2019 St. Ignatius Wildcats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildcat97

The 2018 season was interesting to be sure. The team made progress from a team that at the beginning looked to be a team that wouldnt make playoffs. In the end, 3 losses were to playoff teams, 2 of which are likely state champions. Also defeated some good teams. However, while the defense was good enough to win a title, the offense was one of the leanest we have seen since the title run began.

Losing Eichenberg and Elad is huge for defense, but do have some returning contributors. On offensive side of ball, have wideouts back, Cmiel is a magician, can the Cats find an improvement in the QB pool to get them the ball?

Can they improve on the O line?

Maybe even most of all, can they stop being so predictable in play calling? It isnt good when a fan who watches all the games know what is coming, let alone the opposition. I respect Restifo as a man and the coach he has been beyond words, but is it time to allow some fresh blood in the picture as well, ie let him be a qb coach, and let someone else call plays?

Not sure what schedule will look like based on contracts (obviously the usual suspects Mentor,Ed's, X). Do the contracts with Hoban, Euclid, Elder, Moeller continue?

Thought on what we see and need to see going into next year? It has now been the longest title drought since the title run began.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have heard that nothing short of 15-0 State Champions will be acceptable to some alumni.
Dont care about regular season record, but honestly yes when you have the most titles in state, that sets expectations. Do I think it will keep trailing off? Yes I do based on circumstances

Very early and kids can progress, but next year's team will not get much help from the current soph class. I would be shocked if there are more than 2-3 juniors getting significant playing time next season.

As an aside, it's sad to be talking 2019 after the first round of the playoffs. I was wrong about this year's team after the 0-2 start. They really turned things around.

Hopefully a trip to Canton at the end of a season is in the near future.

Very early and kids can progress, but next year's team will not get much help from the current soph class. I would be shocked if there are more than 2-3 juniors getting significant playing time next season.

As an aside, it's sad to be talking 2019 after the first round of the playoffs. I was wrong about this year's team after the 0-2 start. They really turned things around.

Hopefully a trip to Canton at the end of a season is in the near future.
I think the end of season would be in Columbus next couple of years. I dont think the construction cluster in canton is helping efforts

Next year's senior class has talent and returning experience at many of the positions. Daugstrup (who was injured this season) is perhaps the one closest to an Eichenberg or Elad in college D1 potential.

Returnees with starting experience* or with some experience from being in the rotation:

OLine
Schwitzgebel* (NEO Lakes all district 2nd team)
Georges*
Owen Keane

Wide Receivers
Cmiel* (NEO Lakes all district 2nd team)

Tight End
Lang*
Daugstrup* (injured this season, started last season; ranked #14 in Ohio’s class of 2020 by Rivals)

Running Back
Welsch

Quarterback
Hanna (limited playing time and experience, appears to be athletic with a strong arm)

DLine
Gerace*. (DE)

Linebackers
McNamara*
Francz*

DBacks
Cmiel*
Welsch* (NEO Lakes all district honorable mention)

Special teams
DeVengencie (Punt and Kick returner; roster lists as DB or WR – role for next year)

Kickers
McConnville
Mangan (current sophomore)

Current sophomores (appears not to be a strong class) – those on varsity roster
Adler (DE) – gained some experience during the season
Hubbard (LB)
Conway (LB)
Simcak (RB)

Last edited:
I didn't feel like searching for the 2018 thread. Congrats to the Cats who made the all state team, including first teamers Elad and Eichenberg.

Chico put Eichenberg in the same class as Trent Zenkewicz. To this guy, that's saying a ton because IMO Zenkewicz is at the very top all time of Ignatius football players, and also among the greatest in Ohio history.

The freshman team was undefeated, with victories over Hoban, Ed's, and Massillon among others. As far as the schedule, I believe Elder and Hoban are off.

2018 All Ohio

1st team: Eichenberg and Elad. Well deserved honor for both

2nd team: Otter

3rd team: Abbott and McMahan

Why is Hoban off the schedule? I would think they would want to continue the series based on this year's win.

Why is Hoban off the schedule? I would think they would want to continue the series based on this year's win.
Based on the schedule available, week 1 is open for Hoban. How many years did they play Ed's? Was that 2 years?

I still don't get it. Hoban looks loaded next year again with Trayanum, Clark. Hamm, Stallworth, Mick, Ganeous, etc.

Why not play again? The Knights look like the clear favorites.

I still don't get it. Hoban looks loaded next year again with Trayanum, Clark. Hamm, Stallworth, Mick, Ganeous, etc.

At least you guys got a return home game. They left their Holy Cross brothers hanging.

Agree. Not only is Hoban loaded next season, their sophomore class is outstanding and Ignatius/St. Edward's sophomore classes can be viewed as below both schools' historical standards.

It pains me to admit but Ed's is the premier program in Ohio now with 4 titles since 2010. They will be approaching 90s Ignatius levels with a few more wins.

You were burying the Cats after the first two games this year. Now you are burying even before the next season begins.

Right, I was the only person burying them and I admitted I was wrong.

I posted facts about Ed's. Sorry you don't like it.

Last edited:
All of the old school Ignatius posters have moved on. Wonder how they would view the current status of both programs.

All of the old school Ignatius posters have moved on. Wonder how they would view the current status of both programs.

I’ve been watching these schools compete for going on 40 years. I would say the FB programs at Ignatius and St. Edward are currently pretty competitive with each other, as evidenced by the game results at all levels this season as well as seasons past. Granted the Eagles have won 4 FB state championships this decade while the Wildcats have won 1. The Cats had state championship quality teams in ’12 and ’16, but a play or two meant the difference between winning and not achieving that goal in those seasons. There’s very little difference between the programs each year and we have a quality, respected rivalry that brings out the best in both.

I’ve been watching these schools compete for going on 40 years. I would say the FB programs at Ignatius and St. Edward are currently pretty competitive with each other, as evidenced by the game results at all levels this season as well as seasons past. Granted the Eagles have won 4 FB state championships this decade while the Wildcats have won 1. The Cats had state championship quality teams in ’12 and ’16, but a play or two meant the difference between winning and not achieving that goal in those seasons. There’s very little difference between the programs each year and we have a quality, respected rivalry that brings out the best in both.

Agreed. Since Ed's breakthrough championship season in 2010, the Eagles are 4-5 against the Cats in the regular season and 1-2 in the playoffs. Ed's has simply capitalized more on their playoff opportunities, and hasn't had the "down" years that Ignatius did in 2010 and 2015.

I'd go even further than you in terms of when both schools have been championship caliber (or at least championship capable in the given landscape). In 2011, both teams were at that level, with Ignatius going on to win it all. In 2012 and 2013, both teams fell to Mentor but had teams capable of winning it all. Ditto for 2016 and 2017. Even this year, if the Cats had gotten by Ed's in the first round, that defense was capable of taking them the distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.