2020 Rock and Roll HOF Nominees

clarkgriswold

The 2020 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees have been announced. It's an eclectic group. They are:
  • Pat Benatar
  • Dave Matthews Band
  • Depeche Mode
  • The Doobie Brothers
  • Whitney Houston
  • Judas Priest
  • Kraftwerk
  • MC5
  • Motörhead
  • Nine Inch Nails
  • The Notorious B.I.G.
  • Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
  • Todd Rundgren
  • Soundgarden
  • T.Rex
  • Thin Lizzy

There are that many going in this year or is there further cutdown ?

Long past due to just name it the music Hall of Fame

Nominees, not going in. That's the list of people to be voted upon.
Figured as much. What is their protocol in voting ? What is the max for each year ?

I haven't paid much attention but like I said it should jsut be the music Hall of Fame. It hasn't ever been a rock hall with who is in vs who is left out

Motorhead , Judas priest , thin Lizzy etc should already be in. Dave matthews band is one of her most annoying groups of all time imo

The Doobie Bros should have been in eons ago.

Kraftwerk??? I liked "Autobahn" as much as anybody, but I don't see M getting in anytime soon on the strength of a similar novelty hit. ("Pop Muzik", for you whippersnappers).

Last edited:
Figured as much. What is their protocol in voting ? What is the max for each year ?

I haven't paid much attention but like I said it should jsut be the music Hall of Fame. It hasn't ever been a rock hall with who is in vs who is left out

Motorhead , Judas priest , thin Lizzy etc should already be in. Dave matthews band is one of her most annoying groups of all time imo

Public voting on the inductees begins today and lasts till 11:59 p.m. Friday, Jan. 10. Fans can vote through Google by searching “Rock Hall Fan Vote,” at rockhall.com or at the museum here in Cleveland. The top five vote-getters will comprise a single “fans ballot,” which will be tallied alongside more than 1,000 ballots of official voters. Those voters consist of music and industry professionals and all living Rock Hall inductees.

The results will be revealed in mid-January. Normally, five to seven performers are chosen from the ballot, along with one or two nonperformers who are inducted as Ahmet Ertegun Award winners. The late Brian Epstein and Andrew Loog Oldham, the respective managers of the Beatles and Rolling Stones, are examples of that.

Typically, five to seven inductees are chosen each year.

These are not my choices but my best guess on the 5-7 that will get in this year>

• Pat Benatar> Either Pat Benatar or Whitney Houston will get in due to PC pressure of needing a woman in the class.
  • The Doobie Brothers> They are going deeper on '70s arena rock acts, the Doobie's fit the bill in 2020.
  • Judas Priest> Now that Jann is no longer the gate keeper expect to see a big name metal act get in each year. Iron Maiden will be in 2021.
  • The Notorious B.I.G> Also expect to start seeing more rap acts get in due to the publicity and street cred they bring.
  • Todd Rundgren> Bonus credit for his production work but there are voters that cannot stand the guy. Most dubious choice to get in.
  • T.Rex> Roxy Music got in LY so the British backers push another glam rocker candidacy over the top.
I have Nine Inch Nails on the borderline if they are looking for a 90s act, Soundgarden might be the better choice but Trent Reznor has stayed active in the business outside of NIN so he is in front of the voters.

Maybe the Doobie Brothers, and maybe Depeche Mode, and Todd Rundgren as an outsider.

Other than that, it has been so watered down over the years, it is not much of an honor at this stage of the game.

If it is supposed to be a true Rock n Roll Hall of Fame .................maybe two dozen acts have earned it so far.

Predictions:

1. Tough call between Pat and Whitney, but Pat can attend the ceremony to accept the award, so …

2. No one’s gonna let in recently’s fave freak, Boyd, and his sock fetish. :rolleyes:

3. ‘Personal Jesus’ and ‘Never Let Me Down Again’ probably aren’t enough.

4. Agree with Indio here. Overdue.

5. See #1.

6. See #9.

7-8. Again, from last year:

7. Kraftwerk – Ahead of its time, but no.

8. MC5 – ‘Kick Out The Jams.’ Influential, but no.

9. Motörhead slidin’ in past Judas Priest & Thin Lizzy.

10. NIN > Soundgarden, IMO.

11. Mere two years after Tupac’s induction? Only rap nominee, so yup.

12-13. From last year:

12. Rufus /Chaka Khan – Popular in the 70s and 80s. No.

2. Todd Rundgren – ‘A Dream Goes On Forever.’ Can’t walk through a store without hearing one of his songs playing overhead. Yes.

14. See #10.

15. The Power Station’s ‘80s cover just might give ‘em an edge, lol.

16. See #9.

Where's ohiopup?

Maybe the Doobie Brothers, and maybe Depeche Mode, and Todd Rundgren as an outsider.

Other than that, it has been so watered down over the years, it is not much of an honor at this stage of the game.

If it is supposed to be a true Rock n Roll Hall of Fame .................maybe two dozen acts have earned it so far.
Maybe you're not a hip hop fan but based on other rappers I've seen get in, Biggie definitely deserves the vote.

Saw the Doobie Brothers with Santana at Blossom a couple months ago. They were pretty good. Not sure they’re greats who belong in the rock HOF, though.

Saw the Doobie Brothers with Santana at Blossom a couple months ago. They were pretty good. Not sure they’re greats who belong in the rock HOF, though.

Sacrilege!

Calming my faux outrage for a second to ask why you think that?

One of the more memorable Doobies moments was their appearance on "What's Happening" with Rerun getting caught trying to tape a bootleg of their concert. In Grateful Dead taper circles a bad audience recording was called a Rerun tape.

640x640_7905368.jpg

Sacrilege!

Calming my faux outrage for a second to ask why you think that?

They just seem like a Dave Matthews precursor, and I don’t think DMB is Rock Hall worthy, either. They have a handful of recognizable songs at best to anyone who didn’t grow up in the 70s.

One of the more memorable Doobies moments was their appearance on "What's Happening" with Rerun getting caught trying to tape a bootleg of their concert. In Grateful Dead taper circles a bad audience recording was called a Rerun tape.

640x640_7905368.jpg

Do people even do that anymore? Cell phones and YouTube kinda ruined the whole covert bootleg industry. Should be in the 'Gone Never More' thread, along with holding up lit lighters for encores.

Memorable moment! I remember seeing it on the original broadcast date The next day in school, we were walking around saying, "Which Doobie do you be?"

IIRC, they included the instrumental interlude to "I Cheat The Hangman" during the concert scene, that was pretty cool.

Memorable moment! I remember seeing it on the original broadcast date The next day in school, we were walking around saying, "Which Doobie do you be?"

IIRC, they included the instrumental interlude to "I Cheat The Hangman" during the concert scene, that was pretty cool.

I asked the black kids at Benedictine if they would ever put on a Doobie Brothers concert like What's Happening, they basically said what George Clinton did in the song P.Funk (Wants To Get Funked Up)

"...Then I was down south and I heard some funk with some main ingredients
Like Doobie Brothers, Blue Magic, David Bowie
It was cool
But can you imagine Doobiein' your funk? Ho!"

Do people even do that anymore? Cell phones and YouTube kinda ruined the whole covert bootleg industry. Should be in the 'Gone Never More' thread, along with holding up lit lighters for encores.

In 1984 the Grateful Dead started to allow audience taping in a special section behind the sound board and jam bands have basically followed this model ever since. Some other bands, U2, Metallica, Pearl Jam have had a don't ask don't tell policy as long as they are not professional and made for sale; accessibility killed the bootleg business more than anything else. Here is 5/3/01 U2 from Cleveland, rumor has it that a fan asked the the soundboard folks nicely if he could patch into the PA and this is what you get>

Rap groups should not be in the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame.....

This world has gone to and I am glad that I am almost out of the anus so I can get flushed away!