2020 Mid-State League

The Dock

Persona Non Grata
Any thoughts?

Anyone standing in the way of Harvest Prep repeating an undefeated campaign in the MSL-Ohio?

Does Worthington Christian continue on the momentum of last year’s significant season?

Wide open in the Buckeye? Does the return of Tennyson Varney to HT put the Rangers in a position to return at the top?

Prep only gets beat in the league, if they play a really bad game.
Worthington Christian as DJ. Moore, the best player in the league, but will need a QB to get the ball to him.
The Buckeye will be fun, but I have no guess, as to who will win it.

Fairfield Union hired the D coordinator from DeSales. Still probably a few years away for them.

WC has some pretty good athletes, and a freshman who was QB2 that could do well. I know they’re excited about what’s on the horizon for their program in the next couple years.

Early predictions:

Ohio
1) HP
2) Ready
3) Whitehall
4) Academy
5) Buckeye Valley
6) Grandview
7) LU

Cardinal
1) WC
t2) BU
t2) FC
4) GCC
5) Miller
6) FCA

Buckeye
1) Teays
t2) BC
t2) AC
4) HT
5) Logan Elm
6) Roundtown
7) FU

I expect Ready to take a step forward next season. They were able to take Harvest Prep to OT last season.

Anyone hear any rumor about the CCL disbanding and if so, where St Charles lands? I thought I read there was talk of the MSL.

Does the return of Tennyson Varney to HT put the Rangers in a position to return at the top?
I'm getting old. One minute I was watching him play football and basketball for HT. I blinked, and then Mrs. Z and I were meeting with him during parent-teacher nite to check on our sons' progress in his history class.

I blinked again, and then ......

No predictions, but it sure is fun to think about having Varney at the helm. I'd have to check with green_n_gold76, but I'm guessing he's the first Ranger alumnus to be head coach. Definitely will carry the same aura of anticipation as Nate Hillerich did (who was not an HT grad, but still a legacy because of his dad).

I'm getting old. One minute I was watching him play football and basketball for HT. I blinked, and then Mrs. Z and I were meeting with him during parent-teacher nite to check on our sons' progress in his history class.

I blinked again, and then ......

No predictions, but it sure is fun to think about having Varney at the helm. I'd have to check with green_n_gold76, but I'm guessing he's the first Ranger alumnus to be head coach. Definitely will carry the same aura of anticipation as Nate Hillerich did (who was not an HT grad, but still a legacy because of his dad).
Good post, Z. I for one hope Lord Tennyson’s first year back with the Rathmell Rangers is anything but a Charge of the Light Brigade.

Oof. It’s only January. Still got some months for me to work on the cliché’s. Don’t want to Wade in murky waters.

I know the most about the Ohio Division.
Its is Harvest Prep to lose. Should be favorite to win the State if they remain in Division VII but could jump to Division VI depending on competitive balance numbers.
Ready, Whitehall should battle for 2nd. Whitehall will have athletes to compete with Harvest Prep but ...
Academy should lead the 2nd tier of the league. Buckeye Valley will be improved with there 1st year in the league behind them. Liberty Union was young and should be improved. Grandview Hts unfortunately I think will struggle- numbers will be low at Grandview Hts- would not be surprised if they look at going to 8 man the next few years.

2020 Harvest Prep schedule
8/28 Eastmoor Academy
9/04 @ Bishop Hartley
9/11 @ Lucas
9/18 Buckeye Valley
9/25 Columbus Academy
10/02 @ Grandview Hts
10/09 Bexley
10/23 @ Whitehall-Yearling
10/30 @ Liberty Union

2020 Harvest Prep schedule
8/28 Eastmoor Academy
9/04 @ Bishop Hartley
9/11 @ Lucas
9/18 Buckeye Valley
9/25 Columbus Academy
10/02 @ Grandview Hts
10/09 Bexley
10/23 @ Whitehall-Yearling
10/30 @ Liberty Union

Looks like the game with Columbus Ready is missing on 10/16.

Its is Harvest Prep to lose. Should be favorite to win the State if they remain in Division VII but could jump to Division VI depending on competitive balance numbers.
Ready, Whitehall should battle for 2nd. Whitehall will have athletes to compete with Harvest Prep but ...
Academy should lead the 2nd tier of the league. Buckeye Valley will be improved with there 1st year in the league behind them. Liberty Union was young and should be improved. Grandview Hts unfortunately I think will struggle- numbers will be low at Grandview Hts- would not be surprised if they look at going to 8 man the next few years.

Does Harvest Prep return a lot? Prep won a lot of games that came down to the wire last year. The first 3 games for them are going to be difficult. Not to mention Ready and Whitehall in back to back weeks toward the latter half of the season.

Does Harvest Prep return a lot? Prep won a lot of games that came down to the wire last year. The first 3 games for them are going to be difficult. Not to mention Ready and Whitehall in back to back weeks toward the latter half of the season.
My contacts at HP tell me they’re anticipating their 2020 team to be their best in program history.

A lot of teams like Amanda Clearcreek and the Boom Carroll are losing really good seniors. What is the out look for that part of the MSL

A lot of teams like Amanda Clearcreek and the Boom Carroll are losing really good seniors. What is the out look for that part of the MSL
My first impression is ‘more of the same.’ Circleville and FU still in the cellar, Logan Elm doesn’t have what it takes to be in top half contention. Not as sure with HT, to be honest. Bloom graduates a great class, but they’re anticipating big numbers (70 players, I’m told) these next couple years. They have middle school classes with 25-30 a grade. AC might be in that 3 or 4 spot.

My first impression is ‘more of the same.’ Circleville and FU still in the cellar, Logan Elm doesn’t have what it takes to be in top half contention. Not as sure with HT, to be honest. Bloom graduates a great class, but they’re anticipating big numbers (70 players, I’m told) these next couple years. They have middle school classes with 25-30 a grade. AC might be in that 3 or 4 spot.
That is a lot for Bloom. Good for them. I saw Granville plays Bloom. That should be a interesting game

That is a lot for Bloom. Good for them. I saw Granville plays Bloom. That should be a interesting game
Yep. Granville v Bloom should be a good contest. Got Granville -10, in a Way Too Early prediction.

Bloom-Carroll officials anticipate BC being a Division III school in football by the 2022 season. Place has grown!

Harvest Prep had I think 6 kids that could not play the 2nd of season because of the transfer rules. Those 6 were starters or played a lot. If I remember right one was a QB, another a running back and possibly a receiver. So they are well stocked and I am sure they will get more transfers by the time school starts.

Here’s an interesting off-season question: if the originally proposed expansion of the statewide voucher plan does in fact happen, what are short-term and long-term effects on some of the MSL programs?

Bloom graduates a great class, but they’re anticipating big numbers (70 players, I’m told) these next couple years. They have middle school classes with 25-30 a grade. AC might be in that 3 or 4 spot.

I remember hearing that BC has open enrollment. When did that start, and are they drawing a significant number of non-residents from a particular area, say, Lancaster? If it was a district strategy to combat dwindling population, it sounds like it's been quite effective.

I remember hearing that BC has open enrollment. When did that start, and are they drawing a significant number of non-residents from a particular area, say, Lancaster? If it was a district strategy to combat dwindling population, it sounds like it's been quite effective.
I believe BC has been open enrollment since 2000. In recent years the district has been a lot tighter on the open enrollment, not unlike Fairfield Union. Generally there is/would be enrollees from Lancaster and Baltimore, as well as the Canal Winchester and to a lesser extent Pickerington districts. But the district is just growing in general, with plenty of real estate built closer and closer to arteries of Route 33.

you must have forgotten about the MAC.

did i pick Harvest Prep to get to the state championship? yes. but did i pick them to beat Marion Local/Fort Loramie? absolutely not. sorry Harvest and every other D7 school, your chances of knocking off the MAC/Fort Loramie in the playoffs are slim to none.

you must have forgotten about the MAC.
I have not forgotten about the MAC. Marion Local is also a favorite to win the State Championship in 2020. I was not saying Harvest Prep was the only team that would be a State Championship favorite but they will be one of the favorites.

What are some thoughts on the Cardinal? Worthington Christian would appear to be the early favorite, but will DJ Moore (who could possibly have a healthy amount of college basketball offers soon) come out and play football in 2020? If not, then the gap between WC and BU/FC looks closer.

I guess the Mid State League had a Football Relignment Committee that was looking at how the Mid State League should move forward- it was decided I guess after bringing up 3 to 5 realignment options to leave the current realignment as is with no changes at this time. Read this on a school board meeting notes of one the Mid State League member school website.

I guess the Mid State League had a Football Relignment Committee that was looking at how the Mid State League should move forward- it was decided I guess after bringing up 3 to 5 realignment options to leave the current realignment as is with no changes at this time. Read this on a school board meeting notes of one the Mid State League member school website.
The moribund EdChoice expansion screwed any potential for Grandview Heights to shift down. Thanks, Ohio GOP.

Probably for the best. There doesn’t appear to be any glaring competitive balance issues at current, aside from what could be a Grandview Heights decline over time. I’m sure Coach Peters would like to change divisions. I’m sure the Grandview athletic department have a different opinion about football staying in the Ohio. Fairfield Union doesn’t care any more: they know scores of Ashvillians will sojourn on their longboats and knorrs alike every other year to their place and drop plenty of cash on the Falconburgers, 40-point drubbing be damned.

To paraphrase a famous hip-hop adage, “C.R.E.A.M(SL).”

Fairfield Union doesn’t care any more: they know scores of Ashvillians will sojourn on their longboats and knorrs alike every other year to their place and drop plenty of cash on the Falconburgers, 40-point drubbing be damned.
Now Alec Baldwin knows what's in their wallet!