2020 CENTERVILLE ELKS

Centerville Elks 2020 record

• Total voters
It is going to be fun today watching Elks & Buckeye QB Herbstreit call the Ohio State/Clemson game with his boys on the Clemson team. Go Bucks!
Done with Kirk “they’re gonna need to take a peek at this” Herbstreit, some fans can actually see with their own eyes and don’t need his constant word vomit

Done with Kirk “they’re gonna need to take a peek at this” Herbstreit, some fans can actually see with their own eyes and don’t need his constant word vomit
I thought Herbie did a good job of calling the game as he was in a no-win situation trying to satisfy both fan bases. I did think Ohio State was the better team and thought the fumble/TD & targeting calls both getting overturned on replay was terrible.

Elksone...
You've got it right about the timing of the program & community with Bob Gregg's guidance. We were hungry. And that hunger was fed by a chef with extraordinary exuberance, passion & skill. It not only rubbed off, it sank in and the community embraced it. That mentality is gone. It was a community prided upon excellence with the goal of being the best and embracing the politically incorrect "toughness" a sport like football requires.
This new age "feel good" culture doesn't mix well with the football mindset. You gotta wanna hit people, physically dominate and all that entails. I still hold out hope for a semi return to greatness...but, I'll believe it only when I see it. Best of luck to next year's team.

Elksone...
You've got it right about the timing of the program & community with Bob Gregg's guidance. We were hungry. And that hunger was fed by a chef with extraordinary exuberance, passion & skill. It not only rubbed off, it sank in and the community embraced it. That mentality is gone. It was a community prided upon excellence with the goal of being the best and embracing the politically incorrect "toughness" a sport like football requires.
This new age "feel good" culture doesn't mix well with the football mindset. You gotta wanna hit people, physically dominate and all that entails. I still hold out hope for a semi return to greatness...but, I'll believe it only when I see it. Best of luck to next year's team.
Elks were the most dominant in 1986 and 1991 at the state championship level. Are you saying it has been downhill over the last 25 years?

Actually they were way more dominant from '75-'84. The '76 & '83 teams would have dominated Herbie's '86 team...and both would have beaten the '91 team. They were virtually impossible to score on. Mean, fast & physical. Both those teams had 4 Division I D lineman/linebackers and nasty secondaries. They played with a particularly bad disposition and a chip from hell on their shoulders.
As for down hill...No not entirely. The Elder Ullery still had a few good teams, particularly '04 & '08. I would say though other than the '16 team, since 2011, its been a bad trajectory in the wrong direction.

Actually they were way more dominant from '75-'84. The '76 & '83 teams would have dominated Herbie's '86 team...and both would have beaten the '91 team. They were virtually impossible to score on. Mean, fast & physical. Both those teams had 4 Division I D lineman/linebackers and nasty secondaries. They played with a particularly bad disposition and a chip from hell on their shoulders.
As for down hill...No not entirely. The Elder Ullery still had a few good teams, particularly '04 & '08. I would say though other than the '16 team, since 2011, its been a bad trajectory in the wrong direction.
that was 35-40 years ago and think too much has changed in every way to compare. I do think expecting 7-3 records should be minimum, which is the average over the last 20 years. The 2020 version of the Elks should get back to that level.

Last edited:
The biggest thing I've seen since roughly 2000 is that our society as a whole has reverted toward mediocrity. There is no longer as much emphasis placed on being the best in virtually everything. While the top of the pyramid, particularly in the college sports (Alabama football, Duke BB, New England Pro FB) has held steady...the middle of the pack teams never seem to cross the elite threshold, or be able to maintain that excellence.
In HS, look at Moeller, St. Iggy, St. X., Wayne, Centerville, Princeton, etc.
Even so, I, for one, will never accept a mediocre 7-3 C'ville football team. The goal should be 10-0, or bust. That's just me...

Ive followed this thread and I cant understand why anyone who knows anything about football of Elk Football is beating around this bush. This is a terrible coaching staff. Absolutely awful. This is a staff that has played Madden, watched college football on Saturday, bought real hip coaching clothes and somehow convinced the school board/administration that they should be in control of Centerville football. There is no coaching going on. Zero. There is a lot of clapping and cheering when things go right and yelling and screaming when things go wrong. No corrections. No scheme. Nothing. This is an awful coaching staff, and the problem begins and ends there. There is no more to it than that.

Before people snap back, yes I have watched them practice and play.

The biggest thing I've seen since roughly 2000 is that our society as a whole has reverted toward mediocrity. There is no longer as much emphasis placed on being the best in virtually everything. While the top of the pyramid, particularly in the college sports (Alabama football, Duke BB, New England Pro FB) has held steady...the middle of the pack teams never seem to cross the elite threshold, or be able to maintain that excellence.
In HS, look at Moeller, St. Iggy, St. X., Wayne, Centerville, Princeton, etc.
Even so, I, for one, will never accept a mediocre 7-3 C'ville football team. The goal should be 10-0, or bust. That's just me...
7-3 is not the goal, just the minimum in a down year vs. 2-8 or 4-6. 10-0 is the goal, but needs to be balanced with some realism about the level of talent and strength of SR class. 7-3 should be the down year and 8-2 or 9-1 the average with 10-0 every 5 years.

Ive followed this thread and I cant understand why anyone who knows anything about football of Elk Football is beating around this bush. This is a terrible coaching staff. Absolutely awful. This is a staff that has played Madden, watched college football on Saturday, bought real hip coaching clothes and somehow convinced the school board/administration that they should be in control of Centerville football. There is no coaching going on. Zero. There is a lot of clapping and cheering when things go right and yelling and screaming when things go wrong. No corrections. No scheme. Nothing. This is an awful coaching staff, and the problem begins and ends there. There is no more to it than that.

Before people snap back, yes I have watched them practice and play.
I agree the coaching staff has something to prove this year. The Elks have enough talent for 8-2 and playoffs this year.

Last edited:
As far as the coaches go, we all know the definition of insanity, nothing has changed and I expect to see more of the same. 5-5 or less is what I see.

As far as the coaches go, we all know the definition of insanity, nothing has changed and I expect to see more of the same. 5-5 or less is what I see.
The Elks are better than 5-5 on talent alone this year. It will be interesting to see if there are assistant coaching changes this spring.

I think there is a pretty strong consensus that its put up or shut up time for this coaching staff next season.
I think that should have been last year. They need or should make some changes this year. This program deserves to have better talent in coaching. As a person said above, yelling is not coaching. That culture has been there since The Rodney years and so has most of the coaches.

The mediocrity all begins with the Head Coach. Ullery is a douchebag. He is not very good at keeping quality coaches around him. Whether it is that he has a need to be in complete control or he doesn’t like a guy, there is something going on. I heard he has done some shady things the past few years to get rid of some of the coaches that he didn’t click with. The Elks best bet would be to can him and bring in a proven winner. Ullery was hired because he was a suck buddy with Dement. What was he, a offensive coordinator for a year? A program as big as CENTERVILLE can get almost any coach they want. Move on from this guy and get an actual good coach.

Lol i seen a bunch of parents on facebook bashing Cupps. How long before Ullery
I haven't seen that, but expectations at Centerville are still higher than .500. Football was 4-6 and Basketball is 10-11 right now. That is not good enough to keep the noise down among fans and parents

I haven't seen that, but expectations at Centerville are still higher than .500. Football was 4-6 and Basketball is 10-11 right now. That is not good enough to keep the noise down among fans and parents
Maybe not but social media and bashing Cupps who has more success then most coaches in the area is hilarious

I agree. I think Cupps has over-achieved with his talent over the last 4-5 years. Fans have a short memory
Their young, several first year varsity guys, a lot of inconsistencies with inexperienced teams the key is how are they competing? Are they in games? Are they blowouts? How many games were winnable that were close losses? Those turn into wins next season. I agree with you. The next 3 years can be special in Centerville.

Their young, several first year varsity guys, a lot of inconsistencies with inexperienced teams the key is how are they competing? Are they in games? Are they blowouts? How many games were winnable that were close losses? Those turn into wins next season. I agree with you. The next 3 years can be special in Centerville.
Just wondering what a “special 3 years” would be defined by Centerville fans. If the season goes well, what would be a reasonable record for the Elks?

Much as I hate too...I'll be the first to say it. The 2020 Elks record will be ...0-0. There ain't gonna be a season. Whether the virus peters out or no (probably not), the economy by August will be in full-on shambles. This will affect everything, including HS sports. Crucify me now...by August you won't care.