2020 St. Edward Football

Breaking news. Walsh along with Cleveland Hts will now be St Edward JV and Freshman teams in 2020.
Why do these players continues to transfer? It is as if they think they will miraculously will be amazing by transferring from a top Academic and Athletic school to get on the field at other High Schools. Coaches are very tough, but that is a big part of why St. Edward wins consistently. I just cannot fathom this concept for a back-up HS athlete. Is there something I am missing?
I was confused by your second sentence. Walsh long with... (what do you mean there?).Then I wasn't sure what you were talking about players transferring? Not to be a pain, I'm just trying to understand because I am somewhat confused and would like to understand. Thanks.

I was confused by your second sentence. Walsh long with... (what do you mean there?).Then I wasn't sure what you were talking about players transferring? Not to be a pain, I'm just trying to understand because I am somewhat confused and would like to understand. Thanks.
I was told 5 players have transferred to Cleveland Heights this year. 2 other players have transferred to Walsh. In total that is around 8 that have transferred to Cleveland Heights in the past few years.

I was told 5 players have transferred to Cleveland Heights this year. 2 other players have transferred to Walsh. In total that is around 8 that have transferred to Cleveland Heights in the past few years.
I got it. Thanks for clearing that up. I'm guessing that because schools and parents are anticipating much of the school year to be virtual. So why pay the big bucks for virtual at a private school. That's my guess regarding a decision like that. I had to edit this because I reread it and see that you said in the last few years. So my theory is wrong. Well that is the beauty of having choices I guess.

Defections from the program, while more commonplace in today’s transfer-happy climate, have been a fact of life for years. Most take place after freshman or sophomore year when the writing is on the wall. Much less so in the upper class years. Can’t fault a guy (or their family) for wanting to get meaningful minutes somewhere. Playing sports is a big part of the high school experience, and most will never do so again (especially tackle football). We can’t expect everyone to be content (and fork over their dollars) to just be a part of a successful program.

Defections from the program, while more commonplace in today’s transfer-happy climate, have been a fact of life for years. Most take place after freshman or sophomore year when the writing is on the wall. Much less so in the upper class years. Can’t fault a guy (or their family) for wanting to get meaningful minutes somewhere. Playing sports is a big part of the high school experience, and most will never do so again (especially tackle football). We can’t expect everyone to be content (and fork over their dollars) to just be a part of a successful program.
That also makes sense to me. And some may realize that they are out of their league educationally as well.

How many starters will St. Ed's have back this year and do any St.Ed's wrestlers play football besides the 220?

How many starters will St. Ed's have back this year and do any St.Ed's wrestlers play football besides the 220?

Full time starters or guys that started at least a few games include: CJ Hankins (LB), Trey Bixby (DE), Thomas Aden (OG/DT), Caden Casto (DT), Jaylen Castleberry (CB), and Chris Moran (OG).

As for the wrestlers, I believe the only gold team guys that play football are Rios and Robinson. There may be a number of green team guys that also play football, but not sure off the top of my head.

Full time starters or guys that started at least a few games include: CJ Hankins (LB), Trey Bixby (DE), Thomas Aden (OG/DT), Caden Casto (DT), Jaylen Castleberry (CB), and Chris Moran (OG).

As for the wrestlers, I believe the only gold team guys that play football are Rios and Robinson. There may be a number of green team guys that also play football, but not sure off the top of my head.

Ok, thanks Eagle Pride01.

Drove by Lakewood Stadium today, looks like they've put in new field turf. I know the state of the turf last year was abysmal. I hope that this is the first step in addressing a number of needs. I love the "Madhouse on Madison" but a new scoreboard with video capabilities would be nice as well as the bleachers. With Lakewood completing a few years ago a decade long school transformation plan I wonder if they will address these other facilities?

While reading on another topic, I came across this, which should be fun. In the spirit of neutrality, I'll post it in both threads.

Saints Square Off
Definitely one of my favorite articles and a nice glimpse to see how much has changed since 1993. I always found it interesting that this article came before the greatest game in the rivalry, the 35-34 3OT win for St. Ignatius. The quotes from alumni show the context. For example, I'm not sure how many graduates from St. Ed's after 2000 would really know who Phil Donahue is and since the late 80s through 90s run of dominance the Wildcats had, I'm not sure anyone would describe it as a "wholesome rivalry." Not that it is a nasty one either, I just think both schools have seen that they are two sides of the same coin in so many ways and having one another makes them better.

In 1993, Ed's being a football powerhouse was still very much in the mindsets of its graduates although the writing had been on the wall since the mid 1980s that there would be a decline when you look back at it. Ignatius had also won four state championships in I think 5 years at that point. A mix of having the market cornered on football recruiting (I know its a dirty word but I think most of the best CYO kids were going to St. Ignatius during that time), demographic shifts, and Kyle using what at the time was a pretty innovative offense or at least having a different offensive philosophy. They would go on to dominate through the 90s both the state and the rivalry.

Back to the article, it was a lot of fun that sheds a lot of light on what makes the rivalry a great one. They are both catholic schools that traditionally and currently pull most of their students from the same areas. That geographic reach has widened and both schools are in the game when it comes to attracting students. Both schools are excellent educationally, athletically and offer plenty of opportunities for students to succeed outside of sports and academics. Both have a strong alumni base and can point to several famous and successful alums locally and around the country.

Last edited:

Final one from me today I promise. Just saw this. In the article it talks about some other things the Lakewood school district is planning. I wonder if St. Ed's would consider partnering with them on football stadium improvements like St. Ignatius did in Parma? Next school year is not the time to talk about it but planning for something like that could begin.

Definitely one of my favorite articles and a nice glimpse to see how much has changed since 1993. I always found it interesting that this article came before the greatest game in the rivalry, the 35-34 3OT win for St. Ignatius. The quotes from alumni show the context. For example, I'm not sure how many graduates from St. Ed's after 2000 would really know who Phil Donahue is and since the late 80s through 90s run of dominance the Wildcats had, I'm not sure anyone would describe it as a "wholesome rivalry." Not that it is a nasty one either, I just think both schools have seen that they are two sides of the same coin in so many ways and having one another makes them better.

In 1993, Ed's being a football powerhouse was still very much in the mindsets of its graduates although the writing had been on the wall since the mid 1980s that there would be a decline when you look back at it. Ignatius had also won four state championships in I think 5 years at that point. A mix of having the market cornered on football recruiting (I know its a dirty word but I think most of the best CYO kids were going to St. Ignatius during that time", demographic shifts, and Kyle using what at the time was a pretty innovative offense or at least having a different offensive philosophy. They would go on to dominate through the 90s both the state and the rivalry.

Back to the article, it was a lot of fun that sheds a lot of light on what makes the rivalry a great one. They are both catholic schools that traditionally and currently pull most of their students from the same areas. That geographic reach has widened and both schools are in the game when it comes to attracting students. Both schools are excellent educationally, athletically and offer plenty of opportunities for students to succeed outside of sports and academics. Both have a strong alumni base and can point to several famous and successful alums locally and around the country.

The respective tuitions back in '93 caught my eye - compared to today!
Also, the enrollment at both schools is higher today than in '93.
Higher enrollment even with the current demographics of this area and the ~4x higher tuition shows that families value the education and experience that both schools provide their young men.

I think until there is more information out about schools returning, all aspects of a school are in a holding pattern.

Anyone hearing anything as to the viability of the out-of-state games this upcoming season?

Matt Goul posted on twitter that the DC high school sports governing authority pretty much said no sports until the Winter. On the Ignatius thread there was a post about Maryland saying any out of state travel should only be absolutely necessary. I know this does not begin to effect most schools and their schedules but I wonder if this begins to lead into more serious scheduling discussions from the Ed's, Ignatius', Hoban's of the world and either figuring out a more systematic approach or high school football beginning to be more travel team based. I know none of the schools want that but scheduling mostly local has been an issue for some schools now for over two decades. In 1996, I remember it was a big deal for Ed's to go down to the Pit, now they've just figured they have routine trips to Cincy and that's been the case since the mid 2000s. I think some football is better than no football, but if we only played the 7 in state games and let's say missed the OHSAA tournament based on points, not sure what the schools would do.

Rick Finotti said at an alumni board meeting once (so this is going back quite a few years) that he could see a Big 10 of high school football just to fix scheduling problems, since they already played many of those teams anyway. It would be inter-state and include schools in New Jersey, Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky. I doubt the finances would ever work out without some significant investment to help with travel and accommodation and it's pretty much void under our current scenario anyway. I think going to a PIAA scheduling system makes sense in some ways but takes out the freedom to schedule some good matchups for your program. Or do we go into a NCAA model where we are paying a lot of money to schools just to play us. What would competitive public schools want in order to schedule St. Ed's or make it worth their while to do so this year?

Excellent! Always fun playing Massillon. I think the first game against the Tigers was 1999?

Other names to keep a eye on? WR?

Couple others to know off top of the head

Seniors:
DT Cade Casto (just picked up Dayton offer today, has about a dozen others)
WR Broden Bostwick
RB Malachi Watkins
WR/P/QB Justin Slattery
DB Anthony "Bam" Jackson

Juniors:
WR Connor Goodall
LB Zyion Freer-Brown
LB/S Dom Sidari
OT Joey LaVelle
CB Joel Castleberry (Jr, assume you meant the Sr CB Jaylen Castleberry above)
DB Dontez Howard
WR Rayshawn Manning
S Jack Riley
LB Tory Williams

Soph:
LB/DE Wyatt Gedeon
RB Marvin Bell

Couple others to know off top of the head

Seniors:
DT Cade Casto (just picked up Dayton offer today, has about a dozen others)
WR Broden Bostwick
RB Malachi Watkins
WR/P/QB Justin Slattery
DB Anthony "Bam" Jackson

Juniors:
WR Connor Goodall
LB Zyion Freer-Brown
LB/S Dom Sidari
OT Joey LaVelle
CB Joel Castleberry (Jr, assume you meant the Sr CB Jaylen Castleberry above)
DB Dontez Howard
WR Rayshawn Manning
S Jack Riley
LB Tory Williams

Soph:
LB/DE Wyatt Gedeon
RB Marvin Bell
That is a strong Junior Class in a Sr dominant program. Thank you