2019 Three Rivers Athletic Conference (TRAC)

I don’t think Springfield’s defensive style matches up well vs central but I think they’re offense will be good but Central is still loaded on D.

Man oh man, I just now looked at the Regional re-alignment...had no idea Perrysburg and Bowsher moved up to D1 and the D1 schools are looped up with Dayton instead of Columbus now.

And D2-Region 7 (the new NW Ohio Region) looks loaded as all get out this season. Going to be a fun race to the end of the season.

As for this week, I'm going with:
Central 41-10 over Harper Woods who beat a decent Rennassaince squad last week, but likely aren't up to battle the Irish.
Clay over Northview 34-10, with the offense they've got, I think Clay has a decent shot to give some teams fits this year.
Findlay beats Perrysburg 27-20 with Perrysburg having a shot. This is basically a must-win for both teams if they'd like to make the playoffs this season.
Start beats Ross 20-14...not much to watch and not much to say about this one.
Lima Senior over Piqua 47-38. Giving it to the Spartans, as they don't have the drive, and they played quite well against LCC.
St. Francis 45-0 over Southview...the Cougars couldn't score against Rogers, nothing makes me think they will be able to do any different against the Knights.
St. Johns over AW 34-31...game of the week for me, as it could go any which way, and will feature two teams loaded on offense.
DCC over Whitmer 31-20, the Rocks beat Det. MLK last week, who are typically a state competitor in the high division of MI football and coupled with Whitmer almost never playing well on the road up in Novi...I just don't see the Panthers pulling it out.

I think Ross will show a lot of improvement this week. Last week they had a ton of unforced errors which really cost them in the end. Center snaps 20 yards over the QB’s head, RB fumbles, really bad INT’s into double, triple coverage.

Even with all of that they still will have the best player on the field Friday with Brown. He had a blocked punt last week. Maybe they should start handing the ball to him ?

Ross gave it all they had and hung around for awhile.

With a Frosh QB making his 1st start, those errors were about expected. I don't know who will win as it's a draw for me. Hopefully, for Ross, it's them as wins will be a premium. Start can have their usual 0-5 and still run the TCL table.

DCC over Whitmer 31-20, the Rocks beat Det. MLK last week, who are typically a state competitor in the high division of MI football and coupled with Whitmer almost never playing well on the road up in Novi...I just don't see the Panthers pulling it out.

Whitmer won the last two games in Novi and in 2013, Whitmer just wasn't a good team.

Whitmer won the last two games in Novi and in 2013, Whitmer just wasn't a good team.

Playing well and winning are two different things. They had no business winning the last game, and got bailed out by an absolutely terrible bit of coaching at the end. 2015 was the best team this side of the State Final run...this team is definitely not at that level. Just my own 2 cents, nothing more.

Last edited:
2017 the ball bounced Whitmer's way on more than one occasion. With that said the 2015 team would have beaten the 2017 team by two scores IMO. Would probably handle this years team by more.

DCC is the same old DCC this season. Big, athletic, nasty. Whitmer used to produce a couple 250lbs. plus DT's but this year they only have one. The rest are undersized which will definitely hurt vs. DCC. I'm hoping a good gameplan proves me wrong.

I also think the Clay/Northview match-up will be close game. If Simms is out it will help Clay obviously but Clay has a smaller front 7 going against a BIG Northview front with a big RB. Then Downing will catch you sleeping and throw it over the top to Hudik. Waite is not a bad team and Northview methodically beat them without Simms for 2/3 of the game.

I also struggle to figure AW out? I watched the tail end of the Findlay game and AW looked beat. Guys were getting up slow. Now they will face a better team this week? Perhaps playing 4 TRAC teams in a row is starting to show its wear and tear? Should be a great game nonetheless.

2017 the ball bounced Whitmer's way on more than one occasion. With that said the 2015 team would have beaten the 2017 team by two scores IMO. Would probably handle this years team by more.

DCC is the same old DCC this season. Big, athletic, nasty. Whitmer used to produce a couple 250lbs. plus DT's but this year they only have one. The rest are undersized which will definitely hurt vs. DCC. I'm hoping a good gameplan proves me wrong.

I also think the Clay/Northview match-up will be close game. If Simms is out it will help Clay obviously but Clay has a smaller front 7 going against a BIG Northview front with a big RB. Then Downing will catch you sleeping and throw it over the top to Hudik. Waite is not a bad team and Northview methodically beat them without Simms for 2/3 of the game.

I also struggle to figure AW out? I watched the tail end of the Findlay game and AW looked beat. Guys were getting up slow. Now they will face a better team this week? Perhaps playing 4 TRAC teams in a row is starting to show its wear and tear? Should be a great game nonetheless.

One thing for sure, you always know what your going to get with DCC, nothing super fancy, just old school smack you in the mouth.

I think Clay might be just a tad underrated and I think N'View has one of the better coaches in NW Ohio, but missing Simms is a huge blow.

I wasn't super impressed with AW during the CCHS scrimmage, but I'm sure their top 8-12 plyers didn't play. I think SJJ might be just a tab better than most of us think, I like SJJ by 10+

Unsure if they would want to drive to CCHS either? No parking AND you might get shot (cchs1983 is steaming).View attachment 3503

Your last sentence is as spot on as I've ever seen.

Presumption but based off of the fact that everyone loses sight of the fact that the NLL is a very good stable and secure league. Why would I give up travel to another NLL team's facility where there is parking and stands and concessions to head to Woodward where there is no parking and some small stands?

No one likes being the small guy in a conference so you constantly hear about Maumee and Napoleon leaving but that is based mostly in a fans perception that they could win championships in a different conference. They are right to a degree but there is far more that goes into the consideration than just wins and losses.

Not steaming, few other emotions but that's not one of them. Changes will be made, but if bad people want to do bad things, nobody can stop them.

Just a side note from Friday, it might be because I'm getting older or maybe because my 8th grade athlete has been hurt for going on 13 months, but he's an 8th grader, but a senior at CCHS tore his ACL Friday and he's waited 3 years to get his chance after playing behind last years amazing senior class. I just feel really bummed for this kid, who waited, worked hard, never complained, had a great pre-season and then this, high school career over. Just sucks.....

Very difficult for him I'm sure. Best wishes on his recovery.

Hoping Whitmer has a bad game, or whatever it takes to win. Thinking maybe to drive up to that one as my one, see another team game before play-offs. I think it's going to be near a sweep for the TRAC teams. Start might take Fremont Ross. We'll see.

Good health to all.

Very surprised about SJJ tonight. With them getting hammered and also Findlay getting stomped, its not a good night for the TRAC versus the NLL.

Very difficult for him I'm sure. Best wishes on his recovery.

Hoping Whitmer has a bad game, or whatever it takes to win. Thinking maybe to drive up to that one as my one, see another team game before play-offs. I think it's going to be near a sweep for the TRAC teams. Start might take Fremont Ross. We'll see.

Good health to all.
^^^^

LOL, what a doosh. Oh wait, that's ME!

Fortunately, Whitmer sucked long enough to pull out a win. They almost blew it by being good but then started to suck again and pulled out a win. Good game with a very bizarre sequence of penalty calls, which I still haven't figured out.

2015 Whitmer 19 DCC 11
2017 Whitmer 14 DCC 7
2019 Whitmer 14 DCC 7

Who said they do not fair well in Novi??

I saw some highlights of DCC vs. King and was impressed with the Shamrocks. Nice win for the Panthers. It is nice to have a workhorse RB.

TCC vs. DCC will be very interesting next week at Gallagher.

SJ? AW? Was AW looking ahead last week? Either way that is a really nice win for Brungard and AW. Keeps the youngens wanting to stay home.

Perrysburg is no surprise. The Jackets have been playing for this class for 4 years. Next weeks match-up vs. Whitmer should be really good.

Clay handled Northview who was without Simms. Nice win. Northview is huge upfront and has numbers. Unsure why they insist on playing so many kids both ways?

^^^^

LOL, what a doosh. Oh wait, that's ME!

Fortunately, Whitmer sucked long enough to pull out a win. They almost blew it by being good but then started to suck again and pulled out a win. Good game with a very bizarre sequence of penalty calls, which I still haven't figured out.

I see your persona persists across all boards and forums...good to know.

Clearly from my picks I dont have a feel for this season yet lol.

None of us could figure out that penalty sequence either, I've never seen a 15 yard procedure penalty before in my life...and everyone was equally confused by the no KO Out of Bounds penalty in the 3rd Quarter despite it not being close to their returner.

All in all, a very good game to watch, played quickly. Without Banks this Whitmer team would be struggling to hit .500 this season though...that offense is basically riding on him against any competitive teams (and rightfully so, through 2 games and 45 carries, he still hasn't been dropped for a loss and is averaging around 8.5 ypc). Extremely impressed by the defense, something that was generally assumed to be a weak point for that team. 153 yards allowed on 53 plays, with two of them going for 38 and 24....outside of those DCC had no answer, and of Whitmer can figure out how to mitigate the bad penalties on long drives, they wouldn't have sweated out that final drive.

And to be fair...I said they dont play well, not that they dont win games there. After seeing the King score last week, I thought this years DCC squad MAY have been able to finally take advantage of it, but alas, they still couldn't do a thing. They were much smaller than previous iterations on the lines which definitely helped out. Going to be interesting to see how they handle Central's defense.

Last edited:
I thought the same thing about the King win. I saw some highlights and thought whew, those guys look good. But I say that every year about DCC. They always look like world beaters. Banks actually said in the Blade that "they" (DCC) do not tackle hard. Ehhhh. Lol.

I heard Brungard say something about scrimmaging Whitmer and CC and then opening against Findlay. SJ scrimmaged Start and opened against BG. Probably some truth behind that. SJ will rebound and give teams fits. Too much talent not to.

Nice win Panthers, way to represent the TRAC. See what I get for picking SJJ? I should know better.
Should be a good game next Friday at the Gallagher

AW-SJJ
Talent apparently got their yards. Brungard's coaches apparently smart enough to work around that. Must be a heck of a play caller. I might get a long play-offs season.

Whitmer-DCC
No doubt, DCC lined up big. Not sure an all-time Whitmer could line as that big. Maybe it was the uniforms made them look bigger to me than they are. That first drive they played big. That RB-FB-monster in the backfield was state wrestling champ. Then this Whitmer defense came out of somewhere.

I've got to hand it to the DCC Community. Not only did one of their bus drivers offer to drive me, wearing my enemy paraphernalia into the game from their tailgate lot (Catholic girls always like the bad-boys) but after they game, they were all like, 'next' thing. No whining and complaining heard about coaching or reffing or ... nothing. Kids goofed off. Adults talked. Also got a chance to walk around that arbor they have. Very relaxing. Has this cool wreathlike sculpture made of Saints.

Next hope: Panthers have 12 more games of "they don't tackle hard." I know TCC will tackle hard.

Last edited:
AW-SJJ
Talent apparently got their yards. Brungard's coaches apparently smart enough to work around that. Must be a heck of a play caller. I might get a long play-offs season.

Whitmer-DCC
No doubt, DCC lined up big. Not sure an all-time Whitmer could line as that big. Maybe it was the uniforms made them look bigger to me than they are. That first drive they played big. That RB-FB-monster in the backfield was state wrestling champ. Then this Whitmer defense came out of somewhere.

I've got to hand it to the DCC Community. Not only did one of their bus drivers offer to drive me, wearing my enemy paraphernalia into the game from their tailgate lot (Catholic girls always like the bad-boys) but after they game, they were all like, 'next' thing. No whining and complaining heard about coaching or reffing or ... nothing. Kids goofed off. Adults talked. Also got a chance to walk around that arbor they have. Very relaxing. Has this cool wreathlike sculpture made of Saints.

Next hope: Panthers have 12 more games of "they don't tackle hard." I know TCC will tackle hard.

Good post.

The DCC campus (their 3rd since inception) is really impressive. And they are as big as they look. They have always been that way. Tom Mach, their legendary coach of Cromwellian nature (3 yards a cloud of dust), had a ton of success using his bigs against anyone else's littles. At the end of Mach's career DCC started to "open" things up a bit and new coach Dan Anderson has done the same. The problem is, in my humble opinion, that when they jump from tight I formation or T formation one series to spread on the next they lose their identity to a degree. I firmly believe if they lined up like they used to in T formation and Winged-T and smash the ball down your throat with a couple bootlegs mixed in they would have more success BUT like everyone else these days they feel compelled to run some form of the spread. Either to show the world they can or to attract kids? Maybe both. If you are going to run the spread, then run the spread. If you are going to play ball control smash mouth then so be it. Tough to do both. They also have something like 30 seniors and 35 juniors and 40 some sophomores every year so why in the world they insist on having kids go both ways is beyond me? I've always said if they had a Joe Palka at HC they'd be on par with Iggy and Eds and be in the USA Today top 25 just about every year.

I digress.

I noticed the same attitude after attending in years past and winning. I think it has to do with the fact that football means so much more to us commoners than them. Either way, DCC has a distinct business model that has worked for them. Kudos.

Back to football - I'd be shocked if the Shamrocks score more than 7 against Central. The question will be can Central score more than 7?

Battle for the Oil Barrel next Friday as well.

Clay starts the season 2-0 for the first time since 2004. If they can beat their East Side rival it will be the first time they are 3-0 since 1992.

AW-SJJ

Whitmer-DCC

DCC has always been great to us as well...definitely a model for being a good host and friendly competition. That RB may have been the biggest guy on the their whole O Unit. He had to have been at least 6'4", 240, and he could move. I was surprised with how many guys played both ways this year for them, and that he wasnt one of them. Going away from him in the 3rd Q and much of the 4th was odd, but they moved right back to him in the last drive and it almost cost Whitmer.

Also, Easton St. Clair may have been the most rich private school name I've ever heard lol.

Good post.

The DCC campus (their 3rd since inception) is really impressive. And they are as big as they look. They have always been that way. Tom Mach, their legendary coach of Cromwellian nature (3 yards a cloud of dust), had a ton of success using his bigs against anyone else's littles. At the end of Mach's career DCC started to "open" things up a bit and new coach Dan Anderson has done the same. The problem is, in my humble opinion, that when they jump from tight I formation or T formation one series to spread on the next they lose their identity to a degree. I firmly believe if they lined up like they used to in T formation and Winged-T and smash the ball down your throat with a couple bootlegs mixed in they would have more success BUT like everyone else these days they feel compelled to run some form of the spread. Either to show the world they can or to attract kids? Maybe both. If you are going to run the spread, then run the spread. If you are going to play ball control smash mouth then so be it. Tough to do both. They also have something like 30 seniors and 35 juniors and 40 some sophomores every year so why in the world they insist on having kids go both ways is beyond me? I've always said if they had a Joe Palka at HC they'd be on par with Iggy and Eds and be in the USA Today top 25 just about every year.

I digress.

I noticed the same attitude after attending in years past and winning. I think it has to do with the fact that football means so much more to us commoners than them. Either way, DCC has a distinct business model that has worked for them. Kudos.

Back to football - I'd be shocked if the Shamrocks score more than 7 against Central. The question will be can Central score more than 7?

Eh Michigan football is different. It’s weird but my little sister went to HS up there in the Detroit suburbs and the difference was stark. They obviously care but Ohio takes HS football pretty seriously overall

They also have something like 30 seniors and 35 juniors and 40 some sophomores every year so why in the world they insist on having kids go both ways is beyond me?

I don't recall any of them going down with cramps. Whitmer's bigs were falling on that last drive but DCC couldn't completely exploit. It's hard to get that "private school" miracle out of the head and think they'll pull the game out on that last drive, but Whitmer's kids were really hitting it, even as some of them fell with cramps. DCC wasn't going to get in anyways. The fumble just made for a cooler ending.

How about those Lima Senior Spartans!!!! Riverside looking down this year. Keep the kids' heads on straight and might start out 3-0. 4 conference wins looking more doable with SJJ's performance.

TRAC: bottom half up, top half down?

SJJ doesn't fail to disappoint me; every year, over-hyped. Also, congratulations to the Little Giants! I picked Start, but was proven wrong.

Usually. I think maybe this year they have the players to deserve a bit of hyping. The failure is in other corners this time I think.

OT: as much as I would like a local team to get to state final, it's really getting harder and harder to root against Mentor. Wins over St. Eds and Iggy with five more 2-0 still on their schedule. smh

Usually. I think maybe this year they have the players to deserve a bit of hyping. The failure is in other corners this time I think.

OT: as much as I would like a local team to get to state final, it's really getting harder and harder to root against Mentor. Wins over St. Eds and Iggy with five more 2-0 still on their schedule. smh
Mentor did the same thing last year and lost to Eds in playoffs. Tough to beat Iggy and Eds once in a season let alone twice.

Coach Trivs last season. I hope he can pull it off after being bridesmaid 3 (4?) times. Great coach.

Trying to find the story on the St. Johns game. The blade app has zip zero coverage of it. Guess their darlings Embarrassed them?

Trying to find the story on the St. Johns game. The blade app has zip zero coverage of it. Guess their darlings Embarrassed them?
Surprisingly, the link was front page on-line last night. More money in Whitehouse? They even used the word "rout." Of couse a different team they would have said "bashed," "slaughtered" or something more graphic but it's progress.