2019 Unknown/Open Weeks - Updated 9/30

Ligonier Valley in PA is looking for a game this weekend. United had to cancel after a rash of injuries the past two weeks.

They were hosting a throwback game at what is now their elementary school, the former Laurel Valley HS pre merger. Were going to wear throwback uniforms and also had festivities for reunions taking place.

Now a game is in doubt.

Strange, but Monroeville just posted on Facebook last night that they had Notre Dame Saturday at 5. Perhaps ND was looking at other options at one point and coach was not caught up. It is odd, though, because this Columbus Academy of Urban Scholars charter school has not popped on any schedule elsewhere

Last edited:
Latest list of Open or Unknown weeks from the posted Yappi schedules. Previous discussion thread

Week 1
Cincinnati Country Day
Cuyahoga Heights

Week 2
Lancaster (Was Hamilton (ON) Cathedral)

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5
Dayton Jefferson Township
Morral Ridgedale (Was St. John)

Week 6
Corning Miller (Was Latham Western)

Week 7
Cleveland Lincoln West

Week 8
Steubenville
Tiffin Calvert (Was St. Mary CC)

Week 9
Castalia Margaretta (Was St. Mary CC)
Louisville St. Thomas Aquinas (Was St. John)

Week 10
Cincinnati Winton Woods
Lancaster Fairfield Christian (Was Bishop Rosecrans)
Ottawa Hills
Sherwood Fairview (Was Holgate)

Updated first post in the thread.

It was mentioned earlier in this thread that Elgin is low on numbers but still playing 11 man. Are there any programs that are in danger of not completing the season and/or most likely to move to 8 man next year. I would think Stryker and Danbury might be playing 8 man next season, hopefully they can complete this season. It appears both of them are playing some 8 man games already. I also read that Vanlue is very low on numbers. With some teams still looking for 11 man games, I hate to see 11 man teams playing 8 man opponents but its becoming common. I have no problem with teams playing 8 man football if thats what the numbers dictate, I would just prefer that 11 man teams play 11 man teams when possible. Thanks for any info you may have.

Edit: As soon as I posted I saw a thread stating Elgin cancelled week 2 game - curious is they are taking it week by week

If it's week-to-week that's pretty tough, especially where there are teams local to Elgin that need week 8 and 9 games.

Added Elgin / Adena to Week 2.

These issues certainly do lead to idea maybe 8-man could be good alternative. We will see how many of this year's 8-man teams will stick to 8-man next year. Committing to 8-man is only way it can succeed. If everyone just uses it in some years and moves back up first time they can get their roster back up, it will be tough to sustain an 8-man division.

I I also read that Vanlue is very low on numbers.

Vanlue should be ok this year as have a little better numbers than in the past (upper teens this year) but have only around 6 combined 9th and 10th graders this year on team. So only a matter of time until they drop football or go to 8 man (if even have enough for that).

I think it is very unfair of Elgin to go week by week. Letting teams know now would give them a chance to find teams. Stop holding on hope that you can get it done, either commit to playing with your 18....(Vanlue has done it for years in a far superior football conference than the NWCC). If you don't think you can play then cancel now and allow teams to find opponents for the rest of the year. Don't put other kids/schools/communities in jeopardy.

The NWCC gave Fostoria St. Wendelin the boot when they canceled their games midway through the year....that was quite a while ago, but it did happen. If I was the NWCC I'd give Elgin opponents the option of finding new opponents from here on out....there aren't a lot of options, but it could be better to let them have time to explore.

That being said, the rest of the NWCC teams have small rosters as well, so maybe it won't be an issue going forward.

The NWCC gave Fostoria St. Wendelin the boot when they canceled their games midway through the year....that was quite a while ago, but it did happen. If I was the NWCC I'd give Elgin opponents the option of finding new opponents from here on out....there aren't a lot of options, but it could be better to let them have time to explore.

That being said, the rest of the NWCC teams have small rosters as well, so maybe it won't be an issue going forward.
Didn’t Marion Elgin 2-3 years ago have an offense that was putting up crazy run numbers like 500-600 yards a game? Granted it wasn’t great competition but between that and being the largest in the NWCC you would think they’d have more than 18 kids out.

Ligonier Valley in PA is the only open team I know of right now. Their opponent canceled on them for the same reason Elgin did. Low numbers after the first two weeks. Plus LV is a very good physical team and they feared more injuries would happen.

How are teams looking for this week? Earlier in this thread it was mentioned that Elgin is planning to play their remaining games, is that still the plan? Another thread was discussing Matthews ended their game early on Friday due to injuries, are they planning to play this weekend? So many small schools are on the tipping point. I follow this closely as I live in Ottawa Hills and we are still looking for a week 10 game. Also, our schedule for next season has been decimated by teams going to 8 man (Toledo Christian already, most likely Stryker, Danbury is seriously considering).

Please note that I fully hope every team can stay healthy and play all of their games. It's unfortunate for the players, fans and community when they have to cancel games but it's also important to make sure the kids are safe and have a good experience. Tough balance sometimes.

As always, I appreciate any info!

How are teams looking for this week? Earlier in this thread it was mentioned that Elgin is planning to play their remaining games, is that still the plan? Another thread was discussing Matthews ended their game early on Friday due to injuries, are they planning to play this weekend? So many small schools are on the tipping point. I follow this closely as I live in Ottawa Hills and we are still looking for a week 10 game. Also, our schedule for next season has been decimated by teams going to 8 man (Toledo Christian already, most likely Stryker, Danbury is seriously considering).

Please note that I fully hope every team can stay healthy and play all of their games. It's unfortunate for the players, fans and community when they have to cancel games but it's also important to make sure the kids are safe and have a good experience. Tough balance sometimes.

For week 10, wait for PA playoffs. Teams that don't qualify or opt out can play consolation games. Canton Central Catholic did that by playing Oil City.

Vienna Mathews is playing Sebring McKinley and that should be a safe game to still play. But it's clear Mathews is in a week to week situation.

The SBC River is in trouble with SMCC and Danbury and their numbers. I think they could fill those two slots with someone else long term.

Such as which schools? The problem with the River Division IS the large number of small schools. Adding 2 more is anything but a "solution" to this perceived football scheduling "problem."

Hmm, Southern Buckeye was actually looking like the best of that non-OHSAA conference. Wonder what happened.

Latest list of Open or Unknown weeks from the posted Yappi schedules. Previous discussion thread

Week 1
Cincinnati Country Day
Cuyahoga Heights

Week 2
Lancaster

Week 3
Portsmouth Sciotoville

Week 4

Week 5
Dayton Jefferson Township
Morral Ridgedale

Week 6
Corning Miller

Week 7
Cleveland Lincoln West

Week 8
Steubenville
Tiffin Calvert

Week 9
Castalia Margaretta
Louisville St. Thomas Aquinas

Week 10
Cincinnati Winton Woods
Lancaster Fairfield Christian
Ottawa Hills
Sherwood Fairview
updated 9/15

If anyone is open this weekend, my high school Greenville in PA is looking for an opponent if possible. They were scheduled to travel to Seneca near Erie on Friday but Seneca informed them they have too many injuries. This is the second season Seneca has had to cancel a game. Canceling against Sharpsville last year.