2020 Cleveland Browns

bedevil

Might as well get it started. Who is the next head coach? Will Dorsey survive? Will there be Revenge of the Nerds in the front office with the Haslams apparently embracing DePodesta again as a leading voice? Will the Haslams give us all a break and sell the team? Will Baker Mayfield return to 2018 form or will the organization again have to find a franchise quarterback. Lots going on. Should be an interesting off-season and hopefully, please God, a season where this team plays to its potential.

Might as well get it started. Who is the next head coach? Will Dorsey survive? Will there be Revenge of the Nerds in the front office with the Haslams apparently embracing DePodesta again as a leading voice? Will the Haslams give us all a break and sell the team? Will Baker Mayfield return to 2018 form or will the organization again have to find a franchise quarterback. Lots going on. Should be an interesting off-season and hopefully, please God, a season where this team plays to its potential.

Another one of those off-seasons. Damn, how are we here again soon?

Get the right coach = division champion and playoffs. I would not be surprised if they moved OBJ.
By most reports, Kitchens didnt have the respect of the locker room. This needs to happen, yesterday, and I think they only way they do that is if they bring in a hard , something with experience, or some newbie whom comes in on day one and lays down the law.

Get the wrong coach = inmates run the asylum. Again.

Head coaching openings ranked:

Ok...here is the last paragraph of Conor Orr's less-than-flattering assessment regarding coaching the Browns:

"I’ll be careful here not to label Baker Mayfield, Odell Beckham and Jarvis Landry with a broad brush, but this is a nucleolus of extremely talented people who will require someone with cachet and the ability to have immediate success. Someone who can get them the ball. Someone who can wrangle them during difficult times in a way that Tom Coughlin, Adam Gase, Ben McAdoo, Pat Shurmur and Hue Jackson were not in the past."

What the hell is this guy talking about? Coughlin? Gase? McAdoo? I'm hardly the brightest bulb in the chandelier, so what am I missing? Also...nucleolus? We're talking about cell structure here? Makes me wonder about Mr. Orr's credibility.

Last edited:
Matt Ruhle said no thanks to a Browns interview.

I hope that's not a trend. I hope the Browns don't play the waiting game and the organization starts interviewing in earnest right now. If they wait, then I think it spells doom for the Dorsey front office, because it would indicate to me the Nerds have someone in mind already (read: Josh McDaniels). There are reports that, for some reason, McDaniels is going to demand to bring in his own GM. If that is indeed the case, where in God's name does Josh McDaniels have the gravitas - not to mention the head coaching resume' - to make that kind of demand?

I hope that's not a trend. I hope the Browns don't play the waiting game and the organization starts interviewing in earnest right now. If they wait, then I think it spells doom for the Dorsey front office, because it would indicate to me the Nerds have someone in mind already (read: Josh McDaniels). There are reports that, for some reason, McDaniels is going to demand to bring in his own GM. If that is indeed the case, where in God's name does Josh McDaniels have the gravitas - not to mention the head coaching resume' - to make that kind of demand?

That was the concern I raised a week ago- that the historic dysfunction of the franchise would start scaring off candidates.

One can only assume that he declined it because he didn't expect to have a shot at it. It doesn't look good to have too many declines as a candidate, and that perception means more to them than to a team. More than likely, it was a back-door OC interview. He deserves kudos for the post-Briles clean-up, but he won't see a Big 12 D in the NFL, he has no NFL ties to speak of, etc. I can't see NFL vets taking to him....

Do you guys put Mayfield’s regression on Freddie, just a bad year/ growing pains, or something else?

Preparation on his own, Freddie's play-calling, player development via hired coaching staff (Dorsey or Freddie calls?), offense design, tougher opponents, Freddie's leadership in demanding route discipline and player development, Baker's own hero-complex not balanced by real leadership.........

Big list.

That was the concern I raised a week ago- that the historic dysfunction of the franchise would start scaring off candidates.

One just can't get over-simplistic and flip out over it. Washington and Dallas can just as realistically be viewed about the same due to ownership.

Rivera seems to have taken the worst job. Why ? He's a veteran, defensive side of the ball HC that may not be given another job if he fails in his next one, so he wants control. He's betting on himself.

He doesn't want Wilks, btw. Shocker.....

Preparation on his own, Freddie's play-calling, player development via hired coaching staff (Dorsey or Freddie calls?), offense design, tougher opponents, Freddie's leadership in demanding route discipline and player development, Baker's own hero-complex not balanced by real leadership.........

Big list.
yeah, what an f’n trainwreck.

One just can't get over-simplistic and flip out over it. Washington and Dallas can just as realistically be viewed about the same due to ownership.

Rivera seems to have taken the worst job. Why ? He's a veteran, defensive side of the ball HC that may not be given another job if he fails in his next one, so he wants control. He's betting on himself.

He doesn't want Wilks, btw. Shocker.....

Agreed. There could be some real positives in the job for the right guy. Decent roster and he could be a hero if he righted the ship. I saw something this morning that Rivera was taking Wilks. I'd suggest to Wilks that he always rent.

Taking a flier on Kitchens should not be enough to get Dorsey fired. I liked his aggressive personnel moves. Quite the contrast to the Sashi Brown plan which seemed to be acquire half the picks in the 2019 draft.

The Browns can't continue to go through coaches and GM's every other year.

Taking a flier on Kitchens should not be enough to get Dorsey fired. I liked his aggressive personnel moves. Quite the contrast to the Sashi Brown plan which seemed to be acquire half the picks in the 2019 draft.

The Browns can't continue to go through coaches and GM's every other year.

For me, there is a really fine line here that would keep the Haslams from just looking like an absolute clown show.

If Dorsey said he demanded retaining 100% autonomy on draft day and hiring to stay, maybe they save face. If they have a great hire coming in that didn't want the Dorse, OK.

Pretty hard to see this as less than a train wreck otherwise.

Mortensen, Rapoport and Garofolo reporting the same.

that's what they need, a whole new regime. Sigh.
If this was simply a power struggle between DePo and Dorsey that had the Haslams choosing DePo, it's time to push Jimmy in front of a speeding bus.

There had better be a better hire here than Boy Josh, because they will have to ride him for 5 years.