2020 Senior Nationals

Yankeefan33

Senior Nationals started today, with Greco/half of women's Freestyle competing. Bunch of good results from everyone, I'll post some down below. Men's freestyle tomorrow, will definitely be worth a watch on Flowrestling.

Last edited:

Greco:
Four Ohio State guys placed today in Greco. Nick Boykin won 97kg, beating Braxton Amos 3-2 in the semis and #1 seed Chad Porter 5-1 in the finals. At 60kg, Dylan Koontz took 6th place and Brady Koontz took 7th. They actually matched up in the quarterfinals, with Dylan beating Brady 5-2. At 77kg, Fritz Schierl took 7th place.

Finals results:
60kg: Alex Thomsen (Nebraska) over Mosha Schwartz (Northern Colorado) 5-3
67kg: Benji Peak over Calvin Germinaro 8-0
77kg: Kendrick Sanders over Pat Smith 8-0
87kg: Alan Vera over Joe Rau 7-1
97kg: Nick Boykin (Ohio St) over Chad Porter 5-1
125kg: Cohlton Schultz (Arizona St) over West Cathcart 4-2

Women's Freestyle:
Was really excited to see the women back out there today. Standout was for sure Xochitl Mota-Pettis, who pinned Alli Ragan and then teched Vayle Baker before losing to Louive by pin (was 10-8 at time of pin) in the finals. Sarah Hildebrandt looked amazing as well, with three techs and an 8-0 win in the finals. She'll be in contention for a medal at the Olympics. Katherine Shai tech/pinned her way through 53kg as well, including a win over Ronna Heaton 10-0 in the finals. 62kg, 68kg, and 76kg tomorrow along with men's freestyle.

And if you play the eligiblity/redshirt game, Dylan Koontz and Fritz Schierl both qualified for an Olympic redshirt today with a top 8 finish. Other qualifiers include Alex Thomsen/Peyton Robb/Austin Emerson (Nebraska), Mosha Schwartz (Northern Colorado), Chance Rich (CSU Bakersfield), Zach Braunagel/Luke Luffman (Illinois), Braxton Amos (Wisconsin), and Nino Bonaccorsi (Pitt).

Who knows if any of this will matter because of the pandemic (everyone may just get another year, who knows) but Ohio State now has six guys eligible for the Olympic Redshirt: Tate Orndorff, Brady Koontz, Dylan Koontz, Fritz Schierl, Gavin Hoffman, and Nick Boykin.

Yankeefan33,
I was surprised to see Lamont go down to Thomsen.
Really looking forward to watch today and the insane 65 Kilo bracket!
GO DENO, PADDY and JOSH!

65 kg

1. Joey McKenna (TMWC)
  2. Jaydin Eierman (Hawkeye WC)
  3. Evan Henderson (TMWC)
  4. Andy Simmons (CKWC)
  5. Kanen Storr (CKWC)
  6. Dean Heil (TMWC)
  7. Matthew Kolodzik (NYAC)
  8. Mitch McKee (Gopher WC RTC)
  9. Andrew Alirez (Northern Colorado RTC)
  10. Sean Fausz (TMWC)
  11. Luke Pletcher (Pittsburgh WC)
  12. Yahya Thomas (Wildcat WC)
  13. Nick Dardanes (TMWC)
  14. Chad Red (Nebraska WTC)

Last edited:
I want to root agaisnt snyder for leaving ohio, even though i get it. The poor guy injures his knee in the semis and defaults. With the trials and the Olympics coming up, instead of cursing, the guy just says "dang it" like 3 times. Hes clearly a very sweet guy and i hope he'll be fine

Missed most everything live today (work calls), but caught up some tonight. Really interesting day of wrestling, with some wrestlers looking much sharper than others coming out of quarantine.

57kg: Surprise of the day to me was Dylan Ragusin, the incoming Michigan wrestler. Had good age level results (especially in Greco), but never saw him look this good. Wins over Darian Cruz and Sean Russell put him in the finals against Vito.
65kg: Hello, Andrew Alirez. Beats Junior world silver Mitch McKee in the R16, then beats Junior world silver Joey McKenna in the quarters, THEN beats Junior world team member Yahya Thomas in the semis. He'll face Even Henderson in the finals.
74kg: Maybe the most normal bracket, with Logan Massa against Anthony Valencia in the finals. Notable NCAA matches include David Carr over Ryan Deakin, Valencia over Hayden Hidlay, and Evan Wick 8-5 over Cam Amine.
86kg: Gabe Dean is back! Wins over prodigy Nathan Haas, Taylor Lujan, and a 2-1 win over Trent Hidlay put him into the finals against Nate Jackson. Watch out for Rocky Elam- Mizzou freshman beat Max Dean and Brett Pfarr and is still alive in the consolation bracket.
97kg: Well the news of the day was Kyle Snyder getting injured and forfeiting out against Kyven Gadson. Hope he's alright; Gadson gets Kollin Moore in the finals.
125kg: Tanner Hall over Dom Bradley was the surprise here, but Mason Parris looks so dang good. Between him and Gable, heavyweight is solid for the next four years.

Ohio/Ohio St results:
Joey McKenna: 4-1, lost to Alirez, in consi semis
Josh Heil: 2-2, lost to Alirez and Ian Parker
Luke Pletcher: 2-2, lost to Robbie Mathers and Mitch McKee
Matt Kolodzik: 4-1, lost to Eierman, in consi semis
Dean Heil: 2-2, lost to Mathers and Kevon Davenport
David Carr: 4-1, lost to Logan Massa, in consi semis
Kyle Snyder: 3-1, inj. def. in semis
Gavin Hoffman: 1-2, lost to Bonaccorsi and Davison
Kollin Moore: 3-0, in finals
Ty Walz: 3-1, lost to Moore, in consi semis
Tate Orndorff: 3-1, lost to Demetrius Thomas, in consis

So the big news is that Captain America lost by injury DF (was losing early 2-0 at the time). I guess the question is, how bad is the injury (knee, I think). I soured on him somewhat when he left tOSU, but did understand him thinking he needed a fresh start. But I always want the best to represent Team USA, so I hope he heals quickly. That being said, Cox is a pretty good backup, and I'm not even sure who wins that Cox vs Snyder match. Cox, 2x World Champ along with a World Bronze, is no slouch, and I think he is still on the rise. I don't know if he can beat the Russian Tank, but I don't think Snyder can either. A lot of talk on other sites keep going back to Rosselli (former tOSU coach, now at OK) being the coach that had Snyder at his peak. When he left tOSU, Snyder regressed somewhat. I'm not sure if there's any truth to it, but Snyder definitely hasn't progressed in recent years at the international level. When he was winning World and Olympic titles at age 19 & 20, I thought he'd continue to win and continue to get better. Now granted, it's tough to get better when you're the best in the world. I wish him a speedy recovery and wish the best (him or Cox) to represent Team USA.

So the big news is that Captain America lost by injury DF (was losing early 2-0 at the time). I guess the question is, how bad is the injury (knee, I think). I soured on him somewhat when he left tOSU, but did understand him thinking he needed a fresh start. But I always want the best to represent Team USA, so I hope he heals quickly. That being said, Cox is a pretty good backup, and I'm not even sure who wins that Cox vs Snyder match. Cox, 2x World Champ along with a World Bronze, is no slouch, and I think he is still on the rise. I don't know if he can beat the Russian Tank, but I don't think Snyder can either. A lot of talk on other sites keep going back to Rosselli (former tOSU coach, now at OK) being the coach that had Snyder at his peak. When he left tOSU, Snyder regressed somewhat. I'm not sure if there's any truth to it, but Snyder definitely hasn't progressed in recent years at the international level. When he was winning World and Olympic titles at age 19 & 20, I thought he'd continue to win and continue to get better. Now granted, it's tough to get better when you're the best in the world. I wish him a speedy recovery and wish the best (him or Cox) to represent Team USA.
And on a related topic, the Russian Tank got Covid, but not sure how bad or what his recovery looks like. If he's off his game somewhat, maybe a healthy Snyder or Cox can win this weight.

Did Paddy wrestle?
I didn't see him on a bracket. I thought I heard he was going to. No disgrace in not. IMO
Edit: I went back and watched his post win interview and he did mention he was going to Sr. Nats but he also mentioned he was going to go to Junior trials. Either way this young man continues to impress me more every event. His father and TWF has him tuned up. Can't waite to watch him the next 5 years.

Last edited:
And Kollin Moore beats Snyder killer Gadson 12-5. Congrats to Kollin.
To me that just shows Snyder was not 100% one way or another in that match. As much as I love Moore, even on his best day he doesn't beat Snyder on a bad day.

To me that just shows Snyder was not 100% one way or another in that match. As much as I love Moore, even on his best day he doesn't beat Snyder on a bad day.
I agree. Snyder has ruled Gadson in freestyle since the Gadson pin over Snyder in the the 2015 NCAA finals. I didn't see it live, but those who did said Gadson's shot was legit and likely would have been a TD. Snyder seemed hobbled afterward and DF'ed. Even if taken down, if healthy, Snyder comes back and wins that match IMO. And a healthy Snyder beats Moore all day. Still a great win for Moore.

And a hobbled Snyder doesn't beat Cox IMO, and if healthy, it's a great match but I'd give Snyder a slight edge.

I agree. Snyder has ruled Gadson in freestyle since the Gadson pin over Snyder in the the 2015 NCAA finals. I didn't see it live, but those who did said Gadson's shot was legit and likely would have been a TD. Snyder seemed hobbled afterward and DF'ed. Even if taken down, if healthy, Snyder comes back and wins that match IMO. And a healthy Snyder beats Moore all day. Still a great win for Moore.

And a hobbled Snyder doesn't beat Cox IMO, and if healthy, it's a great match but I'd give Snyder a slight edge.

Agree with everything you said. 100% Snyder is a slight favorite over Cox. Any injury whatsoever tilts it in Cox' favor.

I do agree also that Gadson is a real good win for Moore.

Thanks for the thread Yank.
It was great to watch more than 6-13 matches. Glorious!
Just read on another site that Snyder had ankle surgery today. No idea? Just thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone has heard anything.

A day late and a dollar short but thoughts. Ragusin, wow where did that come from? Arujau big brothered him though, wanna see Vito against 57’s best Fix, Lee, Gilman, etc. Man Alirez is good at transitioning from takedown to a lace, is he just that much different at free or are we going to see him dominate folk too? Logan Massa, more senior nationals titles (2) than AA finishes (1). Gotta be a rarity, looks like he’s finally back to freshman year form, not sure what was wrong but something was. Gabe Dean is still dang tough to score on, but he’s not stopping Taylor. Bummed to see Snyder get hurt, hope he’s 100% for trials and we see an epic clash with Cox. Parris keeps getting better, Gable and Gwiz are probably still better but the gap is continuing to close. Can he topple one or both come trials? Wouldn’t put it past him.

im thinking thatcher more than Lou.

im thinking thatcher more than Lou.

I don't know if that is the case, but would sure make a lot of sense instead of Roselli. Seems Snyder is more worn out than anything. He was getting beat up regularly on the international stage (even though he was winning) at a pretty early age. Not many can keep going for very long with the schedule he was keeping. The injury is not the way to get some rest away from the sport, but it may be the only way to keep him off the mat and stoke the fire while he is sidelined. Just an opinion.

USA decides not to send a team to The Senior World Championships. More bad news.
Stinks, but I think an expected decision from some (myself included). Two months to go, no plans on trials, no plans for location/quarantine situation. Coaches and athletes having to leave their teams in the middle of the season. Spending 2 weeks in a foreign country that might not be too receptive to visitors from America. Potential for different protocols based on the election result in a month. Just a lot going on to make it work.

Edit- Just read the full release, there's a mention in there that USA Wrestling did ask athletes their thoughts on going. No specifics as to how many people wanted to go/who wanted to go, but athletes were mentioned as being involved in the process. An important part of these decisions for sure.

Last edited:
It was quite the press release.
there was already grumbling about who we would even send. No one seem to be sure if we were going to send the winners from our senior nationals or not.
It’s just a bad situation, like most of 2020.