2020 Offseason

Orin Swift

Well with the CBA passed and free agency starting two of the biggest WTF moments have already happened:
The tanking Jags gave Ereck Flowers $30M over 3 years and $19.95M guaranteed
The Texans trade Deandre Hopkins and a 4th rounder to the Cardinals for David Johnson, a 2020 2nd rounder and a 2021 4th rounder.

Any thoughts on Ryan Tannehill staying with the Titans long term? I think the Titans got a heck of a deal. In mid October, the Titans were 2-4, made the switch to the backup Tannehill and it appeared this team was ready to pull the plug on things, draft yet another young QB and start the process over. Tannehill played stellar down the stretch, led the NFL in QB rating and led KC at halftime in the AFC championship game.
The Titans also made a pretty good deal for Tannehill, a team friendly one in fact. Franchise tagged Derek Henry today so you have the backfield in tack, the receivers in tact. GM Jon Robinson deserves a pat on the back.

Any thoughts on Ryan Tannehill staying with the Titans long term? I think the Titans got a heck of a deal. In mid October, the Titans were 2-4, made the switch to the backup Tannehill and it appeared this team was ready to pull the plug on things, draft yet another young QB and start the process over. Tannehill played stellar down the stretch, led the NFL in QB rating and led KC at halftime in the AFC championship game.
The Titans also made a pretty good deal for Tannehill, a team friendly one in fact. Franchise tagged Derek Henry today so you have the backfield in tack, the receivers in tact. GM Jon Robinson deserves a pat on the back.
yeah, its big money but not assinine as some franchise QBs get. It juuuust may be enough to allow them to contend big time throughout his deal.

It seems to me that Tennessee is paying a lot of money to a couple of guys whose long term records tell us are average player. They both had a hell of a run, but I prefer to judge guys on their body of work not half a season.

If I am the Jets, I have to wonder how Tannehill and Drake suddenly became top notch players as soon as they got away from Adam Gase.

Signing Diggs was a great move by the Bills. Their #1 need going into FA was getting a true #1 WR and Diggs is exactly that.

The Bills were drafting at #22 so they didn't have a chance of picking one of the elite WR candidates. And the Bills had multiple 5th & 6th round picks so packaging the 22nd pick in the draft and a 5th & 6th round for Diggs was good value for the Bills.

There is no way any WR the Bills took at #22 was going to come in and have even a fraction of the impact Diggs will have. And at 26 years old and having just finished the 1st year of a 5 year CAP friendly deal landing Diggs made good business sense. Even after signing Diggs the Bills still have a lot of CAP room left.

IMO this trade along with Brady leaving the Pats mans that the Bills are now the favorite to win the AFC East.

As an aside I have no idea why the Texans got so little for Hopkins. I do think that with both the Texans & Vikings where the player went mattered in that NEITHER wanted to trade within their conference.

Getting Diggs was a good move. However this draft is supposedly one of the best Wr classes ever. I think they would have gotten someone pretty good. Projecting WR is interesting, remember the Steelers found AB in the 5th or 6th and Emmanuel Sanders I believe in the 3rd the same year.

Bengals make no attempt to improve their garbage LB situation as they watch Littleton, Schobert, Kwiatkoski sign reasonable deals elsewhere. Good job.

I do like the way Buffalo has constructed their team over the last 3 or 4 years. They just seem to be getting more and more solid. I wish the Browns would have hired Sean McDermott when they had the chance instead of Haslam going against everyone's advice and hiring Hue.

One thing that I hate about professional sports is how money is the main variable in many of the decisions. Todd Gurley should still be with the Rams but it was a smart move to cut him because it saves a ton of money on an often injured player.

One thing that I hate about professional sports is how money is the main variable in many of the decisions. Todd Gurley should still be with the Rams but it was a smart move to cut him because it saves a ton of money on an often injured player.
Eh.
In baseball they can and often do keep guys like this because of no cap. In the NBA they used one of their myriad of exemptions to resign as well.

Rams spent all willy-nilly the last couple of offseasons and it was just a race against time what big name player would get cut first.

Reports are that the Cowboys are looking to make Dak the highest paid player in the NFL. Crazy. There are at least a half dozen QB's in the NFL I;d put above him. Jerry's going to have Dak, Zeke, Cooper and a bunch of stiffs.

Getting Diggs was a good move. However this draft is supposedly one of the best Wr classes ever. I think they would have gotten someone pretty good. Projecting WR is interesting, remember the Steelers found AB in the 5th or 6th and Emmanuel Sanders I believe in the 3rd the same year.
Yep. The Vikings aren’t crying about losing Diggs. He was a malcontent and this is a very deep draft for another WR to pair with Theilen.

Reports are that the Cowboys are looking to make Dak the highest paid player in the NFL. Crazy. There are at least a half dozen QB's in the NFL I;d put above him. Jerry's going to have Dak, Zeke, Cooper and a bunch of stiffs.
It’s just the nature of the position. The highest paid QB will always be the most recent FA QB, not necessarily the best QB. See: Cousins, Kirk

It’s just the nature of the position. The highest paid QB will always be the most recent FA QB, not necessarily the best QB. See: Cousins, Kirk

True. Just amazed how it continues to grow and for guys that aren't all that special. The Cowboys spent big money on two guys that are good not great this off-season between Dak and Cooper.

I am glad that GODdell isnt backing down and still is planning to have the draft, with modifications, at the normally scheduled time. That first few days after FA started everything seemed to feel normal again and ya sort of forget about the silliness going on.

Good on you NFL, keep that draft when it is and give us another respite from the govt stripping us of our freedoms.

Correct. No reason to move it to another date. The draft can easily be done remotely. Not going to miss the players coming on to the stage to get their new hats and jerseys. Perhaps this will quicken the process as well.

Correct. No reason to move it to another date. The draft can easily be done remotely. Not going to miss the players coming on to the stage to get their new hats and jerseys. Perhaps this will quicken the process as well.

ESPN is pretty sad now. The draft will be worse...

ESPN is pretty sad now. The draft will be worse...
The only other option is to wait way tooo long for fans to be there.

It will be a ratings bonanza, no doubt about that. I never watched much of the draft until it was moved to primetime. WHen it was just on a saturday it was totally predicated on the weather that day. IF it was nice....i wasnt going waste my time inside.

THey should set ratings records for the draft that will never be beat, until the next time America shuts down in 2030 or so.

The Vikings fleeced the Bills in the Diggs trade and will be able to fill their two main needs...safety and WR...with both of their first rounders and likely won't miss a beat. Now if only Cousins can win more than one playoff game...