Eil Gibson who had a huge senior season his little brother will be a senior this year and is on the same track as Eli was in his final season, as for Wideout look for Singleton to have a big year catching the football also two sophomores to look out for is Huchinson and Doran who both are going to be really good players, the biggest hole is the one left by Tyler Stevenson a big Oline/Dline kid who was a animal, overall I think it will be the same kind of year as last year maybe with a couple of bounces go are way a little better just my take.

Not sure many in Arrow land would agree with you on that, are QB this year should’ve been the QB the last two years better arm throws a better ball and runs way better than last years QB for whatever reason he wasn’t, he’s also been the leading tackler the last two seasons so that maybe is one of the reasons he wasn’t the QB, as for RB if you remember 3 years ago a kid named Eil Gibson who had a huge senior season his little brother will be a senior this year and is on the same track as Eli was in his final season, as for Wideout look for Singleton to have a big year catching the football also two sophomores to look out for is Huchinson and Doran who both are going to be really good players, the biggest hole is the one left by Tyler Stevenson a big Oline/Dline kid who was a animal, overall I think it will be the same kind of year as last year maybe with a couple of bounces go are way a little better just my take.
That sounds pretty good. I know Singleton is a really good athlete and it sounds like you should be good at RB then too. I really thought Hobbs was a tank and a tough RB. I figured he would be the hardest to replace, but it sounds like the Gibson could do just that. I guess I could be wrong, but I figured Shawnee would take a few steps back next year. I was also surprised to see that Green had 23 TD passes last year with only 4 INT's. If the other kid is a better passer, he could put up some crazy numbers.

That sounds pretty good. I know Singleton is a really good athlete and it sounds like you should be good at RB then too. I really thought Hobbs was a tank and a tough RB. I figured he would be the hardest to replace, but it sounds like the Gibson could do just that. I guess I could be wrong, but I figured Shawnee would take a few steps back next year. I was also surprised to see that Green had 23 TD passes last year with only 4 INT's. If the other kid is a better passer, he could put up some crazy numbers.
Don’t let that SWBL site fool you he threw 6 INTs against Madison alone and ended the season with 14 I do believe.

Don’t let that SWBL site fool you he threw 6 INTs against Madison alone and ended the season with 14 I do believe.
The SWBL site definitely got me because that's what I was looking at. I didn't realize that it was not accurate, but that does make sense. 23 TD's to only 4 INT's is pretty crazy. Maybe Preble Shawnee can push in the division this year, but to me it does seem kind of wide open. I'd predict Waynesville, Milton Union and Madison to be right there in the mix again. Then Shawnee. Northridge will have talent and they will win some games, but not against the top teams in the division. Then Carlisle and Dixie bringing up the rear. Dixie's good class will now be Juniors, so maybe they will be more competitive.

The SWBL site definitely got me because that's what I was looking at. I didn't realize that it was not accurate, but that does make sense. 23 TD's to only 4 INT's is pretty crazy. Maybe Preble Shawnee can push in the division this year, but to me it does seem kind of wide open. I'd predict Waynesville, Milton Union and Madison to be right there in the mix again. Then Shawnee. Northridge will have talent and they will win some games, but not against the top teams in the division. Then Carlisle and Dixie bringing up the rear. Dixie's good class will now be Juniors, so maybe they will be more competitive.
I would agree with that, but I don’t see any team as unbeatable, I mean Milton had that Lovin kid who scored 30 TDS last year, Madison lost there QB, Waynesville lost there top two leading rushers and leading wideout, I believe everyone every year has big holes to fill just a matter of who does it better.

I would agree with that, but I don’t see any team as unbeatable, I mean Milton had that Lovin kid who scored 30 TDS last year, Madison lost there QB, Waynesville lost there top two leading rushers and leading wideout, I believe everyone every year has big holes to fill just a matter of who does it better.
I don't know what to trust now that I see the SWBL site is not all that accurate. On the SWBL site for Waynesville it shows Waynesville as getting back one of their top 2 RB's. It lists a Junior as the player that led the team in carries (didn't have the most yards), that also tied for the team lead in rushing TD's with 9. I'm curious at what MU will do at QB? It looks like their back-up last year was a Freshman, but you also have the Brumbaugh kid that was a Freshman last year. Do you move him to QB to replace his brother?

The waynesville player you’re talking about is there QB also I was just talking about players at the RB position, the Milton question not sure guess however they feel about getting the ball in his hands, is it better as QB or letting him have the Lovin kids role my guess is if they wanted to play him at QB they would have let him take some snaps there last year, maybe they did but it doesn’t look like it.

The waynesville player you’re talking about is there QB also I was just talking about players at the RB position, the Milton question not sure guess however they feel about getting the ball in his hands, is it better as QB or letting him have the Lovin kids role my guess is if they wanted to play him at QB they would have let him take some snaps there last year, maybe they did but it doesn’t look like it.
I failed to realize that it was their QB with those rushing yards. You are probably right about the Brumbaugh kid, makes more sense for him to be in the Lovin kids role.

MU will be empty this year lost a lot of talent. We might even lose to Northridge. ?
Brumbaugh is a WR. Our qb is an unproven soph. No Lovin this year for the Dogs at RB.

MU will be empty this year lost a lot of talent. We might even lose to Northridge. ?
Brumbaugh is a WR. Our qb is an unproven soph. No Lovin this year for the Dogs at RB.
MU will be like most teams in the Buckeye might win it might have a bad year

Last edited:
Buckeye division is up in the air this year I would say Carlisle and Dixie are the only teams that don't have a great shot to win it

Not sure about Lovin. MU has a good foundation to win. It’s all in the work right now and the dedication to be better each down of each game.
Waynesville is proof of that.

How many SWBL titles does your school own? Milton has 18. I believe Valley View is second. Does anyone have the figures? Dograt?

Not sure about Lovin. MU has a good foundation to win. It’s all in the work right now and the dedication to be better each down of each game.
Waynesville is proof of that.
It looks like the Lovin kid is going down the path of college baseball. He was first team all league as a Sophomore/Junior but unfortunately lost his Senior year. He has a recruiting page set up for baseball and it lists him on the Dayton Classics, so he's probably playing baseball right now. Hopefully that works out for him.

Lovin is playing baseball at Marietta. They want him to play both, but so far it's just one. Baseball at Marietta is serious!

My SWBL records are only for the years MU was in the league. I don't have titles for 1982-2000.
I can tell you up through 1981, (not sure its fair since the league was very different). Of current SWBL schools, MU had 15 titles, Bellbrook and Eaton 2, Brookville and Oakwood 1. (5 each for Tipp, Butler and Northmont. 3 for Trotwood and West Carrollton). I don't think it means much since the current schools weren't really playing each other. If another school was killing it in a different league, it might not look like they were any good with these numbers.

1982-2000 we had a 10-0 SRC Championship in its first year. Nothing again until 2006 SWBL title. Quite a dry period. Needed a good coach and finally got one in 2000. Milton went through Adams, Farrar, Christello, Sergent and Engle before Pearce was hired.
15 SWBL titles from 1949 to 1981. It was a different league, different schools and different game back then. It’s hard to believe the 1981 SWBL title was almost 40 years ago. Geeze I’m getting OLD.

Valley View has won or shared the SWBL league title 14 times

1982, 1983, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2017

Who is the favorite on the SW side, seems like they all had pretty senior heavy teams last year besides Bellbrook but that certainly doesn’t mean that they are the favorites to win the league.

Valley View has won or shared the SWBL league title 14 times

1982, 1983, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2017
I always say if we would’ve been in the SWBL in 82-83 we would’ve won it. 82 we were 10-0 in the SRC and 83 we were 7-3. But we beat Valley View every year we played them in junior high, frosh and JV. Our 82 team was undefeated and unscored upon from like 6th grade until varsity. Basketball was 19-1 that year too.
VV was good in those years but we were in our prime. Just never could get above #3 in region 12 D3. Always went to St Mary’s or Urbana. Wyoming was in that region too. MU finished #3 in 1982.
Since we came back we have 3 more titles. I believe we are up to 19 total. 15 prior to 1982. 1 in SRC, 3 after 2000. 18 SWBL Championships. That’s with a 20 year absence.

I did a quick survey of the SWBL champions list I have and here is the results for most titles:

Milton-Union- 18
Valley View- 13 (IRLMN1999 is unfortunately mistaken Valley View was not an SWBL champ in 2001 they finished 2nd in the Southwest Division behind Bellbrook)
Eaton- 10
Brookville- 10
Bellbrook- 9
Carlisle- 8
Waynesville- 6
Northmont- 5
Vandalia Butler- 5
Tipp City- 5
Franklin- 5
Madison- 4
Monroe- 3
Trotwood-Madison- 3
West Carrolton- 3
Versailles- 2
Greenville- 2
Oakwood- 2
Northridge- 1
Dixie- 1
Englewood Randolph Twp.- 0
Preble Shawnee- 0

If I have time I might try to post the whole year by year list of champions later.

Status
Not open for further replies.