2020 MVL Football

Oof my Indians came back down to earth. I was not terribly impressed with the other Indians in the first half, but turning the ball over to Piqua five times is not advisable. A nice balanced offense and a few big plays led to the rout.

Also the Piqua YouTube stream was of such high video quality. Very impressive.
Yeah they were streaming at 1080p quality. Depends on what you are going through. Boxcast which Fairborn uses will only load at 720p.

Yeah, I think they thought is was a fumble also. The game video never lies though. You can slow it down to step motion and do a real good critique job on the Refs ... LOL.
Yeah, it was just interesting that they would call it a fumble on the field, then somehow decide after the fact to change the call. Didn't have a major impact on the outcome though.

Yeah, it was just interesting that they would call it a fumble on the field, then somehow decide after the fact to change the call. Didn't have a major impact on the outcome though.
Yeah. I will be interested to see that play in HUDL when we get the game video. I will give some of the Ref crews credit though. They have asked on occasions for game video to review and critique themselves.

Piqua beat Stebbins 27-0.... Stebbins really only threatened to score I think twice. Some quick take away's from myself. I was impressed with Stebbins as a team. What became obvious as the game went along was they was not used to being hit like Piqua was hitting them. The Stebbins QB is a player and is very..very good, he is elusive and quick. I think if this program has a decent feeder program they can become pretty decent.
Yep, this Stebbins team may end up 3-3 but the attitudes are so much better than in year's past. This game felt like a better game than last year's (27-10 loss in Riverside) I think because at no point did Stebbins completely give up. That has plagued the program for...well at least since I moved to Ohio in 2003, and from my review of the team's history, for all but ~2-3 out of 59 seasons.

The QB Keller comes back as a senior next year, with three years starting under his belt. If there's any chance to really compete for a league title, it might be next season.

This week taught us a few things: Tipp is very good and Piqua is elite. Lucky for MVL fans that they play next week! We also saw Butler put together the pieces to get a 'W' (despite three more INTs). And Sidney ground out a gritty win over Xenia to get back to .500.

My updated power rankings:
1. Piqua (4-0)
2. Fairborn (2-0)
3. Tipp (3-0)
4. Troy (2-2)
5. Stebbins (3-1)
6. Sidney (2-2)
7. Xenia (0-4)
8. WC (0-2)
9. Butler (1-3)
10. Greenville (0-4)

I know, I know, Tipp has been very good and Fairborn has been idle and has not played a truly tough opponent yet. We'll see next week how Fairborn responds in a rivalry game against a better-than-expected Stebbins team and Tipp will get to make their case for #1 when they host Piqua.
At the bottom of the table, Greenville found the end zone this week but now they have a trip over to Troy, so I am expecting them to remain in the 10 slot. Butler was better, but still turned the ball over a lot against a team they could have broken out against.

This week taught us a few things: Tipp is very good and Piqua is elite. Lucky for MVL fans that they play next week! We also saw Butler put together the pieces to get a 'W' (despite three more INTs). And Sidney ground out a gritty win over Xenia to get back to .500.

1. Piqua (4-0)
2. Fairborn (2-0)
3. Tipp (3-0)
4. Troy (2-2)
5. Stebbins (3-1)
6. Sidney (2-2)
7. Xenia (0-4)
8. WC (0-2)
9. Butler (1-3)
10. Greenville (0-4)

I know, I know, Tipp has been very good and Fairborn has been idle and has not played a truly tough opponent yet. We'll see next week how Fairborn responds in a rivalry game against a better-than-expected Stebbins team and Tipp will get to make their case for #1 when they host Piqua.
At the bottom of the table, Greenville found the end zone this week but now they have a trip over to Troy, so I am expecting them to remain in the 10 slot. Butler was better, but still turned the ball over a lot against a team they could have broken out against.
I agree with everything you said. I still think Tipp has to prove themselves against Piqua, and Fairborn. I think Piqua is the most talented team and Fairborn is just so well coached it will be fun to see how it all plays out.

I agree with everything you said. I still think Tipp has to prove themselves against Piqua, and Fairborn. I think Piqua is the most talented team and Fairborn is just so well coached it will be fun to see how it all plays out.

1. Piqua (4-0)
2. Fairborn (2-0)
3. Tipp (3-0)
4. Troy (2-2)
5. Stebbins (3-1)
6. Sidney (2-2)
7. Xenia (0-4)
8. WC (0-2)
9. Butler (1-3)
10. Greenville (0-4)

Piqua is not elite in the larger context of the Miami Valley football scene. I do not see them competing with top teams from other leagues.

Piqua is not elite in the larger context of the Miami Valley football scene. I do not see them competing with top teams from other leagues.

Top teams from other leagues in the Miami Valley area like who? GWOC is all D1, so that doesn't really matter for the sake of comparison. SWBL is D3 and below, and I'd say that Piqua and Bellbrook would be a good game. Not sure what your point is.

Top teams from other leagues in the Miami Valley area like who? GWOC is all D1, so that doesn't really matter for the sake of comparison. SWBL is D3 and below, and I'd say that Piqua and Bellbrook would be a good game. Not sure what your point is.
If we are comparing similar sized schools in the area like Tecumseh, Bellbrook, Franklin, Dunbar, and Alter then I’d say Alter is the only team outside of the conference that is D2 or D3 that is better than Piqua, Fairborn, Troy and Tipp

What other top teams from other leagues are you talking about? They would wreck anyone in the SWBL and CBC besides maybe London or Jonathan Alder. The GWOC are all D1 schools

Well...if you look at D2 in the area, the area schools are in region 8, the R8 teams with winning records are Piqua (4-0), Fairborn (2-0), and Stebbins (3-1). I left out the Cincy schools since they aren't really Miami Valley, in my opinion.
D3 R12 has of course Tipp (3-0), but also Bellbrook (4-0), Badin (4-0), Franklin (3-1), Alter (2-2), St Marys (2-2), and Trotwood (0-0 - plays Ponitz today!) all in the area.

Piqua (definitely if they beat Tipp next week) should lay claim to the top spot in D2 in the Miami Valley, and should be at the top of the convo if you include some of those very good D3 schools. Of course comparing them to Northmont, Wayne, and Springfield is a mismatch, but I don't think that changes my mind on their position as the best equipped to beat the Cincy area schools in Region 8 (La Salle, Winton Woods, Kings, Anderson, Turpin)

Let us see what Piqua does in the playoffs and revisit this. I do not see a run, hence not elite.

If we are comparing similar sized schools in the area like Tecumseh, Bellbrook, Franklin, Dunbar, and Alter then I’d say Alter is the only team outside of the conference that is D2 or D3 that is better than Piqua, Fairborn, Troy and Tipp
Alter is having a down year compared to their standards. Of course they always have talent, just do not appear to be up to their standards this season.

I'm honestly not surprised Tipp was able to knock off Troy. Ever since Tipp joined the GWOC, they've found a way to be competitive in most games with everyone in the conference each season, outside of very few outliers.

Specifically with Troy, Tipp has managed to be competitive through at least the first half every time they've played:

2020 - 30-26 Tipp win - obviously competitive
2019 - 14-7 Troy win - 1 score game
2018 - 49-14 Troy win - only 21-14 at the half, so it was clearly competitive until the 3rd quarter
2017 - 28-13 Troy win - Tipp was up 13-0 at the half, so also a competitive game overall
2016 - 35-7 Troy win - only 14-7 at the half

So over the course of 5 years, Tipp has kept it interesting the entire game 3 times, and in the other 2 kept it competitive at least through halftime. Troy is clearly more talented year in and year out, but they should be because they're a much bigger school.

Tipp has similarly played Piqua close pretty much every year, and oddly enough also hasn't beaten them since joining the GWOC (but Tipp did beat Piqua 37-12 in the 2015 playoffs the year before they joined the GWOC). It'll be interesting to see if Tipp can keep that same trend against Piqua, going up against one of Piqua's better teams in recent years.

Let us see what Piqua does in the playoffs and revisit this. I do not see a run, hence not elite.

Piqua will not have a deep run in the playoffs. They should do "OK" in the early rounds but that's about it. They have too many kids going both ways to be able to run deep.

What other top teams from other leagues are you talking about? They would wreck anyone in the SWBL and CBC besides maybe London or Jonathan Alder. The GWOC are all D1 schools
Wreck Bellbrook? Wreck Franklin? Wreck Valley View?
Seriously. I don't think so.

Let me get this straight, bellbrook beat the piss out of Fairborn for 6-7 years straight , split with tipp city in a home to home just 2-3 years ago and has always played Xenia , alter and others in OOC play but now that this Miami valley league has been created your all premier and better ? You guys are delusional . Franklin beat the hell out of Piqua 2 straight years and Piqua backed out of that series .
your teams are the same teams , they look better because now your playing each other and not in the gwoc getting beat down every other week when you play bigger tougher teams across conference (imagine that)
DELUSIONAL

Tbh with you the only team I have any respect for is tipp , they went from smaller ball and adjusted to compete with all of the same teams that claim to be world beaters over there .
not to mention everyone of your teams ran from trotwood. Their D3 , dont want to play ??

Don’t worry time time will eventually shift bellbrook your way , then when your losing to one of the smaller schools in the league we will revisit this .

DELUSIONAL
they look better because now your playing each other and not in the gwoc getting beat down every other week when you play bigger tougher teams across conference
not to mention everyone of your teams ran from trotwood. Their D3 , dont want to play ??
My post was D2-centirc. When I look at Piqua this season I think they look the best in the Miami Valley in division II and that they would absolutely be in the conversation for best across D2/D3. Tipp, Bellbrook, Franklin, Alter, Badin, C-J (not this season), Trotwood are all D3 Miami Valley schools that would compete with the best D2 teams in the MVL year in and year out, and beat them maybe as often as they lose. I would still start the conversation of best Miami Valley team in D2/D3 with Piqua in 2020.

Most of the schools in the now MVL only had one D1 school on the schedule in the GWOC. Butler played rival Northmont, Stebbins played old MML foe Lebanon, etc. Xenia and Fairborn I think had seasons where they played 2. So I think it is unfair to say the one or two crossovers with the big boys had a significant impact on the teams' fates.

I was not close the Trotwood decision, but it was an interesting one that certainly spun up conspiracy theories. I do feel bad for them trying to put schedules together. Similar to Winton Woods in my mind.

This PIqua team is pretty good. Definitely an upgrade in talent from what they have had the last several years. Especially at the skill positions. It's a good blend of both younger talent and senior leadership. Although the offense is improved and more diverse it is the defensive side of the ball that is having a strong year through 4 games. If Hicks was not out with injury the front 4 would be scary good. Even without him they are very strong up front. Corners and safety are solid and the linebackers play disciplined although at times have issues containing a mobile/running quarterback. On offense they have two big wide receivers and several running backs that are all capable of running the ball. Pair this with a young threat at a quarterback who makes good decisions and can complete a ball anywhere on the field makes this an entertaining and explosive offense. Nees had a lot to work with year and the results so far show that. I am not saying they are elite(at least not yet) but they are a dangerous team and are only getting better each week. The defense can keep them in any ball game and the offense is a threat to score anytime. We will see what happens at Tipp City this week.

Tbh with you the only team I have any respect for is tipp , they went from smaller ball and adjusted to compete with all of the same teams that claim to be world beaters over there .

Bellbrook goes 7-3 in 2017 and 8-2 in 2019, yet doesnt make the playoffs....

And you are lecturing us?

Good luck vs Monroe and Eaton, must be tough.

Franklin beat the hell out of Piqua 2 straight years and Piqua backed out of that series .

This guy really likes to push the "the other team was scared and backed out" narrative, even though the schools pretty obviously agreed to a 2 game series and nothing more than that.

They didn't agree to play each other indefinitely. That just doesn't happen outside of historical rivalries. But I get it, this guy has to make sure to spin it to fit his opinion.

This guy really likes to push the "the other team was scared and backed out" narrative, even though the schools pretty obviously agreed to a 2 game series and nothing more than that.

They didn't agree to play each other indefinitely. That just doesn't happen outside of historical rivalries. But I get it, this guy has to make sure to spin it to fit his opinion.
Speaking especially of the "historical rivalries" that get played even when the teams are in different conferences, does anyone know what happened in 2005 that led to no Stebbins vs Fairborn game? If you count the '72-'81 games versus Fairborn Baker, the rivalry was uninterrupted from 1962 up until 2005.