Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Mentor Cardinals

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • Solon Comets

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Strongsville Mustangs

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
Yes, Brunswick consolidated into one Middle School this year. Construction is not finished, but since all classes are online for at least the 1st nine weeks, the new Middle School should be open by then.

I forgot that Brunswick was building a new middle school. Actually, now that I'm thinking back, last year they didn't do Willets or South either, did Brunswick "Blue" and Brunswick "White."

I do know there is restructuring being looked at in Medina, and part of that also would be to go down to one middle school. Be interesting to see if that happens if Medina would still do two teams or they would follow and go down to one as well.

GCC scores yesterday:

Mentor 37 Medina 19
Euclid 21 Brunswick 14
Elyria 27 Elyria Catholic 7

The Mentor/Medina game was closer than I expected considering with Allar in there, the game was just 23-19 at the half.

I thought Euclid would separate themselves more from Brunswick. Only 21 points with all of that skill out there? Week 1 in a season like this, especially for a team like Euclid who hasn't always been practicing, was going to be a bit sloppy offensively for sure.

Solon will begin play in Week 4. Is Strongsville planning to be back for Week 2?

Last edited:
Mentor essentially won the GCC last night with a win over Euclid. Compared to last season's games (a combined 108-7 in wins over Euclid/Medina), these first two games are a sign that the gap is closing. And unfortunately, I think that gap will continue to get closer and closer in years ahead. If the GCC is subject to fail apart on account of Mentor's dominance (I think it's only a small, small part) - that shouldn't be a factor at all. The elite play they had for most of the past 20 years will not continue IMO. But in the meanwhile, Mentor is still the class of the league.

Scores from yesterday:

Mentor 27 Euclid 12
Brunswick 28 Medina 21
Strongsville 21 Elyria 12

Euclid still has no QB and defensive backs that dont retain what the coaches install for them. Heard that all night long on the sideline. #47 was unblockable.

After three weeks this looks like a down year overall in Greater Cleveland though probably the most parity within the GCC.

Mentor is still on top (and I guess we don't know yet about Solon) but overall it looks like the league may not have a true title contender but from 1-7 is still overall improved from last year.

My take through 3 weeks:

1. Mentor (2-1): While Mentor is is still on top, the gap has closed from a year ago (though not unexpected). But since Solon is out of the picture so far, still the head of the class.

2. Euclid (2-1): beating Cleveland Heights handily was a good way to bounce back after doing next to nothing on offense the first two weeks despite several D1 playmakers. The defense looks good (41 points through 3 games against good competition), but because of several D1 players there as well, that is to be expected.

3. Medina (1-2): yeah, they lost to Mentor, but it was even in the first half before Allar went out. Yeah, they lost to Brunswick with Allar for 4 quarters but he was less than 100 percent (as Brunswick's coach alluded to postgame). But still Medina doubled them in yards. It was a 5-0 turnover margin (4 picks by Allar) and Medina turning it over by downs 3 more times inside the Brunswick 20 that got Brunswick the 28-21 win. Medina is getting healthier and with Elyria next week, should be ready to go once they end with Euclid and Solon.

4. Brunswick (2-1): tough team that has some talent and plays hard. Granted, its almost impossible for the other GCC teams to not play Mentor closer than a year ago, but I think they'll give Mentor a game next week. Won't win, but don't think it'll be a running clock either.

5. Strongsville (1-1): I wasn't expecting much out of them, but for GCC depth sake, they are not a bad team. Just not as good as the others (or Solon) above them. I saw almost all the game tonight against Medina and came away thinking they aren't that far off from Brunswick. The difference was Medina didn't turn the ball over and didn't squander as many scoring opportunities. Yeah, its my alma mater, but I've hardly been a Strongsville booster but ill say its a team that isnt just gonna roll over against Mentor/Euclid/Brunswick.

6. Elyria (1-2): haven't seen them though suspected they would be improved. Probably are but still will lose every GCC game ... just not quite as badly.

*Solon: can't rank them but we'll see how they do next week in their opener against a decent St. Vincent-St. Mary team that will have 3 games under its belt.

Overall, the top 3 have not played as well as expected. The bottom three have been better though. Then there is Solon that would have been up there at the top but has yet to play.

Still the best football league in NE Ohio and top 5 in Ohio despite the top teams not living up to expectations so far.

Suburban league is better this year.

Doubt it. Once Solon gets added to the mix, you could line up the GCC vs top 7 of Suburban. No way would Suburban win the majority.

Mentor/Stow
Euclid/Wadsworth
Solon/Hudson
Medina/Brecksville
Brunswick/Nordonia
Strongsville/North Royalton
Elyria/Twinsburg

But since so many of your other predictions are spot on, maybe you’re right.

Doubt it. Once Solon gets added to the mix, you could line up the GCC vs top 7 of Suburban. No way would Suburban win the majority.

Mentor/Stow
Euclid/Wadsworth
Solon/Hudson
Medina/Brecksville
Brunswick/Nordonia
Strongsville/North Royalton
Elyria/Twinsburg

But since so many of your other predictions are spot on, maybe you’re right.

For what it's worth, Cal Preps agrees with you. GCC is easily a head above or more than most of the leagues in NEO and probably the state.

Mentor 40, Stow 7
Euclid 38, Wadsworth 19
Hudson 35, Solon 28
Medina 34, Brecksville 26
Brunswick 41, Nordonia 28
Strongsville 42, North Royalton 20
Elyria 31, Twinsburg 14

Mentor/ hudson
Eucild/stow
Brecksville/ solon
Brunswick/nordonia
Wadsworth/ medina
Aurora/strongsville
Elyria_/highland
That based on this year strength not cal prep rankings.Right now hudson stow brecksville
nordonia Aurora would win.It might change by end of year.

Cal Preps information has been updated for the current season. The SL didn't fair better with your match ups:

Mentor 40, Hudson 21
Euclid 31, Stow 12
Solon 31, Brecksville 27
Medina 38, Wadsworth 28
Aurora 28, Strongsville 21
Elyria 28, Highland 21

While the scores may not be exact, I can't disagree with the winner predictions.

Enough about the suburban league. It's made up of schools that ran away from the gcc teams. None of.us care about those type of schools anymore.

Don't let doofy sway the thread topic away. He isn't worth arguing with.

Cal Preps information has been updated for the current season. The SL didn't fair better with your match ups:

Mentor 40, Hudson 21
Euclid 31, Stow 12
Solon 31, Brecksville 27
Medina 38, Wadsworth 28
Aurora 28, Strongsville 21
Elyria 28, Highland 21

While the scores may not be exact, I can't disagree with the winner predictions.

Plus thats using the top 7 overall out of a 15 team league against all 7 of the GCC schools.

Enough about the suburban league. It's made up of schools that ran away from the gcc teams. None of.us care about those type of schools anymore.

Don't let doofy sway the thread topic away. He isn't worth arguing with.

Yeah. Every single SL school that was in the NOC was free to stay in the NOC. And every single current SL team (that adds Wadsworth/Barberton) was free to apply to the GCC within the past 6 months. None did.

Several GCC schools applied to the SL and none were accepted. The onus is now on the SL. And like Cardz said (and i agree... add basketball to it in terms of Mentor being not being quite the boogeyman for the near future) can't use that as an excuse anymore. Travel... yeah. But if these SL schools want to step up, they have had plenty of chances (with or without Mentor).

This may be an up year for the Suburban league but its still not on the GCC level.

But anyway, back to GCC conversation.

Last edited:
You lucky dont play Hudson beat mentor again.
They had one year they were better than Mentor. They wouldn't schedule us and ran away from the current gcc. So get out of here with that bs slow mo

Again go talk in your conference thread . Nobody needs your mouth breather input here

Glad Solon is back this week. Too bad they waited so long. Would much rather have them over elyria on our schedule. Will miss the rivalry game this year

Was talking about mentor lol.good luck beating Brunswick lol.
Duh. Hudson killed you guys and you barely beat Barberton while giving up 40 points. I know you are low iq but go back to your thread. If you shoot your mouth off, you're going to get it back at you