2020 St. Edward Football

My thoughts after watching the game on delay and expect no response other than from maybe Ref2010....

1) Does anybody else get more excited watching the special teams play over the offense? They constantly bring the house on every punt / field goal kick. They are so well coached for blocking kicks. Props to the coach.
2) The Castleberry's need to be on the field for every snap. They constantly make plays on defense or special teams. They are the best play makers on this team.
3) Why isn't Minnesota recruit Bixbey playing? The broadcasters mentioned when he comes back what a difference he will make. Nobody is saying why he is out. Is he injured? Disciplinary reasons? What's the deal??

My thoughts after watching the game on delay and expect no response other than from maybe Ref2010....

1) Does anybody else get more excited watching the special teams play over the offense? They constantly bring the house on every punt / field goal kick. They are so well coached for blocking kicks. Props to the coach.
2) The Castleberry's need to be on the field for every snap. They constantly make plays on defense or special teams. They are the best play makers on this team.
3) Why isn't Minnesota recruit Bixbey playing? The broadcasters mentioned when he comes back what a difference he will make. Nobody is saying why he is out. Is he injured? Disciplinary reasons? What's the deal??

1. Special Teams is, and will always be, our weakness. Historically we have been horrible on special teams. Yeah we're bringing the house on punts and kicks, which is good. But when a team that is practically out of the game scores to cut the game to 14 lines up you have to be ready for a surprise onside kick. We weren't ready for it, and Bene jumped on it (literally). That's bad special teams coaching. It's typical St. Ed's.

2. Agreed. The Castleberry's are the best players on the field when they are playing. They should be on the field whenever possible.

3. Not to start a conspiracy theory but at this point why would Bixby play? If his offer is there and he's on good terms with the coaches at Minnesota, is it worth it for him to risk him hurting something worse? I think it's the high school version of Bosa not playing at OSU to get ready for the draft. Maybe there's something else, but I haven't heard anything.

One onside kick gaffe is no reason to kill the special teams. They have otherwise been great all year; blocking kicks, scoring TD's, consistently kicking the ball into the endzone, and hitting FG's that should be made.

No question the Castleberry's are playmakers. Joel in particular has been all over the place this year. I think some nice offers should be coming his way heading into next year. And hopefully that family keeps sending boys our way.

Bixby is injured. Will he play this year in a shortened season and risk re-aggravating it as opposed to healing completely? I don't know. But the kid is only a junior. He's not sitting out two years before going to Minnesota.

As for last nights game, defense, special teams, and the run game once again paved the way. The Eagles had a significant advantage against the Benny d-line and were opening holes bigger than we've seen all year. As much as I was hoping to see a more balanced approach, I can't fault the staff for keeping the ball on the ground. It was nice to see Jackson Miller emerging in the slot. He may have hauled in all of the whopping 5 pass completions last night. He had some drops early in the year and they seemed to go away from him. The hands look improved and he's got the running back skills in the open field. The question of whether we will be able to go to the pass if the run game gets shut down or if we are playing from behind remains unanswered heading into the playoffs. Just have to hope the defense keeps playing at this high level and we never find out.

Speaking of the defense, they continue to generate multiple turnovers and it's almost becoming expected at this point. I thought Calhoun had his best game all year, and he was being held pretty regularly without any calls. Benny has some nice athletes at the skill positions, and I thought their young QB looked pretty good in what I believe may have been his first start. Looked comfortable throwing from in the pocket and out, and threw a pretty accurate ball for the most part. Had a couple picks where he was throwing into tight coverage, but the ball was there for his receivers to have a chance at it. We caught a break on a busted coverage late in the game where the receiver dropped a sure TD. Not sure if it was a cover two look again or what, but Jaylen let his receiver go after ten yards and the safety did not pick him up. If it was cover two, these corners have to be told to funnel the receiver inside to the help. Can't let them get outside down the sidelines. And if there is no threat in the flat, then get more depth to prevent those intermediate throws in front of the safety. Coachable mistakes that we need to get shored up if we continue to give those defensive looks.

1) As you said big props to Special teams Coach. There is always a excitement when they are on the field. Offensively Ramos threw 1 deep pass, and it was completed. There were WR in man at times, we have to take a few more shots, make a little more “exciting”. We see the identity of this team but there is more. When Ramos is out of the pocket we see he has a special ability to make some great plays and throw on the run.

2)Your comments above on 1 and 2 go together when it comes to the Castleberrys. Agree. Pull either one in the game and get them the ball on offense. Even having one of them line up on offense would help this team, but obviously have to get the ball in their hands.

3)It is not in my place to say on Bixby but to address the small piece I know before people start assuming. He is a very hardworking kid and devastated not to be playing. The High School requires students to go to school in person play football. With COVID-19, I was told at this point Bixby has to go online due to a the best interest of his family for medical reasons. That is all I have heard so wish his family best of health.

I understand many people probably want to know but he’s out right now. No one here will know exact details or know exactly when he will be back so I prefer to stick with X and O football. He has a bright future.

Eagle O line looked very solid last evening, even with a starter missing from the lineup. D continues to show weekly improvement. They seem very settled with both their FS and SS and liberally rotate corners (outside of Castleberry) throughout the game. It appears they will have some solid experience in the defensive backfield in 2021.

I think we will see more 2 back sets on O in the playoffs and more intermediate passes to Jackson Miller in the middle of the field.

Special teams continue to play solid football and have not been a handicap this season. Field position will make a difference in the upcoming playoffs.

Eagles definitely have an interesting bracket to contend with in the post season, but should be considered one of the favorites to advance.

Lombardo and staff are doing a terrific job with personnel and scheming for their weekly opponents in 2020.

Go Eagles!

Last edited:
If we (and they) get there, it will be interesting to see our pass defense against Medina. Will we play soft as in 2019, or play for the pick six?

If we (and they) get there, it will be interesting to see our pass defense against Medina. Will we play soft as in 2019, or play for the pick six?
They have to play different than 2019. The DBs across the board are much better this year. Solon held them to 24 last week, with two scores in the 4th quarter. You would think the staff takes a good look at that game and see what worked. Mentor had some luck with shadowing the QB at 1 yard off once he began running often. Qb is running more this season in the two games I have watched than the 2019 playoff game. He looked to drop, check one side of the field and take off so with that, if Eds does not blitz he may have more time which was the case last year. It it easy to Coach from the couch or sidelines but if a team stacked 3 players between the Center and 1 Guard you could win the 3 on 2 matchup easy all night, or force them to shrink their wide splits which would get your DEs a good 3 yards closer because they are real wide on splits. Which is my question, why did Eds, and do teams line up off them. If a Defensive line lines up on their line they have a advantage before the play starts. Until then, one week at a time.

Found this info from OHSAA that indicates the Eagles may be able to do a live stream if Spectrum is not televising our game. "At rates set by OHSAA"

"Spectrum News 1 is the official television partner of the OHSAA and will select several playoff games each weekend to televise live. Only Spectrum can provide live television coverage of OHSAA football playoff games. All other television broadcasts can start at 10:00 p.m. the same day as the game. Live video streaming will be permitted for games not selected by Spectrum News 1 at rates set by the OHSAA, which will be announced Monday, Oct. 5"

Last edited:
Because he loves his teammates and coaches... know he is doing everything possible within his control to hopefully return at some point in the playoffs and would do that in a heartbeat if he could join his teammates.
I’m usually here to read only. Over the past few years I have seen him at the school multiple times out on the field working out, alone. He is a very hardworking young man. Not to mention he showed up in some of the biggest games last year as a Sophomore.

Fans, coaches, teammates, friends and the community need to stop and think he is a 16 year old kid that is hurting worse than anyone probably will ever realize because he cannot be out there with his teammates and coaches.

Now back to GlenOak, what do we know about them?

Playoff Rd 1 vs Canton GlenOak (0-6)

Loss (4-2)Hoover 35-7
Loss (2-4)Louisville 17-14
Loss (2-4)Jackson 22-20
Loss (3-3)Lake 35-0
Loss (4-2)McKinley 26-0
Loss (6-0)Perry 42-0

There is enough to think with this GlenOak team you need to expect a fight. Clark is a athletic QB came back last week back after being sidelined. He will throw 15-25 times, and has the ability to scramble really well. The RB is averaging 100 YPG.

Defensively they have showed moments of being able to stuff the run and play the pass well.

GlenOak has been inconsistent but if they put together a solid complete game Eds will need to be ready. At this point no one can be looked over including GlenOak. They will have tough players and Eds will need to be prepared for trick plays.

Loss (4-2)Hoover 35-7
Loss (2-4)Jackson 22-20
Loss (3-3)Lake 35-0
Loss (4-2)McKinley 26-0
Loss (6-0)Perry 42-0

There is enough to think with this GlenOak team you need to expect a fight. Clark is a athletic QB came back last week back after being sidelined. He will throw 15-25 times, and has the ability to scramble really well. The RB is averaging 100 YPG.

Defensively they have showed moments of being able to stuff the run and play the pass well.

GlenOak has been inconsistent but if they put together a solid complete game Eds will need to be ready. At this point no one can be looked over including GlenOak. They will have tough players and Eds will need to be prepared for trick plays.
Who is clark?

Found this info from OHSAA that indicates the Eagles may be able to do a live stream if Spectrum is not televising our game. "At rates set by OHSAA"

"Spectrum News 1 is the official television partner of the OHSAA and will select several playoff games each weekend to televise live. Only Spectrum can provide live television coverage of OHSAA football playoff games. All other television broadcasts can start at 10:00 p.m. the same day as the game. Live video streaming will be permitted for games not selected by Spectrum News 1 at rates set by the OHSAA, which will be announced Monday, Oct. 5"
Spectrum will also add 9 streamed games only. moving on that could pose a problem so get your 9.99 out for those games.

Loss (4-2)Hoover 35-7
Loss (2-4)Jackson 22-20
Loss (3-3)Lake 35-0
Loss (4-2)McKinley 26-0
Loss (6-0)Perry 42-0

What to say here...... I think you guy’s are gonna get the best game put out by this team yet! Just by playing the “Name” alone will have the kids up for this one! Unfortunately they have been goose egged for their last 3 games. I hope and wish they do put up a good fight for this one! It would be a great confidence booster for next season! I’m guessing a 40-50ish to 7 for the outcome of this one.

Ramos continues to move the offense. I really like the way he carries himself. Down to the 4th qtr greeting the backups off the field after a TD. He is a leader. He also threw many great balls in rythm with a very quick release, also showed great ability to continue to run the read option very well. I thought the staff got him in rhythm early and picked Glen Oak apart. There were a handful of plays that need to be made by the WRs. O Line played very dominant and the run game was very efficient. Watkins with 3 TDS, Danny with 2 and very impressed with the 3rd string back also. If they continue to have no turnovers they will be able to score on any defense.

Defense continues to generate turnovers, now at 12 INTs, 2019 was 4 total, also with a hand full of fumbles. This defense is very physical, flies around and is full of football players that are coached very well. Next week will be a test..

Eds needs to clean up the penalties.

Good win Eagles. Medina next Friday at Lakewood Stadium. Medina will bring in a big recruit at QB, Jr Drew Allar.

The Eagles spread the ball around on O in the 1st half and concentrated on the running game in the 2nd half to enjoy a victory. O line continues its steady play and the D shows improvement weekly. On to Medina in the 2nd round, which poses an interesting challenge. Best way to slow their passing game would be long sustained drives by the Eagles' O.

Go Eagles!

Good to see more guys getting involved on offense. This is about as slow as we've seen Lombo open up the playbook (for obvious reasons), but as always, it's happening at the right time. Ramos connected with Manning multiple times early to move the sticks. He was a guy that looked like a player at the Freshman and JV level but went largely unused/untargeted during this shortened regular season. I really like how Miller is being used in the slot in the pass game and on jet sweeps. The downfield pass game continues to be spotty at best, but Ramos looks far more comfortable making quick reads in the short/intermediate range anyway. Stick with what works. It was his most efficient game as a passer from a completion percentage standpoint. The TE Cook has been MIA recently after being Ramos' most friendly target up the seam and on delayed releases early in the year. I think Lombo may be ready to unleash him again in the coming weeks if opposing D coordinators sleep on him and start to sell out on the run

Defense is peaking at the right time as usual. Two more picks to make it a dozen on the season. Such a deep secondary group that can rotate liberally and play guys in multiple positions. We're starting to see Pappas use the Castleberry's in the same way he used the Nash brothers last year up in the box in a safety/LB hybrid role. Both sound tacklers that can erase plays to the edge. The front seven has been about as sound as you can be against the run. I've been really impressed with the junior Matt Oudeman on the interior. Zyion Brown also coming into his own at LB, making much more consistent reads and arrives with bad intentions.

So with teams being able to play after getting knocked out of the playoffs. Where do you think Saint Ed's will be able to play their next home game. Lakewood has a home game next week. Do you think this will be a problem moving forward not only for st. Ed's but for other teams that don't have home-field. Or say deep playoff runs for neutral sites

So with teams being able to play after getting knocked out of the playoffs. Where do you think Saint Ed's will be able to play their next home game. Lakewood has a home game next week. Do you think this will be a problem moving forward not only for st. Ed's but for other teams that don't have home-field. Or say deep playoff runs for neutral sites

Personally hoping for BW this week, same spot we got Medina last year in the playoffs. Nice facilities and more room than Brooklyn which really limited families last week. Not sure what other options there really are. Would ohsaa allow us to play Saturday given the situation?

Personally hoping for BW this week, same spot we got Medina last year in the playoffs. Nice facilities and more room than Brooklyn which really limited families last week. Not sure what other options there really are. Would ohsaa allow us to play Saturday given the situation?
Other divisions playing on Sat. so one would think if both teams agree that is on the table. After last weeks limited number of fans the school should feel they need a significantly better venue this week. BW would be a fantastic choice.

Berea-Midpark has a home game for that day

Then I'd just wait for Sat night and play at home (assuming that's allowed).. get more parents/families in that way
Game can not be played on Saturday unless host site does not have lights. If the top seeded team does not have a home field or could not find a neutral site, it could go to the opponents field.