2020 Cleveland Browns

Well executed search and hire by Depodesta. Browns will be very good next season.

So, Mr Sashi-truther, are you confident Berry - Sashi Lite - is the right GM when we are no longer tanking ?

Stefanski is no more "analytical" than McDaniels in game-planning. I guess you like the thought of a game run from the box upstairs, huh ? So, he's actually run an offense for 19 games, instead of many seasons like McDaniels, and now he's going to run a team operation, having seen only the Vikings. As opposed to McDaniels that has had his HC feet wet and been humbled a bit. It may be a "good hire" and he may do well enough, but it's still a lesser hire.

This whole thing is about control. Operations need to be run out in the field, not back in the office. Maybe Stefanski will do that, but he sure looks like a puppet on a string to me at this point.

Last edited:
So, Mr Sashi-truther, are you confident Berry - Sashi Lite - is the right GM when we are no longer tanking ?

Stefanski is no more "analytical" than McDaniels in game-planning. I guess you like the thought of a game run from the box upstairs, huh ?

This whole thing is about control. Operations need to be run out in the field, not back in the office. Maybe Stefanski will do that, but he sure looks like a puppet on a string to me at this point.

Depodesta
Berry
Stefanski

3/3

Depodesta
Sashi
Hue

2/3

#analytics

Depodesta
Berry
Stefanski

3/3

Depodesta
Sashi
Hue

2/3

#analytics

tenor.gif

As someone who has never liked, nor respected, Josh McD, I'm good with nearly anyone but him. Stefanski has always done a very good job, overall, for the Vikings in whatever they've asked him to do. The mystery to me, as I've mentioned before, is not really knowing what a Stefanski offense looks like. We know he stepped in and shifted to the run-heavy offense Mike Zimmer demanded, after Zimmer let John DeFillipo go as OC for neglecting the run (as Freddie also did many times). I assume Stefanski laid out an acceptable vision to the Browns. And he certainly has experience with dealing with prima donna WR's, as Stefon Diggs openly whines when not enough balls are thrown his way.

To me, with a (for the most part) ready-made team that mostly just needed a firm hand at the controls, McCarthy was a no-brainer, but they let that ship sail quickly. Now it's yet another first time HC learning on the fly with a team of personalities that needs to be reined in ASAP. In many circumstances Stefanski would be a great hire, but not so sure it's the right one for this team at this time. Better than McD-bag, though.

As someone who has never liked, nor respected, Josh McD, I'm good with nearly anyone but him. Stefanski has always done a very good job, overall, for the Vikings in whatever they've asked him to do. The mystery to me, as I've mentioned before, is not really knowing what a Stefanski offense looks like. We know he stepped in and shifted to the run-heavy offense Mike Zimmer demanded, after Zimmer let John DeFillipo go as OC for neglecting the run (as Freddie also did many times). I assume Stefanski laid out an acceptable vision to the Browns. And he certainly has experience with dealing with prima donna WR's, as Stefon Diggs openly whines when not enough balls are thrown his way.

To me, with a (for the most part) ready-made team that mostly just needed a firm hand at the controls, McCarthy was a no-brainer, but they let that ship sail quickly. Now it's yet another first time HC learning on the fly with a team of personalities that needs to be reined in ASAP. In many circumstances Stefanski would be a great hire, but not so sure it's the right one for this team at this time. Better than McD-bag, though.

Me too

We all know who is probably going to control this team now. This team will be run remotely, from Cali.

I wonder if poor Mr Stefanski is going to have a Monday morning debriefing like no other, in a Skype session with DePo.

I don't get why you hate Haslam.

Hate is such a strong word, Clark. I don't hate Jimmy Haslam any more than Cabo does, I would assume. But I distrust him. I think instead of cultivating a workable organizational structure, he creates dysfunction merely by insinuating himself in the process, and his decision-making has been abysmal. Name me one thing he has done to create a consistent plan of action for this franchise. It's like they are on a treadmill, trying hard but getting nowhere. I get the feeling that if Stefanski succeeds, it will be in spite of Haslam. I also buy in to your theory on DePodesta's motivation to bring in Stefanski, but I honestly believe he was the compromise choice; that McDaniels' demands shot down his chances, and they settled on Stefanski. Hell of a way to run a coaching search.

Now, the Browns have another head coach with no experience dealing with a rutterless front office. Everyone will be spending time trying to get on a first name basis while preparing for a draft. If this sounds less than desirable, it's because it is. And the person solely responsible for this mess is Jimmy Haslam.

I don’t really hate him at all, as you say. It is just very frustrating. The longest period over which there seemed to be any unified vision pursued was when they tanked and traded for future picks. Everyone above Hue knew that they were tanking, and I really believe that the Haslams took pity on Hue and let him start that third year because of that.

My big concern now about that era was the picks they did make were not good. Garrett was easy, but the rest.....

He is the OC. Understand that Reid may call a lot of it, but Bieniemy still has responsibilities

And who do you imagine comes up with the bulk of the sets, personnel groupings, motion packages, and finally, plays ? Who decides the changes to the game plan on the fly, once they see what a defense is trying to make them do ?

I don’t doubt that there is a collaborative aspect to what they do in KC. Why do you suppose he hasn’t had a HC job yet at 50 ?

Last edited:
And who do you imagine comes up with the bulk of the sets, personnel groupings, motion packages, and finally, plays ? Who decides the changes to the game plan on the fly, once they see what a defense is trying to make them do ?
And with Bieniemy absorbing all that info and learning that, he will take it with him in his next step. But you are stuck with Stefanski. Good luck

I really can’t say yay or nay ... I do not know much about Stefanski ... all I hope is that everyone is working together and they are given time ... enough of this revolving door ... I think it just goes to show that DePodesta has Haslam’s ear for now.

"I've called exactly three games in this league, so I don't feel like I've figured this whole thing out."
-Kevin Stefanski in July

So after just one full season as a coordinator, with Gary Kubiak at his side the whole time, Stefanski is ready to take on a head coaching gig? I'm sure McDaniels wanted to make organizational changes and Haslam/DePodesta want a yes man who will follow their plan (whatever tf that is). Brown's front office is a mess and has been for a long time so can you really blame a guy who is coming from the most stable franchise in the NFL for suggesting that things might need to be done a little differently?

"I've called exactly three games in this league, so I don't feel like I've figured this whole thing out."
-Kevin Stefanski in July

So after just one full season as a coordinator, with Gary Kubiak at his side the whole time, Stefanski is ready to take on a head coaching gig? I'm sure McDaniels wanted to make organizational changes and Haslam/DePodesta want a yes man who will follow their plan (whatever tf that is). Brown's front office is a mess and has been for a long time so can you really blame a guy who is coming from the most stable franchise in the NFL for suggesting that things might need to be done a little differently?

I wonder what “analytics” says about the success rate of OCs promoted to HC after their first full season ? I know what DePo says (via Skype, of course) to Stefanski and Berry - “Who’s your daddy?”.

I can’t believe somebody else got Rivera and McCarthy, we let McDaniels go back to NE, and we let Dorsey go. And Haslam probably thinks this was all his idea, too.

Same old Browns. Damn.

I wonder what “analytics” says about the success rate of OCs promoted to HC after their first full season ? I know what DePo says (via Skype, of course) to Stefanski and Berry - “Who’s your daddy?”.

I can’t believe somebody else got Rivera and McCarthy, we let McDaniels go back to NE, and we let Dorsey go. And Haslam probably thinks this was all his idea, too.

Same old Browns. Damn.

Regardless of how much of a mess this past season was, I was glad that they made a swift decision to cut Freddie loose having recognized that a mistake was made. I thought with the pool of candidates available that they would end up with an established, solid hire who could take control of the locker room and get this talented roster focused on playing football. The fact that all of the interviews were just a dog and pony show until DePodesta could officially snag his boy is very disheartening and yet another illustration of why they are such a mess. According to reports the new HC will need to turn in game plans to Haslam and the analytics boys each week, as well as give the analytics team a headset/access to the coaching staff on game days, mandatory extensive meetings with Haslam......No wonder McDaniels didn't budge. And quite frankly I don't have much respect for a head coach who agrees to those terms but maybe he was willing to do it to land his first gig. And before someone tells me "Well Harbaugh does it..." look dude has been coaching Ravens at a high level for a long time if he wants to spend time doing it then so be it. I want a coaching staff that will spend their time getting these guys playing ball.

Last edited:
I thought this was telling. Candidates had to agree to turn in the game plan to the OWNER and analytics dept by friday? Haslam has no idea what a game plan should look like but he's insisting on approving it? Stafanski is just the new version of Jason Garret in Dallas.

I'm not buying any of this until it is confirmed by the immediate parties. Why? Because I'm scared to death that it's true.

I'm not buying any of this until it is confirmed by the immediate parties. Why? Because I'm scared to death that it's true.

I do not doubt for a second that it is true. Haslam is the type of guy that can only be hands-off for so long. As far as working with the analytics team, I don't have a problem with it as long as the analytics team is working at the disposal of the head coach like other teams do. Let the coaches coach and be there to support them. But the way this whole thing played out I have a difficult time believing that Stefanski will be anything but a puppet to Haslam and DePodesta. McDaniels wanted this job pretty bad and even he couldn't bring himself to give in to what they were asking. To me that says a lot about how the relationship between Stefanski and the front office is going to play out. "Alignment" is a good thing but it's also pretty important to have the best coaches that you can get and I'm afraid that getting someone who was willing to play "moneyball" was prioritized over coaching ability. This isn't the MLB. They have "managers" for a reason and NFL teams have head coaches with like 15 assistants.