2020 Cincinnati Bengals

No reason for the Bengals to say anything other than that they value and plan on keeping Dalton. Openly acting like they're shopping him doesn't help. Their best case scenario is to hold onto him and have a contender lose their starter to injury and than have them come calling.

If I was the Bengals I would trade the first for 2 1’s and a 2nd or 3rd in a heartbeat as long as one of the 1’s was top 10. They could still get a franchise QB and more help elsewhere. I like Burrow but I’m not convinced he will develop into a top tier QB. They could get Tua, Love or Herbert all of which have an upside as good or better then Joe. Bengals will hang on to the #1 however because the fan base will crush Brown otherwise.

If I was the Bengals I would trade the first for 2 1’s and a 2nd or 3rd in a heartbeat as long as one of the 1’s was top 10. They could still get a franchise QB and more help elsewhere. I like Burrow but I’m not convinced he will develop into a top tier QB. They could get Tua, Love or Herbert all of which have an upside as good or better then Joe. Bengals will hang on to the #1 however because the fan base will crush Brown otherwise.

Definitely not. The only one you could make that argument with is Herbert and that's only because he has the prototypical size of an NFL QB. Tua has injury problems and going to a more violent league isn't going to help that. Love is garbage and doesn't have anywhere near the upside as Joe.

This really depends on what they think of Herbert. If they really like him and believe he can be a franchise guy then the trade could easily make sense for the future of the franchise.

Here is the problem/issue. The Bengals front office/ownership has not given fans and players much in the past that would warrant trust in their process. If they would have had a good track record of doing brilliant things then if this happens people would praise him.

The general consensus is that they are a bungling buffoon of a franchise and havent built any collateral trust. The 'safe' move here that buys them time is drafting Burrow. If he flames out then, well, that is more "acceptable" to the fanbase than if they opt to not draft him, wait for Herbert, and flame out with him.

I dont know anything about Herbert so I cannot comment, but if he truly is legit then the bengals could set themselves up for a great 10 year run by trading with Miami.

BUT............... Burrow is the safe/smart move....

Herbert never impressed me. Seems like he is "frame" qb pick this year. Personally I would take Burrow. I think Tua is more talented but he wont stay healthy

This really depends on what they think of Herbert. If they really like him and believe he can be a franchise guy then the trade could easily make sense for the future of the franchise.

Here is the problem/issue. The Bengals front office/ownership has not given fans and players much in the past that would warrant trust in their process. If they would have had a good track record of doing brilliant things then if this happens people would praise him.

The general consensus is that they are a bungling buffoon of a franchise and havent built any collateral trust. The 'safe' move here that buys them time is drafting Burrow. If he flames out then, well, that is more "acceptable" to the fanbase than if they opt to not draft him, wait for Herbert, and flame out with him.

I dont know anything about Herbert so I cannot comment, but if he truly is legit then the bengals could set themselves up for a great 10 year run by trading with Miami.

BUT............... Burrow is the safe/smart move....
Basically what I was trying to say re. Browns dilemma. You just said it better.

Basically what I was trying to say re. Browns dilemma. You just said it better.
I always do......

We see this every single game as well in every sport.
Certain coaches will be given the benefit of the doubt when they make certain decisions, whether they be on a hunch or a plain smart X/O move, no matter how it turns out.

Was thinking about this last night when Lou Brown put in Vaughn to face the big guy from the Yankees. Statistically a bad move, and if a manager with a good track record does it he gets praise, but one without a good track record would be questioned............

Tua apparently is failing his physicals. Wrist hip, leg.

Mike Lombardi apparently opened this discussion back up on his radio show a couple days ago. According to Lombardi, at least one team failed him but the bigger issue is that teams just worry he won't be able to stay on the field.

I just read an article that listed out Tua's injury history:
  1. Broken left index finger (March 2018; no games missed)
  2. Sprained right knee (October 2018; no games missed)
  3. Left high ankle sprain (December 2018; surgery; no games missed)
  4. Right high ankle sprain (October 2019; surgery; 1 game missed)
  5. Dislocated right hip with posterior acetabular wall fracture (November 2019; surgery; missed final 3.5 games)
He also apparently broke his wrist twice in a preseason at Alabama which hadn't been made public before.

Mike Lombardi apparently opened this discussion back up on his radio show a couple days ago. According to Lombardi, at least one team failed him but the bigger issue is that teams just worry he won't be able to stay on the field.

5. Dislocated right hip with posterior acetabular wall fracture (November 2019; surgery; missed final 3.5 games)
He also apparently broke his wrist twice in a preseason at Alabama which hadn't been made public before.

Scary to think about how good he really is. Just can't stay healthy

With the exception of the hip, most of that is expected and isn’t really worrisome.
I would be a little concerned with the ankles. It just seems like some guys are more prone to injury.

I hope the Bengals take Burrow but if I were the Steelers or Pats I would consider trading up to get him.

With LB's iffy in the draft where the Bengals would pick; maybe they should consider signing Nigel Bradham, average at run and pass defense; wouldn't think he is that expensive, maybe $1.5mill/yr

I would be a little concerned with the ankles. It just seems like some guys are more prone to injury.

I hope the Bengals take Burrow but if I were the Steelers or Pats I would consider trading up to get him.
Steelers don’t pick till the late 2nd round. They wouldn’t do the trade in any case but they don’t have the ammo to get into Round 1.

No reason for the Bengals to say anything other than that they value and plan on keeping Dalton. Openly acting like they're shopping him doesn't help. Their best case scenario is to hold onto him and have a contender lose their starter to injury and than have them come calling.
Basically draft Burrow and let him sit behind Dalton. No one will trade for Dalton because of his contract. He’s not worth the money

Basically draft Burrow and let him sit behind Dalton. No one will trade for Dalton because of his contract. He’s not worth the money
If they draft a QB #1 he’s not going to sit behind Dalton. Maybe 10 years ago but not in 2020.

Well no one wants Dalton so might as well use him since he’s getting paid 17 million

There are teams that want him; but figuring the Bengals will have to cut him, they can get him cheaper.
At this point, better to keep him and see if some other team has a QB injury, they can get something for him. Dalton still on the roster will not be the biggest mistake the Bengals make this year.

IMO Dalton is better than 5-6 current NFL starters. He will eventually land somewhere just not with the big paycheck number he currently has.

There are teams that want him; but figuring the Bengals will have to cut him, they can get him cheaper.
At this point, better to keep him and see if some other team has a QB injury, they can get something for him. Dalton still on the roster will not be the biggest mistake the Bengals make this year.
He is not very good and is top 30 highest paid players in the NFL. The Bengals are stuck with him with that stupid contract

The Bengals problem is not Andy Dalton. It's the front office and its inability to identify, acquire and retain talent.

He is not very good and is top 30 highest paid players in the NFL. The Bengals are stuck with him with that stupid contract

It is a good contract for a NFL QB
Teams with Rookie contract starters -Cle, Buf, Hou, Jets, Giants, Jack, Bal, Chi, Arz, KC, NE
QB not on a rookie contract:
Rams $36 [million]
Dal $31.5
Sea Wilson $31
SF Garoppolo $26.6
Ind Rivers $25
TB Brady $25
Pitt $23.7
NO $23.6
$23
Ten Tannenhill $22.5
GB Rodgers $21.6
Was A Smith $21.4
Det Stafford $21.3
Min Cousins $21
Atl Ryan $19
Phi Wentz $18.7
DALTON $17.7
Car Bridgewater $14
Mia Fitzpatrick $8
SD Taylor $7.5
Den Driskel $1.75 lol

The Bengals aren't stuck with the contract, either. They can cut him with no cap hit. If they can't trade him during or immediately after the draft, they will do so.