2019 Pittsburgh Steelers

I don't know why people are dismissing Cleveland the rest of the season.

Bengals x 2 = 2 wins.
Cardinals = win.

The kicker will be the Old Browns. They beat them at in Balt already so a win at home against the Ratbirds is plausible. 9-7 will get them in.
I’m not even sure they beat Cincinnati in Cincy. They pretty much were dominated by the stat line by the Bengals today.

I’m trying to figure out what Berry saw on that punt fiasco. At first I thought Tomlin had called a fake and I said well Tomlin just lost coach of the year consideration. Anyhow Duck did good enough and didn’t kill them. Tough one next week in the Bills.

i read that it was called off by the guys up front but Berry didn't hear it.

thank goodness it didn't cost them the game.

this team is 8-5.........i mean, really unreal considering no Conner, Juju, Ben, etc. Tomlin ain't perfect and if he did call for that fake at our own 30, up 10, then shame on him. that and the mismanaging/play calling inside the redzone that cost us/gave Cards an extra 30 seconds or so were bad. but the rest of game was solid.

first punt return TD since 2016, i believe? i was thinking last week, in the entire league, how many punt return TD's have there been? i just don't remember many and i watch a lot of football. i'm guessing maybe 5 or less in the whole league all year? just my thought.

probably won't beat Buffalo Sunday night but can beat Jets and Ravens should lock up #1 seed before week 17 which makes their last game meaningless but very MEANINGFUL for the Steelers. legit shot to finish 10-6 and get a WC.

who woulda thunk it?

i read that it was called off by the guys up front but Berry didn't hear it.

thank goodness it didn't cost them the game.

this team is 8-5.........i mean, really unreal considering no Conner, Juju, Ben, etc. Tomlin ain't perfect and if he did call for that fake at our own 30, up 10, then shame on him. that and the mismanaging/play calling inside the redzone that cost us/gave Cards an extra 30 seconds or so were bad. but the rest of game was solid.

first punt return TD since 2016, i believe? i was thinking last week, in the entire league, how many punt return TD's have there been? i just don't remember many and i watch a lot of football. i'm guessing maybe 5 or less in the whole league all year? just my thought.

probably won't beat Buffalo Sunday night but can beat Jets and Ravens should lock up #1 seed before week 17 which makes their last game meaningless but very MEANINGFUL for the Steelers. legit shot to finish 10-6 and get a WC.

who woulda thunk it?
I think the Bills game is a tossup at Heinz Sunday night.. Steelers historically do very well in that situation.
I heard the same thing about the punt fiasco, somehow Berry didn’t get the memo. Apparently the Steeler saw something in film study that showed the Cards were vulnerable is some punt receiving snaps. Even if they would have stayed with the original plan and it worked I don’t think it was necessary, up 10 , your defense playing well under 10 minutes in the game.

But 3rd string QB? That’s not easy.

I don't really care about "3rd string". Duck is a decent QB whether or not he's a backup. Tomlin stuck with Rudolph way too long. A poor coaching decision. Miraculously, it didn't completely tank the season, thanks in large part to the arrival of Fitzpatrick to bolster the defense.

Lots of teams lose key players and still manage to not look completely lost. Even when Ben was in there the first couple weeks, they looked horrible. The problems aren't all on losing Ben or JuJu being out a couple weeks. The problems, particularly on offense, start with poor coaching.

I'll give Tomlin credit for doing what he does, and that's keep the team motivated. But my issues with him are coaching specific. His game management is bad. His game preparation is bad. The only real difference between him and Freddie Kitchens is Kitchens coaches for the Browns.

I'm a Browns fan and hate the Steelers as much as most Browns fans. But I have to acknowledge all that they have lost (Big Ben, JuJu, AB, LeVeon, Connor) and yet they keep winning. And yet some Steelers fans still want to hate on Tomlin. I don't get it. Count yourselves as very fortunate to have him.

I don't understanding the logic. Losing good players doesn't then mean you no longer have good players. The talent the Steelers have on offense should be plenty; there's no reason to be near the bottom of the league.

People look at Tomlin's record and go goo-goo over it, but they're not really looking at the details. The Steelers have beaten up on bad teams: Bengals twice, Browns once, Chargers, Dolphins, Cardinals, Colts, and Rams. Combined opponent record: 33-70-1. 1 win over a team that's currently .500 or better.

The offense is barely able to move the ball. The OL has seemingly forgotten how to block. The only decent thing they have going right now is the defense, and they're going to have to show up in a big way if they're to beat the Bills because the offense is going to be lucky to score more than 10.

Last edited:
I don't understanding the logic. Losing good players doesn't then mean you no longer have good players. The talent the Steelers have on offense should be plenty; there's no reason to be near the bottom of the league.

People look at Tomlin's record and go goo-goo over it, but they're not really looking at the details. The Steelers have beaten up on bad teams: Bengals twice, Browns once, Chargers, Dolphins, Cardinals, Colts, and Rams. Combined opponent record: 33-70-1. 1 win over a team that's currently .500 or better.

The offense is barely able to move the ball. The OL has seemingly forgotten how to block. The only decent thing they have going right now is the defense, and they're going to have to show up in a big way if they're to beat the Bills because the offense is going to be lucky to score more than 10.
You don’t understand the logic that losing starters (some pro bowl players and league leaders) and replacing them with lesser talent....not at one position, but 3-4...not unimportant positions, but skill positions notably the most important position on offense....would lead to a significant downturn in production? Which leads to fewer points? Which leads to losses? You don’t understand that logic?

And they aren’t near the bottom of the league, they are 8-5 winning 9 of last 10, and in the playoff hunt.

Regarding who they have beat, it doesn’t matter really. I know close only counts in horseshoes but they should have won v SF and went to OT v Ravens and if memory serves me we’re leading Seattle late. Fumbles by Connor and Juju late were big in those games.
This current offense is not very good I agree. It will be interesting to see if they can get a spark from Juju on Sunday. (I don’t think Connors return means much). They will have to rely on the D to fill the void. If they beat the Bills ,50/50 shot, they are probably in if they handle the Jets (which they should but). Ravens will be interesting in that they may rest some key players depending on their PO situation. The Steelers nearly lost to the winless Browns a couple of times by playing the B team in a meaningless game at the end.

don't try to come on here and give Tomlin ANY credit, guys, because Cru ain't havin' it. yes, Cru tries to give his occasional jab like "i'll give credit for Tomlin in keeping the guys motivated" kind of thing but always follows it up with some other mistake Tomlin made. It wouldn't matter if the Steelers won 50-0, Cru would find something to nitpick about Tomlin. Cru is the type of fan who would have rather seen the Steelers go like 2-14 after losing Ben in the hopes that Tomlin got fired. That's fine. not sure how rooting for a team's coach to get fired is the way to go through a season but to each his own. be whatever kind of fan you want to be. the easiest kind is always the "armchair coach", the one who always knows what the right call to make was, especially AFTER whatever call/decision/play didn't work.

I believe the biggest disappointment this year is how well they seem to be over performing. Can you imagine if previous teams with a lot more talent had over performed?

Would have 8-9 SB titles...

I believe the biggest disappointment this year is how well they seem to be over performing. Can you imagine if previous teams with a lot more talent had over performed?

Would have 8-9 SB titles...
Got that right. I was thinking the same the other day.

don't try to come on here and give Tomlin ANY credit, guys, because Cru ain't havin' it. yes, Cru tries to give his occasional jab like "i'll give credit for Tomlin in keeping the guys motivated" kind of thing but always follows it up with some other mistake Tomlin made. It wouldn't matter if the Steelers won 50-0, Cru would find something to nitpick about Tomlin. Cru is the type of fan who would have rather seen the Steelers go like 2-14 after losing Ben in the hopes that Tomlin got fired. That's fine. not sure how rooting for a team's coach to get fired is the way to go through a season but to each his own. be whatever kind of fan you want to be. the easiest kind is always the "armchair coach", the one who always knows what the right call to make was, especially AFTER whatever call/decision/play didn't work.

The facts are what they are. People want to praise Tomlin when there's not much to praise. Same in-game management problems. Same poor preparation. All you have to do is be honest and actually look at the details. Maybe you're satisfied with a coach whose only quality attribute is his ability to get his team up to play, but some of us expect better than that.

Last edited:
Crusaders “facts” are he doesn’t think Tomlin manages games well or prepares his team. Lol.
I like Tomlin and I don’t think he needs to go but Cru is right that some of his game management decisions leave me scratching my head. Let’s just say he’s not in the top 10 NFL coaches in that area in my humble opinion.

Right. Let's compare Mike Tomlin, who is of a coaching skill akin to Freddie Kitchens, to Bill Belichick. Lol.

The facts of the Steelers schedule and Fitzpatrick remain. You don't get to ignore them just because you thought you had ammunition against the naysayers. Pointing to record just makes you look like some cheap drive-by analyst.

Last edited:
Now the criticism is Pittsburgh is only beating bad teams. But the criticism prior was Pittsburgh lost inexplicably to bad teams in the past. Which is it? Cant haven't both ways.
And there are a WHOLE lot more injuries than the aforementioned names. Sean Davis. Tuitt. Samuels and Snell have missed games. Practice squad guys like Whyte and Cain playing significant minutes. Modifying the stagnant offense by utilizing Samuel's in the wildcat at times. You say Minkah was 'gifted'. Do you think Tomlin has any input on acquisitions? Ill bet he has a voice at the table. Tomlin ain't Belicheck but he'll outcoached Freddy 8 days a week (which ain't saying much). If Freddy had this team their record would be -1 and 14
Yeah, the Bill's and Jets game will be toss ups. I think the Ravens will still be playing to clinch the 1 seed week 17. And if they do have it sewn up I dont see them sitting guys. Unless Lamar hamstring is still nagging. This is not some veteran team that needs rest and is playoff tested. The Ravens are a young bunch that Harbaugh will want to keep them sharp. The only team I can see resting will be New England if they have the 3 seed. Veteran group who can take work 17 off and will play the 6th seed next week.