2020 St. Ignatius Football

It's not true. We won region 1 last year and played region 3 winner pc. Springfield from r2 played elder from r4. If liberty wins it will be region 1 vs 2
I understand that last year was different— I was told that “this year is different”... apparently there IS a published bracket.

I understand that last year was different— I was told that “this year is different”... apparently there IS a published bracket.
Well that logically doesn't make sense. It would be the same region 2 and 3 champ

Then again I thought last year didn't make sense to rebracket so who knows with the ohsaa

Did these teams run out of gas? WGH beat Ignatius, Eds, Mentor, and Massillon to make the final. Reminiscent of the draw that Medina is facing.
No, but four of them did go on to the championship game. Glenville should have in ‘04 as well. They were loaded. Really wanted to see them against that legendary Colerain team.

Region 1 has always been a grind (especially old Region 1, with Glenville, Warren Harding, Boardman, AF, Strongsville & Solon at their heights, etc.), so I can definitely see teams getting tired or banged up, or having letdowns next game, etc. I think it also speaks to the weird inability for the other non-Edward/Ignatius Region 1 teams to break through. What was the last Region 1 state champion other than those two? Warren Harding in 1990? There have been several teams that could have (really, should have) won, many that are on EagleFan's list and many that aren't. Hopefully Mentor or Medina can do it this year.

For example, after our losses to them in the playoffs, I thought for sure Mentor would win in 2012 and Glenville in 2009.

I am still confident that Mentor will win one soon enough though.

Region 1 has always been a grind (especially old Region 1, with Glenville, Warren Harding, Boardman, AF, Strongsville & Solon at their heights, etc.), so I can definitely see teams getting tired or banged up, or having letdowns next game, etc. I think it also speaks to the weird inability for the other non-Edward/Ignatius Region 1 teams to break through. What was the last Region 1 state champion other than those two? Warren Harding in 1990? There have been several teams that could have (really, should have) won, many that are on EagleFan's list and many that aren't. Hopefully Mentor or Medina can do it this year.

For example, after our losses to them in the playoffs, I thought for sure Mentor would win in 2012 and Glenville in 2009.

I am still confident that Mentor will win one soon enough though.
You saw something in 2012 we didn't see then. Because that might have been the worst defense mentor has ever had . At least with their good teams

The thing about both Medina and Mentor is that they both have D1 college QBs, which makes it no big surprise either are in the regional finals.

With that, X also has a D1 QB (and a ton of talent on top of that). Not sure about the others, but overall i'll say that anybody left with a great QB, at least has a shot, especially since nobody at this point is only here just because a QB.

X is the favorite. Pick Central is the biggest, baddest public. But doesn't mean either can't be beat at this point.

Reactions: 4GX
Well if you beat Eds and Ignatius in the same playoff year , it's obvious you are good. Plus region 2 has been the weakest region in the last 20 years in d1. So this is logical

But I don't think iggy and eds are their usual standard this year. Mentor is good but this is probably our 10th or 11th best team in the last 19 years too.

Game next week is a toss up.
Agree with you, but the slide continues.

No way this team makes the playoffs in a normal year.

Didn't make it last season.

The injuries were bad but the schemes on offense were awful.

What happens to Jaxon French? He transferred to Ignatius and now it looks like Pfaff will be the starter next year. I think it should be wide open, but I doubt that happens.

There is now no reason that team such as Medina and Brunswick can't schedule Ignatius.

I won't speak for Brunswick. But Medina has Wadworth as an annual non-conference game. For Medina, that had left two openings. This year one was supposed to be Warren Harding, so not like Medina was ducking. In the past, Highland (which is still alive in D2 and a neighboring school) has also been on the schedule. So, where has that left Medina? Maybe one game (which had been a Cleveland Heights, which has at least been a playoff caliber team).

But for sure, I'd love to see either or both Ed's or Ignatius on the schedule (in basketball Ed's is coming to Medina this year) ... I'm sure Iggy/Medina would be easy to make happen as well in hoops.

I won't speak for Brunswick. But Medina has Wadworth as an annual non-conference game. For Medina, that had left two openings. This year one was supposed to be Warren Harding, so not like Medina was ducking. In the past, Highland (which is still alive in D2 and a neighboring school) has also been on the schedule. So, where has that left Medina? Maybe one game (which had been a Cleveland Heights, which has at least been a playoff caliber team).

But for sure, I'd love to see either or both Ed's or Ignatius on the schedule (in basketball Ed's is coming to Medina this year) ... I'm sure Iggy/Medina would be easy to make happen as well in hoops.
Well you have 5 games now so that's no longer an excuse. And it would help them now that they are improving

Also a D2 WGH is hardly what they used to be. And highland is a step down big time. Heights is a marginal playoff team. None are big challenges nowadays

Yes, next year is five. But up until this year, used to be two (Wadsworth-Medina will happen every single normal year.).... then, one if Highland wants on (credit to Highland for that recently and no way Medina turns that down).

Those are good teams when stacked onto a GCC schedule. ... and Heights hasnt been a horrible addition.

Moving forward, and its still "only" four openings due to Wadsworth, id be all for whoever to fill out the Medina schedule.

Yes, next year is five. But up until this year, used to be two (Wadsworth-Medina will happen every single normal year.).... then, one if Highland wants on (credit to Highland for that recently and no way Medina turns that down).

Those are good teams when stacked onto a GCC schedule. ... and Heights hasnt been a horrible addition.

Moving forward, and its still "only" four openings due to Wadsworth, id be all for whoever to fill out the Medina schedule.
I'm showing Wadsworth , Avon , Stow, warren harding and lorain so that doesn't look like they'll schedule up which again would help them .

Lorain is listed as oct 15 though so that has to be wrong. The GCC will be out of conference the first 5 weeks then in conference weeks 6-10

If I were Medina I'd try to play Ignatius especially with your team being good the next few years

I knew the four outside Lorain. Since this is an Iggy thread (not that my say means anything), let's trade them for Ignatius. I'd be more than happy with that.

12 make the playoffs, right? Make it happen.

Kyle was classy and gracious with his post game comments as usual.

Really wonder what the next few years are going to be like for the Cats.

Kyle was classy and gracious with his post game comments as usual.

Really wonder what the next few years are going to be like for the Cats.
What do you prescribe as the remedy to the atrophy that you perceive?

Can Ig return to former levels of achievement under Kyle?

Maybe I'm crazy, but my prediction for the future:

2020: Wildcats make a run for the state championship. This junior class and the upcoming sophomore class are pretty darn good.
After the 2020 season: Chico retires.
2021: Franzinger assumes the reins of the program.

2020: Wildcats make a run for the state championship. This junior class and the upcoming sophomore class are pretty darn good.

Assume you mean 2021 and 2022. For next year, playmakers would have to show up and playcalling would need vast improvement

You are clearly seeing things that I don't.

Don't forget that St X returns most of their team as does Eds. (And the Eagles have size and talent coming up)

But I do hope you're right. I really do.

The more I watch, the more I think (other than playmakers), the real issue is fresh blood and thinking is needed at the playcaller position. I could be wrong, but it sure feels like things were a bit better when Grbac was around as QB coach and assuredly had some playcalling influence

The more I watch, the more I think (other than playmakers), the real issue is fresh blood and thinking is needed at the playcaller position. I could be wrong, but it sure feels like things were a bit better when Grbac was around as QB coach and assuredly had some playcalling influence
Heard he’s available again....

I wonder if they will continue to play this year.

Options if there is mutual agreement

D1
Brunswick (6-3)
Canton McKinley (5-3)
Cin. Elder (5-4)

Stow (5-2) is reported to have had 1 – covid positive and 13 in quarantine - thus their game vs. Steubenville last Friday was cancelled. Their schedule show Wadsworth on 10/30. Maybe 11/6?

D2
Walsh Jesuit (5-2)
Mayfield (5-2)
Painesville Riverside (6-2)

D3
Akron SVSM (5-3)