2020 Predictions & favorites

I’ll add in my thoughts

D1: Moeller and Lakota East both lose some very good talent out of their senior class. I believe both Mason and St. X were younger which makes me believe they will be tough once again this year. One team I know very little about is

my top 4: Moeller, Mason, St. X, Milford
Darkhorse: Loveland

D2: Wyoming was the one team out of Cincinnati who made it to regionals. They lose their GK and two of their top goal scorers. Indian Hill was senior heavy and SCD lost their stud scorer. Roger Bacon was young. Seems to me the field is wide open.

Top 3: Wyoming, SCD, Indian Hill
Darkhorse: McNick

D3: Seems to always be a three horse race in Mariemont, Madeira and Seven Hills. I can’t see that changing unless SCD moves back down to D3.

Top 3: Seven Hills, Madeira, Mariemont
Darkhorse: SCD

Total Speculation, but here goes.
Div. 1 Top 5: St.X, West, Sycamore, Mason, Loveland
Dark-horse: Walnut Hills

Div. 2 Top 3: SCD, McNick, Indian Hill
Dark-horse: Ross

Div. 3 Top 3: Mariemont, Seven Hills, Madeira
Dark-horse: Fairfield Cin, Christian

D1- I think Loveland, X, and Mason were all younger and deep last year. Could see them really shining this season as they return a lot from the 2019 rosters that were very talented. Especially with several programs (Moe, East) in a rebuild year with younger rosters. Sycamore seemed to be solid toward end of last year. Same for Milford, though I think they graduated several key pieces. Moeller lost a ton and will have a bumpier ride than they're used to the last couple of years. East lost a lot too. I don't know much about Lakota West, but heard good things about their youngsters. Elder had a great 2019, but they graduate key parts to that team and might struggle to find the net as frequently. Kings gets my nod for dark horse because of young coaches who seemed to really build something as the season went on in 2019. Definitely a program on the rise again.

Top 4: Loveland, St. Xavier, Mason, Sycamore
Dark horse: Kings

D2- Seems wide open. If SCD and CCD both stay at D2 and don't move down with the rumored competitive balance reshuffle, they could both be in the conversation. SCD returns several young talents, but losing their most creative player up front and several midfield enforcers makes the typical "Summit reload" a little tougher this year. McNick and Bacon will be young and talented. Wyoming overachieved last year because they believed they could and they had mature talent (and a massive goalie). They've replaced some of their weak schedule with better teams this year and lost several quality players. Interested to see how they handle it. Indian Hill lost almost the whole roster to graduation, hard to see them competing much this year but could be a dark horse.

Top 4: SCD, McNick, Roger Bacon, Wyoming
Dark horse: Indian Hill

D3- Madeira lost everyone, so this one seems like Seven Hills and Mariemont as 1a and 1b (you choose which is which) and then everyone else. If SCD and CCD come back down to D3, though, things get a lot more interesting! SH and Mariemont could both be poised for deep runs. They both have to be holding they're breath that the Country Day schools stay in D2 for at least another year.

Top 4: Seven Hills, Mariemont, Madeira, CCS
Dark horse: Finneytown? Ross?

D1 - My prediction is that all big league champs repeat (Mason, Moeller, Loveland). Mason and Loveland were both young last year, I expect them to be a top 5 team all year. Moeller has won the league three straight years. There will be some fun games with St. X but Moeller has had their number the last few years. I also believe Lakota East, Lakota West, Milford, Turpin and Elder will be in the mix. Dark horse is Walnut Hills.

D2 - Seems like most teams lost a lot of talent at this level. If it comes down to coaching SCD and Wyoming will be on top again. Roger Bacon, CCD, McNick, Indian Hill will all have a spot at the table. Dark Horse is Taylor. Is Ross considered Cincinnati? If so them.

D3 - Mariemont was good last year and they should be better this year. Seven Hills will win another district title. They’ve got a nice program there. Madeira will be down but with so little talent in D3 they may still win a district title or at the minimum, play for a district title. Dark horse: Finneytown

Can't speak of other divisions, but don't count Monroe out for D-2. They return about everyone from a team that lost by a goal I believe to Wyoming in regionals.

D1 - My prediction is that all big league champs repeat (Mason, Moeller, Loveland). Mason and Loveland were both young last year, I expect them to be a top 5 team all year. Moeller has won the league three straight years. There will be some fun games with St. X but Moeller has had their number the last few years. I also believe Lakota East, Lakota West, Milford, Turpin and Elder will be in the mix. Dark horse is Walnut Hills.

D2 - Seems like most teams lost a lot of talent at this level. If it comes down to coaching SCD and Wyoming will be on top again. Roger Bacon, CCD, McNick, Indian Hill will all have a spot at the table. Dark Horse is Taylor. Is Ross considered Cincinnati? If so them.

D3 - Mariemont was good last year and they should be better this year. Seven Hills will win another district title. They’ve got a nice program there. Madeira will be down but with so little talent in D3 they may still win a district title or at the minimum, play for a district title. Dark horse: Finneytown
I am only quoting this person, but I did see quite a few people refer to Mason as a YOUNG team in 2019; not sure that is actual. They had 8 senior starters, 7 seniors either 1st or 2nd team all conference and will graduate the 2X POY in GMC. But like most big schools, they will reload quickly!!

D2 seems to be the most poised for changes due to any enrollment adjustments.

Both finalists were very close to D1.

Howland graduates a lot.

Not sure about Tipp City.

DeSales could move back down to D2.

Lexington was in the final four but graduated about a dozen kids I believe.

I'm sure Bay will be back with a vengeance.

CVCA graduated a couple very good players but will likely reload.

Gonna be a lot of teams in the hunt in D2. That's for sure.

In terms of the ECC, loveland must be the favorites. Milford were a powerhouse in 2019, yet lost their key players such as Joey round, so not sure how they’re going to do this year.
From west Clermont, Nolan Shirmer will look to get them in the mix but it is unlikely he can carry the team to more than a few ECC wins.
Anderson lost its key players this year, Brevin Andreadis especially was a good player for them. Younger guys are going to need to step up: any sophomores/juniors that can make an impact this year?
Kings made a run a the end of the year last year, beating anderson pretty handily at the end of the season and then topping Walnut in the playoffs. They lose their top scorer, so other guys are gonna need to step up. Not sure if they have anyone capable of filling middlekamps role.
Walnut hills lost some key players but being the big school they are, they definelty have the potential to do well this year.
Without withrow, and with the addition of 3 decent schools, the ECC becomes a lot more competitive.

D2 seems to be the most poised for changes due to any enrollment adjustments.

Both finalists were very close to D1.

Howland graduates a lot.

Not sure about Tipp City.

DeSales could move back down to D2.

Lexington was in the final four but graduated about a dozen kids I believe.

I'm sure Bay will be back with a vengeance.

CVCA graduated a couple very good players but will likely reload.

Gonna be a lot of teams in the hunt in D2. That's for sure.

Columbus DeSales has moved back down to D2 making them I would think the favorites next to Bay.

CCD moves to D3

Summit Country Day stays D2

Dayton Carroll stays D1

Can't speak of other divisions, but don't count Monroe out for D-2. They return about everyone from a team that lost by a goal I believe to Wyoming in regionals.
I have Monroe taking it. Ross will be their nemesis. But Monroe overcomes. Wyoming will not be Wyoming from last year.

Moeller with more transfers!!! Things that make you go hmmmmmmm. Hope coaches have back bones!!!! I guess Moeller will be pretty good for half the season!

D1 is probably the most interesting this year especially with players who did not play HS last year due to FCC Academy returning this season. Sycamore, Mason, and Anderson all have players retuning. Seems like Lakota East graduated a bit too much to repeat a regional championship. Seems like it may come down to Mason, St. X, Sycamore, and Moeller. Not sure how the ECC teams will look.

Monroe is the clear front runner to make it out of the region for D2. They return most everyone from a team that won their first district championship ever last year. This may be the year Monroe can make a legitimate state run, and maybe the last for a very long time. I hope they have a season to see this out. D2 in Cincy is not very strong or deep. The usual suspects will be on top: SCD, IH, Wyoming, McNick.

Working backwards in celebration of my alma mater and their promising season:

D3: Mariemont is dripping with talent but will have to overcome the usual quality in the CHL (Wyoming, IH....not sure what Maderia has coming back but they are talented as well.

D2: Such a nice division with Monroe returning talent, Summit will reload but will it be up to the level they were so fortunate to have together those 4 years.... Wyoming will always be a match up you will have a battle on your hands with coach Jones' intensity -- his teams always play hard.

D1: Loveland's program has a lot of momentum (football is down, soccer is the fall sport at that school); Moeller has some transition to work through but we all know the talent is there. I expect St X, Lakota West to represent more like their reputation than both had last season. Sycamore-- can the ascent continue? and shear numbers always puts Mason in the mix.

Walnut Hills - not sure what to make of their program; honestly, I thought the '19 team was well stocked with size, speed....but they continuously threw up on themselves at the end of the half/final time. (They get that worked out and I believe this is the dark-horse this year)

Turpin --- not one mention this year for a program with a rich tradition. Lost a lot of seniors. Could be young (heavy on 9/10 graders) but always very talented with a coach who is going to get the most out of his players (not a dark horse but a sleeper)

Milford -- another program that is deep. Yes, they lose seniors...but they played young players on varsity and last year's JV had at least 7 Jrs-- should have double digit Srs on this year's roster. on it. Shouldn't be too much of a drop off in 2020.

Anderson --- another team that lost it's fair share of Seniors. Like St X, I believe they are getting a DA player (Soph) back into the program and a transfer from out of state who is committed to UK (?); GK has been quality since his freshman year. I have heard one of their top players has suffered some medical issues that may jeopardize his season. Another program that always has talent to be competitive but will have to prove if they are in the elite bucket.

D3: Mariemont is dripping with talent but will have to overcome the usual quality in the CHL (Wyoming, IH....not sure what Maderia has coming back but they are talented as well.

D2: Such a nice division with Monroe returning talent, Summit will reload but will it be up to the level they were so fortunate to have together those 4 years.... Wyoming will always be a match up you will have a battle on your hands with coach Jones' intensity -- his teams always play hard.

D1: Loveland's program has a lot of momentum (football is down, soccer is the fall sport at that school); Moeller has some transition to work through but we all know the talent is there. I expect St X, Lakota West to represent more like their reputation than both had last season. Sycamore-- can the ascent continue? and shear numbers always puts Mason in the mix.

Walnut Hills - not sure what to make of their program; honestly, I thought the '19 team was well stocked with size, speed....but they continuously threw up on themselves at the end of the half/final time. (They get that worked out and I believe this is the dark-horse this year)

Turpin --- not one mention this year for a program with a rich tradition. Lost a lot of seniors. Could be young (heavy on 9/10 graders) but always very talented with a coach who is going to get the most out of his players (not a dark horse but a sleeper)

Milford -- another program that is deep. Yes, they lose seniors...but they played young players on varsity and last year's JV had at least 7 Jrs-- should have double digit Srs on this year's roster. on it. Shouldn't be too much of a drop off in 2020.

Anderson --- another team that lost it's fair share of Seniors. Like St X, I believe they are getting a DA player (Soph) back into the program and a transfer from out of state who is committed to UK (?); GK has been quality since his freshman year. I have heard one of their top players has suffered some medical issues that may jeopardize his season. Another program that always has talent to be competitive but will have to prove if they are in the elite bucket.

Appreciate your excellent information. I'll add a little.

D3: Mariemont and Seven Hills both return a ton...as does defending regional champion, Brookville. Brookville defeated both Mariemont and Seven Hills at the regionals in tight games. My guess is there will be a lot of distance between those three teams and the rest of the SW, but there could be some scrappy resistance from CCD (coming back to D3 after a season in D2) and Madeira (though this may be the least experienced Madeira team in over a decade). I don't know who else will be strong from Dayton.

D2: I was impressed by Monroe last season (had to be best season in program history) and, of course, state champion Tippecanoe. Wyoming loses a few excellent players, but they actually return most of their starting lineup, and I would expect very little dropoff. Indian Hill was also excellent last season but loses quite a bit. Both of these Cincinnati teams are extremely well coached. And, yes, Summit. I didn't get to see them last season, so I know nothing about what this juggernaut returns. I do know they have some excellent freshmen rising up from the middle school who will at some point be great players for the program.

Appreciate your excellent information. I'll add a little.

D3: Mariemont and Seven Hills both return a ton...as does defending regional champion, Brookville. Brookville defeated both Mariemont and Seven Hills at the regionals in tight games. My guess is there will be a lot of distance between those three teams and the rest of the SW, but there could be some scrappy resistance from CCD (coming back to D3 after a season in D2) and Madeira (though this may be the least experienced Madeira team in over a decade). I don't know who else will be strong from Dayton.

D2: I was impressed by Monroe last season (had to be best season in program history) and, of course, state champion Tippecanoe. Wyoming loses a few excellent players, but they actually return most of their starting lineup, and I would expect very little dropoff. Indian Hill was also excellent last season but loses quite a bit. Both of these Cincinnati teams are extremely well coached. And, yes, Summit. I didn't get to see them last season, so I know nothing about what this juggernaut returns. I do know they have some excellent freshmen rising up from the middle school who will at some point be great players for the program.
Botkins not Brookville. Troy Christian will also be tough in Dayton.

Botkins not Brookville. Troy Christian will also be tough in Dayton.

Appreciate the correction, winbypin, and apologies to Botkiins. No disrespect intended. Heckuva team, and I can see any one of these three teams winning the state championship this season. Troy Christian has established itself as an excellent program over the past 6-8 years.

Good stuff here. I think Kings is another to look out for in the ECC.Their second half of the year was pretty good albeit against lower competition. it will be interesting to see if they continue to improve.Great point about Turpin. No one talks about them and yet they’ve been one of the most consistent programs the last ten years or so. Coaching staff does a great job.

Sycamore is the most interesting team to me. Return a ton of talent from a team that had some big wins last year. They seem poised to have a big season. Moeller and Mason both graduated some tremendous talent but with the amount of talent both programs bring in year in and year out I would never say they’re not a top 5 or even top 3 team in the city. Watch out for Dayton Carroll as well. They always field a strong team and may soon be back in D2 where they would be immediate state champ favorites

the real question is does anyone in SW Ohio have the ability to even compete with St. Iggy? That’s a powerhouse that seems to keep getting stronger.

D2 and D3 seem predictable. Would love to see a sleeper team come out and beat the favorites. Roger Bacon? McNicholas? CCD? A couple years ago both Bacon and McNicholas had teams that could compete with any D1 programs.

Beyond that it would be great to see a team from this area win a regional title game. When was the last time a D2 or D3 team from Cincinnati other than Summit made it to the state semis? Pretty sure it’s been awhile. Maybe Mariemont or Seven Hills could be that team this year.

McNick has a pretty lean cupboard with the graduation of their striker and other Srs.

Kings is an odd team to figure out... I think there is more talent there than meets the eye, players get up for the big opponents but lack consistency against lesser than opponents.

Agreed on the Sycamore comments...it's the the second year for the coach, another reason to expect some big things from the Aves

Good stuff here. I think Kings is another to look out for in the ECC.Their second half of the year was pretty good albeit against lower competition. it will be interesting to see if they continue to improve.Great point about Turpin. No one talks about them and yet they’ve been one of the most consistent programs the last ten years or so. Coaching staff does a great job.

Sycamore is the most interesting team to me. Return a ton of talent from a team that had some big wins last year. They seem poised to have a big season. Moeller and Mason both graduated some tremendous talent but with the amount of talent both programs bring in year in and year out I would never say they’re not a top 5 or even top 3 team in the city. Watch out for Dayton Carroll as well. They always field a strong team and may soon be back in D2 where they would be immediate state champ favorites

the real question is does anyone in SW Ohio have the ability to even compete with St. Iggy? That’s a powerhouse that seems to keep getting stronger.

D2 and D3 seem predictable. Would love to see a sleeper team come out and beat the favorites. Roger Bacon? McNicholas? CCD? A couple years ago both Bacon and McNicholas had teams that could compete with any D1 programs.

Beyond that it would be great to see a team from this area win a regional title game. When was the last time a D2 or D3 team from Cincinnati other than Summit made it to the state semis? Pretty sure it’s been awhile. Maybe Mariemont or Seven Hills could be that team this year.

The answer might be Madeira 2011 (five regional titles from 2000-2011).

If there is a season, St. X is the team to beat down the stretch. Return a solid Senior class and have some very good Juniors as well. Moeller picked up two top Juniors from Mason, and one from Lakota East so could be good through the first part of the season, but if there is a back half, those kids will be sitting out per transfer rules. Of course I heard that St. X lost one of their top Seniors as recently as this week? Who knows what will happen, but I would go St.X, Moeller for the first half, then Sycamore. I don’t see Mason having a great year, or Milford although Milford does have some solid Juniors and a Senior or two. Just not that deep and graduated some very good players.

They have a strong and experienced senior class and good support from underclassman. I can’t wait to see them play (on live stream). It could be a special season for Alter if there is a complete season.

They have a strong and experienced senior class and good support from underclassman. I can’t wait to see them play (on live stream). It could be a special season for Alter if there is a complete season.

Do you have a link to the live stream games? I can't find it on the Alter athletic website.