2020-21 OHSAA State Duals

Per OHSAA media relations director Tim Stried, the cancellation was solely financial. The only COVID thing associated with the cancellation is that the COVID situation put the OHSAA in a really bad financial position where they can't absorb an event that is a perennial money loser. OHSAA was deliberating cancellation of this event before the COVID messed up their finances.

The most recent format of this event led to more financial loss than the previous format.

Just to throw it out there, we all know the finances of this event.

Personally, I think it is good for our sport.

That said, I understand the times. Realistically, while VERY unpopular, this may have eliminated a postseason option.

If dual tourney is out, I get by financial means, what does that say for individual?

I'm just asking for thought on this decision. Important for us to think about how we might make the dual tournament a better event.

At the same time, we MUST be thinking about how we will run this seasons individual.

As wrestlers, we can as a collective, come up with solutions. I whole heartedly believe that!

But yet they still plan on having Boys and Girls Basketball State held at St John's arena. Yeah that makes sense!!

They certainly could've helped themselves NOT lose money by NOT having it on Sunday...hosting it on a Saturday would've produced much more fans and the teams eliminated probably would stay and watch the rest of the tournament rather than scurry back to their home towns because they have school the next day.

Reactions: jct
Per OHSAA media relations director Tim Stried, the cancellation was solely financial. The only COVID thing associated with the cancellation is that the COVID situation put the OHSAA in a really bad financial position where they can't absorb an event that is a perennial money loser. OHSAA was deliberating cancellation of this event before the COVID messed up their finances.

The most recent format of this event led to more financial loss than the previous format.

Do you have access to the financials for the last 2 years when they did Super Regionals. I would have thought that would have saved them $ based on the fact that you're going from 96 sites to 24. I figured it would still be in the red but less so. Would like to see the financials for all the years of the event if possible

Had some discussions yesterday, agree on the finances but I'm not sure they come back next year unless the Coaches Association sponsors them. Let's be honest, there's going to be some long term impact on the OHSAA. Especially if we don't get the football playoffs in....and they aren't going to make nearly the amount they normally do.

It was explained to me as a money issue and having basically 2 state tournaments for one sport and that sport isn't a money maker.

I agree with 3 separate sites for the tournaments. I like the current format, but we should instead hold each of the championship tournaments at some HS that won't cost as much as St. John's. Yes, competing in St. John's is a great experience, but wrestling in a State tournament with your team is a far greater one. I just don't pretend to understand the level of politics (or stubbornness) at play here. If the season gets cancelled, perhaps it'll be an opportunity for OAC to step right in, hold all of these events, make a ton of money, and show OHSAA how it can be done. Privately-run is almost always more efficient and cost-effective than public-run events. Plus, I'm quite sure we won't get the opportunity to wrestle kids from out of state or participate in any big tournaments, so I'm beginning to see more and more the potential benefits of having a private, non-OHSAA season. Plenty of downsides to consider to be sure, but our options may be very limited.

Why does everyone just assume that if the OSHAA cancels or significantly reduces the season that the OAC is just going to hop in and host all these events? Where are they going to host them? Certainly won‘t be able to host them at a High School facility if the OHSAA is putting restrictions on the season. What College is going to let them use their facilities when College Sports are so hit and miss right now? That only leaves private / corporate facilities, and I can’t imagine those would come cheap either. Just look at what the OAC did last year when things got cancelled...they cancelled their events as well. They don’t want to take on the liability any more than any other organization.

And do we pretend like the restrictions won't apply to a private organization? Heck with competitions...where will all these private clubs practice?

Clubs are already having practice and camps, some states are having national events! Fort Wayne, IN has a 750 plus kid tournament next week. Venues are hurting for money, it can be done. Take your mask off and take a breath! OAC can take over and leave ohsaa in the dust! RIP ohsaa wrestling. Time to move on from the political pandemic. 6% of the covid 19 death toll was actually from covid 19. That is way less than the common flu. My sone has been practicing since April. Good luck to the Under Ground Wrestling Club next weekend!

Clubs are already having practice and camps, some states are having national events! Fort Wayne, IN has a 750 plus kid tournament next week. Venues are hurting for money, it can be done. Take your mask off and take a breath! OAC can take over and leave ohsaa in the dust! RIP ohsaa wrestling. Time to move on from the political pandemi6% of the covid 19 death toll was actually from covid 19. That is way less than the common flu. My sone has been practicing since April. Good luck to the Under Ground Wrestling Club next weeken

6% of the death toll is from Covid by itself. The rest is from Covid along with other morbidity, meaning that while Covid was not the only cause, it was one of the causes. This is what is meant by comorbidity.

6% of the death toll is from Covid by itself. The rest is from Covid along with other morbidity, meaning that while Covid was not the only cause, it was one of the causes. This is what is meant by comorbidity.
Yeah, heart attacks and cancer and some of those were just covid symptoms. “Yeah they were very liberal” with covid deaths.

Yeah, heart attacks and cancer and some of those were just covid symptoms. “Yeah they were very liberal” with covid deaths.

Nope, those are comorbidity issues, not Covid symptoms, but it's not my job to educate people on how comorbidity works.

No kidding, but people who died from these things got covid 19 on their death certificate. There are cases where people are in court where their loved ones were terminally ill with cancer and they put covid 19 on their death certificate and life insurance wouldn’t pay because covid 19 is a “pandemic” . Hold onto your pandemic, not that covid 19 isn’t serious for some but it’s not a pandemic. Just like it came from bats and asymptomatic people could spread it. So I’m over it and ready to go back to normal and not doing the “new normal”.

Yep, I've seen where that is happening, but there are also plenty of cases where people have heart problems or lung issues and could have lived for several more decades, but didn't because when couples with Covid, it was fatal. Those people are not part of the 6% you cited.

2020 finances have not come out yet for team/individual wrestling, or at least aren't on the OHSAA site.

2019 (First year of super regionals) - team wrestling had an across the board net loss of 60K, the overall individual tournament had a net gain of 155K
2018 - team lost 10K, individual gained 148K
2017 - team lost 38K, individual gained 182K
2016 - team lost 29K, individual gained 182K
2015 - team lost 53K, individual gained 170K