2020 St. Ignatius Football

Just as we celebrate those wonderful people who made Ignatius a great expereince for so many of us, pershaps we should also celebrate those people at St. Joes who left their mark at the school. From what I inderstand, for example, the Vikings' BB coach has been retired after many memorable years.

For Ignatius fans:

Today marks the final day of class for the school and for many long-time faculty members who go into retirement. Many thanks for all of the great years of service they have given:

Dale Gabor - languages, former athletic director
Hank Gaughn - phys ed, health, Athletic Trainer
John Cooney - biology, basketball
Brian Becker - math, former Head Coach - basketball and golf
Michael Howard - history
Patricia Kyle - art
Christine Piatak - languages
Fr. Paul Shelton, S.J. - theology, language, cross country, athletic chaplain ( leaving for tertianship)
Mrs. Jennifer Fight - athletics admin. assistant
Dan Baron - theology

Godspeed to all.
Add:

Dan Galla, theology
Tony Antonelli, math and defensive coordinator thru ’98 and during the championship run of the ‘90s

and finally, Tom Pasko – a legendary teacher of many subjects, who taught for 54 years at St. Ignatius

Add:

Dan Galla, theology
Tony Antonelli, math and defensive coordinator thru ’98 and during the championship run of the ‘90s

and finally, Tom Pasko – a legendary teacher of many subjects, who taught for 54 years at St. Ignatius

Antonelli and Pasko will still be teaching part-time.

Are they cleaning house for budget reasons?

I wouldn't call it "cleaning house," since the people retiring are still excellent teachers, who are teaching at the top of their game. For most, the time had come and, with the possibility of extended online learning for the fall, it took away the one thing that kept them in teaching well past the usual retirement age : in-person contact with students. Yes, the school will save money, but they take away a ton of institutional memory.

If you knew what the Ignatius endowment is (about 8 times that of Ed's), you would know that money was certainly not an issue in the retirement of thse fine people.

I wouldn't call it "cleaning house," since the people retiring are still excellent teachers, who are teaching at the top of their game. For most, the time had come and, with the possibility of extended online learning for the fall, it took away the one thing that kept them in teaching well past the usual retirement age : in-person contact with students. Yes, the school will save money, but they take away a ton of institutional memory.

Agree 100%. For most of them, who are over 65 and several being 70 and over, it’s time to enjoy the life of retirement. Having talked with a number of teachers, online learning is challenging for both themselves and students, especially since “cura personalis” that brings out the best in students is so difficult to replicate online. Best wishes to all of those retiring and thanks for your service in educating our sons.

If you knew what the Ignatius endowment is (about 8 times that of Ed's), you would know that money was certainly not an issue in the retirement of thse fine people.

That's kind of irregardless to the question, no? Just because there is more money means Ignatius can't make potentially wise budgetary moves in a time of uncertainty?

Like EaglePride said, pretty sensitive replies to a pretty basic question...

That's kind of irregardless to the question, no? Just because there is more money means Ignatius can't make potentially wise budgetary moves in a time of uncertainty?

Like EaglePride said, pretty sensitive replies to a pretty basic question...

It was the " cleaning house," which has a very negative connotation, because it implies " dead wood." ( The Browns are once again cleaning house). You'd feel the same way had the remark been made about your legendary teachers.

I'm a CPA. I think in terms of financial statements. Cleaning house was really meant in a Salaries sense. Longer teachers make more money. And just messing anyway. Mr Cooney was a St. Edward teacher back in my day. Good guy.

I'm a CPA. I think in terms of financial statements. Cleaning house was really meant in a Salaries sense. Longer teachers make more money. And just messing anyway. Mr Cooney was a St. Edward teacher back in my day. Good guy.

Never thought there was any malice in your remarks.

Private school teachers don’t make crap. No teachers make anywhere close to 60,000 per year even with longevity. Some may exceed this if they coach but as teachers, nowhere near 60,000.

Private school teachers don’t make crap. No teachers make anywhere close to 60,000 per year even with longevity. Some may exceed this if they coach but as teachers, nowhere near 60,000.

Ask your school for its salary schedule. I think you might be surprised.

Getting back to football. Considering the new guidelines put in by the NFHS, if football is played, it would be very difficult to have out- of -state games. Since the schedule includes two teams from Maryland,one from Michigan, and one from Canada,in addition to several in state travel games, this would severely impact the schedule. Only Mentor, St. Edward, Massillon, and Hoban would involve minimum travel. How could such a season be sustained? It really can't. What would you do if you were Rory Fitzpatrick?