2020 Mid-State League

Zunardo

Fisher v. Worthington Christian on 10/1 will be a Thursday night game. Possible TV game?
I thought the Thursday scheduling might be due to WC's "home" field not being available on Friday. Neither school has their own stadium, do they?

The Dock

I thought the Thursday scheduling might be due to WC's "home" field not being available on Friday. Neither school has their own stadium, do they?
WC actually does have their own on-campus facility. Seems like it could be a good possibility it could get played on TV... relatively new program coming off their first playoff appearance, could benefit from the excitement and spotlight of being the only show in town for the night.

The Dock

Heard that Grove City Christian may be looking to leave the league and return to the MOCAL?
I don’t see this likely unless the MOCAL is already going to expand. There isn’t much for them in that league as is. Is there a push factor that would make them consider leaving the MSL? Probably not. The travel per mileage is going up simply out of expansion (added trips to Zanesville Rosecrans and Southern Perry), but their gate revenue is nothing to sneeze at thanks to the MSL - plus, the school makes money in renting their facilities out. I don’t think the school is motivated by wins or losses, either.

bsee54321

I don’t see this likely unless the MOCAL is already going to expand. There isn’t much for them in that league as is. Is there a push factor that would make them consider leaving the MSL? Probably not. The travel per mileage is going up simply out of expansion (added trips to Zanesville Rosecrans and Southern Perry), but their gate revenue is nothing to sneeze at thanks to the MSL - plus, the school makes money in renting their facilities out. I don’t think the school is motivated by wins or losses, either.
The MOCAL does not have any teams with football so it would be possible for GCC to move to MOCAL in all sports except football. The MSL has already show this would be an option because Columbus Ready plays a MSL Ohio Division schedule but not eligible for league title or ALL League teams. Why would GCC want to do this-Travel. MSL Cardinal has added Miller so travel for league games go from southern Perry County to Muskingum County to southeast and northcentral Franklin County. GCC is somewhat competitive in the MSL Cardinal. This could also be the reason to look at going back to the MOCAL. Revenue would probably go down a bit but GCC is more looking at its expenses and competitiveness.

The Dock

The MOCAL does not have any teams with football so it would be possible for GCC to move to MOCAL in all sports except football. The MSL has already show this would be an option because Columbus Ready plays a MSL Ohio Division schedule but not eligible for league title or ALL League teams. Why would GCC want to do this-Travel. MSL Cardinal has added Miller so travel for league games go from southern Perry County to Muskingum County to southeast and northcentral Franklin County. GCC is somewhat competitive in the MSL Cardinal. This could also be the reason to look at going back to the MOCAL. Revenue would probably go down a bit but GCC is more looking at its expenses and competitiveness.
I'm curious what role "competitiveness" plays for them in their athletic philosophy and approach going forward from both the perspective of their leaders and community. If there was an emphasis on results, then they're in a league with like-minded peers but one that at least half of their programs don't fare well in. If the philosophy is rooted in "athletics and activities can provide formidable life lessons, thus the scoreboard takes a back seat", which is by all means a fair and respectable approach that encapsulates measurable success as the product of individual effort and maybe a good coach, then staying or going seems pretty equal. GCC could also have that "results matter (to an extent)" approach, take that to the MOCAL and be far more successful in titles and W's. Does "athletics as a selling point" to prospective families and GCC mix? If so, what league makes more sense for them? GCC may or may not care about the additional travel costs they'll accrue with staying in the MSL, because in addition to the ticket sales they also make some half-way decent money out of their rentals. But the parents might care, especially with junior high travel and travel in the winter time.

I know that they've changed athletic directors recently (their current AD incidentally is a former MOCAL person), so I'm sure it's a bit of an adjustment with the wide swath of travel and schools to work with. I'm sure there are a couple coaches (baseball, basketball) that may think the MSL is still the way to go since those programs have demonstrated success league-wise in the past. There is a prevailing opinion in the MSL that GCC is great to work with, the fans/parents are good and that it's a school & athletics program with a high ceiling.

bsee54321

I'm curious what role "competitiveness" plays for them in their athletic philosophy and approach going forward from both the perspective of their leaders and community. If there was an emphasis on results, then they're in a league with like-minded peers but one that at least half of their programs don't fare well in. If the philosophy is rooted in "athletics and activities can provide formidable life lessons, thus the scoreboard takes a back seat", which is by all means a fair and respectable approach that encapsulates measurable success as the product of individual effort and maybe a good coach, then staying or going seems pretty equal. GCC could also have that "results matter (to an extent)" approach, take that to the MOCAL and be far more successful in titles and W's. Does "athletics as a selling point" to prospective families and GCC mix? If so, what league makes more sense for them? GCC may or may not care about the additional travel costs they'll accrue with staying in the MSL, because in addition to the ticket sales they also make some half-way decent money out of their rentals. But the parents might care, especially with junior high travel and travel in the winter time.

I know that they've changed athletic directors recently (their current AD incidentally is a former MOCAL person), so I'm sure it's a bit of an adjustment with the wide swath of travel and schools to work with. I'm sure there are a couple coaches (baseball, basketball) that may think the MSL is still the way to go since those programs have demonstrated success league-wise in the past. There is a prevailing opinion in the MSL that GCC is great to work with, the fans/parents are good and that it's a school & athletics program with a high ceiling.
Your post is very good. GCC is playing schools of similar size in the MSL Cardinal. So my perspective is it has to be a travel issue or competitiveness issue. The MSL has tried to make each division competitive within each division. The big hurdle the last couple years is Harvest Prep basketball. It will interesting to see what happens in the next couple years. If Harvest Prep continues to completely dominate the Cardinal in basketball there will be push to move them to the Ohio Division. Football the move has already been made. I believe GCC hope was to develop in athletics in the major sports as Harvest Prep has but that has not materialized. GCC has had a few basketball and football teams that have been successful. Soccer has also been successful for GCC. In terms of Harvest Prep- outside of Basketball and Football the Warriors other boys programs are middle of road at best.

The Dock

Your post is very good. GCC is playing schools of similar size in the MSL Cardinal. So my perspective is it has to be a travel issue or competitiveness issue. The MSL has tried to make each division competitive within each division. The big hurdle the last couple years is Harvest Prep basketball. It will interesting to see what happens in the next couple years. If Harvest Prep continues to completely dominate the Cardinal in basketball there will be push to move them to the Ohio Division. Football the move has already been made. I believe GCC hope was to develop in athletics in the major sports as Harvest Prep has but that has not materialized. GCC has had a few basketball and football teams that have been successful. Soccer has also been successful for GCC. In terms of Harvest Prep- outside of Basketball and Football the Warriors other boys programs are middle of road at best.
Well with Harvest Prep they just have some really bad boys programs (what's understood doesn't need to be explained). There is also the wholesale "elephant in the room" issue that HP should switch to the Ohio flight of the MSL for all sports because playing Millersport, Berne Union and Fairfield Christian et al in basketball is pretty meaningless for all parties involved. I know there are some (well-meaning, reputable) HP people who say it wasn't their choice to get pushed to the Ohio for football, but in truth going back does nothing for their football program nor the image of the program they want to promote (see where they're playing Eastmoor and Hartley?) Playing Whitehall and other schools inside 270 = good for HP. The adage "out of sight, out of mind" has an entirely correct application in this context. What's a "Millersport?"

GCC has had some great basketball teams, but since their joining of the MSL in 2013 they only have one winning season in football (14.) I believe on the boys side of sports their league title collection is one or two boys basketball, two (or three) splits in baseball and a golf title or too. None on the girls, at least in the team sports. Not a bashing. With football it's a program that is worlds different from their Final Four run in 2008... it's a program that really hasn't been able to do much lately with no real clear direction. My guess is it could be either travel or competitiveness, or trying to think ahead past not only the economic aftershocks of the COVID-19 but also possible ramifications to the EdChoice program? This is one where, outside looking in, I have no idea what any of this would mean for GCC because I'm also not sure to what extent financially the Grove City Church of the Nazarene would go to help stem off any possible losses in enrollment. I believe GCC is still the second largest school in the league, after BU, and there's a little bit of distance between them and the next closest school (Millersport?)

The Dock

very, very odd. you don't see that often. they'll make the playoffs in D5.
Yeah, I'm a little surprised as well but you have to wonder if it would actually be seen as a badge of honor for the program.

Also... Bishop Ready at 160 boys in grades 9-11 this past football season? That seems a lot higher than I thought to be the case.