2020 MVL Football

The Stebbins Indians have done it again. They came back from an early deficit to hold on to a close win. This time they trailed Xenia early after the opening kickoff was run back for a TD, and after another long Xenia TD run and a sack in the Indians' end zone for a safety they trailed 16-3 early in the second quarter. They rallied and held on late for a 26-23 win.

All three games have looked like this: down early, but a late rally sealed a win. WC led by two scores THREE times (12-0, 19-7, 25-14) but SHS did not quit and won 28-25. Then Sidney had the tribe down 7-0, 13-9, 20-16 in a see-saw game that Stebbins sealed with a slippery mobile QB and solid 4th quarter defense.

This is such a large departure from recent history that it is hard to grapple with! Stebbins teams that trailed at any point would lose, especially under former coach (now at Xenia) Trace Smitherman. It is excellent to see the boys play with more respect for themselves and for their coach (Greg Bonifay). This may not be the best team in Division 2, but they do not quit, and that is worth 3 wins so far!

dont know why you guys wanted to end the series ? Was just starting to heat up
Because you saw the storm a brewing
I'm just going to assume what you said is merely in jest.

But just in case, here's how it works: The schools signed up for a home and home series, like pretty much every school does. The 2 games were up and they moved on. Nothing more to it than that. It's pretty standard procedure for non conference games, outside of long running non conference rivalries.

Bellbrook will have a harder time scheduling MVL teams in the future since they're moving to a 9 conference game schedule. Just not as many openings to go around.

Piqua beat Greenville 49-0 and to be honest it wasn't really entertaining at all. Greenville just wasn't big enough to get much push on either of the lines. I kinda felt bad for the kids of Greenville. Piqua ran their offense in the first half then the starters only played one play of the 2nd half.

It looks like we might be in for a good one next Friday when Stebbins visits Alexander Stadium. It will be streamed live on Piqua's youtube channel the Indian Nation Station.

Piqua beat Greenville 49-0 and to be honest it wasn't really entertaining at all. Greenville just wasn't big enough to get much push on either of the lines. I kinda felt bad for the kids of Greenville. Piqua ran their offense in the first half then the starters only played one play of the 2nd half.

It looks like we might be in for a good one next Friday when Stebbins visits Alexander Stadium. It will be streamed live on Piqua's youtube channel the Indian Nation Station.
Yeah, that Greenville/Piqua game was ugly. It was like watching a varsity vs. jv scrimmage. Everything working for Piqua, and nothing working for Greenville.

Piqua has looked like the best team in the MVL from what I've seen so far this season. I think they've already cleared their biggest hurdle in beating Troy. While both teams are 3-0, I think Piqua handles Stebbins pretty easily.

All these games being streamed this year is a bit of a blessing, even though being at games in person is better. Instead of just watching one game, we can watch pretty much all of them at once, since most schools have been streaming games.

The Stebbins Indians have done it again. They came back from an early deficit to hold on to a close win. This time they trailed Xenia early after the opening kickoff was run back for a TD, and after another long Xenia TD run and a sack in the Indians' end zone for a safety they trailed 16-3 early in the second quarter. They rallied and held on late for a 26-23 win.

All three games have looked like this: down early, but a late rally sealed a win. WC led by two scores THREE times (12-0, 19-7, 25-14) but SHS did not quit and won 28-25. Then Sidney had the tribe down 7-0, 13-9, 20-16 in a see-saw game that Stebbins sealed with a slippery mobile QB and solid 4th quarter defense.

This is such a large departure from recent history that it is hard to grapple with! Stebbins teams that trailed at any point would lose, especially under former coach (now at Xenia) Trace Smitherman. It is excellent to see the boys play with more respect for themselves and for their coach (Greg Bonifay). This may not be the best team in Division 2, but they do not quit, and that is worth 3 wins so far!
Great comeback. This IS a different Stebbins. They don't give up when down. Balanced attack. QB is efficient in both the pass/run & a couple of good RB's to rotate in. Xenia, who was up 16-3, lost the game on a coaching decision just before the half when they chose to go for it on 4th & 7. With just over two minutes left they turned the ball over at midfield instead of punting Stebbins deep. Stebbins made the Bucs pay for giving them a short field and drove in the score just before half. Then, with the gained momentum, scored again on the opening drive of the 2nd half. That coaching mistake was the turning point in the game.

Last edited:

Yeah Greenville is way way down this year. Haven't scored a point with an average score of 0-44. Averaging only 82 yards of offense and giving up 385 yards a game. Tough year for their staff & kids. From what I saw of their JV & Frosh teams there is not a lot coming up either. No reflection on their staff, which did a great job last year. You have to have some Jimmy's & Joe's & Greenville doesn't right now.

Last edited:
Great comeback. This IS a different Stebbins. They don't give up when down. Balanced attack. QB is efficient in both the pass/run & a couple of good RB's to rotate in. Xenia, who was up 16-3, lost the game on a coaching decision just before the half when they chose to go for it on 4th & 7. With just over two minutes left they turned the ball over at midfield instead of punting Stebbins deep. Stebbins made the Bucs pay for giving them a short field and drove in the score just before half. Then, with the gained momentum, scored again on the opening drive of the 2nd half. That coaching mistake was the turning point in the game.
I was watching with my dad and we were talking about how Smitherman was making all of the same puzzling and frustrating decisions/mistakes that we loathed when he was at Stebbins. Xenia absolutely was in position to win that one, but those little moments add up!

Piqua has looked like the best team in the MVL from what I've seen so far this season. I think they've already cleared their biggest hurdle in beating Troy. While both teams are 3-0, I think Piqua handles Stebbins pretty easily.
Yep, I think Piqua could end up in a big playoff game this year. Depending on how the regions shape up that could be La Salle, Winton Woods, Toledo Central Catholic... could be an opportunity for a statement game to remind the rest of the state that Piqua can hang!
I do think Piqua wins next Friday, but I am also confident in saying Stebbins will not roll over at the first adversity, which will be nice to see. Last year's game Stebbins jumped out to a 10-0 lead and couldn't keep it up, and lost 27-10. I don't think this year's game will look like that, at least.

Kind of off topic, but I’m curious? Who does the stats for the teams? Because every week all the schools put out the box scores immediately and Troy is always last to do it and sometimes they don’t even do one at all. It’s a bit aggravating

Kind of off topic, but I’m curious? Who does the stats for the teams? Because every week all the schools put out the box scores immediately and Troy is always last to do it and sometimes they don’t even do one at all. It’s a bit aggravating

I agree this becomes very annoying for fans. I don't know who is in charge of submitting stats at Troy but they do not do their job very well.

I agree this becomes very annoying for fans. I don't know who is in charge of submitting stats at Troy but they do not do their job very well.
It’s horrible. Back in the day you could always rely on the newspaper to have a nice article and stats as well. Nowadays your lucky to even get a few paragraphs in the paper.

Even Tipp has 3-4 seniors who will go on to play college football after this year. Most years Tipp sends a few kids to play ball after high school. But they haven’t had the numbers like they did in 2013 when they had nearly 10 guys go on to play in college

Updated my personal power rankings...Stebbins with another very close win makes it a virtual tie for 4th with Tipp, who were unlucky to have a canceled game this week. Not much movement otherwise!
1. Piqua (3-0)
2. Fairborn (2-0)
3. Troy (2-1)
4. Stebbins (3-0)
4 1/2. Tipp (2-0)
6. Xenia (0-3)
7. Sidney (1-2)
8. WC (0-2)
9. Butler (0-3)
10. Greenville (0-3)

Looking to week 4, the Piqua-Stebbins game could really cement Piqua as head and shoulders above everyone else. I am very interested in Troy-Tipp, there is so much to learn about both of those teams: Tipp beat 2 teams having very tough years and Troy may be fully back on track after the Piqua game. Also, either Butler or Greenville gets their first W this week, so that's nice as it could be their only one this season. I really don't know what to expect from Sidney @ Xenia, the Bucs are talented and have size but make costly mistakes and bad decisions, and the Yellow Jackets are my leading candidate for see-saw team of the season with a blowout win, a tough and close loss, and then a loss to a playoff caliber non-conference team that included 4 Sidney giveaways.

Last edited:
Butler finally played a good game this year. Hats off to the coaches they got the kids to play hard. Troy has some big big boys on offense. Now the schedule gets easier so lets get some wins.

The HOME team is responsible for uploading the game statistics immediately following the game, but either team can go in later & make corrections per video analysis. Each team has a statistician & spotters with a laptop in the press box. They input the stats each play into a program that both the MVL & GWOC use which transfers automatically to the League websites once it is uploaded at the end of the game. Stats can be reviewed and taken off of game video for corrections like tackles & assist, etc; over the weekend and then inputted into the database to correct them on the League Website. Not sure how many teams actually review video and correct stats but Fairborn does & I know at least a couple of other teams do. Tackles & Assist are notoriously way off & often fumble recoveries or forced fumbles can be wrong. Sometimes the wrong number is entered for a QB, RB or WR but not often. The naked eye, even with binoculars do not get the tackles & assist anywhere near 100% correct.

Troy would blow the doors off Fairborn I’m just saying. However as much as it pains me to say, Piqua is the best so far. They deserve it.

I think a Fairborn-Troy game would be a very good and a close game just like it was last year in Troy's 9-7 victory at Troy. Troy won that one, avoiding overtime in the last 10 seconds or so of the game, by blocking a Fairborn punt through the end zone for a safety. Fairborn is far better than they were last year with starters returning at 18 of 22 positions and a year of experience in the Wing T under their belts. The opening win over Xenia could have easily been 28-0 if it weren't for a 14 point turnaround on a Xenia 99 yard fumble return when the Skyhawks had a 1st & goal at the one. I agree that Piqua is looking very strong and that Troy is still up there. The 0-4 turnover deficit killed Troy in their Piqua game.

Last edited:
Wasnt impressed with Troy. They are really big and talented but Butler is 0-3 and it was 7-7 at half.
Butler is a better team than what they showed in the first two games. They are actually a dangerous team to play now that they have last years starting QB Mitchell back playing QB full time. He didn't play against Tipp at all and only played half the game at QB against Piqua. He is not prone to throwing interceptions like the second string QB, who had "7" in a game & a half, and he has a very good completion percentage. He also can run unlike the other guy. Had a very nice 80 yard scoring drive on that last possession against Troy. I feel Butler would have won the Tipp game if they had Mitchell at QB instead of the second stringer throwing 5 Int's with one returned for a Td. I think anyone that overlooks Butler now does so at their own risk.

Last edited:
Updated my personal power rankings...Stebbins with another very close win makes it a virtual tie for 4th with Tipp, who were unlucky to have a canceled game this week. Not much movement otherwise!
1. Piqua (3-0)
2. Fairborn (2-0)
3. Troy (3-0)
4. Stebbins (3-0)
4 1/2. Tipp (2-0)
6. Xenia (0-3)
7. Sidney (1-2)
8. WC (0-2)
9. Butler (0-3)
10. Greenville (0-3)

Looking to week 4, the Piqua-Stebbins game could really cement Piqua as head and shoulders above everyone else. I am very interested in Troy-Tipp, there is so much to learn about both of those teams: Tipp beat 2 teams having very tough years and Troy may be fully back on track after the Piqua game. Also, either Butler or Greenville gets their first W this week, so that's nice as it could be their only one this season. I really don't know what to expect from Sidney @ Xenia, the Bucs are talented and have size but make costly mistakes and bad decisions, and the Yellow Jackets are my leading candidate for see-saw team of the season with a blowout win, a tough and close loss, and then a loss to a playoff caliber non-conference team that included 4 Sidney giveaways.
Troy is 2-1 but I know you know that.

Bonifay re-vamped the offensive coaching staff heading in to this year. David Hickey is the WR coach...a former Stebbins QB and standout athlete who played ball at UU. And added Springfield Northwestern's OC that helped get them to the playoffs.
I like Hickey. Good kid.

Reactions: DJH
Butler was the home team vs Troy so it is incumbent upon Butler to load the stats following the game to the League website. Troy may need to contact Butler about it or offer to load the stats from Troy's laptop if Butler had a problem. That is providing Troy sent their stat crew to the game at Butler. It's already Tuesday. Stats should have been uploaded to the website long before now. If Butler had a problem with their laptop or something, & Troy did not have their crew there, it is not hard to take the stats off the game video and then load them straight to the website, bypassing the laptop program. Just have to log into the sidtools site, go to the scheduled game and click on the edit game button & enter stats.

Last edited: