2020 Draft

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Nice to finally have something to do with sports on live TV.

Interesting that the top 3 picks were on the same 2017 Buckeyes roster.

Raiders pick the first guy without a camera in his house at 19. That's the first clue you may have picked a guy too early!

Vikings get the WR Jefferson from LSU to replace Diggs and get the CB they needed with Gladney from TCU. Very nice first round for the Vikings! Skol.

Raiders pick the first guy without a camera in his house at 19. That's the first clue you may have picked a guy too early!
Yeah, Damon Arnette was not on any first round mocks that I'm aware of and by my best estimate (when comparing across both the corners drafted after him and who was still on the board at cornerback) he was probably the #7 or #8 CB prospect. Of course, this is the Mike Mayock - Jon Gruden braintrust at work: they did kind of the same potentially embarrassing pick last year when they drafted Clelin Ferrell at #4. Ferrell was a good prospect, but #4 overall was so early for him. Especially since he was outperformed at the other DE position by Maxx Crosby, who they drafted last year in the fourth round.

The draft itself was fun.

The draft coverage though for round 1 was complete garbage.
I actually liked the “virtual” draft set up more than the big production it is in a typical year. I liked Goodell interacting with the fans and I liked all the players being at home with their families and close friends. I just found it to be far more refreshing than the scripted, over the top ego-fest the draft had become.

I am tired of the Covid whatever coverage, was looking for a diversion; thought the draft might provide it, at around 8:20 had to turn it off, just got updates for picks through the nite.

I am tired of the Covid whatever coverage, was looking for a diversion; thought the draft might provide it, at around 8:20 had to turn it off, just got updates for picks through the nite.
yeah, they went overboard on it. OUtlets feel they need to bend over backwards with this garbage to show they "Care" but in reality we just want to get away from it. SOrta like the Seinfeld "AIDS ribbon episode' when Kremer got beat up because he didnt wear the ribbon!

I didn't mind the format. I'd rather not watch the red carpet, green room and commissioner hug BS. I hate when the "Pick Is In" and you have to wait for a commercial to end or Trey Wingo or Booger to stop babbling.

I didn't mind the format. I'd rather not watch the red carpet, green room and commissioner hug BS. I hate when the "Pick Is In" and you have to wait for a commercial to end or Trey Wingo or Booger to stop babbling.
I did not mind it either. I thought they did a really good job actually.

I'm with cabe, I quickly swapped over to the college crew. Herbie is as good as it gets and that entire crew is not far behind (Desmond, Palmer, Pollock, Fowler).

A couple take-aways for me.

Some really nice pads for all of the players/coaches expect for TCU's Reagor, whose dad played 9 years in the NFL. They looked like they were in some hood apartment. Bad investments?

The Cowboys are a rich and history filled franchise and Jerry Jones and Dan McCarthy still use corded land line phones. :ROFLMAO:

I did not realize how often Simmons from Clemson played slot corner last year. I believe the graphic showed last night said he played more snaps at that position than any other in 2019. Followed by safety, then OLB.

I did not realize how often Simmons from Clemson played slot corner last year. I believe the graphic showed last night said he played more snaps at that position than any other in 2019. Followed by safety, then OLB.
That was the biggest “knock” on him. Not enough tape of him at LB, where he would spend most of his time in the NFL.

Yeah, I thought it went very well after they got over the covid crap in the beginning. Even the boy was getting antsy and didnt want to hear any more about it but if they would have said nothing some folks would get butthurt that the NFL wasnt being sensitive enough......

Did I hear it wrong or did he misspeak when he mentioned LV getting the draft. Thought he said 2020, but meant 2022.

I was glad he did the booing at the beginning. If you cannot make fun of and laugh at yourself then you are a lost soul!

Yeah, I thought it went very well after they got over the covid crap in the beginning. Even the boy was getting antsy and didnt want to hear any more about it but if they would have said nothing some folks would get butthurt that the NFL wasnt being sensitive enough......

Did I hear it wrong or did he misspeak when he mentioned LV getting the draft. Thought he said 2020, but meant 2022.

I was glad he did the booing at the beginning. If you cannot make fun of and laugh at yourself then you are a lost soul!
He did say LV in 2020. That’s why he got no reaction. Everyone was confused.

As far as COVID-19 prevention, all these NFL draftees, GM’s, coaches, etc, had outsiders coming into their own homes to wire up everyone for this...especially the GM’s and coaches. They needed full set-ups. The players probably just got cams delivered to them with instructions how to set it up.

It was kind of fun watching all these folks work out of their homes. Some fun things about the day>

It looks like Joe Burrow's mom needs a new decorator, it looks like '80s chic>
ed6lencd1bxavbh2eayf.jpg

Henry Ruggs had the best draft day attire>
ruggsrobeusatsi.jpg

Javon Kinlaw's dad reaction to his sone being drafted>

Henry Ruggs' Old Spice robe was special. Michael Irvin thought it was a fashion statement. It was clearly an easy money grab.

15 of the 32 first round picks from SEC schools. Speaks volumes if anyone's listening. Rich that Buckeye fans are claiming Burrow as a Buckeye, he left and played 98% of his college snaps at LSU.

15 of the 32 first round picks from SEC schools. Speaks volumes if anyone's listening. Rich that Buckeye fans are claiming Burrow as a Buckeye, he left and played 98% of his college snaps at LSU.
I don't claim him, but he only left because he couldn't win a starting job at a Big Ten school.

People associate Russell Wilson with Wisky, but he played the majority of his career at NC State...so I guess it can go both directions, time-wise.

I don't know that anyone seriously claims that the best college football isn't played in the SEC. The B1G next, but they don't have as rich of a recruiting base, nor enough schools interested in pouring the money into football it takes to be an SEC-like program.

That being said, you put OSU into the SEC and they would perform like Bama. At, or near, the top of the league every season.

I don't claim him, but he only left because he couldn't win a starting job at a Big Ten school.

People associate Russell Wilson with Wisky, but he played the majority of his career at NC State...so I guess it can go both directions, time-wise.

He's certainly a positive story for the transfer portal, imagine if he can't transfer? He never becomes the Heisman winner, LSU doesn't win the national championship and he's not the #1 pick.
Now I'm a little surprised Buckeye Nation isn't at least a little critical of the QB selection process. Haskins did have a great season two years ago, but isn't it at least conversation that they picked the wrong guy to start? Burrow could have had the last two years in Columbus and who knows what happens? Certainly he wouldn't played an less than Haskins or Fields?

I don't know that anyone seriously claims that the best college football isn't played in the SEC. The B1G next, but they don't have as rich of a recruiting base, nor enough schools interested in pouring the money into football it takes to be an SEC-like program.

That being said, you put OSU into the SEC and they would perform like Bama. At, or near, the top of the league every season.
cjb56, you need to research this message board a little. There are many people on here who are delusional and think the Big Ten is on par with the SEC. We have this discussion every single year.
And I'll respectfully disagree with your second statement. You put Ohio State in the SEC and yes, they would compete, but they would not be in the playoff chase every single year. They have a HUGE advantage being in the big ten, as Clemson does in the ACC. I've said that Ohio State in the SEC would be an occasional playoff team, but likely have 2-3 losses per season. Ohio State is favored in every game they play in, and generally double digits, home / road doesn't matter. The fact that the Buckeyes can stub their toe at Iowa 3 years ago and Purdue 2 years ago tells me this. And not only stub their toe, they were manhandled by inferior teams. The week to week competition of SEC (NFL caliber players weekly) makes that conference the best by miles and miles. I think I even heard today that the SEC west division had 11 of the first round picks last night. Over a 1/3rd from a 5 team division?? That's crazy!

I watched Clemson quite a bit and those numbers seemed fudged to me. They disguised him a lot. He may have started elsewhere but he usually wound up in the middle somewhere.

OSU recruits were the top three picks in the NFL draft. The 19th was a Buckeye. We'll see more today. While the SEC is the top college football conference, the Buckeyes ability to acquire talent, consistently in the top 5, would make them competitive in any conference.