2019 Suburban League American

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Let's get the conversation started. Who are the teams to look out for in 2019?

American Division
Aurora
Barberton
Copley
Highland
Kent Roosevelt
Revere
Tallmadge

Week 1 Games:

2019-08-30 7pm Aurora at Brush
2019-08-30 7pm Barberton at Norton
2019-08-30 7pm Highland at Wadsworth
2019-08-30 7pm Twinsburg at Copley
2019-08-30 7pm Canton South at Kent Roosevelt
2019-08-30 7pm Buckeye at Revere
2019-08-30 7pm Ravenna at Tallmadge

Week 1 Games:

2019-08-30 7pm Aurora at Brush-Aurora 28-14
2019-08-30 7pm Barberton at Norton-Barberton 31-14
2019-08-30 7pm Highland at Wadsworth-Wadsworth 27-20
2019-08-30 7pm Twinsburg at Copley-Twinsburg 35-7
2019-08-30 7pm Canton South at Kent Roosevelt-Kent 27-7
2019-08-30 7pm Buckeye at Revere-Revere 24-14
2019-08-30 7pm Ravenna at Tallmadge-Ravenna 34-14

Copley might be the basement dwellers of the Suburban league with four players from last years team transferring out. Kent got a great coach from Tallmadge after spending cuts. Barberton has outgrown the American League and I think realignment is in order sooner than later.

Kent had an opportunity to hire HOF coach Nemic, who was willing to work anywhere in the programs to help, when Akron U staff was released. Assistant school superintendent said no thanks. So Nemic and several young coaches that were at Kent left with Nemic and are now at Stow. I believe Nemic is the Defensive Cooridinator at Stow. Team pic on twitter shows 40 varsity and JV, 15 freshman.

Last edited:
Copley might be the basement dwellers of the Suburban league with four players from last years team transferring out. Kent got a great coach from Tallmadge after spending cuts. Barberton has outgrown the American League and I think realignment is in order sooner than later.

SL realignment was coming from the beginning of the league. Schools go through ups and downs. Right now, Barberton is in an up and schools like Tallmadge, Kent and Copley are in a down. A decade ago it was the opposite. I think there will be some serious talks about this soon if they havent started already. I know Revere and Kent are looking elsewhere.

With Highland and Barberton in a region with Avon, I can again enjoy the SL threads throughout the season. I like the new R6 set-up. All playoff games will be in NEO. Good for the fans. Wadsworth is also in R6.

SL realignment was coming from the beginning of the league. Schools go through ups and downs. Right now, Barberton is in an up and schools like Tallmadge, Kent and Copley are in a down. A decade ago it was the opposite. I think there will be some serious talks about this soon if they havent started already. I know Revere and Kent are looking elsewhere.
Revere? That seems strange. Is it the long trips to the East side of Akron? They seem to be in a league that is both geographically and competitively what they should hope for. Not sure why they would look elsewhere. I get Kent because they have long struggled and are out on the fringes of the league.

Revere? That seems strange. Is it the long trips to the East side of Akron? They seem to be in a league that is both geographically and competitively what they should hope for. Not sure why they would look elsewhere. I get Kent because they have long struggled and are out on the fringes of the league.

Hearing they want to head north

I wouldn't mind not having to make that trip as they are one of the more difficult drives for me in the SLA but I would miss their competitiveness. They seem to be sold in football, baseball, and basketball any given year.

I wouldn't mind not having to make that trip as they are one of the more difficult drives for me in the SLA but I would miss their competitiveness. They seem to be sold in football, baseball, and basketball any given year.

Just what I am hearing. They are looking at a league to the North. Kent regretted the move to the SL from the start. I think the SL is destined to condense to one division with:

Stow
Falls
Hudson
Wadsworth
Nordonia
Twinsburg
Barberton
Highland

Just what I am hearing. They are looking at a league to the North. Kent regretted the move to the SL from the start. I think the SL is destined to condense to one division with:

Stow
Falls
Hudson
Wadsworth
Nordonia
Twinsburg
Barberton
Highland
That looks like a solid league. Wadsworth is a bit of an outlier but has a great sports program.

Anyone have turnout numbers for the SLA teams so far this season?

Roster numbers based on MaxPreps 2019 team rosters.

Highland. 85
Barberton. 63
Copley. 61
Kent. 57
Reveer. 53
Aurora. 50
Tallmadge. 29

Some of these numbers don’t match what has been reported previously here on Yappi.

Highland. 85
Barberton. 63
Copley. 61
Kent. 57
Reveer. 53
Aurora. 50
Tallmadge. 29

Some of these numbers don’t match what has been reported previously here on Yappi.

I dont have exact numbers for Barberton but they looked to have 22-25 seniors and around 30 in the freshman and Soph classes. the junior class is small though.

Tallmadge was practicing on the new football field today. Just got a quick glance but numbers looked better than I feared. Still not where they were in the past but a small Junior class is really hurting overall numbers (6 potential returning from Sophomore season).

2018 Team Records:
Aurora (7-3) at Brush (4-6)
Barberton (10-1) at Norton (8-2)
Highland (8-2) at Wadsworth (12-1)
Twinsburg (5-5) at Copley (3-7)
Canton South (2-8) at Kent Roosevelt (2-8)
Buckeye (10-2) at Revere (6-4)
Ravenna (8-2) at Tallmadge (5-5)

Highland. 85
Barberton. 63
Copley. 61
Kent. 57
Reveer. 53
Aurora. 50
Tallmadge. 29

Have no idea where Max Preps pulled these number from, but Copley has no more than 40 total including freshman. Not that hard to count while they practice.

SLA looking like the haves and have nots this year. Highland, Aurora, and Barberton are the haves.

Kent, Copley, Tallmadge are the have nots. Not sure which way Revere goes.

Maybe Tallmadge will surprise some people. There is one new player for Tallmadge that will have a shot at all-league as a wide receiver. One of the best basketball players in the league decided to play football his Senior year.

I don't think Highland will be that good this year. 6-4 or 7-3 I see 2 or 3 losses for them in non conference play, which means they would have to run the table in league play to have a shot at playoffs. Royalton will be tougher than normal, I hear Medina is set for speed and Wadsworth is no slouch. Barberton will be tough and if Aurora can return to glory it could be a 5-5 season for the Hornets and their first year QB Profitt

Lets just say that Highland will know if they are going to the playoffs after Week 4 Barberton. That is a tough first 4 games.

I am not sure what to say about Barberton yet. They really worked hard in the off-season in the weight room and they are bringing in kids from a successful Freshman and JV season last year. Losing their stud RB from last year will be a challenge but I have heard they are talented and deep in that position. Defense will be the key ingredient this year, along with the chemistry on the Offensive line. Coaching staff with Gotto at the head coach will always keep this program highly competitive.

Do Wadsworth and Barberton scrimmage the week before the season? I have seen it listed and I've also heard they weren't playing. Anyone know?

Do Wadsworth and Barberton scrimmage the week before the season? I have seen it listed and I've also heard they weren't playing. Anyone know?

Yes, they scrimmage the week before opening game

With turf, I think that Barberton has the best stadium in the SLA. Still think Wadsworth has the best stadium overall but Barberton is closing in fast. Barberton definitely has the better parking between the two.

On the consolidation issue, I wonder where Revere is looking to go. Buckeye went to the Great lakes Conference. Kent has not seemed to be a good fit in the SL. Falls has become so awful that they could use another league.

It is sad that Cuyahoga Falls is stuck in the larger league simply because they have a higher enrollment. They are not overly competitive in any sport. They should be looked at in the same way that other midsize Suburban schools. If they moved to the SLA, it might give them enough momentum to be able to compete in most sports.