2020 St. Edward Football

Eds Freshman hopefully setting the tone for the weekend... just ran all over the Iggy freshman team up at Lakewood stadium, posting a 34-0 shutout. Lot of really good talent on the Eds freshman squad.

Eagles get the shut out on all three levels, not sure that has ever happened before. Last varsity shut out was 1985 for the varsity over the Wildcats, hard to believe Eds has ever pulled the trifecta shut out. And it took a missed field goal by probably the best kicker in Ohio to get this years shut out.

I'm sure it has happened before, we were the dominant team in the 70s but I think the shut outs this year are more due to the Wildcat's lack of game experience this season rather than a harbinger about their program. The St. Ed's freshmen are big and talented but at that level that's all you need to be a great team. The JV's struggle to move the ball, I'm not sure they have figured out what works best for them and they were not as talented of a group coming in, really finding consistency on their o-line needs to be a priority.

Varsity continues to build up from week to week. It looked like there was a bit of a passing game yesterday and they were able to move the ball well when they had to. St. Ed's made more plays than St. Ignatius, I don't think it was because we were more talented either. Clearly the Ignatius offense was limited by experience and trusting the players they do have. The fumbles can get fixed. They wasted scoring opportunities all night with turnovers. As they polish up their offense, they will be a tough team to beat in the playoffs.

The biggest key as the Eagles move forward will be Ramos' development. Seeing Goddard on the drag when he rolls out or throwing the ball away rather than taking the sack, being able to step up in the pocket and see Jackson Miller underneath instead of tucking it and running it. He has proven he's athletic enough to be a threat running and he has the arm to throw, it's just putting the balance together and seeing what works best against what opponent. I would love to see us use the tight end more but that's been over the past several years, the seam route is open a lot though and we found it for a TD last night.

I'm sure it has happened before, we were the dominant team in the 70s but I think the shut outs this year are more due to the Wildcat's lack of game experience this season rather than a harbinger about their program. The St. Ed's freshmen are big and talented but at that level that's all you need to be a great team. The JV's struggle to move the ball, I'm not sure they have figured out what works best for them and they were not as talented of a group coming in, really finding consistency on their o-line needs to be a priority.

Varsity continues to build up from week to week. It looked like there was a bit of a passing game yesterday and they were able to move the ball well when they had to. St. Ed's made more plays than St. Ignatius, I don't think it was because we were more talented either. Clearly the Ignatius offense was limited by experience and trusting the players they do have. The fumbles can get fixed. They wasted scoring opportunities all night with turnovers. As they polish up their offense, they will be a tough team to beat in the playoffs.

The biggest key as the Eagles move forward will be Ramos' development. Seeing Goddard on the drag when he rolls out or throwing the ball away rather than taking the sack, being able to step up in the pocket and see Jackson Miller underneath instead of tucking it and running it. He has proven he's athletic enough to be a threat running and he has the arm to throw, it's just putting the balance together and seeing what works best against what opponent. I would love to see us use the tight end more but that's been over the past several years, the seam route is open a lot though and we found it for a TD last night.

Good summary. Ignatius certainly has the size on the O-line to be effective and I thought French showed real promise. He appears to be a greater threat outside the tackle box than as a pure pocket QB where he can make plays with his arm or legs. The Wildcat D is solid.

The Eagle D continues to make scheme and personnel changes that have improved their performance the past two weeks. Run D will be challenged against Benedictine. Offensively they need to continue to find continuity in the intermediate passing game. This is a run by committee O this year versus having a dedicated RB that has been featured. Ramos shows improvement W-O-W and I like his ball fakes and his ability to use his legs to advance the chains. But to avoid the Hoban like approach of stacking the box on D to stop the run, they need to throw the ball enough to allow Lombardo and staff to keep opposing D's off balance.

Always nice to beat Ignatius and a shut out weekend at all levels is even better.

Go Eagles!

Eagles get the shut out on all three levels, not sure that has ever happened before.
Varsity has shut out the Golden Tornado six times over the years. It's probably a longshot that the Eagles have pulled the trifecta before The last year the Eagles shut them out (1985), the JV Eagles lost.

1971: St. Edward 24 St. Ignatius 0
1976: St. Edward 2 St Ignatius 0
1980: St. Edward 11 St. Ignatius 0
1984: St. Edward 10 St. Ignatius 0
1985: St. Edward 12 St. Ignatius 0
2020: St. Edward 17 St. Ignatius 0

Ignatius has also shut the Eagles out 6 times (89-90-92-00-08-09)

All this short football year I have trashed Mr. Ramos. Please acccept this as an apology. He clearly was the star of the game. I had expected at least two interceptions from him. The one he did throw placed Ignatius on its one yard line, better than a punt. I wish him well the remainder of the year.

It is the first 3-game winning streak for the Eagles over the Cats since 80-81-82. The Eagles had a 8 game winning streak from 71-78. That is the longest streak by either team.

Suprisingly, the Wildcats longest streak over the Eagles is just 4, but they accomplished that 4 times, including 2016-18.

I was able to do a little research to see if there were other years there was a trifecta shut out and I can confirm that the only season that MAY have had the triple shut out would be 1980. I went through the 1981 yearbook and the well written article was only about the varsity team and did not include the FR or JV scores.

It is the first 3-game winning streak for the Eagles over the Cats since 80-81-82. The Eagles had a 8 game winning streak from 71-78. That is the longest streak by either team.

Suprisingly, the Wildcats longest streak over the Eagles is just 4, but they accomplished that 4 times, including 2016-18.

I'm surprised Ignatius only has 4 at the most on a winning streak. Between their dominance in the late 80s and through the 90s and the early edge they had in the 50s, I would have thought they would have had 5 or more at one time. If we played in the 60s, I think it would have probably happened!

From memory:

The freshmen Cats didn't come close to scoring

JV Cats might have had one opportunity.

Varsity a few.

The Eagles defense on all levels, specifically at the point of attack, was a huge difference.

The Eagles are down. Not at the level we have seen them for the majority of the previous decade. And yet, they are 3-1 against the most difficult schedule of any team in Ohio so far. It is probably one of the most grueling first four of any team in the country.

The Eagles are down. Not at the level we have seen them for the majority of the previous decade. And yet, they are 3-1 against the most difficult schedule of any team in Ohio so far. It is probably one of the most grueling first four of any team in the country.

A little reprieve this week with Bishop Sycamore, and then finish with a very tough Benedictine team before the playoffs. Will be very interesting to see how the seeding works out. If Ed’s wins out, you’d think they’d be a pretty safe bet for the 1 seed. Mentor would be the likely 2. What happens if Ignatius loses out in tight games with Massillon and X? The Bishop win doesn’t count (at least from a harbin perspective). Would we see the rest of the field voting the Cats the 15 or 16, pitting them against Ed’s or Mentor in round one, or do the top seeds get byes this year? There is certainly going to be some gamesmanship with the voting.

A little reprieve this week with Bishop Sycamore, and then finish with a very tough Benedictine team before the playoffs. Will be very interesting to see how the seeding works out. If Ed’s wins out, you’d think they’d be a pretty safe bet for the 1 seed. Mentor would be the likely 2. What happens if Ignatius loses out in tight games with Massillon and X? The Bishop win doesn’t count (at least from a harbin perspective). Would we see the rest of the field voting the Cats the 15 or 16, pitting them against Ed’s or Mentor in round one, or do the top seeds get byes this year? There is certainly going to be some gamesmanship with the voting.

The vote will take place before Week 6. St Eds will be the #1 seed unless there is a conspiracy or "gamesmanship."

The bottom 2 teams in D1R3 and D1R4 will have play in games in week 7, all other D1 teams will have a week 7 bye and can schedule games or scrimmages for that week. I'm sure there will be a few that will vote strictly by theoretical Harbin points, but I think many will factor in the special circumstances of this season and vote more by area rankings. I don't know how you could vote to seed Iggy behind someone like Elyria or Canton GlenOak in good conscious

Don't know how much can be taken from yesterday's game. Thanks to the defense, the offense pretty much set up camp inside Bishop's 15 yard line for much of the first half. Thanks to that, it was running clock mode for the entire second half and the substitutions were liberal. I saw this game as an opportunity to get the passing game going. Lombardo did give Ramos a handful of opportunities early on, the first of which was an errant pass to a wide open Goodall, but the next few (also to Goodall) hit the mark. Still not confident that we'll be able to move the chains consistently through the air if our run game gets shut down. The few drives where we actually had to work with a full field against Bishop were not successful. The line had problems opening up holes against their massive defensive front, and if Ramos' first read was not there then it turned into backyard football. Also not a fan of the shotgun with a single back in goal line situations. Gives the opposing defense too much time to penetrate. If Ramos is under center on the one he is getting in there.

Only concern I saw on defense was when we were in a cover two look. The corners were not getting a jam before they dropped into their curl/flat zone and the Bishop receivers were getting wide open behind the corner and in front of the safety. A better team would have exploited that.

Still a lot to improve on heading into the Benedictine game, who should be hungry after an embarrassing effort against Fitch.

Eagles get a nice respite after four four tough games in a row. It's great a lot of kids had a chance to play, you always need a couple of these games on your schedule, unfortunately this year only one, but the first play off game could be one like this.

Next week will be interesting, I think Eds is he better team right now, let's see how they play. A solid victory will be good momentum for the play-offs. I have lot's of confidence in the staff as they continue to bring the team along. Seeding for the play-offs will be interesting.

Not much to say about the win other than the Eagles enjoyed an opportunity to get more work in and appeared to come away healthy. The Benedictine game should be a very good contest.

Go Eagles!

Will be interesting to see how the seed work out for R1. Anyone know when they will be released? I'm assuming Thursday.

Still not confident that we'll be able to move the chains consistently through the air if our run game gets shut down.

And that's the great mystery of this year's team. At some point, we will have to throw. Its inevitable. Ignatius will go from 7 to 10 in the box next time if we don't show we can convert some basic passing plays. Let's hope they continue to work on passing before the inevitable rematch.

Also not a fan of the shotgun with a single back in goal line situations. Gives the opposing defense too much time to penetrate. If Ramos is under center on the one he is getting in their.

I'd love to see us use a one (or even two) TE set with Ramos under center down close, but I guess that's a lot for kids to absorb in this limited practice/play year. Still, they might be able to put one or two plays in with that. I agree with your assessment.

Only concern I saw on defense was when we were in a cover two look. The corners were not getting a jam before they dropped into their curl/flat zone and the Bishop receivers were getting wide open behind the corner and in front of the safety. A better team would have exploited that.

Excellent comment. Unfortunately, In recent years, I've felt Eds has been vulnerable to that over the middle/sideline pass. It's only covered up for when they bring heavy pressure and get to the QB. Thankfully, they do like to bring pressure, so they're not always exposed, but those easy passes are completed in critical situations and keep our defense on the field. The worst example was the Medina playoff game last year where our pass defense made the Bees look like the KC Chiefs. For some reason, we rarely seem to play to our strength which should be to go right up on the line and bump and run with opposing WRs and take them out of their comfort zone. For years we've let marginal Ignatius WRs run unimpeded to open spots on the field and catch first downs. Cudos to those Iggy WRs, but I'd like to see us go student on student and still bring the pressure. Make them have to make a perfect play. Its death by a thousand cuts or death by the big play. I think our secondary can stop the big play if we just let them play. I'm sure the coaches know better than me, but it sure is frustrating watching our guys watching the other teams guys catch easy passes because we're not pressing them.

Last edited:
I like the two back offensive set the Eagles have shown this year. It provides more options and it seems to work well so far. I think Jackson Miller can be used more efficiently on O. In the slot, he can be used to provide greater presence in the intermediate passing game just as a TE might.

Go Eagles!

Not much to say about the win other than the Eagles enjoyed an opportunity to get more work in and appeared to come away healthy. The Benedictine game should be a very good contest.

Go Eagles!
I’d like to see a competitive game. But our QB is done. Not feeling good about it.

Thoughts on the R1 seeding?

Personally, I think it could be quite challenging from the second round on if the seeds hold. The Medina offense gave us fits at many times last year with the wide-open approach. Allar is a top notch signal caller with another year under his belt. I do think our secondary may in fact be better than last year, and Pappas will come in knowing what worked and what didn't from last year. Still, that game looks intriguing. Then the winner of the Euclid/Iggy game awaits in the third round. I still think the Wildcats have what it takes to advance to that point, and all bets would be off in a Holy War rematch. The Ignatius offense will presumably have taken significant strides at that point, and their defense is still top notch. Mentor will almost certainly be coming out of the bottom half of the bracket with how the seeding played out, and we know what they're capable of.

But of course, who knows exactly how this will play out this year. The teams at the top are all the same, but are also all a notch (or more) below where they were last year. Add in the decrease in reps from the shortened season and we could be in for some spoilers. Looking forward to it.

Thoughts on the R1 seeding?

Personally, I think it could be quite challenging from the second round on if the seeds hold. The Medina offense gave us fits at many times last year with the wide-open approach. Allar is a top notch signal caller with another year under his belt. I do think our secondary may in fact be better than last year, and Pappas will come in knowing what worked and what didn't from last year. Still, that game looks intriguing. Then the winner of the Euclid/Iggy game awaits in the third round. I still think the Wildcats have what it takes to advance to that point, and all bets would be off in a Holy War rematch. The Ignatius offense will presumably have taken significant strides at that point, and their defense is still top notch. Mentor will almost certainly be coming out of the bottom half of the bracket with how the seeding played out, and we know what they're capable of.

But of course, who knows exactly how this will play out this year. The teams at the top are all the same, but are also all a notch (or more) below where they were last year. Add in the decrease in reps from the shortened season and we could be in for some spoilers. Looking forward to it.

The Eagles certainly enjoy an interesting bracket of opponents.

Go Eagles!

Lombardo knows what he has at this point. Eds will have to have a few players going both ways by the Ignatius rematch. You would have to think at this point if you want to make a deep run(which they can) the offense needs another playmaker. Between the Castleberry boys you have a few elite options. There is a clear lack of weapons or any threats opposite of Goodall and the running game. Ramos with WRs that can create space will be very hard for any team to stop consistently, mixed in with the run game. I am very impressed by his ability to throw on the run. This may also take pressure off of having to carry the ball 20 times a game down the stretch and keep defenses honest.

Defensively they are playing good as a unit. This defense flies around more than any team I’ve seen since 2015. The last 3 games they have had a boatload of turnovers, held all offenses under 50 yards rushing and 200 passing. The staff will not let them look over GlenOak. Onto Medina the QB reads quick and makes his throw, or takes off running right away. He hurt Mentor on the ground just as much as he did in the air. It is virtually impossible to sack him. Mentor had success with having a DE Vernon shadowing him in the middle of the line, or a backer 3 yards off. They seemed to get away from it and rush all four and drop both backers, he made them pay. Eds DBs looked better vs Mentor than they have in years so that will help.

In summary Eds can win the Region and a State Championship if they add a playmaker, if they DO NOT turn the ball over, and continue to fly around on defense.

You should go to Mass Twice this weekend if you are a St Ed’s Fan.
We really need to get instant replay in High School Football.
Watching the game tonight it’s so sad to see such one sided officiating.
Missed calls after Missed Calls. You have a Great program at Ed’s but
The Bengals deserve at least a fairly called game.Get to Mass in the morning.

You should go to Mass Twice this weekend if you are a St Ed’s Fan.
We really need to get instant replay in High School Football.
Watching the game tonight it’s so sad to see such one sided officiating.
Missed calls after Missed Calls. You have a Great program at Ed’s but
The Bengals deserve at least a fairly called game.Get to Mass in the morning.
What in the world were you watching. The penalty margin was lopsided. St. Edward had 7 MORE penalties. Eds recovered a fumble that was called after officials got together and signaled Eds, then reversed the call and gave Benedictine that ball back, saying the WR did not have possession (remember, after they got together and signaled Eds) That was not even the worst one, Eds DB thought a player had the ball, made a tackle BEFORE the whistle blew and was flagged for a personal foul. That was one of the worst call I have seen, penalizing a kid for playing thru the whistle, a hustle play. Benedictine had a huge advantage, officials were horrible towards Eds.

Last edited: