2020 Cincinnati Bengals

Tanking. Or the lack thereof I am glad that NFL teams for the most part do not partake in this like NBA and MLB. You always see teams battling to the end of the season, sans the Lions on Friday, that was embarrassing, even if it means a worse draft pick. It gets rediculou s at times in other sports how blatant it gets.
The NFL for the most part does not have guaranteed contracts, plus you have a player like Allen who is looking to be a starter somewhere next season. Also one player is not going to make that much difference in the NFL immediately like a top notch H.S. or college bball player does in the NBA.

The NFL for the most part does not have guaranteed contracts, plus you have a player like Allen who is looking to be a starter somewhere next season. Also one player is not going to make that much difference in the NFL immediately like a top notch H.S. or college bball player does in the NBA.
Concur.

Last year that Bengals/Dolphins games was one of the best of the year even though both needed to 'lose'!

If they can't get Sewell; then yes. Those guys are studs, and picking in the top-5, you need to get a stud.

The offensive line is still going to suck next year Sewell or not unless this cheap franchise adds a couple of quality linemen via free agency and trades.
My point exactly, if Sewell is there of course you take him but I don’t think he will be there at 6-7. The Bengals have options for a quality OT at the top of round two. A lot of this depends on what they do in FA of course but if you have a chance to replace AJ with a talent like Chase or Smith you do it

I’m wondering if there’s a way to set the top 10 for the draft after 12 or 14 games, that way you don’t punish teams for winning. IDK, I’m sure there’s some type of angle I’m missing, but it feels wrong that bad teams winning late in the yr can f’ up their future
I agree, there should be a different process for sure. The incentive to lose is too strong with the current system.

Taylor will be in Cincinnati at least two more years. Mike Brown is too cheap to fire a coach that probably has multiple years still on his contract and he isn't paying Taylor to go away to pay somebody else to replace him.

Also, this has been pretty much a total rebuild project and in year 2 of the Taylor experiment they'll end up with 4 wins and 6 losses that were one possession games. Burrow's knee got jacked up but they do have an obvious franchise QB with him.

Rebuild the offensive line over the next couple years and draft a few difference makers and odds are the cheap and patient Brown way will show some dividends with Taylor.

My point exactly, if Sewell is there of course you take him but I don’t think he will be there at 6-7. The Bengals have options for a quality OT at the top of round two. A lot of this depends on what they do in FA of course but if you have a chance to replace AJ with a talent like Chase or Smith you do it
The Packers have one receiver and are 12 - 3, Cowboys have 3 ALL - PRO caliber receivers and are 6 - 9. In the NFL you win with a good o - line, defense, good coaching and a good FO. Running backs and receivers are nothing but shiny objects that fish like Mike Brown gobble up ( John Ross for ex. ). As much as I like Joe Mixon Bengals should have left him walk, best teams in the NFL rarely have an ALL - PRO rb. I don't care who plays receiver if the QB doesn't have time to throw the football. Go with Sewell if available or FA at tackle. If Sewell is not available pick a frt. 7 defensive player.

If Sewell is available you go get him. I’m also hoping the pick up a quality OT in free agency, then you have two good tackles and you can move Williams to guard, many of the talking heads felt like that would be his better position anyway. As long as you have a FA OT, you can take the best player available if it’s not Sewell, such as Chase or Parton. You can always get the tackle in the second if you still need one. Remember Andrew Whitworth was a 2nd

The Packers have one receiver and are 12 - 3, Cowboys have 3 ALL - PRO caliber receivers and are 6 - 9. In the NFL you win with a good o - line, defense, good coaching and a good FO. Running backs and receivers are nothing but shiny objects that fish like Mike Brown gobble up ( John Ross for ex. ). As much as I like Joe Mixon Bengals should have left him walk, best teams in the NFL rarely have an ALL - PRO rb. I don't care who plays receiver if the QB doesn't have time to throw the football. Go with Sewell if available or FA at tackle. If Sewell is not available pick a frt. 7 defensive player.
The Packers only play with one receiver?

I agree, there should be a different process for sure. The incentive to lose is too strong with the current system.
The Jets lost out on Trevor Lawrence bc they won the last 2 weeks. IDK what the best solution is, but there has to be some kind of change.

I think reality as far as drafting need at #5 is the only worthy lineman in Sewell will likely be gone, and Parsons is IMO the only front 7 defender that you could justify picking that high.

Unless a lot of things go right and Sewell conveniently slides to #5, you just about have to take one of the WRs if you don't trade down barring the FO grading out Parsons very highly.

I think reality as far as drafting need at #5 is the only worthy lineman in Sewell will likely be gone, and Parsons is IMO the only front 7 defender that you could justify picking that high.

Unless a lot of things go right and Sewell conveniently slides to #5, you just about have to take one of the WRs if you don't trade down barring the FO grading out Parsons very highly.
There are a lot of QB hungry teams and this draft seems to have four that are highly thought of so you never know, Sewell could be there, but if he is not I would get the Chase or trade down to 15-20 and take Darrisaw. I really think the Bengals think the o line is fixed with Sua-Fila coming back. It was Jordan who got blown up when Burrow got trashed, just saying

The Jets lost out on Trevor Lawrence bc they won the last 2 weeks. IDK what the best solution is, but there has to be some kind of change.

there really isn’t a better way to be honest. Fans and management might be all in on tanking, but the players in uniform are trying to win every single week.

there really isn’t a better way to be honest. Fans and management might be all in on tanking, but the players in uniform are trying to win every single week.
You can’t play football, especially at the NFL level, and not play all out. Hockey is another sport where that’s true. Baseball, basketball, soccer and others you can fake it.

i think most of yappi wanted the bengals to lose b/c they have no faith in the FO (Brown) to do the right thing if they don't have the shiny prize staring at them. Burrow last year, and Sewell this year until the jets jacked that up.

they won't trade the pick to get more picks, and not a lot of front 7 talent worthy of a pick that high (my opinion), so we hope he takes the best available which will probably be a WR. only other lineman that MAY be worthy is the OL from Northwestern ( i think).

jtk
()

You can’t play football, especially at the NFL level, and not play all out. Hockey is another sport where that’s true. Baseball, basketball, soccer and others you can fake it.
I am also talking about sitting guys, playing a bunch of young uns who are not ready. Notorious to see that in baseball and hoops.

Bengals have signed Trey Hendrickson (DE, Saints), Chidobe Awuzie (outside CB, Dallas) and Mike Hilton (slot CB, Steelers). Nothing earth shattering or organization changing but all solid signings.