2019 Pittsburgh Steelers

Glad I decided to not go to this Trainwreck. Pitt ia not playoff caliber
No kidding. The offense is not playoff caliber no one ever thought it was. People are just enjoying that they are playing meaningful games thru week 16. Still beats being a Bengal or Browns fan. There are better days ahead.

One position, and a good coaching staff would be able to take what they do have and maintain a competitive, a middle-of-the-road offense. It hasn’t. And the evidence shows that even with Roethlisberger, the offense was going to struggle this season. Thus, my complaints about the coaching staff being inadequate.

so one BAD game vs. a Patriots D that played the first half of this season better than ANY team has played in like 30 years and that's your "evidence" that shows that even with Ben the offense would struggle??? nice try, but that dog don't hunt.

None of that matters one iota. Draft position, whether they were drafted, practice squad, waiver wire acquisition...none of it. It doesn't say anything about how they fit in the team nor their ability right now.

- JuJu has missed three games, and yet the offensive scheme is so bad you can't even really tell he's not there.
- DJ is a very good WR, another WR steal feather-in-the-cap for the Steelers draft-wise - I give Tomlin credit for apparently having an extraordinary eye for WRs.
- Practice squad, shmactice squad; Whyte looks like a quality find. Very, very fast and elusive. He's undersized, so he can't be an every down back, but I think he adds much-needed speed to the backfield.
- Duck has a solid arm, good accuracy, and poise. He reads defenses well, and displays great leadership ability. I'm not saying he's a great quarterback, but devaluing him because he came from FCS or wasn't drafted is ignorant in the literal sense: you're ignoring how he's actually performing while referencing pre-draft measurements that are completely irrelevant to the now.
- The OL is full of All-Pros, yet can't seem to open up a running lane to save their lives. And the QB is frequently having to make quick reads due to pressure. That's not good blocking, and it has nothing at all to do with the skill position players. I thought losing Munchak would hurt, but I didn't expect the line to go from league best to a complete mess.

You can change my mind, but I'm not going to buy into apologetics. Sorry.

what you're doing above is pumping all these guys up in our your own mind, making them BETTER than what they really are, so as to feed your argument that the coaching is the problem, when it's not.

trying to make DJ out to be an all-pro WR when he's a rookie is just nonsense. he's not GOOD yet. he's a rookie and we all know how rookie WR's do in this league. most don't start well and just because he's shown "flashes" doesn't make him great. pair him with a 4th string QB and look what it does???

don't try to make Duck out to be some above average QB either. he's just a small step above Rudolph, which isn't saying much. good accuracy??? 4 INT's??? that's good accuracy??? c'mon, man.

Decastro and Pouncey are the only ALL-PRO's on the line. the rest are solid but not to their level so don't overhype them either. even when Munchak was there this team couldn't run the ball so that argument doesn't fit either. they were always better at pass protection for Ben than run blocking but it seems they've digressed in both of those now.

Steelers, i believe, are the ONLY team with a chance to make the playoffs without the QB they started the year with. that's called COACHING. when you lose the most important player on the team, start 0-3, then still give yourself a shot at the playoffs = great coaching.

i may be wrong on the QB thing, but find me another team that lost their starting QB in the 2nd game of the year and still has a chance to make the playoffs.

You're right. They aren't playoff caliber, but they make sneak in at #6. Tennessee has the Saints and Texans again. Then we will get the pleasure of going to either Kansas City or New England
The offense is just putrid. Buffalo was the better team, by far. I wouldn't mind going to NE for the WC round, but if our first round opponent would be KC then I would just rather miss the playoffs than to get embarrassed.

With the understanding that I would probably be praising the OC if it worked I think the turning point in the game was fumble by Johnson and Connor at the 6 yd line running the gadget offense. I just looked at my son and we both shook pir heads.

Last edited:
With the understanding that I would probably be praising the OC if it worked I think the turning point in the game was fumble by Johnson and Connor at the 6 yd line running the gadget offense. I just looked at my son and we both shook are heads.

if the snap is actually where it's supposed to be, maybe the play works, maybe it doesn't, but he probably doesn't fumble it because the timing would have been "on". either way, it's one of those that if it doesn't end up as a turnover, then so what. since DJ ended up fumbling it, it turns into the "worst call in the history of Pittsburgh sports" on social media.

Lol, crusaders reminds me of everyone in Cincinnati who fell in love with AJ Macarron over Dalton or those that overvalued every try hard baseball player in the city after Pete Rose. Talent matters, the Steelers lack a lot of it on offense, but Tomlin still grinds out wins.

DITTO!!!!

There is no defending the wildcat call. Even if it somehow by the grace of God managed to gain positive yards, it would still have been a terrible call. You don’t get cute in that situation. Especially against such a tough defense.

What about the 4 picks from the QB you said has a “solid arm, good accuracy, and poise....reads defenses well, and displays great leadership ability” and not an excuse for losing? Lol.

What about the 4 picks from the QB you said has a “solid arm, good accuracy, and poise....reads defenses well, and displays great leadership ability” and not an excuse for losing? Lol.
I’ll give him a pass on the last two. Just trying to make something happen, not sure both may have been 4th down. He did miss what looked like a wide open Washington to his right on the first one but the Bills were in his face.

when they started doing that wildcat a few weeks ago it was a given that it would be just a token effort to hand the ball off. That takes a lot of practice reps to get good at and that just isnt happening with two RBs.

Dumb to even try to hand it off. and when it goes wrong from the start a RB isnt going to be smart enough to abort and just run it.

I’ll give him a pass on the last two. Just trying to make something happen, not sure both may have been 4th down. He did miss what looked like a wide open Washington to his right on the first one but the Bills were in his face.
The 1st one I'll give a slight pass. It ended being just like a punt. The one that White ran back to our 18 was a killer.
Agree on the direct snap to Conner at the 10. Horrific call!! But let's not forget Berry's Jr High punt. For this team to win against ANY team, they need to limit penalties, TOs, and be solid on special teams. Essentially Tressel ball. Dont have the horses to overcome these things anymore
Buffalo was better. I wouldn't say WAY better. The main difference IMO was the QB position. One is a 1st round 2nd year guy who (I'm assuming without looking at his numbers) starting his 30th game. The other is a free agent rookie starting his 4th or 5th game.

The Bills are 3rd against the pass and 21st against the run. So naturally, Tomlin and Fichtner go pass heavy: 38 passes, 15 runs. With that sort of strategery, it doesn’t matter if it’s Hodges or Rudolph, the offense is screwed.

So, this week they’ve got the Jets. 2nd in run defense, 19th in pass. My money is on the Steelers giving Conner a bunch of carries. You know. The standard is the standard and we don’t live in our fears.

He’s the only other option. People forget he didn’t play that poorly until the first Browns game. Gave the Steelers a chance to win in the 49er, Ravens and Seahawk games.
I haven't forgotten. If Duck struggles expect Mason. If Pittsburgh was eliminated maybe they see if the kid can regroup. But with playoffs on the line they're gonna do whatever they can to win

I still have a hope of Tomlin being shown the door but it's not looking good.

For the draft, they need to look at defense, specifically ILB, OLB, CB, and FS.

The entire starting offense will be back next season and there's really not much to add unless they think highly of a RB. For depth, I'd like for them to snag Terry McLaurin to replace DHB.

Duck benched. Likely end of his career as he just isnt very good but did give Steelers a shot o adrenaline a few weeks that was needed.

My God I hope we miss the playoffs...it'll be embarassinf

I think Titans have to lose and Steelers have to win. Conference record maybe? Titans better?
Both currently are 6-5 in the AFC. and will either both finish 7-5 or 6-6 in the AFC if a tie is to occur If both win, looks like you'd have to continue down the list of tiebreakers (record vs. common opponents, etc.) The more interesting scenario would be if both lose and finish 8-8. You'd also potentially have Indy who plays Jacksonville next week and Oakland who plays Denver next week having chances to finish at 8-8. Who wins that 4-way tiebreaker?

FWIW, Tennessee is listed in the 6th spot on my sports feed right now, but I don't know if any tiebreakers were applied to come to that determination.

NFL.com is usually good about posting playoff scenarios for teams still in the hunt but has nothing posted right now. I imagine they'll have something up by tomorrow.

Last edited:
As of right now Tennessee is in over Pittsburgh due to strength of victories. I'm not sure what happens if multiple teams are 8-8.

As of right now Tennessee is in over Pittsburgh due to strength of victories. I'm not sure what happens if multiple teams are 8-8.
If all 4 of those teams would be 8-8, they’d also all be 6-6 in the AFC. I’m pretty sure Titans would be 1st team out b/c divisional tiebreak would place them behind Colts. Colts would be 3-3 in the South while Titans would be 2-4. Colts would be next team out since they lost to both the Raiders and the Steelers. It then comes down to strength of victory which the Raiders held over the Steelers heading into this weekend.

Titans have no way in at 8-8 if Colts are also 8-8. Colts have no way in at all due to loss to Steelers but are needed to eliminate Titans if all are 8-8. Steelers’ path in at 8-8 would be Titan loss, Colt win, and Raider loss. Easiest path of all, of course, would be win to finish 9-7 plus Titan loss.

Last edited:
I’m thinking more and more that the playoffs should just be the teams with the 6 best w-l records. I guess there is a downside to this approach. Anyone know what it is?

Offense scored 10 points in each of the last 3 games.
To be honest, finishing 8-8 with the 4th QB, top wr leaving and replacement gets hurt, RB hurt, center missing time, it truly was remarkable. Most franchises woulda had a 2 win or worse season.

At least we finished above the SB fav Browns. Still remember the Browns radio guy after their opening TD drive on the season, "OBJ, OMG, how can anyone stop this team'

To be honest, finishing 8-8 with the 4th QB, top wr leaving and replacement gets hurt, RB hurt, center missing time, it truly was remarkable. Most franchises woulda had a 2 win or worse season.

At least we finished above the SB fav Browns. Still remember the Browns radio guy after their opening TD drive on the season, "OBJ, OMG, how can anyone stop this team'
Sounds like one of your posts.