2020-2021 OHIO STATE BASKETBALL

Liddell enters draft ?

Chris Vogt of UC entered the NBA draft last year. He averaged less than 19 minutes per game, 5ppg and 3.5 rpg. UK encourages everyone, including their walk-ons, to enter the NBA draft every year. It means absolutely nothing other than the player is allowed to meet with teams to see what he needs to work on to potentially get drafted down the road.

Like I said, you know absolutely nothing about college basketball or the NBA.

Based off of what was emphasized in his statement, Liddell is going to be back unless he gets very rosy feedback going through the draft process...and he's not.

Needs to shoot the ball more consistently from the perimeter, and he needs more game tape defending wing players in space, which unfortunately for him requires Chris Holtmann finding a real center instead of playing small defensive lineups. The only power forwards he could maybe guard in the pros are the guys that are effectively catch and shoot floor spacers.

Last edited:
Chris Vogt of UC entered the NBA draft last year. He averaged less than 19 minutes per game, 5ppg and 3.5 rpg. UK encourages everyone, including their walk-ons, to enter the NBA draft every year. It means absolutely nothing other than the player is allowed to meet with teams to see what he needs to work on to potentially get drafted down the road.

Like I said, you know absolutely nothing about college basketball or the NBA.
Hes gone. Sorry you pinned your hopes on him being back.

It's been announced that they'll be participating in early season tip-off tournaments the next two years.

2021 Fort Myers Tip-Off (2 games): Florida, Cal, and Seton Hall

2022 Maui Invitational (3 games): Arkansas, Arizona, Cincinnati, Creighton, Louisville, San Diego State, and Texas Tech

Based off of what was emphasized in his statement, Liddell is going to be back unless he gets very rosy feedback going through the draft process...and he's not.

Needs to shoot the ball more consistently from the perimeter, and he needs more game tape defending wing players in space, which unfortunately for him requires Chris Holtmann finding a real center instead of playing small defensive lineups. The only power forwards he could maybe guard in the pros are the guys that are effectively catch and shoot floor spacers.
You hit the nail right on the head with that statement. Would Liddell develop better in the G - league ( league minimum 35000 ) or even in Europe playing his natural position instead of being forced to play center at OSU. Plus I could see one of the better teams in the NBA drafting Liddell and developing him while he sits on the bench.

Would Liddell develop better in the G - league ( league minimum 35000 ) or even in Europe playing his natural position instead of being forced to play center at OSU.

Most likely - although, especially in Europe, coaches are less worried about development and more worried about winning. But yeah, of course you're going to develop faster/better if you're constantly playing your natural position.

Plus I could see one of the better teams in the NBA drafting Liddell and developing him while he sits on the bench.

Liddell is an unreal college player but I just don't see him successful in the NBA. I liken him to a JT Barrett, Tim Tebow, etc. Hyper successful in college, skill just doesn't translate to the pros. He's an old school PF style of play in a current age SF body. He doesn't have the quickness, handles or shooting to play the 3 in the NBA and he's just too small to play the 4 or 5, unless a team wants to utilize him as a PJ Tucker-like center, and I don't see that happening. I can't see the Lakers, Bucks, Nets, etc. using a draft pick on him.

Received a commitment from Indiana transfer Joey Brunk, who started his career at Butler during Holtmann's last season there.

Sat out this year with some type of injury, but he started for the Hoosiers in 2019-20 and averaged roughly 7 pts and 5 rebs. The only stats that really matter here is this dude is listed at 6'11 255, and he should help Ohio State a ton as a post defender when he's getting minutes.

There might not be more than 15 or so minutes for this kid to play next year, and that's fine. He can make a big impact by just guarding the post, protecting the rim, and grabbing a handful of rebounds. If Liddell and Washington return like most assume, this team should legitimately go 10-11 deep. Minutes are probably going to be difficult to come by off the bench, and may fluctuate a lot depending upon the matchup.

I'd imagine they'll start Wheeler, Washington, Sueing, Liddell and Young. Ahrens will get moved to being the first or second guy off the bench along with Meechie and Brunk.

Last edited:
There might not be more than 15 or so minutes for this kid to play next year, and that's fine. He can make a big impact by just guarding the post, protecting the rim, and grabbing a handful of rebounds. If Liddell and Washington return like most assume, this team should legitimately go 10-11 deep. Minutes are probably going to be difficult to come by off the bench, and may fluctuate a lot depending upon the matchup.

I'd imagine they'll start Wheeler, Washington, Sueing, Liddell and Young. Ahrens will get moved to being the first or second guy off the bench along with Meechie and Brunk.
No Zed?

It's going to be tough to find minutes at times IMO unless Liddell leaves...same with Towns unless his knee is a lot better than it was this year. Unless more players exit, right now I'd say they'll have 11 guys with Branham as the 11th that should be deserving of averaging 10+ minutes. I'd imagine that Liddell, Washington, Sueing and Wheeler will all average 27-29 minutes. You're probably looking at 50 or so minutes at the 4 and 5 spots between Young, Brunk and Zed, and that assumes they don't small ball it some with Towns or Sueing as the 4.

It's going to be tough to find minutes at times IMO unless Liddell leaves...same with Towns unless his knee is a lot better than it was this year. Unless more players exit, right now I'd say they'll have 11 guys with Branham as the 11th that should be deserving of averaging 10+ minutes. I'd imagine that Liddell, Washington, Sueing and Wheeler will all average 27-29 minutes. You're probably looking at 50 or so minutes at the 4 and 5 spots between Young, Brunk and Zed, and that assumes they don't small ball it some with Towns or Sueing as the 4.
Keep em' fresh. I'd love to see all out full court defensive pressure the whole game and they now have the bench to pull it off.

Where will he go,who would want him?
I don't know what Diallo is hoping for, but I can say that most assuredly nearly every school in the MAC and other mid-major leagues would be happy getting him. If he just wants to play, he may go that route.

I don't know what Diallo is hoping for, but I can say that most assuredly nearly every school in the MAC and other mid-major leagues would be happy getting him. If he just wants to play, he may go that route.
There must be a reason he sits the bench. He needs PT wherever he goes.

There must be a reason he sits the bench. He needs PT wherever he goes.
That reason is that he is not physically strong, nor talented enough to impact a Big Ten / Top 25 NCAA program. But he would be a force in the MAC, just based on his size.