2020 St. Edward Football

Can anyone here tell me what happened in that game Ed played against Hoban— how does that 35-0 score happen? Were there any “extenuating circumstances” in that game— or was Hoban really that much better?

I ask because I STILL think Ed probably had one of the top 4 teams in Division I this year— and I don’t think anyone else in Division I would beat Ed 35-0 (but then again, I STILL don’t understand how Ed lost to Medina, either)... I’m just trying to figure out where Hoban would measure up, against Pickerington Central or X?

If I had to offer an excuse for the final score, I'd point to it being just the second game of the year for a St. Edward team breaking in a lot of new players against a veteran and talented Hoban squad. The reality is that Hoban was just a much better team than us, and a team that I would not label an underdog against any D1 team this year. Quite frankly, I think they may be the best team in the state when they are locked in. And they were quite locked in against Ed's, running the ball down our throats and playing smothering defense that came up with 4 turnovers, including a pick 6. While I don't think we see a final score like that if these teams played each other later in the year, I don't see any scenario where Ed's wins that matchup unless Hoban beat themselves.

Reactions: 4GX
If I had to offer an excuse for the final score, I'd point to it being just the second game of the year for a St. Edward team breaking in a lot of new players against a veteran and talented Hoban squad. The reality is that Hoban was just a much better team than us, and a team that I would not label an underdog against any D1 team this year. Quite frankly, I think they may be the best team in the state when they are locked in. And they were quite locked in against Ed's, running the ball down our throats and playing smothering defense that came up with 4 turnovers, including a pick 6. While I don't think we see a final score like that if these teams played each other later in the year, I don't see any scenario where Ed's wins that matchup unless Hoban beat themselves.
And Hoban would have done the same to Ignatius.

Hoban demonstrated to the balance of the Eagles' opponents that the intermediate passing game was going to be a challenge in 2020 for the St. Edward offense and stacked the box to defend the run. Watch the game film and one will see that both Medina ILB's immediately filled gaps at the snap of the ball, they did not hesitate and certainly did not step backwards to defend the pass.

The staff did call a few intermediate to long pass attempts against Medina that were available, but the end result were incompletions. A few converted deep pass attempts would have made a difference in the way the Eagles were defended.

Offensively, Medina "flipped the script" on the Eagles in the 2nd half and ran the ball effectively and controlled the clock.

Pickerington Central has a ton of talent and enjoys very good team speed on O and D. They have built a solid program over the years.

The future holds very good promise for the Eagles on the gridiron. They have returning starters and contributors at many crucial positions on both sides of the ball in 2021 and some very talented classes providing relief in the coming years. Finally, the Eagle's nest is in good hands with this current staff...there is none better in the state of Ohio.

Good luck to both PC and St. X this weekend.

Go Eagles!

Hoban also out-schemed us. Credit to their staff, they identified a weakness in the offense off one game and attacked it. It worked. They saw the passing game struggles, WRs lacking separation, so went cover 0 across the board and brought heavy pressure early and often. That's hard for any team to overcome, especially a young and inexperienced O. I think if Lombardo could have gotten another shot, he would've tried screening them a little more often than the single screen attempt in that game, but you live and you learn. Agree that when Hoban is on, they're the best in the state.

Hoban also out-schemed us. Credit to their staff, they identified a weakness in the offense off one game and attacked it. It worked. They saw the passing game struggles, WRs lacking separation, so went cover 0 across the board and brought heavy pressure early and often. That's hard for any team to overcome, especially a young and inexperienced O. I think if Lombardo could have gotten another shot, he would've tried screening them a little more often than the single screen attempt in that game, but you live and you learn. Agree that when Hoban is on, they're the best in the state.
Now that Ed fans have (presumably) seen the X passing offense in a higher gear (or at least heard the result of the final against PC), how would you handicap a hypothetical X/Hoban matchup (and, oh by the way, would Hoban be likely to be interested in playing X either next year or in future years)?

Hoban most likely wont play them. They lose 20 senior starters on the team. That is why they played St. Ed's. Same situation the last time both teams met. Hoban was poised for a state title run back then but lost 10-7. Give them a few years maybe.

Now that Ed fans have (presumably) seen the X passing offense in a higher gear (or at least heard the result of the final against PC), how would you handicap a hypothetical X/Hoban matchup (and, oh by the way, would Hoban be likely to be interested in playing X either next year or in future years)?
That's a series I'd follow and think they'd do a game.

I want to thank the Ed's faithful. Our team had big expectations coming in...you guys pimp slapping us week 1 was a great lesson for our kids.

It's not enough to be good. You have to be smart. You were we weren't.

Thank you.

Thanks boyblue that was a compliment losing week 1 was the best thing that could have happened.

Best of luck next year hopefully we can do it again next year with fans....

I want to thank the Ed's faithful. Our team had big expectations coming in...you guys pimp slapping us week 1 was a great lesson for our kids.

It's not enough to be good. You have to be smart. You were we weren't.

Thank you.

You're welcome. Let's do it again next year in Lakewood!

Looks like CJ Hankins decommitted from Georgetown and will be heading to Brown University. Not too many schools better than G’Town academically, but that’s one of them. Congrats to CJ!

Congrats to CJ, Tommy, Jaylen and Justin on their selections. CJ in particular was well overdue for an all-state spot after getting snubbed last year, and it was nice to see him get first team recognition. He's on the short list of the best LB's to ever put on the green and gold.

Congrats to CJ, Tommy, Jaylen and Justin on their selections. CJ in particular was well overdue for an all-state spot after getting snubbed last year, and it was nice to see him get first team recognition. He's on the short list of the best LB's to ever put on the green and gold.

CJ was a big reason the team won the state championship in 2018 when he was a sophomore. His play at ILB allowed the Eagles to move D personnel to other roles making the unit more stout as the season progressed. Go Eagles!