2019 Suburban League American

It is sad that Cuyahoga Falls is stuck in the larger league simply because they have a higher enrollment. They are not overly competitive in any sport. They should be looked at in the same way that other midsize Suburban schools. If they moved to the SLA, it might give them enough momentum to be able to compete in most sports.

Agree, flip Barberton and Cuy Falls and that is a huge improvement for the league. Barberton and Wadsworth the past few years would have been a dandy. One of the two keeps screwing up the playoff matchup.

Agree, flip Barberton and Cuy Falls and that is a huge improvement for the league. Barberton and Wadsworth the past few years would have been a dandy. One of the two keeps screwing up the playoff matchup.
That's true, open24.

Seems like smaller schools and a little more travel for Revere.
Revere falls smack dab in the middle with enrollment:
Lakewood 1,033
Valley Forge 877
Parma 865
Normandy 748
Rocky River 641
Revere 626
Buckeye 624
Bay 597
Holy Name 473
Fairview 398
Elyria Catholic 303

Maybe they are willing to consider traveling some to avoid the generally larger and more competitive schools in the SL?

Any scrimmage notes from the other SL Schools?

Barberton held their own against St.V.

Barberton has good QB's in the Senior, Sophomore and Freshman classes. The lines are solid but could use a little more depth. Skill positions are off the charts. LB's and DB's are deep and talented. The kicker has great leg strength and accuracy, only a soph.

The Magics will host Orville this Friday at 3pm and finish their scrimmage schedule on Thursday the 22nd vs. Wadsworth at 6pm.

Any scrimmage notes from the other SL Schools?

Barberton held their own against St.V.

Barberton has good QB's in the Senior, Sophomore and Freshman classes. The lines are solid but could use a little more depth. Skill positions are off the charts. LB's and DB's are deep and talented. The kicker has great leg strength and accuracy, only a soph.

The Magics will host Orville this Friday at 3pm and finish their scrimmage schedule on Thursday the 22nd vs. Wadsworth at 6pm.

Highland scrimmaged Friday morning but I didn't hear much about that. Wadsworth (National Conf) had intra squad yesterday but apparently had some guys nicked up on offense, nothing serious, so it seemed coached changed plans and it was more of a high rep practice.

Was at Barberton/St. V scrimmage. Too early to get total picture but here's my take. Basically starters got 2, 10 play series. Physically St. V took it to Barberton early but Barberton at the end of second series, Barberton hit a big pass TD and that got the Magics playing with some fire. Until that point St. V was bullying them, especially the Soph RB Linberger who was throwing Barberton defenders off like flies.

My impressions of Barberton...

Kicker was great. Strong leg, hit everything solid. No misses on 6 kicks, the last of which was 47 yards. Very nice weapon.

Punter, hard to say. 2 punts, 50 and 35 yards in air. Boomed first one. One thing, punter took a 45 degree step/hop to his right as first step both times and was really slow in his get off. * no live rush so maybe he was just taking his time. If that is his normal routine, pressure the left side and would be a problem. By the time he kicks he's between the tackle and guard.

Offense - mixed bag and I'm sure coaches didn't show alot. QB solid. Workmanlike, quick and decisive with the ball. They hit alot of quick passes to edge and gave receivers opportunities to make plays. Haywood hit a sweet, quick slant for a td in the short yardage portion and then probably best play of scrimmage threw a beauty to Watkins I believe for about a 50 plus yard TD. Didn't see where Watkins came from but seemed like a flag pattern from the slot. Was side open but tough angle and ball had to have some loft because of a defender in the area. Great throw.

No running game to speak of. Had maybe a 7 yard run early in short yardage but in main scrimmage throught St V was stuffing them.

#5 in the slot was the most dynamic. Super elusive and fast. Small dude. Had about a 15 yard run on a jet sweep where he made about 10 people miss on a play that was initially defended well. He had other plays. Magics would have 4-5 plays of nothing then #5 would do something. Early he was the main offensive threat then the other 5 made some plays also.

O-line seemed small but active. 3 holding penalties while starters were in. No real push in the run game although St. V front 7 is well regarded.

Defense, got bludgeoned early by Linberger on the ground. LB's solid. Plucinski? #17 had a nive play where he filled a big hole and made a nice stick although back still got about 4 yards. Could have been a big play because hole opened up big. Other defensive player that stood out was one of the d ends. He had a great explosion first step that drew a hold. Was making the St V tackle look bad. Think towards the end of 2nd series the Magics d had forced hold, sack, sack. St. V passing game was awful. Hard to get a read on db's although they looked athletic. St. V did have a receiver repeatedly beating his man deep but the qb couldn't get him the ball. Missed 2 easy long td's.

Overall, solid but unspectacular. First scrimmage, sure a lot of teams look like this. I will say, the Barberton 2's and 3's dominated. Alot of talent. QB Lee came in 3rd series and led 4 play 65 yard td drive. Once the 1's were out, Barberton killed St.V.
The 1's felt like St. V won but Barberton came on at end of second series on O and the on D. So St.v won first quarter, Barberton won second. Barberton killed them in the second half.

Highland scrimmaged Friday morning but I didn't hear much about that. Wadsworth (National Conf) had intra squad yesterday but apparently had some guys nicked up on offense, nothing serious, so it seemed coached changed plans and it was more of a high rep practice.

Was at Barberton/St. V scrimmage. Too early to get total picture but here's my take. Basically starters got 2, 10 play series. Physically St. V took it to Barberton early but Barberton at the end of second series, Barberton hit a big pass TD and that got the Magics playing with some fire. Until that point St. V was bullying them, especially the Soph RB Linberger who was throwing Barberton defenders off like flies.

My impressions of Barberton...

Kicker was great. Strong leg, hit everything solid. No misses on 6 kicks, the last of which was 47 yards. Very nice weapon.

Punter, hard to say. 2 punts, 50 and 35 yards in air. Boomed first one. One thing, punter took a 45 degree step/hop to his right as first step both times and was really slow in his get off. * no live rush so maybe he was just taking his time. If that is his normal routine, pressure the left side and would be a problem. By the time he kicks he's between the tackle and guard.

Offense - mixed bag and I'm sure coaches didn't show alot. QB solid. Workmanlike, quick and decisive with the ball. They hit alot of quick passes to edge and gave receivers opportunities to make plays. Haywood hit a sweet, quick slant for a td in the short yardage portion and then probably best play of scrimmage threw a beauty to Watkins I believe for about a 50 plus yard TD. Didn't see where Watkins came from but seemed like a flag pattern from the slot. Was side open but tough angle and ball had to have some loft because of a defender in the area. Great throw.

No running game to speak of. Had maybe a 7 yard run early in short yardage but in main scrimmage throught St V was stuffing them.

#5 in the slot was the most dynamic. Super elusive and fast. Small dude. Had about a 15 yard run on a jet sweep where he made about 10 people miss on a play that was initially defended well. He had other plays. Magics would have 4-5 plays of nothing then #5 would do something. Early he was the main offensive threat then the other 5 made some plays also.

O-line seemed small but active. 3 holding penalties while starters were in. No real push in the run game although St. V front 7 is well regarded.

Defense, got bludgeoned early by Linberger on the ground. LB's solid. Plucinski? #17 had a nive play where he filled a big hole and made a nice stick although back still got about 4 yards. Could have been a big play because hole opened up big. Other defensive player that stood out was one of the d ends. He had a great explosion first step that drew a hold. Was making the St V tackle look bad. Think towards the end of 2nd series the Magics d had forced hold, sack, sack. St. V passing game was awful. Hard to get a read on db's although they looked athletic. St. V did have a receiver repeatedly beating his man deep but the qb couldn't get him the ball. Missed 2 easy long td's.

Overall, solid but unspectacular. First scrimmage, sure a lot of teams look like this. I will say, the Barberton 2's and 3's dominated. Alot of talent. QB Lee came in 3rd series and led 4 play 65 yard td drive. Once the 1's were out, Barberton killed St.V.
The 1's felt like St. V won but Barberton came on at end of second series on O and the on D. So St.v won first quarter, Barberton won second. Barberton killed them in the second half.

Barberton had a couple players, and I think St. V did also, that were held out with very minor injuries.

Barberton's potential hazard this year is depth. It will have to come from the very talented Sophomore class as there are only three juniors on the team.

Tallmadge had a successful scrimmage against Firestone. They won 3 TDs to 0. Defense was solid. Offense was able to move the ball effectively. Cautiously optimistic. Next weeks scrimmage will tell us more.

Any details on the Tallmadge/Streetsboro scrimmage? I wasn't able to make it but was hoping someone might have some details.

i havent heard much about anyones scrimmages. im really interested in Kent, Tallmadge, Revere and Copley

Roster numbers based on MaxPreps 2019 team rosters.

Highland. 85
Barberton. 63
Copley. 61
Kent. 57
Reveer. 53
Aurora. 50
Tallmadge. 29

Some of these numbers don’t match what has been reported previously here on Yappi.
Aurora has close to 70 10th thru 12th and another 30+ on freshman team

For a D3 school, that’s a big team. What is the enrollment of freshman boys? What is the enrollment of boys 10-12?
I stand corrected, 62 in 10-12, 33 in 9th. I don't know enrollment but 9th and 10th combined have 67. Aurora will be back completing sooner rather than later. 7-3 last year and first playoff miss since 2004. No predictions but they will compete this year. Oline is bigger and stronger this year.

I stand corrected, 62 in 10-12, 33 in 9th. I don't know enrollment but 9th and 10th combined have 67. Aurora will be back completing sooner rather than later. 7-3 last year and first playoff miss since 2004. No predictions but they will compete this year. Oline is bigger and stronger this year.
So in 2018-2019 enrollment was 986, if that number is close this year, then 1-5 boys play football, that’s impressive.

Last edited:
Anyone know whether the Suburban League raised ticket prices for this season? At a meeting earlier this Summer, Tallmadge said that tickets would be $7 for adults and $4 for students (presale only for student discount). Just read from Ravenna that they were telling their fans the tickets were still $6. Anyone know what ticket prices are at their school?

Last edited:
Anyone know whether the Suburban League raised ticket prices for this season? At a meeting earlier this Summer, Tallmadge said that tickets would be $7 for adults and $4 for students (presale only for student discount). Just read from Ravenna that they were telling their fans the tickets were still $6. Anyone know what ticket prices are at their school?
Barberton pre-sale is $6 for adults and $4 for students and seniors.

Last edited by a moderator: