2020 St. Ignatius Football

Agree 100%

I don't like the offense the Cats run at any level.
I’ve seen a lot of the same frustrations in the St. Edward thread with their offense. Their run-heavy, pass-rarely approach has some Eagles fans upset over in their thread.

Just curious- what kind of offense are you running if you’re the Ignatius offensive coordinator?

I’ve seen a lot of the same frustrations in the St. Edward thread with their offense. Their run-heavy, pass-rarely approach has some Eagles fans upset over in their thread.

Just curious- what kind of offense are you running if you’re the Ignatius offensive coordinator?
Things that work even with limited playmakers.

Slants for the Wrs, get the TE behind the linebackers and in front of the safeties.

Actually go under center once in a while. In the constant shotgun, the RB starts from a dead stop with no momentum. Give him a chance to start moving forward. Mix in some play action.

I'm not an offensive guru, but I have been watching this program since 1986. Nick's playcalling is really bad, and it's getting worse.

To start, if you have third and six, don't always try to throw the ball down the field 20 yds. Secondly, when have you seen a pitch-out or a misdirection? Have plays to counteract the blitz. Teams know that if they blitz the whole game, the offense will have no answers; they'll still try to throw it 20 yds downfield. Try returning to a fullback on specific occasions. It used to work very well by bringing in a linebacker to play fullback. You can't send a 170 pounder into the line to try to get two yards and expect to get it without more blocking.

Things that work even with limited playmakers.

Slants for the Wrs, get the TE behind the linebackers and in front of the safeties.

Actually go under center once in a while. In the constant shotgun, the RB starts from a dead stop with no momentum. Give him a chance to start moving forward. Mix in some play action.

I'm not an offensive guru, but I have been watching this program since 1986. Nick's playcalling is really bad, and it's getting worse.
I did see slants for the WRs at times Saturday to Becker, Dunstan and Lamirand got in between the linebackers and safeties for 10 catches for 120 yards. Might not be a bad thing to have more plays under center, I agree with you there. Maybe a bit of I-formation with a fullback.

I have to wholeheartedly disagree with you about Nick's playcalling. Sometimes the execution is lacking, but I don't think the playcalling is. The offense averaged 27 pts/game last year and 26 pts/game this year (St. Ed's averaged 26 points as well). Sure, could the Cats have scored more points, yep. But also, this offense had a bunch of injuries:

RB: Simcak, Lenehan (midway thru Regional Semi)
WR: LaSpina, Michael Morgan, Dunstan missed the Solon game and wasn't 100% after
LG: Joe Ryland
RT: Ashton Montgomery (during Euclid game)

No excuses, but I'll take Restifo over most other coordinators. I think he takes a lot of undue flak. We didn't lose on Saturday because of the offense. We lost because we were gashed on big plays, missed tackles at key moments, and missed chances to get a key turnover.

I did see slants for the WRs at times Saturday to Becker, Dunstan and Lamirand got in between the linebackers and safeties for 10 catches for 120 yards. Might not be a bad thing to have more plays under center, I agree with you there. Maybe a bit of I-formation with a fullback.

I have to wholeheartedly disagree with you about Nick's playcalling. Sometimes the execution is lacking, but I don't think the playcalling is. The offense averaged 27 pts/game last year and 26 pts/game this year (St. Ed's averaged 26 points as well). Sure, could the Cats have scored more points, yep. But also, this offense had a bunch of injuries:

WR: LaSpina, Michael Morgan, Dunstan missed the Solon game and wasn't 100% after

No excuses, but I'll take Restifo over most other coordinators. I think he takes a lot of undue flak. We didn't lose on Saturday because of the offense. We lost because we were gashed on big plays, missed tackles at key moments, and missed chances to get a key turnover.
I don't disagree with you why the game was lost Saturday.

Mix in the I formation. Please

Do you see this team as title contenders the next few seasons?

Do you see this team as title contenders the next few seasons?
I think so, based on the way Pfaff and Lenehan played this year, especially late. 7 starters on offense returning and 6 kids who started at least 1 game on defense this season:
QB: Pfaff
RB: Lenehan
OL: Montgomery, Ryland, Keane, Witalis
WR: Bodamer
DL: Wasinski, Chalhoub
LB: Berger, Aerni (Palinski also mixed in this year)
DB: Taliak, Lair (Webster mixed in at CB)

we think the play calling is awesome, 0 points against us this year. please do not change a thing

I think so, based on the way Pfaff and Lenehan played this year, especially late. 7 starters on offense returning and 6 kids who started at least 1 game on defense this season:
QB: Pfaff
RB: Lenehan
OL: Montgomery, Ryland, Keane, Witalis
WR: Bodamer
DL: Wasinski, Chalhoub
LB: Berger, Aerni (Palinski also mixed in this year)
DB: Taliak, Lair (Webster mixed in at CB)

I would agree there’s the opportunity to be a title contender next season (2021) due to the combination of some good players and a lot of experience returning (more than typical) from the current junior class + some good players from the sophomore/JV team. The record from this season’s freshman team speaks for itself and we’ll have to see if there will be a couple of kids that could be a stand-out, but it’d be beyond next season.

In addition to the ones you mention, there are several others who gained some experience via playing time this season and are expected to be contributors:

Current juniors:
RB: Waldron
TE: Ward (played in the 2 tight end sets)
WR: Tompkins

Current sophomores to note (besides Palinski at LB and Webster at DB):
DL: Robinson and Gibbons
DB: Favazzo - split time as a starter between DB and RB on the JVs. Considering that Lenehan and Waldron would be ahead of him on the RB depth chart, perhaps he could start as a DB.

Lenehan demonstrated he is a playmaker. The Cats need someone to stand out at WR.

If Pfaff continues as the #1 QB, then the coaches need to identify where Jaxon French can play as a starter. He has size, skills and ability that should not be sitting on the bench. Likewise, if French regains the #1 QB spot, can Pfaff play WR?

Nothing add to the debate on offensive play calling. However, there does need to be some thought about how to better defend the offenses that St X and Medina present. Ignatius (and Ed’s) struggled against such offenses and those are 2 teams that are title contenders next year.

For next season, there’s the typical St. Ed’s and Mentor challenges (and in 2 years, the current Ed’s freshmen will be making their mark). St X and Medina bring back a lot of starters and experience, along with D1 college QBs that sets them apart. Pick Central is the central Ohio team that reloads every year with D1 & D2 college talent.

I see the window being primarily next season and next season will be challenging.

Much also depends on the schedule. If it is filled with the Don Boscos and east coast teams, it will be another long year. However, if the schedule allows for team development, then things should be fine. But, to put them through a schedule like the one they were supposed to have this year is a disservice to the players and coaches.

Much also depends on the schedule. If it is filled with the Don Boscos and east coast teams, it will be another long year. However, if the schedule allows for team development, then things should be fine. But, to put them through a schedule like the one they were supposed to have this year is a disservice to the players and coaches.
Agree.

I also believe that although Pfaff played well, French has more upside. I think it's mental with him right now.

I would welcome Benedictine. This isn't the Ignatius program of years ago. I don't see a huge separation between the 2 teams.

I would welcome Benedictine. This isn't the Ignatius program of years ago. I don't see a huge separation between the 2 teams.

This.

But it is mostly about Benny currently being shunned by the former NCL teams leaving them with very limited options in weeks 5-10. So here are their options>

1) Fire up the coach bus and travel around Ohio playing the Columbus Hartley & Toledo Central Catholic type teams. Probably the best option on the field but $s in the long run is an issue because it's not like these teams fill the stands to help off set the cost and help fund the Athletic Department.

2) Play the old school legacy programs like Massillon, WGH, Steubenville, etc... on the road every year and get paid well to travel. We have had some sour experience in these places so I am not sure this is a long term solution.

3) There are public school leagues that have a rolling open date due to an odd number of teams and the current AD has leveraged his relationships at the Suburban League to get these games scheduled but not all have the appetite for a Benny and that can go away quickly if they add the extra team.

4) Scrounge locally and fill holes with anything you can get. This may lead to a schedule with the likes of an Iggy followed by Cleveland Central Catholic, not the way to insure Harbin points by any means.

That was the offical name for the game, but everyone at Ignatius called it the Turkey Bowl. The game was played at 11:00 Thankgiving morning, and after the game everyone went home or to their relatives for Thanksgiving dinner.

Well you have 5 games now so that's no longer an excuse. And it would help them now that they are improving

Also a D2 WGH is hardly what they used to be. And highland is a step down big time. Heights is a marginal playoff team. None are big challenges nowadays

Harding was very good this year. Could’ve been even better if “ego” didn’t get in the way, but that’s the way they do things in Warren nowadays??‍♂️ Would’ve loved to see them play Medina this year though.

Mentor will get a nice glimpse of Warren’s full stock of talent this basketball season. The game is in Warren, so if fans are allowed, hopefully you can make it down.

A Blast from the Not so Distant Past. In the third quarter of today's Boston College-Louisville game, the BC quarerback went down with a leg injury in a very close game. Who replaced him? None other Dennis Grosel. The first series featured Grosel taking off on a deliberate run. He went for a 44 yard run, which the announcers jokingly said took 44 seconds off the clock. Later in the fourth quarter he threw two TD passes to lead BC to 34-27 victory.

Last edited:
That was the official name for the game, but everyone at Ignatius called it the Turkey Bowl. The game was played at 11:00 Thankgiving morning, and after the game everyone went home or to their relatives for Thanksgiving dinner.
Hey, Hey, whaddya say, we'll be there on turkey day!! And the day after, those of us in the band, donned the freshmen uniforms and headed over to Brookside Park for the annual band game.

I realize that this is probably of interest only to me since I'm a BC grad, but in a losing effort Dennis Grosel passed for 4 tds and 520 yards, which is significant beacsue it tied the BC record for yards passing held by Doug Flutie.
He also holds the Ignatius single game passing record, which seems odd because he's pretty much forgotten among the QBs of note at Wildcat High.

He also holds the Ignatius single game passing record, which seems odd because he's pretty much forgotten among the QBs of note at Wildcat High.

The 2014 and 15 teams were pretty weak overall, but Grosel was productive. Those two teams had very little running game and were extremely porous on defense (last two teams before Zinger took over the D). I always thought Grosel was a bit of a gunslinger. Nice arm, and played with a lot of heart, but a little careless with the ball at times.

He did have three interceptions today, but two were jumpballs in the endzone where the VA defenders were taller than the BC receivers. But you have to admire what he has done as a walk-on. I think he has two more years of eligibility left, so may he graduate from BC with a BA, a MBA, and a year of law school. And I agree with you that he is a gunslinger at heart.