2020 Cleveland Browns

That’s all there is. The season is over. All hopes turn to next year. There shouldn’t be any back-slapping or smiles. Moral victories are for losers. There was a great opportunity and they blew it. They may never be in that position again. No guarantees.
I guess that's why we are fans. I don't like Losing. I preach show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser. Imo the Browns just aren't there, Baker will be defined by the 2 minute drill. It's what defines a good NFL qb vrs a great Qb. They need some linebacker and dark help imo. I was impressed with the team growth. Like I said, the bar is high now.

This was a great opportunity for the Browns to advance. Mahomes was out for 30% of the game. Have to grab momentum and win that game. 17 points wasn’t going to cut it. Chiefs D is just a notch above average at best.

A couple quick takes:

1) On offense the OL didn't have their best day. Willis going out on the 1st drive and then Lamm later in the game really hurt, not too many teams are going to score points when on their 3rd string left tackle. It also looked like Conklin wasn't 100% and the middle struggled somewhat with pass protection. Even Chubb also had some mental lapses with consecutive drops. They should have broken at least 25 in this game.

2) On defense the lack of pass rush with 4 players made the DBs very vulnerable, in particular the Safeties. The middle of the field was wide open and the DEs and OLBs also had trouble setting the edge which is where many of the key Chief running plays attack. But then again thanks to a lousy kicker the Browns were in the game in the 4th Q.

So as they move into the off season the 2018 draft class will be front and center. It is time to extend these players and 3 will look to be paid: Mayfield, Ward, & Chubb. The Mayfield decision will be easy and it appears he will be the face of the franchise for the foreseeable future. The other two though are complicated. Ward plays a premium position and when on the field is a talent BUT he doesn't seem to be able to stay on the field healthy. My guess is he gets paid because of the position. Chubb is everything you want in a RB and a key part of the identity of this offense but his position is not one that analytics guys see as a place to invest cap space and this could be the tough decision. Look for a lot of noise here in the off season.

Looks like a groin strain for Garrett.
garrett and the rest of the d-line needs fixed no pressure in the last 2 weeks on the quarterbacks garrett is over rated and d- backs cant cover anyone mahomes out and cant stop Michigan relic henne defense is terrible the browns are fools gold

Opposing teams converted 27 of 32 fourth-down plays vs. Cleveland this season. That was the worst of any NFL defense.

If you look at the history of how analytic types acquire talent you will see that they love to draft early premium positions and truly use draft picks as a capital to either move up to acquire these positions or out right trades for current NFL talent. The general rule of thumb is after QB the premium is on players that play outside and you work your way into the middle of the field, with the exception of Safety. I have a feeling that Vernon is gone and they find a new Edge through a trade or move up to get a certain guy. Edge FAs are very expensive and this year's crop is mixed with not too many that are true 4-3 edges or they only grade run or pass rush well and not the other. I have a feeling that the FA signing will either be a veteran LB or Safety on a club friendly deal that may want to chase a ring. (Don't forget when you extend a QB they eat up a lot of cap space.) Also don't be surprised if they draft a CB high this year, these guys think you can never have enough CBs on a roster, same goes with WRs.

Here is PFF's top 100 Free Agents for 2021: https://www.pff.com/nfl/free-agency?season=2021

Some at the top of the top 100 list will be franchised but many could move around depending on the cap position of each team. Some teams to keep an eye on are the Saints who went all in on 2020 as well as the Falcons, Eagles, Packers, and Rams. Players on the top 100 list from these teams will be pursued heavily.

Here are the Browns key FAs:
  • Olivier Vernon
  • Rashard Higgins
  • Larry Ogunjobi
  • Terrance Mitchell
  • B.J. Goodson
  • Kevin Johnson
  • Karl Joseph
  • Andrew Sendejo :ROFLMAO:
Vernon will probably be gone but I could see them trying to keep Higgins. The rest are unlikely to be picked up unless at a good price.

If you look at the history of how analytic types acquire talent you will see that they love to draft early premium positions and truly use draft picks as a capital to either move up to acquire these positions or out right trades for current NFL talent. The general rule of thumb is after QB the premium is on players that play outside and you work your way into the middle of the field, with the exception of Safety. I have a feeling that Vernon is gone and they find a new Edge through a trade or move up to get a certain guy. Edge FAs are very expensive and this year's crop is mixed with not too many that are true 4-3 edges or they only grade run or pass rush well and not the other. I have a feeling that the FA signing will either be a veteran LB or Safety on a club friendly deal that may want to chase a ring. (Don't forget when you extend a QB they eat up a lot of cap space.) Also don't be surprised if they draft a CB high this year, these guys think you can never have enough CBs on a roster, same goes with WRs.
Bud Dupree will likely be available.

Well I've had enough time to get over it. Great season, great effort, and a nice future for the Browns. Baker improved so much under Stefanski. Any criticism about certain decisions Saturday are always easy, but I think we have our HC and QB for the future.

Draft and off-season prioirities are so obvious: Linebacker and secondary are the big need. A deep threat WR if OBJ is not brought back. OL and DL depth. This team is pretty close.

Who do you think the Browns will hire as the new coach .... oh, wait that’s not needed

OK ... who is going to be their QB ... oh wait, we already know that

who are they going to draft with their top 5 pick ... oh wait, don’t have one

it is going to be a very boring offseason .... and I’m enjoying every bit of it!!!!!

Who do you think the Browns will hire as the new coach .... oh, wait that’s not needed

OK ... who is going to be their QB ... oh wait, we already know that

who are they going to draft with their top 5 pick ... oh wait, don’t have one

it is going to be a very boring offseason .... and I’m enjoying every bit of it!!!!!
Cavs are watchable and then get your Wahoo hat out...BAM!