2019 St. Ignatius Wildcats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cardz
I’d like to hear your perspective if football was changed to basketball.

What do you mean? If the best of Illinois basketball were playing the best of Ohio basketball? I really don't know which state has the stronger basketball reputation. I still think Ohio would have the edge, even though the northern part of Illinois (around Chicago) is pretty strong. But football to basketball is apples and oranges. Two players in basketball can completely transform a basketball team. Besides at the QB position, the same is not true in football. We know depth matters so much more.

Ignatius might not be going into the season considered "the best' in Ohio, but probably a top 5 team and at worst a top 10. I acknowledge that Ignatius has probably the toughest schedule in Ohio. Win 5 and they are in. Are there 5 wins on their schedule? I still think so. They recovered after starting 0-2 last year. But if they start 0-2 this year, that would be a disaster. There are probably at least 2-3 teams on the schedule better than Loyola and Mentor.

The best of Ohio should beat the best of Illinois, right? Ohio is a much better football State than Illinois. Certainly a whole lot deeper. I’m not saying it’s a walk in the park or anything, but I would expect tougher challenges from Hoban, Eds, St X, and Mentor. Admittedly, I know nothing about Loyola or Illinois football...so my opinion isn’t worth much. It is an away game for both teams, so no advantage there.
No advantage???
Loyola players get to sleep in their own beds and travel a little over an hour the day of the game.
Ignatius players have to travel four and a half hours the day before the game and sleep in a hotel.

No advantage???
Loyola players get to sleep in their own beds and travel a little over an hour the day of the game.
Ignatius players have to travel four and a half hours the day before the game and sleep in a hotel.

That's the argument the SWO posters use for the NEO advantage for Canton finals.

Ignatius should thoroughly dismantle Loyola due to the facts alone that Loyola returns only a handful of starters AND plays no scrimmages against other teams due to state rules. This will be their first time strapping them up against live competition outside of themselves.

If the game is week 3 I have Loyola easily. I have Naperville Central over Pickerington Central.

If it were basketball IL demolishes Ohio, without a doubt.

I had no idea that Connor Cmiel (spelled it right this time) was that big. I don't know what his 40 speed is, but I wonder if has gotten any college looks.

The soph class has talent. The sophs that made varsity could actually see some game time and not just be placeholders.

The starting center is a soph already.

I understand the challenge of a long road trip, but Loyola will probably spend close to two hours on a bus considering they drive through Chicago. But Loyola might be a middle of the road team on Ignatius’ schedule. I expect Hoban, Eds, St X, and Mentor to be tougher challenges. I think Ignatius can go 1-3 in those four, 5-1 against the rest. 6-4 could host a playoff game. 5-5 should still get them in.

If the Loyola D-line averages 215, it will have a huge disadvantage, since the Ignatius 0-Line averages 6'3"" and 282 lb. You can watch the game on SIBN.

offense so far looks like has some work to do. Line not giving good time, maybe roll out and shorter passes. Overshooting longer throws because of pressure up middle every time...

A few comments: Ignatius kicking game might be the worst in years. The punter has to learn not to put backspin on his kicks. The place kicker was unable to put it in the endzone -- his only kick led to a 50-yard return. Now, a very nitpicking point. Before they assign the broadcasting team, they should be required to take an extensive test on the rules of high school football. Way too often, they do not know what's transpiring on the field.

I'm glad they passed on the very first play after the interception. Easiest way to restore confidence and boom, get a passing touchdown that drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.