2020 Canton McKinley Football Season

It definitely was not a late hit....let alone a cheap shot....these guys are just trying to rile people up. On my TV, in real time you could see that there technically wasn't even a hit....Wise was....wisely.... (pun intended)....trying to rip the ball from Wesleys arm and Wesley went down.

Furthermore....how could it be a "late hit" when, in the first picture that Jeroe provided, contact is being made and they are both a good half yard inside the boundary, so let's move on to the next Massillon drama.

No dog in this fight but had to go and watch the play on youtube. There was definitely no late hit or anything cheap....in fact there was no "hit" at all, it looked to me like the the qb tripped over the drain that is on the sideline. Don't know how anyone can say it was late or cheap.

No dog in this fight but had to go and watch the play on youtube. There was definitely no late hit or anything cheap....in fact there was no "hit" at all, it looked to me like the the qb tripped over the drain that is on the sideline. Don't know how anyone can say it was late or cheap.

I have both fools on ignore but can easily guess it was either or both, and we all know how. Good luck tonight, seriously.

It's midweek and nothing since Friday,anyone have info on this team the Bulldogs are playing next.May be more than just the last game of the season for some...BAM!

McK vs Brunswick
--McK series 5-0
-- all were OHSAA Playoff games
~ McDaniels
1996 35-16 Regional Semi-final @ UA Akron Rubber Bowl
~ Miller
2001 14-7 Opening playoff game @ Fawcett
~ Cross
2004 35-14 Regional Title game @ Massillon PBTS
2005 35-17 Opening playoff game @ Fawcett
2006 45-27 Regional Semi-final @ Kent KSU Dix Stadium

----
Brunswick 2020 (5-2)
V = Joe Eitel link

Lost to Euclid 14-7 / Euclid (5-2) plays St.Ignatius next
Hammered by Mentor 38-0 ~ plays Stow (5-1) next
Beat... Medina / Elyria / Strongsville / Garfield Hgts / Mass. Jackson

I would not be surprised to see a Brunswick win.

:>---

Special thanks to DaveDawg / data from cantonmckinley.com football history

SALT

Last edited:
McKinley needs M. Powell back for this game , don't know the existent of his injury last week, McKinley louse's this game if he's not, they are a run first throw later team an they are big up front, just watched some of the Jackson game there backs run down hill

McK vs Brunswick
--McK series 5-0
-- all were OHSAA Playoff games
~ McDaniels
1996 35-16 Regional Semi-final @ UA Akron Rubber Bowl
~ Miller
2001 14-7 Opening playoff game @ Fawcett
~ Cross
2004 35-14 Regional Title game @ Massillon PBTS
2005 35-17 Opening playoff game @ Fawcett
2006 45-27 Regional Semi-final @ Kent KSU Dix Stadium

----
Brunswick 2020 (5-2)
V = Joe Eitel link

Lost to Euclid 14-7 / Euclid (5-2) plays St.Ignatius next
Hammered by Mentor 38-0 ~ plays Stow (5-1) next
Beat... Medina / Elyria / Strongsville / Garfield Hgts / Mass. Jackson

I would not be surprised to see a Brunswick win.

Special thanks to DaveDawg / data from cantonmckinley.com football history

SALT
Agree

Pups lose 14-27

Finish with a record of 7-3 with an early exit from the post season

Head Coach Marcus Wattley

2019: 1st year
+ overall record 9-3
+ Regular season record 8-2
+ Federal League Champions (6-0)
- Post season record 1-1
- Lost to Massillon
~ Harbin ranking 4th

2020: 2nd year
+ overall record 5-3
+ Regular season record 4-2
- Federal League (4-1) ~ no game vs. Green
- Post season record 1-1
- Lost to Massillon
~ Harbin ranking 4th

2 year accum
+ overall record 14-6 (.700)
+ Regular season record 12-4 (.750)
+ Federal League 10-1 (.909)
- Post season record 2-2 (.500)
- Massillon series 0-2

2019 grade C-
2020 grade D-

SALT

Well, the season ended as it started in the toilet. Very poorly coached team that tanked against a better coached team. If Wattley stays there has to be some major changes in his defensive staff. - you know someone that can teach the boys how to tackle. His offense is going to be be lost because his only weapon is gone and his only weapon fizzled last night. Honest to God McKinley reminds me of those Cleveland inner city schools like Cleveland East Tech.

Wattley is the defensive coordinator so the buck stops at his desk, are they plaining to play any more games or are they done, with so many injured put the underclassmen in get some play time

Well, the season ended as it started in the toilet. Very poorly coached team that tanked against a better coached team. If Wattley stays there has to be some major changes in his defensive staff. - you know someone that can teach the boys how to tackle. His offense is going to be be lost because his only weapon is gone and his only weapon fizzled last night. Honest to God McKinley reminds me of those Cleveland inner city schools like Cleveland East Tech.
Watching the replay right now. Poor coaching didn’t pop out at me. Minimal penalties both sides. McKinley couldn’t deal with Brunswick excellent O-line in the first half. Think they lost this one in the trenches.

I've made this statement about Wattley several weeks ago, regarding his lack of strong credentials to be even given the reins of head football coach at Canton McKinley. Not only has he squandered decent talent on the varsity roster the past two seasons, he has done very little to develop the 7th and 8th grade program. I've attempted to look for the light at the end of the tunnel. The only light is a freight train coming out of the tunnel at 200 miles an hour.
In summary, Wattley is an over-rated assistant coach. Maybe he'll get a reality check and recognize that he is way over his head and do everyone a favor and just resign and move on. Very importantly, a qualified hiring committee needs to be formed to screen the coaching candidates. By "qualified" I don't mean someone who just because he played football at McKinley is qualified to make multi-dimensional assessments and evaluations of a coaching candidate. McKinley football program, at this low point, does not require emotionalism, but rather the analytical ability to dig deep into the credentials of coach interviewing for 8th winningest high school program in the nation. Start with evaluating coaching candidates who can bring tough discipline and attract players of high character. If the varsity football roster drops from 75-80 down to 45-50, so be it. Another prerequiste for the Canton City Board of Edducation is to adopt a policy of open enrollment. Canton is no longer, and never will be again, a town of 125,000 people.
The football program needs the ability to draw player of exceptional talent and character from everywhere. Otherwise, the Bulldogs will NEVER beat Massillon again, let alone win another state championship!

Watching the replay right now. Poor coaching didn’t pop out at me. Minimal penalties both sides. McKinley couldn’t deal with Brunswick excellent O-line in the first half. Think they lost this one in the trenches.
I disagree that team is far from excellent. How many Div I players are on their o-line? But they performed better because they knew basic blocking technique. Minimal penalties mean nothing; that depends on the refs whether they call it close or not. Lost in the trenches? Yes , I agree, its hard to be dominate in the trenches when you can't or don't know how to block or tackle. That a suburban school like Brunswick has more talent than Canton is laughable at best.

Last edited:
I've made this statement about Wattley several weeks ago, regarding his lack of strong credentials to be even given the reins of head football coach at Canton McKinley. Not only has he squandered decent talent on the varsity roster the past two seasons, he has done very little to develop the 7th and 8th grade program. I've attempted to look for the light at the end of the tunnel. The only light is a freight train coming out of the tunnel at 200 miles an hour.
In summary, Wattley is an over-rated assistant coach. Maybe he'll get a reality check and recognize that he is way over his head and do everyone a favor and just resign and move on. Very importantly, a qualified hiring committee needs to be formed to screen the coaching candidates. By "qualified" I don't mean someone who just because he played football at McKinley is qualified to make multi-dimensional assessments and evaluations of a coaching candidate. McKinley football program, at this low point, does not require emotionalism, but rather the analytical ability to dig deep into the credentials of coach interviewing for 8th winningest high school program in the nation. Start with evaluating coaching candidates who can bring tough discipline and attract players of high character. If the varsity football roster drops from 75-80 down to 45-50, so be it. Another prerequiste for the Canton City Board of Edducation is to adopt a policy of open enrollment. Canton is no longer, and never will be again, a town of 125,000 people.
The football program needs the ability to draw player of exceptional talent and character from everywhere. Otherwise, the Bulldogs will NEVER beat Massillon again, let alone win another state championship!

I do agree that the Canton School System relies too heavily on giving ex-Canton jocks jobs when they can't work else where. Usually with disastrous results. Remember Spider Miller? The first thing they need is to get a head coach that is known for his well disciplined teams and tough defenses. White at Hilliard Davidson comes to mind. They should rely more on seeing films of his teams than someone's opinion "oh, he'll be a good coach because he looks clean cut or he is related to one of the boosters and he says he's a classy guy."

They better had start thinking about getting out of the FED too. Its been a disaster being locked to an all Stark County league.