2020 MVL Football

TIG, Ballboy, Rooster, In The Wave, etc. any major coaching changes? Additions? Anyone leave for other jobs?

TIG, Ballboy, Rooster, In The Wave, etc. any major coaching changes? Additions? Anyone leave for other jobs?
Fairborn has all coaches coming back & added four more for a total of 10 paid Varsity coaches. Eight of the coaches are teachers etc; and in the hallways daily which is a plus, especially for the weight room. Kerns hired former Fairborn Head Coach Roy Thobe as the DB Coach & pass defense coordinator under the DC Derry. He will also coordinate College Recruiting. He had recently coached safeties at Centerville. He also hired former Springfield Catholic Head Coach Mike McKenna as the QB Coach. McKenna has experience in both the Wing T & Spread as an OC. He added Jarrod Smith as the O-Line Coach moving Coach Spain to Outside Backers under Derry. Smith is a former Fairborn standout that played on both sides of the line for the Indiana Hoosiers. Finally, he added Rob Price as the OC & RB Coach. Price previously coached in Maryland. Kerns had acted as OC last season. Matt Smith, a former Skyhawk & Tecumseh Coach will coach the DL and Nick Bandstra has WR's & Special Teams. Mike Blandino, Assistant HC, wil head up the JV among other duties.

Last edited:
As far as I know, nothing notable is going to change for Greenville this coming season. It's rare to have a new coach and get them to the brink of a playoff berth from the get go. I hope it's a sign of some stability in the coming years.

As far as I know, nothing notable is going to change for Greenville this coming season. It's rare to have a new coach and get them to the brink of a playoff berth from the get go. I hope it's a sign of some stability in the coming years.
Appears to be a good coach with a good background.

wish the MVL would switch to 2 or 3 OOC games. makes the season kinda dull in my opinion.

in other words..

Butler head coaching rumors in February? that can't be good.

Why did Stebbins pick up Springfield Northwestern week 1 instead of Carroll? WHO KNOWS!

Piqua lifting during the school day? never heard of that but it can't be an awful thing. allows kids more time to go home and get work done/have a part time job. also gives the kids a break from class.

When will Butler turn things around?

is Fairborn going to be the real deal next season? I'm buying it.

Fairborn RB/LB Hunter Warner is getting some D1 attention. He was "1st Team All Ohio" this season as a Junior at linebacker and the SW Ohio Division 2 "Defensive Player of the Year", even though he didn't get DPOY in the MVL. Also made All State in Baseball. Had over 1000 yds rushing and over 100 tackles this past season. A rare stat combination & rare feat.

One to possibly watch for the future is Caleb Coolman, 6'1 260 Center/Tackle, that started all 10 games as a freshman last season.
Warner is a complete talent for sure. Should have easily gotten DPOY, looks like voters were influenced by some inflated Sack numbers maybe? Regardless, he’s a freak defensively no doubt. Seems to be in the mix on every play. He’s a better version of Tipp’s Cade Beam as an athlete, who I believe is staying local for college ball as a Flyer.

wish the MVL would switch to 2 or 3 OOC games. makes the season kinda dull in my opinion.

in other words..

Butler head coaching rumors in February? that can't be good.

Why did Stebbins pick up Springfield Northwestern week 1 instead of Carroll? WHO KNOWS!

Piqua lifting during the school day? never heard of that but it can't be an awful thing. allows kids more time to go home and get work done/have a part time job. also gives the kids a break from class.

When will Butler turn things around?

is Fairborn going to be the real deal next season? I'm buying it.
What rumors?

This post had me laughing! Pretty much, dead accuracy. And funny thing is that Stebbins got left off, which is perfect and pretty much sums them up because they’re irrelevant. Nice job.
Chuckling at your lack of knowledge
Fairborn has all coaches coming back & added four more for a total of 10 paid Varsity coaches. Eight of the coaches are teachers etc; and in the hallways daily which is a plus, especially for the weight room. Kerns hired former Fairborn Head Coach Roy Thobe as the DB Coach & pass defense coordinator under the DC Derry. He will also coordinate College Recruiting. He had recently coached safeties at Centerville. He also hired former Springfield Catholic Head Coach Mike McKenna as the QB Coach. McKenna has experience in both the Wing T & Spread as an OC. He added Jarrod Smith as the O-Line Coach moving Coach Spain to Outside Backers under Derry. Smith is a former Fairborn standout that played on both sides of the line for the Indiana Hoosiers. Finally, he added Rob Price as the OC & RB Coach. Price previously coached in Maryland. Kerns had acted as OC last season. Matt Smith, a former Skyhawk & Tecumseh Coach will coach the DL and Nick Bandstra has WR's & Special Teams. Mike Blandino, Assistant HC, wil head up the JV among other duties.

Last edited:
Is that supposed to generate some enthusiasm or strike fear into the rest of the MVL ....please

Just replying to the guys question about new coaches, but to answer your question .... Enthusiasm my friend. Been a while since Fairborn had some. How about updating us on your Stebbins team there Ottis instead of sniping .... or is that all you have?

Last edited:
Warner is a complete talent for sure. Should have easily gotten DPOY, looks like voters were influenced by some inflated Sack numbers maybe? Regardless, he’s a freak defensively no doubt. Seems to be in the mix on every play. He’s a better version of Tipp’s Cade Beam as an athlete, who I believe is staying local for college ball as a Flyer.

Yes, I saw where Beam signed with UD. Probably as a linebacker. The front seven were the Flyers only weakness this past season. Anytime your Strong Safety leads the nation in tackles it is not a good thing for anyone except for the SS.

Last edited:
Just replying to the guys question about new coaches, but to answer your question .... Enthusiasm my friend. Been a while since Fairborn had some. How about updating us on your Stebbins team there Ottis instead of sniping .... or is that all you have?
Stebbins are some baaaaad dudes... Literally.

This post had me laughing! Pretty much, dead accuracy. And funny thing is that Stebbins got left off, which is perfect and pretty much sums them up because they’re irrelevant. Nice job.
Tipp baseball has been one of the best programs in the area for quite a while. But you’re right, their sports programs are underwhelming right now. I unfortunately think the Burgbachers will get the program turned around soon. Remember his first year at Troy? Really really bad.

I disagree. If you do the research, volleyball, girls basketball, both their cross country teams (who have had numerous 2nd state finishes and a state title), and their soccer teams (one won state this year) are beating teams in their league that are 1.5-3 times their size. Im surprised Tippisgreat hasn't pointed this out (or maybe he has...this thread is getting long and off topic from the title).

I disagree. If you do the research, volleyball, girls basketball, both their cross country teams (who have had numerous 2nd state finishes and a state title), and their soccer teams (one won state this year) are beating teams in their league that are 1.5-3 times their size. Im surprised Tippisgreat hasn't pointed this out (or maybe he has...this thread is getting long and off topic from the title).

That’s kind of the point. You start one conversation and it molds itself into something else entirely...it helps if you stir the pot. TIG loves it.

Let’s get back on track, address a usual favorite to battle for...a winning season.

Have we seen Nees and Piqua football come to the realization that they are quite possibly on the verge of complete mediocrity? Wasn’t their last playoff game a loss to the canoe’s that hail from thy village of tipp?
Or
Is there light at the end of this tunnel where gasping to get to 6-4/7-3, will become thumping people with an old school offense that can project a one loss regular season?

Yes, Tipp City is a girls sports and soccer, running school. No one disagrees with that, this is the Football forum.

Yes, Tipp City is a girls sports and soccer, running school. No one disagrees with that, this is the Football forum.
Yeah except your leaving a lot out as it seems we are a boys and girls soccer, volleyball, boys and girls cross country, boys and girls golf, girls tennis, boys and girls basketball, and girls swimming and baseball school. Tipp’s won the conference/Division in each of those sports at least once in the last 3 years. Out of the 16 sports between fall and winter Tipp has won the MVL in 8 of them. Utter dominance. Football will catch up soon enough. Tipp’s girls basketball team hasn’t lost to anyone in the current MVL in over 5 years. Tipp has the best athletic program in the conference and they are the smallest school. Football’s been down but not 1-9, 2-8 down. Burgbacher will have Tipp winning soon enough

Right, Football way down. Girls way up. Got it.
14-16 over 3 years isn’t way down. Way down is going 10-30 over 4 seasons. You seem to forgot that from 2012 to 2015 Troy went 10-30. Then they got a coach who turned it around, guess what, now that coach is at Tipp