2019 Three Rivers Athletic Conference (TRAC)

cchs1983

St John's are the clear favorite for the 2019 league championship with the best set of skill kids that NW Ohio has seen in recent memory. Whitmer, St Francis and Central Catholic will battle for second place.

A couple late signings.

PeShean Wimberly from Whitmer to BGSU (partial).
Adam Ummel from Clay to Toledo (preferred walk-on).

I thought Ummel was the only real player from Clay with a shot at playing the next level. Glad to see UT is giving him a shot.

I'm hearing rumors that Ross coach Chad Long is bringing former Tiffin Columbian coach Steve Gilbert onboard as Offensive Coordinator.

I'm hearing rumors that Ross coach Chad Long is bringing former Tiffin Columbian coach Steve Gilbert onboard as Offensive Coordinator.

Wow. Interesting. I know Gilbert was at Tiffin University for the past 5/6 seasons.

Keith, any word on Lehman and college? Hotz?

It's been a head scratching week watching kids/families choosing to PAY MONEY to be a PWO instead of a free ride at smaller schools. Maybe my brain is getting old, but I just don't understand turning down FREE over having to have college debt for years.

Noticed that BGSU didn’t sign a QB in the 2019 recruiting class, looks like R Keller will be a perfect match for the Falcons with an early opportunity to play.

They had two in each of the last two classes I think. I didn't pay much attention to them this year but last year's QB, a true Fr I believe, seemed to have a good hold on the job. I think opportunity would be normal, not counting the possibilities of transfers and grad transfers both in and out. New coach, could go different direction though.

It's been a head scratching week watching kids/families choosing to PAY MONEY to be a PWO instead of a free ride at smaller schools. Maybe my brain is getting old, but I just don't understand turning down FREE over having to have college debt for years.

Mark Porter talks about this all the time. The myth of playing DI and kids, and their parents, getting caught up in that game.

Especially when one considers NFL rosters mixed with all kinds of players from every level.

While most smaller schools do not give "free rides" even the non scholarship D-III can come close with financial aid to a good student with good test scores. The kid with a D-II offer usually gets 1/3 for athletics and can make up close to the other 2/3's with academic (Only special D-II guys get 50%-75% with 32 full scholarships to go around).

As far as laterally movement and playing downhill I thought Whitmer's Jack Linch was as good a pure MLB as there came. Many kids have the "look" to be a LB and are good enough but some, very few, have the knack that it takes to be great. Jack was undersized at 5'11"/6' but no one read and played forward and sideline to sideline like him. Not to mention he was nosey and nasty and he played with low pad level and his hips were always underneath him. He had offers from many D-II's, especially the good ones, and gave them up to be a PWO at UT. As a PWO you have to overcome so much. That coach/position coach recruited guys that are not you for a reason so he already has it in his head that they are better. With the turnover of coaches these days then you have a new position coach come in with a new philosophy and want his own guys in there. Although Jack Linch eventually earned a scholarship and cracked the starting line-up he was buried over lessor players who were coaches darlings. Had he gone to Grand Valley State I am convinced he would have been an All-American (and had some deep playoff runs).

The same can be said of many other talented kids that have taken the same route (Derich Weiland, Liam Allen, and now Justin Sheits, Victor Copeland, and PeSean Wimberly). I wish the last three well, and am glad BGSU is at least entertaining locals again.

Another thing Mark Porter said that has always stuck with me; "go where they want you, not where you want to go." Makes sense.

Mark Porter talks about this all the time. The myth of playing DI and kids, and their parents, getting caught up in that game.

It’s a direct reflection of the social media craze in this county and I’m not sure who likes getting stroked more, the kid or the parent?!?!?!??

If I have to read one more tweet how grateful and blessed Jimmy JR is to get his 3rd offer from SW Indiana University at the University of DePaw....

Usually the parent.

I've coached some great kids over the years with moron parents. And it has gotten worse. Everyone is going to play at OSU and moonlight with the Yankees. :D

Don’t ever confuse me with that guy ��

I originally posted about Dontrez Brown getting an offer from Western Michigan. I misread his tweet and had thought he committed but it’s only an offer.

I stand by what I said. Here is a post from the North Coast Sports Forum from October 6, 2018. Keith Avatar
Oct 6, 2018 at 8:04am Keith said:
Wow. Sandusky was soooooooo good early on. What happened the last two games?

Maple City Fan responded....

I told everyone prior to Tiffin game that nobody was staying within 3 TDs of Sandusky from Region 10 on Yappi. Xoxo, Roscoe

Read more: http://ncoast.proboards.com/search/...by=0&display_as=0&search=Search#ixzz5glx64nHE

He’s just being a troll. He tries to stir up the Fremont fans by making insane and outlandish comments. He hasn’t gotten any biters during basketball season so he went to the bread and butter: football.

Nobodys forcing you to read it. You probably still have a landline phone and a newspaper delivered to your home?

As far as laterally movement and playing downhill I thought Whitmer's Jack Linch was as good a pure MLB as there came. Many kids have the "look" to be a LB and are good enough but some, very few, have the knack that it takes to be great. Jack was undersized at 5'11"/6' but no one read and played forward and sideline to sideline like him. Not to mention he was nosey and nasty and he played with low pad level and his hips were always underneath him. He had offers from many D-II's, especially the good ones, and gave them up to be a PWO at UT. As a PWO you have to overcome so much. That coach/position coach recruited guys that are not you for a reason so he already has it in his head that they are better. With the turnover of coaches these days then you have a new position coach come in with a new philosophy and want his own guys in there. Although Jack Linch eventually earned a scholarship and cracked the starting line-up he was buried over lessor players who were coaches darlings. Had he gone to Grand Valley State I am convinced he would have been an All-American (and had some deep playoff runs).

I'd argue that Jack Linch definitely made the right move taking a PWO spot with Toledo. He did eventually earn a scholarship. He also became a MAC champ, played significant minutes at LB, was a ST monster, and can now always reflect on a football career playing at the highest level of college football. Those accolades hold much more meaning than AA honors at a DII school, IMO. I loved watching him play for the hometown Rockets.

Nobodys forcing you to read it. You probably still have a landline phone and a newspaper delivered to your home?
I don't go looking for them; I can't help what shows up on FB. But, your crack acknowledges I'm a bit old-school, and believe me, self-promotion doesn't do any TEAM any services. For the record, many programs are successful because of old-school tactics.

Last edited: