2020 StX Football

The coaching staff is high on both McGaughey and Klare.
Klare kicked off on varsity.
Sounds like McGaughey was slightly ahead of Klare.
Suppose McGaughey wins the job, do they keep Klare (6'4" 196lb) as backup or with his athleticism and size move him to TE or DE?
His brother, dad and uncle all played in the trenches: Sam at center (Class of 17), Andy (defensive end class of 86 played at Boston College) and John (defensive tackle Class of 82 played at Georgia Tech).
Maybe TE, but unless that decision is made early and he can hit the feedbag, he’d be too light to be much more than a rush end. Whoever can take that qb spot has no shortage of weapons, they could own some records in Coverdale’s offense

Usually the Bombers play 25 to 30 players during the season on varsity.
As usual competition at camp and during the summer will be intense.
With my 2020 vision I see about 27 players plus or minus with 18 being juniors and 9 seniors.
Next year's sophomore class is talented but with the level of talent at each position in the upper 2 classes it will be next to impossible for any sophomores to see the varsity field unless......
What a change that would be from years past when 2 to 3 sophomores played at the varsity level, with last year being a 9 player anomaly.

GO X!

Sophomores on Varsity Past 10 years

2019 (9): OL Cam Collins, OL Brian Parker, Kickoff Max Klare, CB Josh Anderson, CB Ryan Nolan, FS Eli Kirk, OL Jack Renneker, PK Mason Rohmiller, RB Luke Vrsansky

2018 (2): OL Gio Albanese, WR Liam Clifford (Penn State)

2017 (2): OL Jack Kirby (Penn), OL Paris Johnson (Ohio State)

2016 (2): LB Thomas Kiessling (Holy Cross), WR Jared Kreimer (Holy Cross)

2015 (1): RB Cameron Specht (Dayton)

2014 (3): QB Sean Clifford (Penn State), OL Matt Bockhorst (Clemson), WR Colton Paul (Ashland)

2013 (4): NG Simeon Lane (Princeton), LB Cole Jones (Army), RB Ben Glines (Boston College), LB Justin Hilliard (Ohio State)

2012 (2) RB CJ Hilliard (Iowa) and WR/CB Ryan Frey

2011 (3): WR Trey Kilgore (Michigan State), WR Kevin Milligan and LB Mark Jacob (Buffalo)

2010 (3): DE Nate Gerbus (Miami OH), C Brandyn Cook (Miami OH), RB Conor Hundley (Akron)

Sophomores on Varsity Past 10 years

2019 (9): OL Cam Collins, OL Brian Parker, Kickoff Max Klare, CB Josh Anderson, CB Ryan Nolan, FS Eli Kirk, OL Jack Renneker, PK Mason Rohmiller, RB Luke Vrsansky

2018 (2): OL Gio Albanese, WR Liam Clifford (Penn State)

2017 (2): OL Jack Kirby (Penn), OL Paris Johnson (Ohio State)

2016 (2): LB Thomas Kiessling (Holy Cross), WR Jared Kreimer (Holy Cross)

2015 (1): RB Cameron Specht (Dayton)

2014 (3): QB Sean Clifford (Penn State), OL Matt Bockhorst (Clemson), WR Colton Paul (Ashland)

2013 (4): NG Simeon Lane (Princeton), LB Cole Jones (Army), RB Ben Glines (Boston College), LB Justin Hilliard (Ohio State)

2012 (2) RB CJ Hilliard (Iowa) and WR/CB Ryan Frey

2011 (3): WR Trey Kilgore (Michigan State), WR Kevin Milligan and LB Mark Jacob (Buffalo)

2010 (3): DE Nate Gerbus (Miami OH), C Brandyn Cook (Miami OH), RB Conor Hundley (Akron)

In 2017 Kellen Newman and Wyatt Hudepohl both played varsity. Newman, Kirby and Johnson all started at least two games that year.

Maybe TE, but unless that decision is made early and he can hit the feedbag, he’d be too light to be much more than a rush end. Whoever can take that qb spot has no shortage of weapons, they could own some records in Coverdale’s offense

StX Receiving Records as Liam Clifford enters his senior season

Season

Receptions: 86 Marshall Lang, 77 Liam Clifford, Cam Specht 68
Yards: 1,180 Liam Clifford, 1,012 Marshall Lang, Sam McDonald 897
TDs: 13 Liam Clifford, 10 Marshall Lang, 10 Sam McDonald

Single Game
Receptions: 13 Kevin Milligan, Liam Clifford and Marshall Lang
Yards: 215 Michael Larkin, 185 Liam Clifford
TDs: 3 Sam McDonald, Jack Cameron, Michael Larkin, Josh Williams, Marshall Lang and Liam Clifford

Career
Receptions: 150 Cam Specht, 127 Kevin Milligan, 105 Jared Kreimer, 99 Andrew Wittrock, 94 Liam Clifford
Yards: 1,608 Sam McDonald, 1,486 Josh Williams, 1,448 Liam Clifford
TDs: 19 Andrew Wittrock, 18 Liam Clifford, 16 Sam McDonald

Mason Rohmiller ranked the top kicker in the class of 2022 by Game Winning Kick with a 4.5 star ranking. Congrats to Mason! Looking forward to the 2020 season.

Mason Rohmiller ranked the top kicker in the class of 2022 by Game Winning Kick with a 4.5 star ranking. Congrats to Mason! Looking forward to the 2020 season.

Fantastic!

Although Rohmiller showed great promise last season Specht didn't have a whole lot of confidence in the sophomore as shown in the final game when he opted to go for it both times in Elder territory in the 4th quarter coming away with zero points rather than the 6 that would have won the game.

The 2016 stellar punt/placekicking combination of Josh Glaser and Kevin Rockwood were critical in winning the state title.

Rockwood gained eligibility mid season and in 10 games was perfect on extra points (28 for 28) and 9 of 12 on FGs nearly automatic within 40 yards. He accounted for 35 points in the 5 post season games (20 in the final 2 games).
He nailed a 31 yard FG to make it 10-3 in the title game and his 30 yard FG at the end of regulation forced OT vs Colerain in round 2.

Josh Glaser was possibly the best punter in Bomber history.
His 89 punts for 3,625 yards in the 2016 State Championship season are both single season records.
The 40.73 yard punt average is 2nd StX All Time.
His 59 yard punt in the title game pinned St. Ignatius at their own 5 yard line setting up the Bacevich fumble recovery TD

GO X!

Last edited:
With the pending graduation of last season's punter who are the candidates to handle this all important job for the 2020 season?

Max Klare will most likely be the punter this year.

He could be pretty busy this season kicking off, punting and playing QB.
Should he not be named the starting QB, a position change may also be on his already full plate

With the pending graduation of last season's punter who are the candidates to handle this all important job for the 2020 season?
Mccaughey was the punter if needed last year. he also was the best punter on JV so most likely he will punt next year which could be a decent threat especially since he likely will start at qb

I figured Klare was 2nd since he appeared to be backing up Rueve at Varsity games.
This is without a doubt the key position to be determined for next season.
Wyche's injury set him back but hopefully he can work his way back into the discussion.
The frosh QB Fitzgerald was solid this season and has good size.

Speaking of big freshmen the OLineman Rob Fogler is already 6'6" and 260lb.
He probably shows up for camp at 6'7" 275-280lb.
X had 2 sophomores on varsity this past season and they were 6'4" 240lb
mccaughey was #2 QB on varsity season, he practiced with the 2s and some times with the 1s all season and he was the clear leader in all meaningful stats at practice and on JV. should be a fun season. lots of elite returners and its a very close team. potential elite tandem at RB, great defense, an elite qb returning who knows the system and the o-line is stacked plus many strong athletes able to play multiple positions no many holes this coming year but they are still kids..ha. ya never know but on paper, looking good for bomber-nation!

mccaughey was #2 QB on varsity season, he practiced with the 2s and some times with the 1s all season and he was the clear leader in all meaningful stats at practice and on JV. should be a fun season. lots of elite returners and its a very close team. potential elite tandem at RB, great defense, an elite qb returning who knows the system and the o-line is stacked plus many strong athletes able to play multiple positions no many holes this coming year but they are still kids..ha. ya never know but on paper, looking good for bomber-nation!

Are you talking about varsity? If so, I am not sure I can agree with your assessment. I do think next year will be a great year but I would say it's because: (1) we have one of the best receiver/playmaker's X has ever had; (2) we have an 80% returning Oline while not elite roadgrinders, are experienced and got better as the year went on; (3) we have two running backs capable of being very good; (4) we are in the second year of an offensive system/coach that showed some real promise last year; (5) we have a fairly experienced and solid defense (would love to see a DE step up as elite pass rusher and a DB step up as an elite shut down defender); and (6) special teams/kicking game should continue improving from what was almost a program low 2 years ago.

As far as the QB position goes, I have hopes but I don't see how anyone can feel we are set for next year.

Each year the St X team is met with this type of optimism although the use of the word elite for guys who have not started on varsity might be a bit of a stretch (although they might end up being elite). JV performance is not necessarily an indicator of how someone would perform at the varsity level.

Clifford is clearly an elite skill player however I don't think any of the other potential starters can be deemed elite at this point in time. The offensive line brings back a lot of experience and I think will be a strength of the offense. Marshall Lang will be very difficult to replace and his production will be missed. I will also be shocked if the new QB can replace Rueve's production. He was a pleasant surprise last year and produced at a level that very few St X QB's have matched.

The defense has lost 5 of its top 7 leaders in tackles. Guys like Hundley and O'Malley were big time playmakers with a lot of experience. It will take some time for their replacements to step in with similar production.

Each year St X has optimism due to the strength of this program. From the weight program, to coaching to the number of players in the program there is always room for optimism going into a season. This season should be no different but there are some rather big shoes to fill and only time will tell if they are up to the task

keep an eye on Max Bonner (he is currently a freshman). The kid has elite speed, good size, and the ability to make a lot of great defensive plays. It would not shock me if he ended up starting Varsity next season

I think that Max has a shot at making Varsity, but doubt that he would get much playing time other than on Special Teams. We have a lot of returning talent at LB this year. All depends on his progress in the weight room this off season. I am more interested to see where he ends up in the Lacrosse program this spring.

StX Hall of Fame Inductions

RB Darius Ashley and WR/PK Danny Milligan both class of 2008 and key members of the 2005 and 2007 state championship teams will be inducted into the StX hall of fame on Thursday February 6th.

https://www.stxavier.org/athletics/halloffame

Each year the St X team is met with this type of optimism although the use of the word elite for guys who have not started on varsity might be a bit of a stretch (although they might end up being elite). JV performance is not necessarily an indicator of how someone would perform at the varsity level.

Clifford is clearly an elite skill player however I don't think any of the other potential starters can be deemed elite at this point in time. The offensive line brings back a lot of experience and I think will be a strength of the offense. Marshall Lang will be very difficult to replace and his production will be missed. I will also be shocked if the new QB can replace Rueve's production. He was a pleasant surprise last year and produced at a level that very few St X QB's have matched.

The defense has lost 5 of its top 7 leaders in tackles. Guys like Hundley and O'Malley were big time playmakers with a lot of experience. It will take some time for their replacements to step in with similar production.

Each year St X has optimism due to the strength of this program. From the weight program, to coaching to the number of players in the program there is always room for optimism going into a season. This season should be no different but there are some rather big shoes to fill and only time will tell if they are up to the task

I can get the skepticism, especially on defense. The offense will definitely be the strength of the team, even with Rueve moving on. He was a VERY pleasant surprise, and the system was a great match for his strengths. Hopefully Mcgaughey, Klare, or Wyche will fit just as well. With the talent they have at just about every other spot, just keeping the ship on course with accuracy and good reads can yield big results.

I'm a little more optimistic on defense. O'Malley was solid, but Kirk outplayed the other linebackers, especially in the back half of the season. I just hope they can get some size up front, especially on the ends. The backfield should be a bit more settled and played better as the year went on. As much as I loved watching Hundley make spectacular plays at times, since he was so aggressive it opened up the defense for big plays, which was their Achilles heel. There were not a ton of long drives against them from what I remember.

I can get the skepticism, especially on defense. The offense will definitely be the strength of the team, even with Rueve moving on. He was a VERY pleasant surprise, and the system was a great match for his strengths. Hopefully Mcgaughey, Klare, or Wyche will fit just as well. With the talent they have at just about every other spot, just keeping the ship on course with accuracy and good reads can yield big results.

I'm a little more optimistic on defense. O'Malley was solid, but Kirk outplayed the other linebackers, especially in the back half of the season. I just hope they can get some size up front, especially on the ends. The backfield should be a bit more settled and played better as the year went on. As much as I loved watching Hundley make spectacular plays at times, since he was so aggressive it opened up the defense for big plays, which was their Achilles heel. There were not a ton of long drives against them from what I remember.

Lack of speed in the defensive backfield was the Achilles heel of the defense this year and unfortunately I don't see it being much better this year. There are some guys that have good technique and the coaches hide their flaws with scheme but the bottom line there is no one coming back as a corner or safety that has above average speed. Marquee Cummings will probably be the fastest person on the defense and he currently plays linebacker, if he moves to safety or adjuster it will give us someone with above average speed in the defensive backfield.

Lack of speed in the defensive backfield was the Achilles heel of the defense this year and unfortunately I don't see it being much better this year. There are some guys that have good technique and the coaches hide their flaws with scheme but the bottom line there is no one coming back as a corner or safety that has above average speed. Marquee Cummings will probably be the fastest person on the defense and he currently plays linebacker, if he moves to safety or adjuster it will give us someone with above average speed in the defensive backfield.

True, lack of speed did really hurt last year, beat over the top so many times. Combined with not really having any notable edge rush, it was a recipe for bombs away

Big plays definitely hurt this team although it was not just big pass plays. If you look at big scoring plays from last year you will see almost as many runs

Elder game 1 Leubbe 65 and 83 yard TD runs
LaSalle 75 yard pass TD
Elder playoff Leubbe 70 yard run TD
Indy Cathedral 83 yard pass 56 yard pass 57 and 54 yard TD runs
Moeller 66 and 70 yard pass TD
Mason 31 yard TD run

The good news is every year it seems as if a guy steps up as a first year starter as a senior and has a big year. The 2016 team had Brady Stoll and Cade Harper have great years as first year starters.

Big plays definitely hurt this team although it was not just big pass plays. If you look at big scoring plays from last year you will see almost as many runs

Elder game 1 Leubbe 65 and 83 yard TD runs
LaSalle 75 yard pass TD
Elder playoff Leubbe 70 yard run TD
Indy Cathedral 83 yard pass 56 yard pass 57 and 54 yard TD runs
Moeller 66 and 70 yard pass TD
Mason 31 yard TD run

The good news is every year it seems as if a guy steps up as a first year starter as a senior and has a big year. The 2016 team had Brady Stoll and Cade Harper have great years as first year starters.

The number of big runs and big pass plays that ended up as touchdowns both point to lack of speed in the defensive backfield and on defense period. BJ ferguson on numerous occasions saved TDs his junior and senior year by running guys down from behind. Remember the playoff game where he ran Jutahn McClain, from Fairfield down from behind and stripped him. He also ran JJ Davis from Colerain down from behind. We definitely didn't have anyone on defense last year that was even close to BJ in speed and you could definitely tell. They did do a good job of keeping elder(luebbe) contained in the playoff game except for that one big run that killed us.

Read Cam Collins has a couple D1 Offers and he is likely to get a lot more considering he is class of 2024. He is going to be a very good Left Tackle for St X these next two seasons.

Read Cam Collins has a couple D1 Offers and he is likely to get a lot more considering he is class of 2024. He is going to be a very good Left Tackle for St X these next two seasons.
Collins is c/o 22 but if you're gonna talk about an OL look at Parker. Already has Pitt, Akron, and Toledo, was way more talented then collins last year.

Don Shula RIP 1930-2020

1588692466549.png

Shula, Greg Scruggs (StX Class of 2008), Steve Specht (2017 Don Shula High School Coach of the Year), Troy Vincent

OLine stuff. I believe I heard Big Wass just got an offer from Youngstown State. If his feet are quick enough I'd envision him playing the other guard spot. Center spot is open. Rennecker got some snaps there last year when Uhlie was hurt for a couple of games. Sizemore may also be in the mix for a look based on size and relative quickness for linemen.

Heard that Big Wass (Youngstown), Collins (Toledo, Akron), Parker (Pitt, UC, Toledo, Akron) and Whitehouse (Lake Erie College) have all received offers recently, so that sounds impressive for a returning o-line. It was Parker who filled in at C for Uhl last year, with Renneker at LG.

Heard that Big Wass (Youngstown), Collins (Toledo, Akron), Parker (Pitt, UC, Toledo, Akron) and Whitehouse (Lake Erie College) have all received offers recently, so that sounds impressive for a returning o-line. It was Parker who filled in at C for Uhl last year, with Renneker at LG.
What year are each of these guys?