2020-2021 OHIO STATE BASKETBALL

I don’t watch enough IU basketball to know if Archie is the problem for IU basketball but I was pretty bummed at the time that OSU didn’t move on from Thad sooner to get Archie before IU and had to settle for Holtmann, I’m now pretty glad to have been wrong about that.

I don't think OSU shot the ball well today, and they were still able to handle a decent IU team. The depth is something special, and I think they can get even better yet. Let's hope they keep playing well for another couple of months.

Hard to believe, but I heard after Justin Ahrens made a three pointer in the IU game it was the 47 shot he has made and all but one were the three point kind. The one two he made his toe was touching the line.

I don’t watch enough IU basketball to know if Archie is the problem for IU basketball but I was pretty bummed at the time that OSU didn’t move on from Thad sooner to get Archie before IU and had to settle for Holtmann, I’m now pretty glad to have been wrong about that.
A lot of us wanted Archie for OSU. So glad we got Holtmann instead. At some point Gene Smith deserves a lot of credit for his coaching hires in all the big sports,

I don't think OSU shot the ball well today, and they were still able to handle a decent IU team. The depth is something special, and I think they can get even better yet. Let's hope they keep playing well for another couple of months.
Agreed the depth is remarkable. In this game we got almost nothing from Ahrens and a below normal game from Washington, but Sueing, Key and CJ picked it up. The prior game we got nothing from Sueing and Key, and below par from EJ, but Ahrens and Washington carried the load. If we ever fire on all cylinders it will be a sight to see.

There is a good reason a lot of Buckeye fans wanted Archie. He had ties to the program and he had it going on at Dayton. Had he been hired by OSU, he might actually be doing better than he has at IU, due to his personality...as is mentioned in the article. In the end, though, I am very happy OSU got Holtmann instead. He's a keeper.

Good win tonight getting one on the road at Penn State, overcoming an 8 point deficit with about 14 minutes left in the game to win by double digits. They've struggled a lot against the Nittany Lions the last few years and this felt like a big weekday trap game before a top-5 showdown with Michigan this weekend.

OSU always struggles against Penn State, so it was a really good win. The next 4 games are huge for seeding. 3-1 would guarantee a 1 seed. Heck, even 2-2 might make the Bucks a 1 seed.

Good win tonight getting one on the road at Penn State, overcoming an 8 point deficit with about 14 minutes left in the game to win by double digits. They've struggled a lot against the Nittany Lions the last few years and this felt like a big weekday trap game before a top-5 showdown with Michigan this weekend.

First win in Happy Valley for the Basketbucks under Holtmann.

OSU always struggles against Penn State, so it was a really good win. The next 4 games are huge for seeding. 3-1 would guarantee a 1 seed. Heck, even 2-2 might make the Bucks a 1 seed.

I'd agree. The end of the schedule is loaded and they have three more opportunities to get headline wins. If they go 2-2 including winning at Michigan State they are probably locked in on the 2 line and on the bubble for a 1 seed. Going 3-1 over the home stretch guarantees a 1 seed.

I'd agree. The end of the schedule is loaded and they have three more opportunities to get headline wins. If they go 2-2 including winning at Michigan State they are probably locked in on the 2 line and on the bubble for a 1 seed. Going 3-1 over the home stretch guarantees a 1 seed.
I think you are probably right. Even if OSU goes 2-2 they may get 1 seed consideration given all the Quad 1 wins and no bad (quad 3) losses.

Remarkable for a team picked to finish 7th in the Big Ten preseason. If Holtmann is not Coach of the Year there must be some other coach having a historically good season that I am not thinking of. And we had 2 Yappi geniuses (Brian1227 and ShakenNotStirred) that wanted him fired a few weeks ago. LOL.

I think you are probably right. Even if OSU goes 2-2 they may get 1 seed consideration given all the Quad 1 wins and no bad (quad 3) losses.

Remarkable for a team picked to finish 7th in the Big Ten preseason. If Holtmann is not Coach of the Year there must be some other coach having a historically good season that I am not thinking of. And we had 2 Yappi geniuses (Brian1227 and ShakenNotStirred) that wanted him fired a few weeks ago. LOL.

I believe Michigan was picked 6th in the preseason. Holtmann and Juwan Howard should be the only coaches in the discussion for Big Ten COY.

He (Holtmann) deserves it, but who knows. Howard has a claim, he'll get it if he beats OSU and retains the #1 in the B1G.

OSU played really well and lost to a great team (16-1, 3rd in the country). So of course some dopes complain. See above. ?‍♂️

As posted on the game thread - the bottom line is that the OSU Achilles Heel continues to be good big men, and Wilkinson is 7'1", strong as heck, and skilled. He was the difference.

When we play other great big men (Cockburn @ Illinois, Garza @ Iowa, and maybe Michigan again in the tourney) we need to get more time for Zed Key to at least bang on them in the post some more. But the matchups will remain a problem just based on sheer size differential.

OSU played really well and lost to a great team (16-1, 3rd in the country). So of course some dopes complain. See above. ?‍♂️

As posted on the game thread - the bottom line is that the OSU Achilles Heel continues to be good big men, and Wilkinson is 7'1", strong as heck, and skilled. He was the difference.

When we play other great big men (Cockburn @ Illinois, Garza @ Iowa, and maybe Michigan again in the tourney) we need to get more time for Zed Key to at least bang on them in the post some more. But the matchups will remain a problem just based on sheer size differential.
Hunter Dickinson.

Sorry - yep. I keep saying Wilkinson - not sure why. Either way, he is a load. And more skilled than expected.
It was easy to know who you were talking about. That was the first Michigan game I watched this year. I was impressed with the entire team. But Dickinson was really good.

It sounds like Kyle Young will be out tomorrow with a concussion that he incurred late in Sunday's game.

Michigan State is coming off of back-to-back league wins and just scored a huge home win yesterday against Illinois. This is going to be a very tough road trip.

It sounds like Kyle Young will be out tomorrow with a concussion that he incurred late in Sunday's game.

Michigan State is coming off of back-to-back league wins and just scored a huge home win yesterday against Illinois. This is going to be a very tough road trip.

Yep. Kyle will be missed for sure, especially against a physical team. Musa Jallow may miss again with his knee/ankle issue that caused him to miss the game with UM. Pay no attention to the Spartans record. They always recruit well and are well coached. Will be a tough game to win short-handed.

Holtmann is now 46–31 at OSU in BIG play, 1st season was 15 - 3 since than a 500 coach in BIG.

lololol you've been so quiet lately and now show up when they lose 3 in a row, after winning 7 in a row? What a nerd. And last I checked 31-28 is not 0.500. You don't know anything about basketball and you can't perform basic math functions like subtraction? Rough life you got.

Remember when you made this post?

LOL great trajectory another 500 BIG season yeah that is fantastic.

First loss in this three game losing streak that I'm kind of concerned about. Michigan is arguably as good as anyone in the country and they were right there until the end. Michigan State is getting hot and also beat Illinois that week. Iowa is legit top-10 team IMO, but it's concerning that they turned the ball over too frequently. They could have shot it better, but it's a bigger issue that between their turnovers and the handful of offensive rebounds they gave up Iowa took 11 more shots from the field and 5 more from the charity stripe. Against a team that's as good as Iowa is offensively that's a formula for getting blown out.

They need to regain some positive momentum against Illinois and in the conference tournament heading into March Madness.