2020-21 State From Ohio Wrestling News

1_beast

1610047951561.png

Will they commit to streaming the matches if attendance is limited to only coaches and apparently 448 spectators per site? (16 wresters*14 weights*2) not including alternates which would add another 112 spectators (4 alternates *14 weight classes*2) = 560 in total. I'm betting they will want to gouge to allow it to be streamed instead of doing the right thing and making it a nominal fee for the entire tournament. Maybe Flo/Track could handle and do it on a nominal pay-per-view fee. Line up advertisers to cut costs, etc. It's the least that could be done for the wrestlers so their friends and extended family could watch them at state.

Curious what schools and how they will go about finals, hopefully they can use gyms that have spotlights. I am not familiar with central ohio so not sure which H.S. venues would be best.

Curious what schools and how they will go about finals, hopefully they can use gyms that have spotlights. I am not familiar with central ohio so not sure which H.S. venues would be best.

My guess is geography will not be at the forefront as to where they take place. It may not be ideal for many teams but I wouldn't be surprised if only one or none take place in Central Ohio.

My guess is geography will not be at the forefront as to where they take place. It may not be ideal for many teams but I wouldn't be surprised if only one or none take place in Central Ohio.
The memo said likely Central Ohio high schools for all 3 divisions is why i referred to that. I dont think it makes sense to send teams across the state when there are options to "meet in the middle"

The memo said likely Central Ohio high schools for all 3 divisions is why i referred to that. I dont think it makes sense to send teams across the state when there are options to "meet in the middle"

Ah, okay. I missed that. I had just heard that one school had been asked about hosting quite a while ago and it is definitely not centrally located. I agree it does make the most sense. I just figured that the deciding factor would be gym capacity more so than location.

Lets see:

Hilliard Darby - they could host a division. They would be coming off D1 central district. Parking good. Enough seating. Two gyms.

Olentangy Liberty - big enough, plenty parking.

Otterbein university

Fairgrounds is big enough and prob not too expensive.

Convention center downtown - prob too expensive. But maybe not this year. They have many large areas that could host a division.

Covelli Center on OSU campus - might be perfect if OSU would allow.

Someone told me that OHSAA has indicated the state tournament will be at three locations, though nothing has officially been announced yet, with all locations being around Columbus.

Completely speculating, but you are talking about three high school facilities with enough capacity to accommodate a couple spectators per athlete. Another complete speculation, I think you see some sort of split session approach to further enable the distancing/capacity restrictions - it's pretty much been hinted that sectional and district tournaments will involve split sessions (at least in the northeast).

Covelli would be awesome, would most likely be d1?
Bucksman, any word when district boards will release sectional draw info? We’re a way out just curious.

BuckeyeFan94,

put it this way, it's going to be high schools. Ohio State doesn't really want to have their facilities used by OHSAA, and when they do it's cost prohibitive.

Northeast released team assignments yesterday.

My only worry would be schools in Franklin County after what happened with football. For all I know that conversation may've already happened.

My only worry would be schools in Franklin County after what happened with football. For all I know that conversation may've already happened.
It is possible to select Locations around Columbus that are NOT in Franklin County. And after football I think it would be wise to select locations outside Franklin for that exact purpose.

What happened with football? All I know is it is mis- January. I hope someone can get this going soon! Sectionals are a month and a half away.

If they really want to stream-line things they'd slap a division in each of the Hilliard Schools. Their Main and Aux Gyms are all 3 designed almost exactly the same, no?

Could make one plan that applies to all 3 sites nearly to a tee.

Girl's State was awesome last year - and it was at Davidson. Central District (as we all know and was previously mentioned) takes place at Darby and it is awesome every year. We'll all be itching to get back to the Schott/a worthy arena, but these are solid options.

Just saying, if it were me who was tasked with figuring this out, I'd want to make it happen in Hilliard. The main concern being that it is in Franklin county though, which was also mentioned previously.

I think the best model is going to have 3 different tournaments in 3 different areas.
I do like the idea of finding 3 suburban columbus schools. Maybe a Hilliard, a dublin and an olentangy?
The other Idea would be to put it in 3 very different parts. Maybe Dayton (Not sure what schools would be best, but I know there are options), Toledo (Clay/ Perrsyburg), Canton/ Akron (I would love to see McKinley host)..

I would Think there are many D1 schools who could host...
Maybe have D1 schools host d2/ d3 and find a college venue to host D1? (Covelli, Ashland, Wright State, we have a ton of D3 schools, would any make sense?)

Someone told me that OHSAA has indicated the state tournament will be at three locations, though nothing has officially been announced yet, with all locations being around Columbus.

Completely speculating, but you are talking about three high school facilities with enough capacity to accommodate a couple spectators per athlete. Another complete speculation, I think you see some sort of split session approach to further enable the distancing/capacity restrictions - it's pretty much been hinted that sectional and district tournaments will involve split sessions (at least in the northeast).

Almost have to have split sessions if the 300 spectator limit is still in place. Or multiple gyms...

I think the best model is going to have 3 different tournaments in 3 different areas.
I do like the idea of finding 3 suburban columbus schools. Maybe a Hilliard, a dublin and an olentangy?
The other Idea would be to put it in 3 very different parts. Maybe Dayton (Not sure what schools would be best, but I know there are options), Toledo (Clay/ Perrsyburg), Canton/ Akron (I would love to see McKinley host)..

I would Think there are many D1 schools who could host...
Maybe have D1 schools host d2/ d3 and find a college venue to host D1? (Covelli, Ashland, Wright State, we have a ton of D3 schools, would any make sense?)

Well, the whole thing used to be at Nutter (Wright State). They could possibly work something out with OHSAA I would think, but that isn't centrally located, so I'd say it's doubtful. Otterbien may make sense, but I've only ever been in their fieldhouse (WAA, Freestyle and Greco State).

suplex21:
Good ideas. What you said makes sense to me.
Why wouldn't a college/university want to host a state tournament? Although perhaps taking on the responsibility of the Covid Venue requirements may be the issue.
What helps colleges recruit students?- The students visit the campus. With the tournament, you will have both student-athletes & 2- parent(s).
Ashland U for example sits in NORTH central Ohio with a great location right off I-71 with plenty of hotels. Plus, AU has one of the best convocation/cafeterias in the land.

Last edited:
Number 1 factor will be what county health departments will work with the hosting school and ohsaa to ensure state tournament goes on as scheduled. After having to move football state games at last minute I'm betting they want to avoid this with wrestling. Location being central or not will not be a big deal to them. Getting the tournament in whats important, if my son would be fortunate enough to make the big show I would drive 12 hrs to watch, as would most other parents.

Just my opinion on this but after canceling last year altogether anything is better than nothing.

What helps colleges recruit students?- The students visit the campus. With the tournament, you will have both student-athletes & 2- parent(s).
Ashland U for example sits in NORTH central Ohio with a great location right off I-71 with plenty of hotels. Plus, AU has one of the best convocation/cafeterias in the land.

Legendary... (y)

One of the challenges to having the event at a college is going to be facility rental cost. The other challenge would be that if colleges are barely letting regular students onto their campuses - and if students are on campus, they are very restricted in what they can do and where they can go - how would it look that they bring in 200+ athletes, two parents per athlete, and 2+ coaches per school onto their campus?

One of the challenges to having the event at a college is going to be facility rental cost. The other challenge would be that if colleges are barely letting regular students onto their campuses - and if students are on campus, they are very restricted in what they can do and where they can go - how would it look that they bring in 200+ athletes, two parents per athlete, and 2+ coaches per school onto their campus?

Not to mention those that are having sports in their gyms have had extremely limited, if they allowed fans at all. I wonder if they gave the date range to allow split days even?