2020 Cleveland Browns

I would consider it a blessing if either Brown or Kinlaw dropped to the Browns, regardless of which OT’s remain. I love Wirfs at #10, but there is no way you can pass up a dominant DT.

Those guys are solid, but the Browns are okay at DT right now, so I think they go for need/Tackle.

Those guys are solid, but the Browns are okay at DT right now, so I think they go for need/Tackle.
They just might. Dumb teams fill holes with the draft instead of taking the best available player.

QB is the only position where need trumps best available...sometimes.

Got home early today and went through some of the draft rankings of the experts for the top four tackles. I looked at 16 different sites focusing on Becton, Wirfs, Thomas and Wills. Adding their 1 to 4 rankings together, the order ended up Wills (34), Wirfs (35), Becton (42) and Thomas (49).

Got home early today and went through some of the draft rankings of the experts for the top four tackles. I looked at 16 different sites focusing on Becton, Wirfs, Thomas and Wills. Adding their 1 to 4 rankings together, the order ended up Wills (34), Wirfs (35), Becton (42) and Thomas (49).
I like Wirfs. I just feel Iowa does a great job of playing pro style and developing NFL players. Ferentz learned under Belichick. It shows. Plus, Wirfs is a stud.

It would be very difficult to pass on a stud DT like Brown or Kinlaw, though, regardless of which OT's are still at #10. I doubt either DT falls to #10, however.

I like Wirfs. I just feel Iowa does a great job of playing pro style and developing NFL players. Ferentz learned under Belichick. It shows. Plus, Wirfs is a stud.

It would be very difficult to pass on a stud DT like Brown or Kinlaw, though, regardless of which OT's are still at #10. I doubt either DT falls to #10, however.

Agreed on Wirfs. Something just sounds right about a top Big 10 tackle playing for the Browns. Wirfs also seems to be the most consistently rated of the bunch. Wills is rated #1 more but he's also ranked the #4 tackle by more publications.

Agreed on Wirfs. Something just sounds right about a top Big 10 tackle playing for the Browns. Wirfs also seems to be the most consistently rated of the bunch. Wills is rated #1 more but he's also ranked the #4 tackle by more publications.
I would like to hear Joe Thomas break down the top OT's. Not that he's an expert scout, but I would be curious to hear his thoughts on this draft's OT's.

Every since he was replaced by Mary Kay as Browns beat reporter, I’ve always seen Grossi as a commentator/columnist. He doesn’t need to be objective in that role. He’s allowed to express his opinion, and though many on Yappi don’t care much for him...I do. He’s been as negative as the team’s actual performance since 1999. He doesn’t sugar coat the story of a dysfunctional franchise.

And Baker is an effin midget. I may have even used those words a couple years ago in reaction to the drafting of Baker and Ward. I didn’t like it then and I still don’t. They both made me eat my words, gladly, after their rookie seasons, but when it’s all said and done I don’t believe either will justify their draft pick.
Drew Brees is an effin midget...so what?

Much better coaching staff in place now, I think both will bounce back.

I really like the Keenum signing. Who better to counsel Mayfield on the Stefanski system than someone who thrived in it? The Browns have a viable back-up, they avoid any hint of a quarterback controversy, they signal to Mayfield they are all-in on him as the starter, and they bring in the perfect mentor for him.
This signing certainly doesn't avoid a QB controversy. You love Baker or you hate him...and those who hate him will point to the numbers Keenum put up in Minnesota with Stefanski.

I'm with you - "Best Player Available" is always subjective. How do you compare the best Safety or best WR to the best OT or best DL? Positional need has to be a big driver in the decision.

I think it has to be a balance. Much is driven by the status of your team at the given moment. Two years ago, there was absolutely no reason for the Browns to not to go BPA at every pick. Now, it's not so clear. With talent, you can fill holes at times. I'm certainly not in favor of picking the 3rd or 4th tackle if things go crazy and someone like Simmons is there, but sometimes you have to focus on need within reason.

Browns renegotiated Hubbard's contract. Looks like we may have another contender in Hubbard for right guard. He's played enough along the line to be a decent backup also.

Browns #10 pick in assorted mocks-
CBS- Josh Edwards- Thomas
NFL.com- Chad Reuter- Thomas
Detroit News- Justin Rodgers- Thomas
Fansided- Matt Verderame - Wills
ESPN- Mel Kiper- Becton
Yahoo- Eric Edholm- Wirfs
Bleacher Report- Kristopher Know- Becton
San Diego Union Tribune- Eddie Brown- Thomas
NBC Sports Philadelphia- Staff- Thomas
AtlantaFalcons.com- Matthew Tabeek - Wills
NBC Sports Washington- Tyler Roman- Becton
Fantasy Pros- Field Yates- Murray
CBS- R.J. White- Thomas
Athlon Sports- Bryan Fisher- Wirfs
Baltimore Sun- CJ Doon- Becton
Touchdown Wire- Doug Farrar- Becton
NFL.com- Lance Zeirlein- Wirfs
NFL.com- Charles Davis- Wills
NFL.com- Bucky Brooks- Thomas
NFL.com- Daniel Jeremiah- Thomas
NFL.com- Cynthia Freelund- Thomas
SI.com- Kevin Hansen- Becton
Walter Football- Becton
Ourlads- Thomas

24 mocks- Thomas- 10; Becton- 7; Wills- 3; Wirfs- 3; Murray- 1. 23/24 are guessing tackle with 1 linebacker (Murray).

Draft is getting closer and closer. With the coronavirus slowdown, I've had more time to look at some of the Browns options. I'd love it if Simmons were to somehow get to them at 10, but it's unlikely. Of the tackles that could be available, I think I still prefer Wirfs. He can get a little sloppy at times, but he's crazy strong and athletic. Becton is also crazy athletic but I'd prefer to see it translated more on the field rather than just impressive combine numbers. Thomas is just the opposite with not great combine type numbers but solid play on the field. Wills is similar but I wish he had more left side experience. Overall, Becton is the one I am not wild about.

If Simmons is somehow there, I'd hope they can find a decent tackle in the second, like an Austin Jackson from USC or Ezra Cleveland from Boise State. Whoever they end up with, I am damn glad they have Bill Callahan.

I am not wild about the day two linebackers. Most of them are smaller outside guys as opposed to the inside guys the Browns need. Willie Gay, the kid from Mississippi State is an athletic freak with similar numbers to Simmons but appears to be a head case. Last season, he was suspended for 8 games for violating team rules and allegedly got into a fight with the quarterback before their bowl game. The QB ended up missing the bowl game because of injury. Sounds like a kid Dorsey would have taken a chance on.

Reports now that Browns and Clowney had potential deal in place at one point. Doesn't sound like Clayborn signing necessarily means Clowney is out of play...

From a per "wow" standpoint I would love to sign Clowney. The thought of a Clowney and Myles pass-rush is fun to think about.

Reports now that Browns and Clowney had potential deal in place at one point. Doesn't sound like Clayborn signing necessarily means Clowney is out of play...

From a per "wow" standpoint I would love to sign Clowney. The thought of a Clowney and Myles pass-rush is fun to think about.

I would think that would hasten Vernon's exit. Oddly, Clowney has become better against the run than as a pass rusher. Amazingly, he had fewer sacks than Vernon last year. He would though be an upgrade.

I would think that would hasten Vernon's exit. Oddly, Clowney has become better against the run than as a pass rusher. Amazingly, he had fewer sacks than Vernon last year. He would though be an upgrade.
Clowney has greatly under achieve thus far in his career ... you don't pay 15-20 million for guys who plays the run well ... the frustrating part is he shows flashes of greatness, but no consistency ... maybe opposite Myles he will blossom ... but to me, as of now, he is greatly overrated!

Clowney has greatly under achieve thus far in his career ... you don't pay 15-20 million for guys who plays the run well ... the frustrating part is he shows flashes of greatness, but no consistency ... maybe opposite Myles he will blossom ... but to me, as of now, he is greatly overrated!
Agreed.

Agreed. He would be more solid than Vernon who even when healthy was largely ineffective. No way Clowney is worth anywhere near the $20M he wants.

Agreed. He would be more solid than Vernon who even when healthy was largely ineffective. No way Clowney is worth anywhere near the $20M he wants.
Yea, getting him at more reasonable price & length is the key ... they need to leave cap space to be able to sign Garrett and Mayfield (maybe) when their contracts are up. I do believe he is worth the gamble at the right price.

Clowney made the most spectacular tackle in history.

...and he's been trying to live up to it ever since. Don't get me wrong, he's been a good player, a 3 time pro-bowler. He just hasn't been the dominant player may expected.

Hell, today he'd be ejected for a helmet to helmet hit.

My lasting memory of Vernon is how Kyle Juszczyk completely took him out on the long TD run by Matt Breida early in the 49ers game.

Last edited: