2019 Pittsburgh Steelers

In the NFL, you take the ball first in OT.

Plain and simple. You get the first shot to win the game, and if you settle for a FG and the other team matches, you get ANOTHER shot at winning with the next score.

I think the only time you don't is if there is like a 35+ MPH wind going one way and then maybe you KO and you take the direction instead.

Tomlin’s reasoning was that he wasn’t happy with the return game.

They wound up starting at their own 30 instead of their own 25 if they’d chosen to receive and just taken a touchback. Big victory there, Mike.

Tomlin’s reasoning was that he wasn’t happy with the return game.

They wound up starting at their own 30 instead of their own 25 if they’d chosen to receive and just taken a touchback. Big victory there, Mike.
All things being equal, you take the ball.
I worked all weekend, so when I heard that this morning I was furious.

Trade him for draft picks?

I can handle that.

Even though I have supported MT over the years , I tnink it could be time for a change this offseason.
I could see ownership wanting an experienced guy to help with the rebuild but if this job comes open I believe there wont be a shortage of applicants.

I think MT was the right choice over Grimm and Whiz If I remember correctly.

There are a lot of theories about why Tomlin actually got the job. The trotted-out story was that he "wowed" Dan Rooney, which I honestly find hard to believe. Dan was not a moron, and nothing Tomlin has ever done or said has "wowed". His press conferences are like an SNL dumb-person-trying-to-sound-smart skit. The "underground" stories are a bit more interesting. Grimm supposedly had the job but then did something to piss off the Rooneys, so they pulled the plug. By the time that happened, Whisenhunt had already been grabbed by the Cardinals.

Last edited:
Minkah has been a phenomenal addition to the defense. Trading a first rounder for a 22 year old, Pro-Bowl-caliber player (and a 4th round pick) is perfectly fine.

In the NFL, you take the ball first in OT.

Plain and simple. You get the first shot to win the game, and if you settle for a FG and the other team matches, you get ANOTHER shot at winning with the next score.

I think the only time you don't is if there is like a 35+ MPH wind going one way and then maybe you KO and you take the direction instead.

Yes, 100% yes
3rd string rookie free agent QB or not.
However, it DID work out. We held them to a 3 & out. We didn't lose because of that decision.
Next week @San Diego. We suck in Cali.

There are a lot of theories about why Tomlin actually got the job. The trotted-out story was that he "wowed" Dan Rooney, which I honestly find hard to believe. Dan was not a moron, and nothing Tomlin has ever done or said has "wowed". His press conferences are like an SNL dumb-person-trying-to-sound-smart skit. The "underground" stories are a bit more interesting. Grimm supposedly had the job but then did something to piss off the Rooneys, so they pulled the plug. By the time that happened, Whisenhunt had already been grabbed by the Cardinals.
I could see MT coming into an interview and being very charismatic. I have NO ISSUE with the hiring of MT.

None.

If you could go back in time and tell me that the coach who replaced Cowher would have 65% winning percentage, two SB appearances and 1 title, 8/13 playoff appearance (with one season, '19, derailed by the QB injured week 1), then I would take it.

If whomever replaces MT wins 65% of his games, wins us a SB, takes us to another, and gets us into the playoffs well over half the time then I would be very happy.

Does he do some stupid stuff....of course. Fans of almoste very single coach not named Bill Belicheck have fans who will wholeheartedly believe their coach does stupid stuff and is an idiot, that is just the nature of it. When you are a fan of said team you see every move.

I am 100% fine with his career in PItt, I just think it is time to move on

I don't care about Tomlin's winning percentage. His success is proof that anyone with half a football mind can win in the NFL if they're handed world class talent, D-ck LeBeau and Bruce Arians as DC/OC, and have a good GM to replenish the team.

I'm more concerned about his lack of success with one of the most talented teams of the decade. Many, many shortcomings against bad teams. Getting wrecked by other good teams/coaches regularly. Poor discipline. Poor time management. No halftime adjustments. Other coaches, even Belichick, has commented that Tomlin doesn't change anything.

Bradshaw was right about him. He's not an X's and O's guy, he's a rah-rah cheerleader.

Last edited:
Yes, 100% yes
3rd string rookie free agent QB or not.
However, it DID work out. We held them to a 3 & out. We didn't lose because of that decision.
Next week @San Diego. We suck in Cali.
You never know.

Just because Steelers couldn't score on their first possession after holding Balt doesn't mean they wouldn't have scored on the first possession after KO.

Did they lose because of that decision? Probably not, but it is still was a dumb decision.
Like I said, I think the ONLY time you don't take the ball is if the weather is that horrible in one direction

I don't care about Tomlin's winning percentage. His success is proof that anyone with half a football mind can win in the NFL if they're handed world class talent, D-ck LeBeau and Bruce Arians as DC/OC, and have a good GM to replenish the team.

I'm more concerned about his lack of success with one of the most talented teams of the decade. Many, many shortcomings against bad teams. Getting wrecked by other good teams/coaches regularly. Poor discipline. Poor time management. No halftime adjustments. Other coaches, even Belichick, has commented that Tomlin doesn't change anything.

Bradshaw was right about him. He's not an X's and O's guy, he's a rah-rah cheerleader.
The "lack" of SB's has more to do with TB12 and NE than anything MT did, or did not, do.

I agree with much of your setiment with how poor did some things, but the number one reason he didn't win more was TB12

I'm so sick of that lame- excuse. Belichick has lost games before. The Steelers get owned by him because he's been able to easily out-coach them

I will disagree about "world class talent". Let's look at the Big 3. Big Ben was a 1st round pick, but generally considered the 3rd QB against Eli and Philip. Leveon was a 2nd round pick and Antonio 6th round. James Harrison was a nomad.
And nobody on this board knows about his Xs and Os. No one. We all speculate. Terry Bradshaw, with absolutely ZERO relationship with the Steelers, knows nothing about the inner workings of that locker room or Tomlins knowledge of the game.

Dang timing and bad luck. AFC N is there for the taking this year despite the overhyped Browns. If Ben were healthy I think the Steelers had a real shot. Not saying they were going far but Sunday’s would be more interesting.

Or
Jason LaCanfora has said that Tomlin is the frontrunner to be the Skins next HC and that they'd part with draft picks to Pittsburgh. I know you're no fan of his but if he joins Dan Snyder, you had him pegged and he's dumber than you thought.
Or MT sees the writing on the wall and knows his time has ran out and wants a new beginning...

Or

Or MT sees the writing on the wall and knows his time has ran out and wants a new beginning...

I could think of a lot of other places, that would be much better, to start a "new beginning." "Hell" to start with, over working for Snyder.

I could think of a lot of other places, that would be much better, to start a "new beginning." "Hell" to start with, over working for Snyder.
The 'sure thing' always beats the unknown. If it is indeed true, he can jump from one HC job to another via this trade of picks. Other option is to get fired/leave and speculate where he may go.

Tomlin apologists are the damn worst
A couple of questions for you Cru.
1. What do you think of Tomlin's handling of Antonio Brown over the years or even the overall lockeroom?
2. Where does your disdain for Tomlin come from? He is the 2nd most winningest active coach in the NFL behind only Belicheck.

Many Steelers fans don't like him because he is black
1. What do you think of Tomlin's handling of Antonio Brown over the years or even the overall lockeroom?
2. Where does your disdain for Tomlin come from? He is the 2nd most winningest active coach in the NFL behind only Belicheck.

And many heap praise on him and avoid scrutinizing him because he’s black. But I don’t care about that. My issues with him have nothing to do with his skin color

I don’t hold him responsible for Antonio Brown being a crazy person. I’m more concerned with what I see on the field than what’s gossiped about regarding the locker room.

His record isn’t impressive to me, and it shouldn’t be to anyone, really. He inherited a championship team with a very good, veteran staff and one of the top GMs in the league. He didn’t bring anything new, he just let everyone do their thing and played cheerleader and sometimes randomly told him coordinators what kind of play he wanted to run. His record since the Cowher-era staff departed is nothing special: .600 win% and losing record in the playoffs (which includes losing to Tim Tebow and is boosted by having played a terrible Dolphins team and the Bengals imploding).

He doesn’t scheme well. He doesn’t make adjustments. Nothing changes. He’s managed to win because of having Roethlisberger and drafting absurd physical talents who can win 1v1 battles most of the time. Enough to be slightly above mediocre.

He
I don’t hold him responsible for Antonio Brown being a crazy person. I’m more concerned with what I see on the field than what’s gossiped about regarding the locker room.

His record isn’t impressive to me, and it shouldn’t be to anyone, really. He inherited a championship team with a very good, veteran staff and one of the top GMs in the league. He didn’t bring anything new, he just let everyone do their thing and played cheerleader and sometimes randomly told him coordinators what kind of play he wanted to run. His record since the Cowher-era staff departed is nothing special: .600 win% and losing record in the playoffs (which includes losing to Tim Tebow and is boosted by having played a terrible Dolphins team and the Bengals imploding).

He doesn’t scheme well. He doesn’t make adjustments. Nothing changes. He’s managed to win because of having Roethlisberger and drafting absurd physical talents who can win 1v1 battles most of the time.
He enabled AB early in his career.

As a leader, what you permit, you endorse.

If MT had come down on him tougher early on I believe we see a different story but it snowballed. By all accounts, AB has become a pretty shoddy person